Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lemnear

Re: Killer App SHMUPS?

Post by Lemnear »

The_Fix wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:04 pm
Lemnear wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:58 am So i reformulate my question, which were "Killer App" for their systems? :o
Are these?
PlayStation 1 - G. Darius? - I know very little about the history of 3D Shumps. :oops:
Oh also R-Type Delta!
I don't know if RayStorm and RayCrisis where enough famous, or selling well.
The_Fix wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:04 pm Dreamcast - Ikaruga - It has to be right? It's on so many "best shump ever" lists it's a meme now.
I was sure, if i remember well, that Ikaruga and Under Defeat where short printed, something around 100.000 copies. So they weren't "Killer App" (or are 100k a killer app status for a SHMUPS in that era?) :lol:
Lander

1000x MAX!

Post by Lander »

The_Fix wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:46 pm
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:30 pm Bangai-O has had several sequels
Really? Please tell, I must play these.
Both Bangai-O sequels are good, though they go off in their own direction relative to the original.

Bangai-O: Spirits added a bunch of new shot types alongside a domino-effect shoulder ram, and went back to the charge counter mechanic from 64. It has a truly massive selection of stages, though is comparatively light on the wacky off-the-wall antics of original. There's a sandboxy Bangai-O Maker vibe to it, with a big toolbox of custom level parts to stick together. Unfortunately not every stage is a winner, many of them being puzzle-y affairs where you solve a logic problem with missiles, but there's plenty of good stuff nonetheless.

Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury builds on Spirits, but tones down the sandbox factor, with a campaign that cuts a solid balance with the OG structure. The charge counter has been extended so you can pump multiple bars into it for a projectile + score multiplier, and being in HD means the game can zoom in and out for effect, which opens up some truly insane encounters.

The XBLA demo does a good job of showing this off - starts with a couple of simple puzzle / assault stages to ease you in, then ends by dropping you into a surprise endgame Massive Spacefleet battle:
EVERY STAR IN THE SKY IS OUR ENEMY :shock:
Feels a bit like Ichiro Itano's Katamari at times - roll your exploding looney tunes brawlball around crushing swaths of baddies, and hope you can keep the meter running with risky plays long enough to kill everything.

Overall I think Bangai-O on Dreamcast is still the best by virtue of being the most focused and refined of the series, followed by HD, then 64, then Spirits, but they're all worth playing.
wiNteR

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by wiNteR »

Nahar wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:41 pm Hi. I'm watching a friend play dodonpachi (he's just learning, not a pro player yet), and we were talking about no bomb clears. Are there any 2loop no bomb clears of this game? We don't think there is any, but we're really curious.
Of course you can easily find a good number of videos showing a no bomb run going till 2-6 boss. However, I am assuming you mean clear of the whole game with no bomb? It certainly is quite feasible in principle [even if harder than just a no bomb run till 2-6 boss by an order of magnitude (if not more) I think]. My guess is that, on the very least, there would be at least a few no bomb clears of the game. Though I should qualify that this is still a guess on my part.

But I haven't ever seen a video of it though. If you do find such a video do post it here or in the STG videos thread.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Lemnear wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:33 pm I was sure, if i remember well, that Ikaruga and Under Defeat where short printed, something around 100.000 copies. So they weren't "Killer App" (or are 100k a killer app status for a SHMUPS in that era?) :lol:
100K? Ikaruga most likely didn't have a print run of even 10K.

I doubt any shooter sold 100K in Japan; I think you're vastly overestimating the popularity of the genre at any time.

I used to have Famitsu and various other magazines back at that time and first week sales for most games were in the few thousands if even that. I don't still have the magazines for reference anymore though.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

cfx wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:04 pm
Lemnear wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:33 pm I was sure, if i remember well, that Ikaruga and Under Defeat where short printed, something around 100.000 copies. So they weren't "Killer App" (or are 100k a killer app status for a SHMUPS in that era?) :lol:
100K? Ikaruga most likely didn't have a print run of even 10K.

I doubt any shooter sold 100K in Japan; I think you're vastly overestimating the popularity of the genre at any time.

I used to have Famitsu and various other magazines back at that time and first week sales for most games were in the few thousands if even that. I don't still have the magazines for reference anymore though.
Oh, thx, i remember a number with 1XXXX?-like.
No no overestimating, but 10k Is the highest Number of copies for a SHMUP for Dreamcast?

This Is only to know if in the SHMUPS genre there's a direct correlation between "What Is Succesful" and "What is Good".
Nowaday, what sells well rarely is a good rappresentation of what is the best of a "X" genre.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

wiNteR wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:13 pm
Nahar wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:41 pm Hi. I'm watching a friend play dodonpachi (he's just learning, not a pro player yet), and we were talking about no bomb clears. Are there any 2loop no bomb clears of this game? We don't think there is any, but we're really curious.
Of course you can easily find a good number of videos showing a no bomb run going till 2-6 boss. However, I am assuming you mean clear of the whole game with no bomb? It certainly is quite feasible in principle [even if harder than just a no bomb run till 2-6 boss by an order of magnitude (if not more) I think]. My guess is that, on the very least, there would be at least a few no bomb clears of the game. Though I should qualify that this is still a guess on my part.

But I haven't ever seen a video of it though. If you do find such a video do post it here or in the STG videos thread.
Thanks for your answer!

Yes, indeed, I'm loooking for a complete clear without bombs, but I haven't seen any. If I happen to find any videos or something I will post them.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Lemnear wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:58 amNever thought that Capcom's 1942 was so famous, nor Raiden.
I was inclined to mention those two because the other series/titles I thought of were sci-fi themed, I tend to think that people are also generally aware of "airplane" shooters, and this pair are my best guesses as to which ones someone off the street might recognize. Raiden in particular was a bowling alley/diner lobby staple for some time, while 1942 gets the nod mainly because it was both one of the first of its kind and from a name as big as Capcom; as always, of course, I'm going largely by intuition, so take from this what you will.
Darius isn't famous worldwide?
Among gamers and/or nerds in general maybe, since the whole idea of fighting giant robotic fish is just the sort of thing that memes are made of, but even within that realm I'm pretty sure most think of this if the phrase "giant enemy crab" comes up.
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

100K? These days... Yeah.

I picked Ikaruga because, for better or worse it's legacy. The Dreamcast and GameCube versions sold 33,860 physical units in Japan. The Xbox Live Arcade version sold 137,088 digital units on the Xbox 360, as of 2011. The PC version has sold 128,543 digital units on Steam, as of 1 July 2018. (I C/P that from wiki).

More people buy now, than they did then. It was also on GameCube, Xbox 360, Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4. That's something.
Lemnear wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:33 pm This Is only to know if in the SHMUPS genre there's a direct correlation between "What Is Succesful" and "What is Good".
Nope. Just like any other art-form.
Any sufficiently advanced game-play is indistinguishable from cheating. - Arthur C. Clarke Resume :wink:
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BulletMagnet wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:50 pm
Darius isn't famous worldwide?
Among gamers and/or nerds in general maybe, since the whole idea of fighting giant robotic fish is just the sort of thing that memes are made of, but even within that realm I'm pretty sure most think of this if the phrase "giant enemy crab" comes up.
Ty!

Im nearly sure that Genji became a meme because they stated the game was "Historically Accurate", and then proceed with the Giant Enemy Crab :lol:.
There's something incredibly elegant and menacing with Darius bosses instead :D.
The_Fix wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:36 pm Nope. Just like any other art-form.
So the best selling shmups aren't also the "best" games?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Lemnear wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:50 amSo the best selling shmups aren't also the "best" games?
As convenient as it would be to simply look at the sales figures to judge a game (or book, or album, or movie, etc.) in terms of quality, the fact that individuals and fanbases alike use terms like "hidden gem" and "overrated" (or even "what were we thinking?") to describe titles that are viewed and treated markedly differently when some time has passed since their debut is enough on its own to disabuse any impartial observer of that notion. As with anything else, which offerings "deserve" the sales they got is a matter of opinion, but nobody is ever going to agree with the larger market 100 percent of the time; sometimes, sure, but not always.
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

Lemnear wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:50 am So the best selling shmups aren't also the "best" games?
No, no they are not.
As far as I see it, you as the player decides which game(s) are best; and in my opinion if sales are part of that decision, you're doing it wrong.
Any sufficiently advanced game-play is indistinguishable from cheating. - Arthur C. Clarke Resume :wink:
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

The_Fix wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:08 am
Lemnear wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:50 am So the best selling shmups aren't also the "best" games?
No, no they are not.
As far as I see it, you as the player decides which game(s) are best; and in my opinion if sales are part of that decision, you're doing it wrong.
I know.
But for example, Assassin's Creed is a successful game, but is far from being good (really below average AAA), same for others like COD or Skyrim.
In the past usually, a masterpiece was also the best selling game instead. Now the two things are totally detached...

EDIT: meanwhile i've found a very old CD-ROM with a game, but the disc is broken. The title is "Moral Minus", but i can't find anything about it...very few informations.
Spoiler
Last edited by Lemnear on Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Why is this even a question?

Extend that question to include all genres and ask it again. You're on a forum for a niche genre that the larger gaming audience barely knows exists, and many of those who do view it as something old and obsolete. If you think best selling equals "best" in any kind of qualitiative manner, then every shmup must be trash compared to the latest Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Madden 20xx, etc.

Even within the genre, or any genre, or movies, or anything else really, popularity and quality have little to do with each other. Is McDonald's the pinnacle of hamburgers?

Beyond that, as the two people above me pointed out in more nuanced responses, what is "best" anyway? Many fans of the genre would pick every Cave game over anything else, while those who don't really like bullet hell aren't going to place most of their games high on any list.
Lemnear wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:14 am In the past usually, a masterpiece was also the best selling game instead. Now the two things are totally detached...
Nah. When was that ever true? Now is no different than any other time, aside from maybe a little more cult-like following of whatever is popular just because of social media.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

cfx wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:21 am
Nah. When was that ever true? Now is no different than any other time, aside from maybe a little more cult-like following of whatever is popular just because of social media.
This implies that Super Mario or Street Fighter (successful games, critically acclaimed and some of the masterpiece of their respective genre) are out of this circle :? and that they are not the best of their era/genre.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Raiden did pretty damn well, and far better than Seibu Kaihatsu expected, but it definitely isn't because the game is well-designed; the game is honestly a poorly-designed piece of junk.
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

Lemnear wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:02 pm This implies that Super Mario or Street Fighter (successful games, critically acclaimed and some of the masterpiece of their respective genre) are out of this circle :? and that they are not the best of their era/genre.
An implication that is 100% right. Those games aren't even the best of their own series let alone genre. Super Mario 3 is better than 1 and Street Fighter 2 is better than 1.
There is very little to no correlation between popularity, sales or reviews and quality.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

The_Fix wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:13 pm Super Mario 3 is better than 1 and Street Fighter 2 is better than 1.
Yeh i mean the series in general...
The_Fix wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:13 pm An implication that is 100% right. Those games aren't even the best of their own series let alone genre.
This is a big discovery :shock: , since those examples are stuff considered "Legendary" in their era (like other extremely old and famous series)... i don't know what was the best (of any genre) at that time so.
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

Lemnear wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:00 pm i don't know what was the best (of any genre) at that time so.
What I am saying is you should find out. But, not by asking questions or reading what others have to say about what is and isn't quality.
Play these games, make your own choices form your own opinions. When you have made them; come back and tell me what you think the greatest 16-bit STG is. I'll be waiting.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:03 pm There was one for DS, Bangai-O Spirits, and one for XB 360, Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury. I haven't actually played either of them so I don't know how well they held up to the first game.
Pretty well really. I'm surprised the DS was able to handle all of what was going on at nearly full speed and had a fuck load of stages with an editor. I think Spirits was the first Treasure title I owned and I loved that game to death as a kid. Picked it up on a whim in 7th grade and hardly ever put it down. Missile Fury was similarly great but it's aesthetic was a slight step down.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Raiden 1: is the checkpoint respawn/in-place respawn (and the P upon death at full power) the only difference between the Japanese and overseas versions?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Soo whatever happened to Starr Mazer? You guys remember that?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Never came out, which is not shocking to me at all :shock:

I was involved with a team about 15 years back. We we're responsible for organizing large scale alternate reality events (be happy to tell you more if you want to hear it) in different cities. We payed a member of Star Mazer team to build a back end for us. Took our money - never delivered.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

For someone who loved Under Defeat, how much is similar Zero Gunner 2? should i try it?
The first and only Psikyo games i've played is Strikers 1945 II, and i think that is good but lack "uniqueness" (IMO).
cfx

Post by cfx »

The Strikers 1945 games bore me, but I think Zero Gunner 2 is great, if that says anything.
Steven

Post by Steven »

More Raiden 1: is it me or is diagonal movement faster than orthogonal movement?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lemnear wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:05 am For someone who loved Under Defeat, how much is similar Zero Gunner 2? should i try it?
They're not much alike, tbh, other than the basic concept of strafing. Where UD is a RayStormesque 2.5d take on Kyuukyoku Tiger, ZG2 is more like an arena STG with occasional terrain elements. Even their approach to strafing is very different, with UD limited to 45' tilts, and ZG2 letting you sweep a full 360'.

That said, ZG2 doesn't play much like Psikyo's other STGs, either. It's arguably nearer their topdown arena run/gun Cannon Spike. And I do like both it and UD, being very fond of strafing mechanics in general. So I'd give it a try. Image
Steven wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:04 pm More Raiden 1: is it me or is diagonal movement faster than orthogonal movement?
Offhand, it wouldn't surprise me. There are quite a few STGs like that, including a few really famous ones like Rayforce. An easy way to check if movement speed is standardised is to grind the ship diagonally along the screen edges, and see if it slows down. This effect can be legit handy when you want especially small micro-taps, haha.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EngineerSTG

Post by EngineerSTG »

Any recommendations for a good dpad for PS5?
I'm really REALLY wanting to use an M30 or even the new 8bitdo Neo Geo controller as I loved the old Neo Geo CD pads but can't for the life of me figure out what I need to pair those with adapter wise. The PS5 has been super frustrating.
Thanks!
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:14 pm Offhand, it wouldn't surprise me. There are quite a few STGs like that, including a few really famous ones like Rayforce. An easy way to check if movement speed is standardised is to grind the ship diagonally along the screen edges, and see if it slows down. This effect can be legit handy when you want especially small micro-taps, haha.
Yeah, I take advantage of the slower diagonal movement in Hishouzame when at lower power. Pretty sure Hishouzame doesn't slow your movement when you move diagonally against the edge of the screen, but I have played a few games that do.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Testing whether a given shmup is a 'movement normalizer' is an essential pre-flight check :)

It can be surprising; I tend to consider fast diagonals an old-school element, from a time when division was considered computationally expensive, but they show up in unexpected places sometimes.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Lander wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:48 pm Testing whether a given shmup is a 'movement normalizer' is an essential pre-flight check :)

It can be surprising; I tend to consider fast diagonals an old-school element, from a time when division was considered computationally expensive, but they show up in unexpected places sometimes.
Wait, is this the actual reason for this? I'd always assumed there was some gameplay/stylistic choice for this. Like, don't the Darius games have funky diagonals?