FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
wgogh

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by wgogh »

Mischief Maker wrote:If it's of any interest to anyone, my review of Oath in Felghana was just published on Caltrops:

http://www.caltrops.com/2017/09/08/ys-t ... lghana-pc/
I'll read! Oath is my next Ys on the list, I could make use of a good review
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

soprano1 wrote:
CIT wrote:the Mega Drive version has the tightest controls while also sounding quite good (very similar to the PC88 original).
Best western cover art, too:
Spoiler
Even Falcom liked it, and made it a joke in Falcom Gakuen:
Spoiler
I don't suppose you could translate the joke for an Ugly American like me?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

From the fansub:
Spoiler
Bunch of Adols showed up in this episode.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

There are now some high-res texture mods for Ys Seven already. XSEED touched up the enemy characters but not the environments.
One is the Chinese Environment Texture Pack which ports over the map textures from the Joyoland version. Modder Drogean (also known as just Dro) is working on his own original texture set as well. The Steam Ys Seven forum has a topic on this.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

gameoverDude wrote:There are now some high-res texture mods for Ys Seven already. XSEED touched up the enemy characters but not the environments.
One is the Chinese Environment Texture Pack which ports over the map textures from the Joyoland version. Modder Drogean (also known as just Dro) is working on his own original texture set as well. The Steam Ys Seven forum has a topic on this.
Cool news.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Agggh why didn't anyone tell me about this before it sold out :(

https://store.nisaeurope.com/products/y ... dition-ps4
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

http://www.dualshockers.com/ys-viii-ps-delay/
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA PC Release Delayed Indefinitely to “Improve Gameplay Quality”

NIS America revealed that the PC release of the Falcom developed RPG Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA will be delayed from it’s previous release date of September 12 to an unannounced date.

The PC version of the game was scheduled to release in tandem with the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita version of the game, but has encountered some setbacks. The team at NISA has delayed the PC version of the game to continue efforts “improve gameplay quality”.

Furthermore, the team posted this to the game’s Steam page:
We regret to inform everyone that the release date for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA on PC has been pushed back due to continued efforts in improving gameplay quality.

We sincerely apologize to our fans who have been looking forward to this release. Ultimately, our goal is for fans to enjoy a high-quality game. We are providing the extra care in the PC development of the game by taking time to enhance the overall quality of gameplay.

If you have made a pre-purchase on Steam and would like to get a refund, please use the link provided below for instructions on requesting a refund.

For any purchases or pre-orders made outside of the Steam channel, please contact the corresponding refund support for that channel.

A new release date will be announced as soon as it is available.

Thank you for your time, support, and patience with this matter.
The game features fast RPG action where players must explore out in the world and take on huge monsters and bosses. Additionally, a character’s skill are important in battle because switching the character to reveal an enemy’s weakness is crucial to winning.

If you’d like to know more about Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA, DualShockers reviewed the PS4 version.

Also, In case you missed it, NISA released a character trailer for Dana, along with with details. Also, Adol’s legendary Silver Armor will be available for free for those who pre-order the game. Also, DualShockers had the opportunity to speak with Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo about the Ys series and how Falcom approaches development on the titles.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

God fucking damnit NISA.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I'm getting No Man's Sky flashbacks here.

Is there something about the PS4 that makes for lousy PC ports?

drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Mischief Maker wrote:I'm getting No Man's Sky flashbacks here.

Is there something about the PS4 that makes for lousy PC ports?
Plenty of other devs have done it without an issue so I dunno wtf is going on here

I got my PS4 Limited Edition myself today, was actually playing on double dipping with the PC version but nope, not now. Might pick it up later on sale or something just to complete my Ys PC set but otherwise I'm good on PS4 for now on this
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

How unfortunate. :cry:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Why do you want to play it on PC anyway?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:Why do you want to play it on PC anyway?
Speaking for myself, i don't own a PS4 or Vita, nor do i wish to have neither right now.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

soprano1 wrote:
Speaking for myself, i don't own a PS4 or Vita, nor do i wish to have neither right now.
Ditto.

gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I went ahead and bought the PS4 version by digital code from Amazon, but my PC preorder still stands. I'm mildly bummed but not gonna cancel it. PC probably has higher resolutions (1440p and up) assuming there's no 1080p cap.

I'm playing on hard mode. It's good. Seeing jumping and the down-attack restored (along with midair strikes) is a great thing. The dodge can be done from midair also.

NISA's translation turned out fine despite my initial qualms. And the framerate holds up well at 60.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sooo, not only does the daisy dukes gal remind me of the one from Wild Arms 5, she's a tsundere and is introduced via a "eek, you walked in on me while I was bathing!" cutscene...there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth throughout the land. :lol:

Otherwise, the first hour or two of the PS4 edition (I'll have to postpone the rest until I finish Yakuza Kiwami) seem pretty promising; visuals are, as usual, nothing too special on the technical front, but keep a nice steady 60 FPS, at least in the early going. English voice acting seems mostly solid, though Japanese is there if you'd prefer; unfortunately, unlike 7, there doesn't seem to be an option to disable Adol's voice separately, it always feels weird to me when he isn't silent. Combat-wise, I find the Bayonetta dodge significantly more intuitive than the parry, guess I just need to practice..."regular" enemies aren't a huge threat, but on "normal" difficulty (was tempted to try Hard, but when I saw the phrase "thrill of grinding" in the description that urge quickly faded :P) the second boss was hardy enough to take a character out with three or four hits tops, so mindless slashing ain't gonna cut it. More to come...eventually.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Mischief Maker wrote:
soprano1 wrote:
Ditto.
Yep. I'm fine with my PC for playing new releases. Now all I have to do is wait until the game hits 50% next year some time. About $30 is as high as I go unless it's an "OMG GOTTA HAV NOU!!!!!shift+1" title. And as much as I've enjoyed the Ys series up to this point, it's not pulling $60 out of my pocket.

That said, the delay sucks. I was looking forward to seeing some reviews of the PC version, but I suppose that's going to have to wait awhile.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

At least K&M and display resolution issues have been taken care of.

Random crashes, frame rate, and language-related issues are the current focus. NISA estimates that the random crashes & frame rate issues should take about 2 weeks to resolve, then they will tackle the language-related issues.

Godspeed, NISA.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

All I wanna know is, did they make the fishing FAST?

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

All fishing minigames in any game forward should just copy BOTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5KWJAYeOE
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:All fishing minigames in any game forward should just copy BOTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5KWJAYeOE
Fishing 60's Batman movie style!
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

and the soundtrack is outstanding! I don't think the SNES version suffers at all in that aspect anyway.
OMG... your kidding? It sounds HORRIBLE on the SNES, down right laughable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_X7i8z ... P8PJxhvvxC
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

No
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Wait...

So C4's music to you is bad on the SNES... but Ys 3's music on the SNES is good to you?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

So is there anyone here that has played (or attempted to play) the original versions of Eiyuu Densetsu III-V in DOSBox? I keep hearing about how terrible the PSP localizations are. It looks like there was a PS1 release as well.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://pixeltunesradio.com/2017/09/20/ ... -volume-i/
This podcast usually has nice music and very decent comment.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I believe the PS4 version of Ys VIII now has a free PSN download available which enables Japanese voices, though I haven't tried it myself.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

It has Japanese voice options out of the box, no DLC needed for that.