Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label [Arcade/X360]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iconoclast

Re: Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou ~ Black Label

Post by iconoclast »

iconoclast - 834,153,820 - A-E - 2-5 -2703 Hit
Pic: http://i.imgur.com/IXCqt.jpg

I nearly ragequit because I dropped my chain and died twice in a row on 2-2. I'm dying for the run where I don't screw everything up. :cry:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Lawl I just played a 1,405B run where I had my first death in Stage 1-1, and broke the Stage 1-5 chain !
replay (ShmupMAME 2.2) : http://www.mediafire.com/?kkeukky6p0b983k

Dying where I died in Stage 1 doesn't affect score at all (except that you lose 50M of bonus if you 2-ALL), but it's funny how a run that you'd think isn't worth continuing can turn into something good. Actually it even offered me an opportunity to score higher because having 2 bombs on my "first" life instead of one allowed me to use 2 "consecutive" bombs to save myself while I was still holding the de-activated maximum multiplier, and I almost managed to grab 2 bombs back to re-activate the maximum bonus.

(that last sentence would be Chinese to someone alien to DDP lol)
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Cagar wrote:My current goal is to kick shit out of Erppo in every game possible, he's my rival right now. Thanks to him being a dick elsewhere. He got me really playing for score...
Mission complete. :D

You could start with God, I could use some motivation for more of that.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Small improvement :

ProMeTheus - 1,486,702,020 - A-E - 2-5 -3352 Hit

Broke some chains, cool dodging, kinda "gave up" after a mistake in 2-5 and took way too much risk, although bonus lives would have accomplished nothing score-wise at that point anyway. A cool chain of the 2nd half of 2-5 allowed me to beat my previous score in a run that I had stop believing in.

Replay : http://www.mediafire.com/?lryjw2yoo19a8yq
ShmupMAME 2.2 + playback info : http://www.mediafire.com/?5jf9mvecaln6hqp
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Nice one. :) Got a target score?
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Hey Sapz!
Not really I'm just screwing around because I almost beat my record with a stick in the last shmupmeet. Shocked that it was even possible, I thought it should be easily beatable back with a keyboard. Realistically I could score up to 1,8 or 1,9B with something like 50 attempts, but it's unlikely I'll keep trying to get that, cause I still need to learn and practice 2-4 and 2-5. But I'm getting satisfying rates of "no miss no bomb" of first loop now so it's fun enough to play a bunch of runs... with awesome ELECTRONIC MUSIC !!

This game is really growing on me by the way. I'm having so much fun with it, I can't wait to finish learning it to try my hands on the last stages. It's definitely even better than DDP. It's plain awesome. Sometimes though, I'm having a hard time thinking "ok, now let's open the video again and learn". It doesn't take that much time to learn some stuff, but it feels like work whereas practicing what I already know doesn't, it's just pure fun. Soon I'll move my ass and do it though. And then, I'll feel the full extent of the jam again. The future holds a great trial.
Follow me on Twitch??
Gus

Post by Gus »

How hard would you say a 2-ALL of this is compared to DDP?
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Gus wrote:How hard would you say a 2-ALL of this is compared to DDP?
With low rank, Hibachi is about the same difficulty as DDP or a little easier. His patterns seem a little harder but he doesn't last long. So you basically need the same amount of lives to get through it (even though you're getting no bombs). Plus, getting through the stages in 2nd loop is easier than DDP if your rank is lowered (as soon as you have lost your first life it is about the same difficulty, if you lose more it becomes easier).
With high rank, I'm not sure how it affects Hibachi's difficulty, I haven't tested that yet. The stages with high rank (no miss no bomb and lots of hypers) is much harder than DDP.

There is a degree of uncertainty about my estimation of difficulty for both low and high rank because I haven't really learned 2-4 and 2-5 yet, with a good scoring plan everything will fall into place and I'll see how hard it really is. If the game is played with a survival plan though I'm pretty sure it's much easier to 2-ALL than DDP.

I've heard about your scores in Mushi Futari BL by the way. The Ultra one seems quite outlandish to me. I am amazed that a westerner has accomplished that much. I haven't seen the videos yet (you should definitely upload them, don't have an XBOX anymore to see them), but you have my respect !
Follow me on Twitch??
Gus

Post by Gus »

You have no idea how much that means to me. Your guide was pretty much what got me into playing these games seriously. Awesome score BTW. I always love watching you destroy these games.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Gus wrote:You have no idea how much that means to me. Your guide was pretty much what got me into playing these games seriously. Awesome score BTW. I always love watching you destroy these games.
This means just as much to me. It is all I had hoped this guide would help for and more.
Follow me on Twitch??
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Played a couple of credits; still a bit rusty but I get to join the exclusive stage 2-5 club. :lol:

SPZ - 485,160,970 - A-E - 2-5 - 1503 Hit

Pretty silly run. I should be able to break 700-800m without too much difficulty once I get more consistent at the beehive part of 1-5 (dropped the chain there). Lots of really dumb deaths, but I did the 2-3 boss final attack without dying/bombing/hypering which was pretty cool. :)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Got a nice run going just now :

ProMeTheus - 1,591,143,690 - A-E - 2-5 - 3593 Hit

All went quite well until 2-3 boss, with a few chain breaks but overall very solid play. Very nice 2-4, with near full chain ! 2-5 impro survival that went ok. Lots of good dodging. Got to Hibachi with 4 lives but got hammered again lawl. Fuck him.

That was my 22nd attempt in this series :3
I'll stop playing runs now however, back into practice mode !

Replay : http://www.mediafire.com/?unwr7szj6t7rbqu
ShmupMAME 2.2 + playback info : http://www.mediafire.com/?5jf9mvecaln6hqp
Follow me on Twitch??
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Badass. Looking forward to seeing how far you can push this!
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

SAS - 385,285,650 - A-E - 2-5 - 728 Hit ( P2 )

First loop 3-miss, lost 3 hypers on boss 1-4's first pattern, missed on both 2-1 and 2-2, made it to the beehive.
But hey, slight progress! 3rd time to 2-5!
ImageImage
Nereid

Post by Nereid »

First 1-ALL.

Nereid - 136,414,760 - A-E - 2-2 - 796 Hit

360 version.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Sasupoika wrote:
SAS - 385,285,650 - A-E - 2-5 - 728 Hit ( P2 )

First loop 3-miss, lost 3 hypers on boss 1-4's first pattern, missed on both 2-1 and 2-2, made it to the beehive.
But hey, slight progress! 3rd time to 2-5!
A challenger appears....

So anyway, I began documenting my runs here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kZZQ0ZYNnc
Feel free to leave comments in the chat :wink:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Cagar wrote:So anyway, I began documenting my runs here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kZZQ0ZYNnc
Feel free to leave comments in the chat :wink:
I like what you started there it's pretty cool. More of us should do that online, I think it's educational for everyone.
Follow me on Twitch??
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Ratikal - 211,024,140 - A-E - 2-1 - 1436

First time looping. May upload this run cause it's filled with lucky dodges and me stammering like an idiot (livestreamed). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGwh4eR2Gjo (sorry for the gum chewing).
man9child

Post by man9child »

Nice run ratikal, very cool.
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

spineshark - 169,545,080 - A-E - 1-5 - 1457

Bombs? What are those?

Decided to improve some after the discussion in the SDOJ thread recently. Decent 1-1 and 1-2 chains, don't know how to catch all the bees while doing it though. (I like how the last one on each stage is in some spot that's especially hard to reach while also cleaning up the last few enemies.) 1-3 was great even though the last spot I can chain in this game is from the start to the second rotating tower. In fact things only started to really fall apart on the 1-4 boss but I wasn't too excited about the rest of this run anyway since I haven't practiced stage 5 even for survival and I didn't have a hyper to use on the stage 4 boss.

And hypering bosses is my favorite thing about this game, by a lot. I really respect and admire the game and the people who've gotten really good at it, but I don't think I'll ever find the time to really learn it. Too much other stuff I just like more.
Insidiae

Post by Insidiae »

Insidiae - 151,470,580 - A-E - 1-5 - 1419 Hit - Image
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Cagar - 474,229,500 - A-E - 2-5 - 1452 Hit
Deca

Post by Deca »

deca - 145,048,390 - A-E - 1-5 - 1502 Hit

Fucking irate right now. This was shaping up to be my first time clearing the first loop as well as a significantly higher score, but MAME decided to bring up the browser window and jump me into it right after the DDP st3 boss went down in 1-5. Lost a life holding a hyper and 2 bombs before I got the window selected again, no way for me to recover.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
Sanasanasan

Post by Sanasanasan »

Pic

Sanasanasan - 187,797,320 - A-E - 1-5 - 1522 Hits
360 version

1-5 is hard :<
Insidiae

Post by Insidiae »

Insidiae - 160,729,230 - A-E - 1-5 - 1300 Hit - Image

> Savestate practicing
> Chain 1-5 up to midboss 3

> Full run
> Fail 1-5 miserably

I just don't get it. This score doesn't move me up a place, but whatever; someday I will full chain 1-5 on a full run and it's going to be so glorious <3
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I have practiced some more these past weeks, learned 2-4 and 2-5 and practiced Hibachi a bit. I know the full game now and my consistency is ok. 2-ALL is now a possibility when I start playing full runs again !

I find full rank 2-4 to be rather straightforward until the random horizontal moving turrets. That part is very fast and can catch you off guard very easily but I really like how you have to react to the turrets' random placement differently each time. It's different from everything else. The boss has a few tough points.

At full rank, 2-5 is awesome. It's just so fast and epic. You don't change the way you play it very very much compared to first loop, but the bullets get really fast coupled with serious density so you have to be always ready to react very fast to something coming at an unexpected angle, while still having to be very accurate.

My thoughts on the difficulty of the game hasn't changed from after learning 2-4 and 2-5, it is indeed harder than DDP with full rank, and I would say maybe a little easier after 1 life lost. There is a big difference between what the game throws at you in terms of speed between full rank and after first miss, then the difference in rank for more deaths/bombs diminishes.

Same goes for Hibachi. Hibachi is set-up in such a way that it doesn't make a big difference for me whether I come to him with 6, 5 or 4 lives, because of rank. Patterns' speed vary differently depending on rank than stages do. There is a little less difference between full rank and other ranks, some patterns seem much less affected than others too, or speed doesn't make them harder as much.

The last pattern is the real huge danger, it's insane and if I don't get hypers/lives in order to damage him while being invincible, things get super random for me so far, it's really very very hard to dodge at all. But it is interesting because the way I see it, it's a pattern you have to dodge with rythm rather than by anticipating each bullet's movements accurately. Sometimes if you flow well with it you'll go through for quite a bit of time even though you're never sure you're not getting hit in the next second.
Insidiae wrote:I just don't get it. This score doesn't move me up a place, but whatever; someday I will full chain 1-5 on a full run and it's going to be so glorious <3
Stage 1-5 feels really great once you can finally do it :) It's a really cool stage I think.
Follow me on Twitch??
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

iconoclast - 1,041,518,160 - A-E - 2-5 - 2642 Hits
Pic: http://i.imgur.com/dEEy4.png

This run was absolutely horrible, but at least I finally got ten digits. :|
Gus

Post by Gus »

>1,041,518,160
>absolutely horrible