FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by Blinge »

I've been enjoying Ys III genesis
Controls are a bit annoying, i swear it's eating my jump inputs.

I just had to beat an awkward retreat out of Valestine as i'm out of 'Harb' and health and ring.
Also the clocktower boss is fucking me.

I'm excited to play Ghana soon and dig into the later games.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I got the MD version not long ago and played through it. It's an enjoyable port. I'm so familiar with the PCE version it took a bit to get accustomed to some of the changes in combat and balance.

Felghana is fantastic.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Zwei's Western release has been delayed, but its website is up.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Finished Tokyo Xanadu (PSV version) yesterday. Gotta say, it's still a good game, but in comparison with Falcom's other works certainly one of the weakest titles. The fast-paced and arcadey action-gameplay is the TX' major strong point, but the segments between dungeons are way too lengthy in my book. Pacing is veeery slow and the characters are quite bland and without subtext, mainly just servicing the usual anime-stereotypes (tsundere, hikikomori, gangster kid with the good heart, bubbly idol, etc. etc.). The game tries to be Ys, Persona, and Trails at the same time, but doesn't really deliver on any one aspect. As mentioned, the action's good, but story/social-sim are pretty forgettable. Thank god for the fast-forward button! 8)

7/10

...and now: on to Ys VIII!!
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Nice Mini review CIT
Haven't played through it yet but will do once I get caught up with my back log
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Cause: https://imgur.com/a/g6f8y

Consequence:
Not sure why NISA is getting kudos for releasing a subpar product, saying nothing about plainly obvious problems with its' script prior to its' release and then announcing a bandaid when it became clear that people weren't willing to settle as they did with something like Persona 5. A month and a half is not enough time to go through this game's script, re-translate it, edit it, and proofread it without compromising heavily on at least a couple of those things. In reality, more like just a month since this translation patch presumably has to be certified to ensure it doesn't introduce more problems.

The worst part is that they talk about the game's translation like it's some great mystery how it was so undercooked and how they'd be 'investigating' the causes as though they weren't obvious to anyone with a realistic impression of how long high quality localization work really takes. The expected turnaround time for the script was insanely low, it's no surprise that the translators and editors couldn't turn in something acceptable when they were working under such insane deadlines on such a massive project. It's pretty obvious to me that the core of Ys VIII's problems stemmed from the very premise of how soon they promised it'd be accomplished. I imagine it had to have been a key factor in securing their bid for the title and considering everything that came after I can't imagine they gave a single thought about how they'd actually accomplish this until it showed up on their desks.

So they're okay with throwing the people who worked under it under the bus and do absolutely zero self-reflection on their actual localization practices. They broke basically every promise and low balled nearly every standard of acceptable localization because they couldn't see beyond the dollar signs in their eyes. I don't think they deserve a round of applause for that. Or the slightest bit of understanding. This has been an embarrassing story from start to finish.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sounds like Forrest Gump helped with the translation.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

That big hole might be an important location for Dana, indeed!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Also, the targeted release date for the PC version is now mid-December.

In one scrap of good news, they hired Durante to help fix the technical issues.
KAI

Post by KAI »

gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Obscura wrote:Also, the targeted release date for the PC version is now mid-December.

In one scrap of good news, they hired Durante to help fix the technical issues.
Good news about Durante's involvement. Getting him involved shows they care, IMO.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Do any of the characters comment on Dana's clothing and does the mistranslation make some lines funnier than intended, if so?
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

The "big hole" lines are hilarious and not intended to be, for certain. "That big hole might be important to Dana"
KAI

Post by KAI »

Beta patch for Zwei!! is out!

also

EIYŪ DENSETSU – AO NO KISEKI
(The Legend of Heroes - Trails to Azure)
Main script total: 1166281/1629086 = 71.59%+

YAY!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Obscura wrote:The "big hole" lines are hilarious and not intended to be, for certain. "That big hole might be important to Dana"
Those aren't actually referencing her clothing, though. I was thinking of something more along the lines of the comments on Velvet's clothes in Tales of Berseria (in terms of referencing her clothing. The lines in Berseria are definitely intentional).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Zwei's out on Halloween.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Where can i find Murky Mucus in YS VIII?

The Youtube Video doesn´t help as i don´t know how to get into the dungeon during night?
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

BulletMagnet wrote:Zwei's out on Halloween.
It's out on Steam and GOG now
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

http://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacr ... ion-update

YS VIII: LACRIMOSA OF DANA LOCALIZATION UPDATE
HOME / BLOG / YS VIII: LACRIMOSA OF DANA LOCALIZATION UPDATE
ENTRY ONE

Hello everyone,

My name is Alan Costa and I’m a Senior Associate Producer here at NIS America.

I'm heading up the Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA revision project directly under our president, Mr. Takuro Yamashita.

I’ve started this blog series to keep you all apprised of our progress for the revision and plan to make this a weekly update.

So, what exactly are we doing with this revision? Well, as NISA President Mr. Yamashita mentioned in his message, we are addressing the localization of Ys VIII from the ground up including the below:

- Reviewing and revising the translation with a new translator
- A complete re-edit of the script (voiced and unvoiced) as well as corrections to item names and descriptions with a new editor
- Voice re-recording
- Debugging the new build

We also intend to incorporate external feedback and I’ll be sharing more details on what exactly that entails in a later update.

This is going to come as no surprise to many of you, but after beginning this revision, we have realized that due to the scope of this undertaking, we will unfortunately not be able to release by the end of this month as we had originally intended.

I don't want to throw out a hard date then have to backtrack again, but, barring any unforeseen issues, we are currently looking to get this out early next year.

On that note, as we want this version to be the definitive release of the title, we will be holding the PC version back to coincide this this release as well.

While this does constitute a further delay of the PC version, please rest assured that this time will be used to further optimize the game.

Thank you so much for reading and please look forward to another update next week! If you have any feedback, please do not hesitate to head on over to the Steam discussion page.

Best Regards,
Alan
Ys VIII PC port pushed even further back to 2018
Xyga wrote:
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

AAAAARGH!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mischief Maker wrote:AAAAARGH!
I feel the same way, but no "AAAAARGH!" is complete without Charlie Brown.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Man, Zwei II is incredibly fun. Those of you who haven't jumped on this yet are really missing out.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

After playing a bit of Zwei 1, the way Falcom has been prending that Zwei II wasn't a sequel for the western release makes a lot more sense.

I can't believe how terrible this game's controls are -- and out of Falcom, of all developers! Pad support is god-awful, and the keyboard controls are all over the damn place and un-bindable (seriously, who thought that having "get me to the inventory" on "1" when every other key is on the "Shift" row was in any way acceptable). Control responsiveness is incredibly piss-poor -- sometimes, the game just decides it's going to stop responding to a particular key for several seconds. What buttons do on the interface isn't even consistent, with the "use" and "cancel" keys being swapped depending on what screen you're on.

I'll probably soldier on through at least some more of this simply because I'm such a Falcom fanboy, but this is really sub-par.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Xak has been calling my name lately. What's the preferred version? I know there's some translations, but I could probably make it through some raw stuff as well. Really eyeing that x68k version for the tunes and character portraits, but I'll stick with whatever's recommended to me for now.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Obscura wrote:Man, Zwei II is incredibly fun. Those of you who haven't jumped on this yet are really missing out.
I just finished this the other day, definitely a great game. It's like a kinda more goofy anime Ys (though I know Ys itself has gotten more anime over the years lol) and it works.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Is the gameplay speed comparable to Ys?

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

drauch wrote:Xak has been calling my name lately. What's the preferred version? I know there's some translations, but I could probably make it through some raw stuff as well. Really eyeing that x68k version for the tunes and character portraits, but I'll stick with whatever's recommended to me for now.
I cannot speak for the computer versions, but I can only advise that you can probably skip the PC Engine CD remake of Xak 1&2. The scrolling is smooth, yes, but you miss out on a lot of music tracks and the game's balance is fucked up (you can see my mini review in the link in my sig). The X68000 versions of the game look and sound nice, by any degree! It's a nice set of Ys clones, even if I played the so-so PCE version.

I haven't played through Xak III: The Eternal Recurrence on the PCE CD to know how it stacks up to the computer versions, though I'd imagine it would play better than the versions on the MSX or PC98. The PCE CD port was fan translated (not sure about the computer versions).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

drunkninja24 wrote:It's like a kinda more goofy anime Ys (though I know Ys itself has gotten more anime over the years lol) and it works.
Falcom is always associated with badass screaming electric guitar solos and whatnot, but IMO their penchant for cute and silly stuff is somewhat underappreciated; I certainly wouldn't mind more stuff like Gurumin or Zwei from them (then again, I am famously biased in that direction).
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

drauch wrote:Xak has been calling my name lately. What's the preferred version? I know there's some translations, but I could probably make it through some raw stuff as well. Really eyeing that x68k version for the tunes and character portraits, but I'll stick with whatever's recommended to me for now.
I played through Xak 1-3 on PC Engine. They are all 3 great games in their own way and not to difficult.
I enjoyed them a lot, mainly because of their darker storylines (especially Xak 3).
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Mischief Maker wrote:Is the gameplay speed comparable to Ys?
It's a hint slower than the Napishtim engine games, but not far off from Seven, IMO.