Post your flavor of the month VG music

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Tregard

Re: Post your flavor of the month VG music

Post by Tregard »

I've been playing a ton of Tetris Attack on the SNES with my wife. What an absolutely fantastic game, but the soundtrack really took me by surprise by being brilliant. Every track is full of beautiful, hummable melodies, and those basslines! There's some seriously tight snappy slap-bass funk-outs going on here. I mean really, how good is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okg8QQ4mNqo

BUBBA-DA! BUBBDA! BOM BOM-DI!

Man, there were some incredible composers writing back in the SNES and Megadrive days. Some of those melodies were just inspired. You don't hear the like these days.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

is the Tetris Attack ost the same as the Panel de Pon ost? If so I really like that one too. And I play it with my partner, too. :D

I've been loving the Rockman and Forte OST (sfc version). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOkrVz-ULFY
Kind of a mystery to me why most reviews I have read criticize this. The introduction stage, King Stage, and Pirate Man stage are favorites.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Tetris Attack's OST is pretty similar to PdP, but there are a few tracks that don't exist (TA removes 2? stages from PdP) in TA, and there's the new title screen song for TA.

But yeah, that's one of my top SFC soundtracks, the basslines get me goin' :lol:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Not quite sure why, but recently I've been revisiting the soundtrack to Kirby's Epic Yarn, and although I seem to recall the game itself being a "Play it once and call it good" type affair, I'm reminded just how amazing and varied the soundtrack is. You've got tracks using everything from a single piano to a full orchestra.

A few samples

Deep-dive Deep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy81iCwYDJA
Cool Cave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX71FSuWFOo
Splash Beach (Day): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KedH_uJ1BVI
Splash Beah (Night): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRCGTPAmFpA
Tube Town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksQdgmQ-Ps4
Bubbly Clouds (a classic Kirby song): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zyUkAVFqw4

Playlist with all of the music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... D6BAD7BD7F
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
BIL

Post by BIL »

THUNDER ZONE is perhaps the zenith of DECO's MANLY 80S ACTION GAME MUSIC.
drauch

Post by drauch »

By Crom! Can't believe I haven't played this still! Everything about this is what I love! And goddamn, that music and poster! WOOOO BOY. 8)
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sadly the best version of the game (Japan) still isn't currently emulated, at least I don't think. The overseas ones are kinda unbalanced. And stage 2's arctic zone becomes a desert because gulf war mania, ouuu.

Still a riot though, especially with company. :mrgreen: My favourite bit is the stage 2 boss battleship, who emerges from a ravine, then proceeds to drill into the walls and drag it shut so its guns are in your face. Totally nuts.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I'm again listening to the Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold rendition of Cammy's Theme - one of the first video game related tracks I remember downloading. :) While I love my solemn, epic and/or action-packed tunes I also adore cheerful, unconcerned tracks like these.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I've always been aware of the SoR II soundtrack being good, but recently I relistened to Dreamer, and I'm really liking it. Might not be my favorite FM track, but it's up there somewhere.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
BIL

Post by BIL »

Guilty Gear XX OST "Existence" (Assassins theme)

Have always found the bulk of this song a hard trudge, though not without purpose or reward. The delayed release of that dual lead refrain is cathartic. Very similar effect in G-Darius: Miraikanryou's first track G Zero 2.

And then, for a real lesson in contrast I had to look up DJI's old G-Darius boss rush superplaymix. I still can't see Eclipse Eye without thinking of the best possible accompaniment to a laser duel with a giant stogie-chomping robot gibberfish amidst purple haze.

Also something from Chibi-Robo that blew my socks off. :o Had barely even heard of the game, but wow. Such moving sound stands on its own. Giving me Silent Hill 2 OST melancholic synth vibez. Even the title recalls SH2, haha.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

BIL

Post by BIL »

BASTARD!! SFC Title BGM

Metal

as

fuck

Hellishly dirty guitar+bass tone and machinegunning granite slab powerchords. LAWD this takes me back. Game fuckin blows, IIRC from my early ZSNESin' days, but the bgm owns.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ever read the manga? There's also a short little OVA that never got finished that's pretty good. But yeah, very inspired by metal, with tons of references. King Diamond even makes an appearance under a slightly different moniker!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Haven't listened to it just yet and probably won't even play the game, but its Chipzel so it's probably awesome.

https://soundcloud.com/chipzel/interste ... st-preview
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

drauch wrote:Ever read the manga? There's also a short little OVA that never got finished that's pretty good. But yeah, very inspired by metal, with tons of references. King Diamond even makes an appearance under a slightly different moniker!
Read a few volumes on and off, ages ago - definitely remember the King Diamond cosplayer, and also an ABIGEIRU. :mrgreen:

(speaking of... I wonder if Final Fight's Abigail was some sorta KD reference too? edit: well fuck me, FF's whole enemy roster is full of rock/metal references isn't it? somehow never noticed. :oops: kinda like I never twigged Double Dragon's characters having mostly Bruce Lee-related names until like last year! FML)

edit2: just noticed your current sig :lol:
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

A friend linked me to Yuzo Koshior's Eye of The Beholder Soundtrack for Sega CD today. Have to say, one of the most pleasent techno surprises I've had since reading BIL's recommendation of the Ghost In The Shell PS1 OST.

I believe he found it while plumbing the dark depths of 4chan, as he frequently does. There certainly are treasures to be found in that place. Truly, the most harrowing dungeon crawl of all.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

GITS PS1 soundtrack is immense - actually I kinda associate it more with Brutal DOOM these days. :mrgreen: Remorseless techno RIDDIM to obliterate the hordes of hell to.

This caught my ear during a bit of porting archaeology - an outstanding, haunted rendition of Altered Beast/Juuouki's st2 BGM. I love that pseudo-strings effect certain games coaxed from the FC - Ninja Gaiden II's "Unlimited Moment" being my typical go-to example. The composition itself's always been a favourite of mine, some of the more filmic arcade action BGM.

The port's pretty lame overall, with the exception of its BGM which the late Kenji Eno of Warp renown worked on.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Also dayum that Neo Contra Remix. I think next time I play FC Contra I'm gonna listen to that as an alternate loop 2+ stage 1 theme, heh.
Got a bit idle and finally gave it a shot. ^__^ Some sound degradation and not actually loop 2 but eh. Wicked arrangement, gonna try to track down the author so I can credit them properly.
Lobinden

Post by Lobinden »

Gradius Gaiden's soundtrack is amazing. I got the Gradius collection on PSP a week ago and it has been my first chance to play Gradius Gaiden, and I am just blown away about how good the soundtrack is (in my opinion).
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Say what you want about the game, but the SNES theme for Battletoads & Double Dragon's final stage is simply awesome. 8)
Squire Grooktook

RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I am absolutely loving Starship Rendezvous' OST for MSX2. Another gem from Sakimoto & Iwata's seemingly inexhaustible Japanese PC catalogue. Not their most melodic work, dominated by mechanistic drumming and heavy bass drones. Crystalline hooks drift like rain over the polyrhythmic fury, until all is finally quenched in murmuring darkness. Like Iwata's later Baroque OST, it's self-contained cinema ideal for end-to-end listening, preferably while ensconced in a comfy armchair.

Apparently the game itself is a perfunctory topdown shooter in service of mild eroge. Hm.
Spoiler
More like STARFISH RENDEZVOUS MIRITE?

BUWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
Might explain the Monty Norman 007 rip early on. The PC88 soundtrack's also on YT, can't seem to find the remaining PC98 and X68000 ones there. Gonna have to give at least the first a go, too. Enjoying the gloriously coarse+crisp MSX2 textures and lean runtime way too much to stop ATM, though.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'd like to submit Kids of Karendow's soundtrack here, as I uploaded it to YouTube in full, not too long ago. It was mostly of interest for having been programmed in QBasic, and was actually one of the best Qbasic RPGs to have been made. The whole game was rife with toilet humor (think first season South Park in jRPG form) and it didn't take itself terribly seriously. It actually tried to do some interesting things to try and really stand out like a basic limit break system, changeable formations in battle, a half-dozen or so minigames throughout the game, etc. I found it amusing, but it's probably more interesting to people nowadays as a curiosity rather than a serious game.

The music, however, was unquestionably superb, made in a GDM tracker format by Groovin (Gary Ng). The secret dungeon's reward was actually unlocking sound test on the title screen. Highlights include:

My favorite overworld theme from any RPG ever. Seriously. It's so relaxing it actually feels almost out-of-character for the game.

Groovy regular battle and boss battle themes.

Theme for the forest areas you explore.

This tower's theme is awesome, but it's a shame it loops so quickly, because it's probably the longest area in the game.

Final 'dungeon' theme.

Final boss theme. Seriously fucking intense. Someone hire this guy to work on commercial games.
Squire Grooktook

That's some really nice stuff Roo, wasn't expecting it to rock so hard. Thanks for the upload.

How'd you stumble upon this game?

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I used to dabble in QBasic programming. Never was terribly good at it, but I'd found it back when I was looking at what other Qbasic games had come out. It's a shit language to program games in general in, and most games were very, very rough, but there were a few decent RPGs like Ped Xing and Mysterious Song that were made in QBasic. The site I found it on originally had games sorted by genre, and had quite a large offering (30 RPGs listed, 20 or so action, some racing, etc). Sadly it seems to be defunct, can't find it.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Was playing Virtua Racing Deluxe for the 32X.
In all the years I've played this game [very sporadically], I've never bothered to use the replay feature.

that was a mistake, this fucking song
Shit's great. Replay feature is pretty decent too [cool camera, although the overhead view will trigger the polygon limit and chunks of road/scenery will flicker], but that song man.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Rebel Galaxy's OST did it's job very well at giving that Firefly style space-wild west vibe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSkh6g5ksvc
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

drauch wrote:There's also a short little OVA that never got finished that's pretty good.
Not sure what's unfinished about it. Pretty usual fare, for its time OAV (I can't remember a single one that would reach any ultimate conclusion)... bar mayhap Key the Metal Idol (which, on the other hand, is unusual in more ways than that).
Tangentially speaking of classic heavy metal, I learned about Key the Metal Idol from this AMV (I think it holds up in the cold light A.D. 2015).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

FAT and GOOD AS FUCK cover of Final Doom: TNT's "SADISTIC" (map01 BGM).

The song always peaks in the first five seconds for me, but this cover's a lot more entertaining as a whole. Could imagine this in Shattered Soldier's OST.