Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lander

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Lander »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:31 am Night and day, but you must not think about this in computing terms.

To be honest, I was afraid of not being understood by everybody, so likely it's my fault there as what I'm saying goes against any modern (and not so modern) mindset, and I knew it. When you digitally scale x2 a picture even without any resampling process you're indeed making a change in detail - you're using the computer to fill in the gaps between pixels with clones of them, so you're preventing you mind of picturing (imagining) properly any given detail a group of pixels are representing. In other words, the gaps were part of the detail itself (even if you usually don't perceive them as gaps, or actually, because of that) and filling them with /whatever/ is adulterating the intended picture.

Doubling or multiplying pixels is in actuality an artifact like any other - it's just the easiest one a computer can do. Of course, it's also a necessary thing as we're on a digital medium and well, it just seems to be the less arbitrary. It's still arbitrary, nonetheless. Leaving the gaps empty would be a more natural thing to do when upscaling digitally, but then again it wouldn't work in non-granular processes and it'd de-naturalize other aspects, so few people paid any attention to it. Until shaders, I want to believe. With all the issues they're still facing I'm hoping they become common use for your everyday digital upscaling when our screens get better, and not just for videogames.
I'm viewing it through the lens of computation, though not necessarily in machine terms; from the perspective of memory and instructions, there's certainly a clear difference between M*N and 2M*2N arrays regardless of what they contain, since you can't plug one into a function designed to address the other and receive the same (or indeed, sane) output.
If we define detail as being equivalent to memory layout, i.e. how many pixels total can fit in an image, then it's correct to say that any change to that structure or the data within - even if trivial - is quantifiably different, and can be proven so by running a byte-for-byte equality check.

However, quantitative equality isn't sufficient to cover the complexity of computer vision - looking back, I probably should have said "qualifiably different" re. equivalence of multiply-scaled images, since the quantities are the RGB values within the raster array, but I'm getting at a more abstract notion.
For a worked example, consider the relatively common quadtree optimization that comes up in compression and rendering. Assuming a square image for simplicity:

1. Overlay a 1x1 grid cell on top of the image
2. If all pixels within the cell are the same color, set that as the cell's color and return.
3. If they're not all the same color, sudivide the cell into a 2x2 sub-grid, and start over from step #2 in each cell.

Since - worst-case - a repeatedly-subdivided cell will eventually become as small as one image pixel, this terminates with an adaptive-resolution grid that combines identically-colored square regions.
Something like this:
And while it is most definitely not comparable like-for-like - given that the quantities representing it in memory would be structured differently to the source image - it is qualitatively equal, in that the key properties of the original image have been preserved such that it can be reconstructed 1:1 it with a fairly trivial block-fill routine; it can be taken as an abstract kind of equality, still mathematically founded, but logically rather than numerically.
And if you were to apply it to the case of 2x (3x, 4x .. Nx) scaling, this routine would end up encoding the same set of pixels as the original 1x raster. Thus on some level, the act of whole-factor scaling must be an identity operation - a notion supported by the reversible / inverse property inherited from multiplication and division.

(You could also take the idea further, and merge identically-colored adjacent cells into 1xN / Nx1 regions to get an even sparser encoding than the original source image!)

Those qualitative properties are how I define detail for images, since - as shown - they can be encoded in different ways and still mean the same thing. If we divorce the issue from displays entirely and look at a more physical analogy - say, implementing the rasterization or block-fill routines manually IRL by laying out a mosaic of appropriately-dimensioned tiles - it becomes apparent that the raster approach creates more seams, and thus more structural artifacting; a direct analogy to the mentioned physical pixel separation.

Edge-cases like the 3DS' large low-res panel obviate the issue, but standardized devices and viewing conditions (i.e. TVs, monitors) are generally designed to make the difference imperceptible. In that case, the brain can reify the various representations into equivalence while also dealing with rotation, perspective, stabilizing micromovements, and so on. It evidently operates on a still-more-abstract system that subsumes all of the above, so I posit that a higher-order notion of equality is needed to reason about the problem once the data leaves the memory / screen domain and makes transit to it by way of the physical.
Bassa-Bassa wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:36 pm Not really. It would have "got bigger" if you enlarge the picture analogically. Like when you use the monitor's control panel on a VGA PC CRT to enlarge (or reduce) the picture size. What you're doing is digital upscaling, which implies adding information, even if it's repeated information. Therefore, any detail is getting denatured, as it was defined by a determined number of pixels and their related positions.
In the strictest sense, I'd argue analog rendering is denatured by default, since it's mapping a fixed raster onto a physical medium whose structure may not align precisely with that of the source image.
It just happens to exploit some nice properties as an image medium, masks fine-grained enough to not destructively alias, content that's specifically authored to look good when processed as such, and lots of tweakable knobs, to create an end effect that - while 'fuzzy' by virtue of being analog - is a lot more pleasing at baseline than the digital equivalent.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

And yet, I find that integrally-upscaled-to-640x480 Raiden 2 snapshot I posted equally ugly on my Compaq P1220 VGA monitor, whereas the 1:1 version -though so tiny it has no actual use- looks fantastic on my 10-years-old run-of-the-mill LCD. I really mean it.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

What are some other decently big STG releases to be looking forward to now that Devil Blade is out?
I can't think of any beside Fire Lancer, Earthion, and Danmaku Unlimited Wyver.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Cotton Rock'n Roll 2?
Cotton Reboot! High Tension?
Aleste Branch?
Compile Heart's not-yet-named game made by M2?
Nose Laughin

Post by Nose Laughin »

Incredibly specific question that I doubt'll be answered, but does anyone have a high-quality image of the following Ketsui image, with the lengths of the ships and bosses and such legible?

https://promo.cave.co.jp/event/matsuri2 ... tem_36.png
(img code isn't working so here's the link)

The one in the back is a version of it. This was sold at Cave Matsuri 2018 as an arcade stick cover.

Another picture, don't know where this one is from. Would ask the uploader but I don't speak their language (French).

This is my own personal quest (don't ask why), and by god it's a hard one. Hoping someone might know.
qmish

Post by qmish »

I've now played Devil Blade Reboot for the first time, and I was amazed by sense of speed and dynamics of the game.

What other games you might recommend for such impression?
I started thinking about Eschatos/Judgement Silversword, Space Invaders Infinity Gene or maybe even certain PCE-era caravan stg. But not sure...
Looking forward your suggestions, thanks.
Steven

Post by Steven »

This is probably better located in the development section, but I think it's about time I start working on making a game. I can't program and while I know that learning to program is the best option, for now I am considering using a tool to get started. There are two requirements that must be met.

First, I want something that can do refresh rates higher than 60 FPS, preferably supporting at least 240 FPS, as I'd like to reduce lag as much as possible and also future-proof it. This means no STG Builder, as it is limited to 60.

Second, I need to be able to set extends to first extend at (value) and then (value) every. SHMUP Creator isn't capable of doing this as far as I have seen, so it too gets disqualified unless I am wrong.

Any ideas other than "learn to program"? I already know that's the best option, so I should probably just do that instead.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

So when is a Mecha Ritz clear worth celebrating?
Version 1.53 specifically.
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:29 pm This is likely to be because you haven't enabled it in the test menu. For whatever reason, the first 4 or 5 games CAVE made have C button autofire options but they're off by default for some reason (unlike Rayforce which has it on by default but allows you to disable it for who knows why). If you're using MAME, hold F2 for about 8 seconds to enter the test menu, and from there C button enable is easy enough to find.
...Oh, wow, that did it. Thanks! That's good to know for Daioujou as well-- I was also considering switching to that, maybe alternating between them to get a feel for which I'd like to focus on first.

In any case, I guess I can understand defaulting it off as a design decision. This was from around when autofire hadn't yet been fully codified in the genre, right?
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

As a separate post I'm not sure where else to put...I found out about this funny fellow today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Bat
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... /GoldenBat

Surely the Garegga plane is named after him, right? It seems like a no-brainer.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Technicolor wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:49 pmIn any case, I guess I can understand defaulting it off as a design decision. This was from around when autofire hadn't yet been fully codified in the genre, right?
That's the impression I had as well. Nowadays arcades in Japan with shoot em ups will commonly add autofire circuits for older button mashy games without then such as Gradius or R-Type (seen them at both A-Cho in Kyoto, HEY in Tokyo, as well as an arcade in Nara).
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

How can i use the PC screen as the main screen for the PS Mini Classic (for recording?) :?:
1.9.0 | Retroboot 1.2.1
or record directly from the Mini Playstation (i don't know if it can be done, i didn't make these changes...they made them for me)
samspot

Post by samspot »

Steven wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:41 am This is probably better located in the development section, but I think it's about time I start working on making a game. I can't program and while I know that learning to program is the best option, for now I am considering using a tool to get started. There are two requirements that must be met.

First, I want something that can do refresh rates higher than 60 FPS, preferably supporting at least 240 FPS, as I'd like to reduce lag as much as possible and also future-proof it. This means no STG Builder, as it is limited to 60.

Second, I need to be able to set extends to first extend at (value) and then (value) every. SHMUP Creator isn't capable of doing this as far as I have seen, so it too gets disqualified unless I am wrong.

Any ideas other than "learn to program"? I already know that's the best option, so I should probably just do that instead.
I have made 4 small games and I code for the day job. The first I did in javascript and web tech, bit the other three I did in Gamemaker. I would highly recommend it for starting out and prototyping. If you make something cool there you can always start a new project for the real game. This is exactly what Derek Yu did for the first Spelunky.

I’m not sure if you can do those high framerates, but the extend part is totally doable.

Focusing on finishing a small project is something I would highly recommend. Two of my games were for weeklong game jams on itch.io. If you do this you’ll learn how to finish projects and pick up some general coding skills. From that you can branch off to “real” projects and build your masterpiece.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I completely forgot Game Maker exists somehow, which is particularly odd because I have used it, even if it was 20 years ago. I'll definitely check that out if I manage to get some time.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Are NEO XYX and Super XYX two different games? Is Super a sequel? or is it some kind of re-edit? :?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Lemnear wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:29 pm Are NEO XYX and Super XYX two different games? Is Super a sequel? or is it some kind of re-edit? :?

Neo XYX was released on the Neo-Geo MVS & AES gaming platforms whereas with Super XYX, it's a spiritual reboot of Neo XYX (that runs on PC/Steam). What's cool about Neo XYX is, you can play in either tate or yoko -- how cool is that?

What's remarkable about Neo XYX is, it was the first homebrew MVS arcade stg title ever, to have tate capability from the get-go.

With Super XYX, you can play it in tate or yoko as well. Neo XYX was also released as a Dreamcast GD-Rom disc so if you don't have the proper means with access to an MVS or AES setup, a handy and more accessible DC gaming console will suffice just fine.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Lemnear wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:29 pm Are NEO XYX and Super XYX two different games? Is Super a sequel? or is it some kind of re-edit? :?
All I have to add is that they were made by different developers. I've never played Neo XYX, but I have played Last Hope for Dreamcast by the same dev, so I'm fairly confident saying that you aren't missing anything by sticking to Super XYX. Last Hope was pretty trash.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Are there any known female shmup developers?
Kino

Post by Kino »

Starfighter wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:32 pm Are there any known female shmup developers?
Off the top of my head

Yuko Tataka (Toaplan/Gazelle, worked on Truxton, Hellfire, Dogyuun, & Batsugun as a graphic designer)
Kaneyo Ohira (Toaplan/Gazelle, worked on Dogyuun & Air Gallet as a graphic designer)
Shinobu Ito (Success, worked on the earlier Cotton games as a graphic designer)
Yasumi Tozono (Irem/SNK, worked on Armed Police Unit Gallop as a planner, then on Last Resort as a producer)
Misako (Irem, worked on R-Type as a programmer)
Most of the staff of Irem's Mystic Riders was female, according to an ex-employee
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Kino wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:19 pmOff the top of my head

Yuko Tataka (Toaplan/Gazelle, worked on Truxton, Hellfire, Dogyuun, & Batsugun as a graphic designer)
Kaneyo Ohira (Toaplan/Gazelle, worked on Dogyuun & Air Gallet as a graphic designer)
Shinobu Ito (Success, worked on the earlier Cotton games as a graphic designer)
Yasumi Tozono (Irem/SNK, worked on Armed Police Unit Gallop as a planner, then on Last Resort as a producer)
Misako (Irem, worked on R-Type as a programmer)
Most of the staff of Irem's Mystic Riders was female, according to an ex-employee
Thank you!
Air Master Burst

Starfighter wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:32 pm Are there any known female shmup developers?
Kotori Yoshimura created the original Thunder Force.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Carol Shaw, River Raid. Never played it, always sounded pretty legit though. Especially hearing she's a Scramble appreciator, and added a Starting Loop select for later ports!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

BIL wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:13 pm
Carol Shaw, River Raid. Never played it, always sounded pretty legit though. Especially hearing she's a Scramble appreciator, and added a Starting Loop select for later ports!
BIL,

You owe to yourself to play the classic Atari VCS/2600 River Raid -- there's also River Raid II to try out as well on the 2600 console.

The Atari employee, Donna Bailey, was the one whom created the classic Atari arcade game of Centipede released to arcades back in 1980.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Air Master Burst

BIL wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:13 pm
Holy shit, I haven't even thought about River Raid in 20 years, but it fucking rules! My first shmup experiences were River Raid and the TomyTronic Scramble at my grandparents' farmhouse the summer I was 3 or 4.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always gets good buzz from those in the know. :mrgreen: Ta buds. Image
Steven

Post by Steven »

From Toaplan, there is also
Shimizu Yumiko (artist on Kyuukyoku Tiger, Tatsujin, Wardner, Horror Story)
Nito Sanae (artist on Zero Wing)
Hiratsuka Saori (artist on Dogyuun!!)
Hayashi Miho (artist on Zero Wing, Out Zone, lead artist on Dogyuun!!)

Of course, Hayashi-san's most famous creation is this guy

but she made about half of the art in Out Zone, including the title screen, player sprites, and the instruction cards, Dogyuun!! was mostly just her by herself, and she also did the Zero Wing stage 7 boss, which is named Miporin after her. She did more stuff on Zero Wing, but I don't know the specifics.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always thought Out Zone's title art was one of the genre's most badass player images. Radiates stoic cool. Now that you mention it, there is a definite CATS flamboyance and largesse to its vision of Killing Technology. The archetypal one-man army popping his collar. A cyborg soldier and his shadowing bro baring their mighty fusion reactor hearts to the crowd, ready to dispassionately award a generous present of bullets. :cool:
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Play Out Zone
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:29 am Play Out Zone
ikr (`w´メ)

Sanguis

Post by Sanguis »

It seems like there was a TV show (in Japan) focused on STG performance. It was on "Mondo 21" apparently. I assume it has been terminated.

I've found several episodes (JP, untranslated) like this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btW2MOxvWUM
If you want to see more, just check the same yt channel.

I'm not sure about the time span of the broadcast, neither about the years (somewhere inside the 2010-2015 interval probably).

I don't understand japanese. If anyone is interested in translating the shows, feel free :D

Thanks to that show, I've learned about the existence of a superplayer I didn't know : SGP-SV-TNK.
It seems like SGP is the name of the team. The specific player I was just referring to is quite peculiar. He presents himself as the front of the team, and as a poet (or a stage performer to sum it up). He holds the WR for Star Force (17 hr play, no bathroom break), a FC game I'm not familiar with.

Do not hesitate to correct my statements. Does anybody know more about all this ?