Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Acid_Rain

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Acid_Rain »

trap15 wrote:
Acid_Rain wrote:Would you go an buy a old CRT and tate it or would you go for a tech solution (tate the 4:3 LCD and get some toys like a scanlinegenerator, etc.)?
I personally would get (I have one already, but I would buy one if I didn't) a CRT and tate it.
Acid_Rain wrote:And if CRT: Are there TVs that don't get those purple corners when rotated?
If you degauss it, no TV should do that. Some TVs don't have a degauss mechanism you can normally access though, in which case you'll have to leave it tate'd and unplugged for about an hour for it to degauss itself.

If it still has discoloration, try turning it off, moving it a bit (swiveling, making sure it's flat, stuff like that), and try again.

Worst case, you may have to buy a "degaussing wand" and wave that over it a bit.
on the CRT topic: What size of tv would you recommend?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Whatever fits the bill...it'll vary from person to person. Lots of people here are using 20" pro / broadcast monitors, which is a comfortable size for lots of gaming, but larger sets get much heavier and tend to use more power (notably more as you move into the range above 20").
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

I have a Sony PVM-M2MDU with some geometry issues. No amount of service menu tinkering can fix it. When I rotate the monitor the corners turn green. Would a degaussing wand help the geometry? When it is upright, the geometry is off, but colors look fine.
ryu

Post by ryu »

has anyone ever tested if the iscan vp30 can process 15khz through its bnc inputs?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I think I did, but I'm not 100% sure. I think to remember that the BNC inputs just take in 31khz and higher.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:I think I did, but I'm not 100% sure. I think to remember that the BNC inputs just take in 31khz and higher.
alright. i'll have to decide between the mini and a scart to component transcoder + vp 30 (which i got already) once i'm settled on an lcd then.

anyways, i've got a geometry question. how do you fix the issue when, on the test image with the 5 circles, the circles in the corners will appear oval while the center circle is properly depicted? i only know of pin cushion and trapezoid corrections, but i don't think they could fix that.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Why would you need a scart to component transcoder for the VP30 when the VP30 does accept RGBs on both it's SD inputs already ??
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:Why would you need a scart to component transcoder for the VP30 when the VP30 does accept RGBs on both it's SD inputs already ??
huh.. uhm .. haha. that was new to me ... so i guess that's what the sync inputs next to the component inputs are for. :) they take composite sync, right? how do i go from scart rgb into those 4 cinch inputs?

could i use these alternative outputs on the sync strike for that and grab some cinch cables, cut them apart and put the loose ends into those small cable connectros of the ss? though i wouldn't know how to deal with ground in that case.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can use composite video or composite sync. Both works.

You can use a straight breakout cable (female scart to 6x cinch) or when you use a sync strike, you use VGA breakout cable (HD15 to 4x cinch).
ryu

Post by ryu »

i can only find hd15 to 3x cinch breakout cables. where could i get any of the two solutions you've suggested?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

just buy a VGA to 5x BNC breakout cable and use 4 BNC to cinch adapters.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:just buy a VGA to 5x BNC breakout cable and use 4 BNC to cinch adapters.
duh, should've thought of that myself. thanks!
justice99

Post by justice99 »

Hello,

I am using an HD BOX Pro for a while and i would like to upgrade my setup.

I link my xbox1/PS2/DC/xbox360/Wii to a rotative 5:4 LCD ( 1280x1024 ) for playing shmups and to a 16:9 LCD ( 1080p ) for several kind of games. I would like to have a better picture than the hd box pro, with scanline.

I will probably buy an arcade cabinet in couple of months, the Egret II and link it to my xbox360 ( for Cave shmups and FBAnext ), the xbox1/dreamcast and PC. In that case, i would like to be sure that all my console will work with my cab.

First of all, i would like to know if XRGB marchines are the best solution for this use.
If it is, which model should i buy? Mini or xrgb-3 ?

Thanks in advance.
-SD-

Post by -SD- »

I've been toying with the idea of building a mini cab or bartop for shmups these past couple of days, so I have a couple of questions, please....

The Dell Ultra Sharp 2007FP is one of the few 20" 4:3 LCDs available. What are people's thoughts on this monitor for shmupping regarding viewing angles when rotated and input lag? How well does the monitor handle inputs that aren't its native resolution, such as 640x480 VGA from a Dreamcast or CGA2VGA?

Does the Xbox360 natively support 1600x1200 via VGA or HDMI? And are there any issues with running the console in 4:3? I'm sure I remember something about games being letterboxed?

Thanks very much
moh

Post by moh »

All I have to offer is that certain games will be letterboxed such as akai katana, but I found that fiddling around with the monitor options, xbox resolution, and in-game options always worked out something to get rid of the letter boxing. And while I may not be using that monitor, I do use a computer monitor for shmupping on 360. its a cheapo acer (~$150) and I can BARELY notice any input lag at all.

btw, you live in peterborough! We need to shmup some time :]
best of luck with the project.
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
panzeroceania

Post by panzeroceania »

How many different versions of the Extron Emotia were there?

Extron Emotia
Extron Emotia II
Extron Emotia Extreme
Extron Emotia GX
Extron Emotia MX
Extron Super Emotia

I don't know if those names are accurate but you get the idea. Is there a complete list anywhere? it'd be cool to learn what the differences between the units are, or how they changed over the years.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You're missing the Emotia Plus. The II and, Extreme and MX were "super" models.

Emotia vs. Super Emotia: while the Emotia only accepts 480p, the Super Emotia also accepts SuperVGA and XGA. The MX and Extreme probably even higher.

GX vs. Non-GX: Genlock connection for external clock signals (which you don't need), but also component outputs on the GX models, while the Non-GX models only have RGBs.

Successor to the Emotia models were the VSC units: 50, 75, 100, 200, 300, 500, 700 and 900. 500 and higher are still sold new.

The Super Emotia II, MX (I think) and Extreme already dropped the 240p support. So did all the VSC models. if you want 240p output instead of 480i you need an Emotia (any model without "super"), a Super Emotia or Super Emotia GX. 240p can also be achieved by using a 480i model (like a VSC 500) along with an Extron RGB interface.
panzeroceania

Post by panzeroceania »

Fudoh wrote: if you want 240p output instead of 480i you need an Emotia (any model without "super"), a Super Emotia or Super Emotia GX.
I have a Super Emotia, so I should be fine for 240p? I just ask because you said Emotia (without super) and you said Super Emotia.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes, you're fine.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Looking for help please as a bit stumped and feeling stupid.

I have a Pioneer KURO LCD (KRL-37V) which comes with a PC connection which it describes as "Analog RGB (PC)" but the connection looks like a standard VGA connection and indeed my pc VGA cable fits in it nicely. I don't get a picture however.

I want to connect my DC to my HD TV. The manual the tv came with says the tv is not compatible with 480i signals but the DC is 480p so I assume that is not the issue. I've Googled VGA to RGB and all I see is a standard VGA conection leading to RGB cables.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
ryu

Post by ryu »

check the osd. it's possible that the input can accept both rgb and ypbr colours and that you have to switch from ypbr to rgb.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

ryu wrote:check the osd. it's possible that the input can accept both rgb and ypbr colours and that you have to switch from ypbr to rgb.
Thanks but it's not that. You can only change input settings on inputs 1-3 from Y/C, CVBS, and RGB. The PC input is Input 7 so the signal is authomatically detected.
ryu

Post by ryu »

have you tried hooking up a pc with the native resolution of the tv? i guess it's possible it only takes 800x600 and upwards
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

ryu wrote:have you tried hooking up a pc with the native resolution of the tv? i guess it's possible it only takes 800x600 and upwards
No as that would be a balls aching job. However the manual clearly states that the TV does accept a 640x480 resolution. It also states that at that resolution it accepts a horizontal frequency of 31.5 kHz and a vertical frequency of 60Hz. It further states that any variations from the VESA 60Hz standard will result in picture distortions. However I can't even get a picture!
ryu

Post by ryu »

Tigershark wrote:
ryu wrote:have you tried hooking up a pc with the native resolution of the tv? i guess it's possible it only takes 800x600 and upwards
No as that would be a balls aching job. However the manual clearly states that the TV does accept a 640x480 resolution. It also states that at that resolution it accepts a horizontal frequency of 31.5 kHz and a vertical frequency of 60Hz. It further states that any variations from the VESA 60Hz standard will result in picture distortions. However I can't even get a picture!
and the dreamcast works on other monitors? the vga box is not busted? you didn't hit the tv switch on it?
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

No tv switch. Jsut tested again on my PC Monitor. Works like a charm. Oh well.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Two possibilities, either your TV can't sync to the signal, because it's a 720x480p signal and not a 640x480 one, or it's due to the insanely voltage levels the DC VGA boxes do outputs compared to standard VGA levels. If you like to invest some money to get this working, confirm with a PC or notebook that 720x480 is working and get a RGB interface which resyncs the timings and outputs proper VGA levels (costs ~$30).
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Fudoh wrote:Two possibilities, either your TV can't sync to the signal, because it's a 720x480p signal and not a 640x480 one, or it's due to the insanely voltage levels the DC VGA boxes do outputs compared to standard VGA levels. If you like to invest some money to get this working, confirm with a PC or notebook that 720x480 is working and get a RGB interface which resyncs the timings and outputs proper VGA levels (costs ~$30).
Sliightly confused sorry. I had assumed that the DC outputs at 640x480. Is that not the case? My TV will not accept a 720x480 input resolution.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I had assumed that the DC outputs at 640x480.
it's not, it's a 720x480 signal with an active area of 640x480 during MOST (but not all) games.
Is that not the case? My TV will not accept a 720x480 input resolution.
don't go by the compatibility listings in the manual. Many TVs do accept 720x480 through VGA, they just drop a few columns during the A/D conversion.
panzeroceania

Post by panzeroceania »

Fudoh wrote:and get a RGB interface which resyncs the timings and outputs proper VGA levels (costs ~$30).
which devices would you want to look for to do this?