Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by BIL »

Lemnear wrote:
velo wrote:
Lemnear wrote:mmm i've got too many shmups together (+ other games) and jumping between them is not so helpful, so i really need to get some order :roll: :
Spoiler
1943 Kai: Midway Kaisen
1941: Counter Attack
1944: The Loop Master
19XX: The War Against the Destiny
Air Carrier Wing
Varth: Operation Thunder Storm
Progear
Eco Fighters
Giga Wing
Strikers 1945 II
Aero Fighters 2
Blazing Star
Dariusburst: AC Chronicle Saviour
Gleylancer
For now i've only finished but not "completed":
Spoiler
Progear (1CC till Stage 3, then i've died miserably at Stage 4 and 5).

Strikers 1945 II: 1CC but at Monkey difficulty...one day i will become a "Child" maybe...

Blazing Star: 1CC till the 6th Boss..then i have no idea on how to not die to that boss ,and the next and final boss (especially one attack in particular).

Aero Fighters 2 // Sonic Wings 2: 1CC till the pyramid boss, then, from that point till the end is impossible! :shock:

What is the "Difficulty Curve" that should i follow? :o
(i mean , finishable with 1CC and/or in an "acceptable" manner)

PS: Other Stuff (non-shmups):
Spoiler
Battle Circuit
Darkstalkers: The Night Warrior
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
Vampire Saviours: The Lord of Vampire
Pnickles
Street Fighter Alpha 3
King ot Fighters 98: Ultimate Match
There are some difficulty ranking lists on this forum, much debated. From your list, Gleylancer must be the easiest.
I've found some topics but are all personal 1CC Difficulty list, and a lot of games are missing.
Yeh i've figured out that Gleylancer is the easiest, maybe DariusBurst (not sure) but the rest? I can't jump seamlessy between them, or i'll forgot the patterns!
It's very common for well-designed arcade games to let you play around for a couple stages, before the toll comes due, and they kick you off the machine. Their home console counterparts often follow this model. You mention doing ok in several games, only to hit a wall a few stages in - that's how it goes! I bet if you focus on one particular game - especially if you use savestates to chop out those opening preambles, or at least if you use credits to see more of the game, instead of just endlessly repeating the runup to the wall - you'll find yourself making progress.

I like having an "A" game as a 1CC project, and a "B" game - typically something I intend to tackle later - for fooling about with.

Now of course, some games are harder than others. Progress in Thunder Cross and Hishouzame comes easier than progress in Gradius III or Tatsujin Ou. Know your target! And also know a lot of players would say the former two are much better games. ;3 If it feels like a miserable job (as opposed to an enjoyably challenging hobby), move onto something you're liking more. (any game will start getting on your nerves if you're trying to optimise for score or even just No Miss, but basic win-at-all-cost 1CCs are generally much less stringent)

TLDR: Treat 'em like a girl you wanna fuck ImageImage Image But know when to take a break, or you'll end up like this dude! :shock: Image Image
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:In most shmups, enemies either follow a predetermined path as they move onscreen, or they move in relation to your position (i.e. flying right at you as they appear, or flying so they stay just in front of you). I can't think of any shmups with enemies or bosses that really complex AI in terms of attacks and movement that's significantly different from your average autoscrolling shmup, so I suspect it's a relative rarity, but others should be able to provide better examples.

Yeah, I wasn’t really thinking in terms of individually complex AI so much as AI that provides emergent complexity. The Pac-man ghosts come to mind— the main thing that differentiates each of them is how the target tile is generated, but that simple change makes each ghost use a different strategy and the combination of all four behaviors creates something interesting (scatter/chase and other things set aside). Enemies that move in complex and exploitable ways should theoretically blend with the existing complexities of dodging and shooting to create something interesting.

I probably should’ve clarified further… but in my defense, I was genuinely expecting slightly more. That might’ve been naive in retrospect?

Lethe wrote:
Technicolor wrote:Are there specific games that cite a Hellsinker influence (I know of TH11)
Hadn't heard of this, do you know what the connection is supposed to be specifically? It does make some sense. Coincidentally Hellsinker has many similarities to TH08, which came out early in its development period, but it's difficult to say how much of that is happenstance.
I admittedly don’t have a specific source for this on hand. I remember reading it online at some point, but if that sort of inspiration isn’t well-known that probably speaks to what Roo was saying.

Which flummoxes me when looking at the Steam blurb… I guess it could just be exaggerated to boost sales? But that seems like an odd move with a game that seems to want to be obscure. Maybe the developer’s priorities just shifted over time.

Rastan78 wrote:Darius Gaiden and G Darius come to mind as having a lot of enemy types with unique or slightly complex and unusual behaviors. Gaiden for example has an enemy that only takes damage when you're not firing, an enemy that can only be rammed into but is otherwise invincible, lots of enemies that have unique movement that responds to your own position etc.

If that's what you're looking for there are probably a lot of other good examples. Truly complex enemy AI though? That's probably something of a rarity. It might not even fit well with the genre bc shmups are more about forming consistent and repeatable patterns with like 5 or 10 percent being pure skill and reaction once you git gud at a specific game. If you introduce an AI that's so complex it can't be easily manipulated in repeatable ways that would really change up the way a shmup played for better or worse.

Oh and Xevious has a hidden enemy that can generate term papers and deep fake pics of Trump getting arrested.
Yeah, it’d probably not be the greatest thing… though heavily randomized bosses like Black Heart do exist, so maybe it’s more a matter of not being worth the effort put in.
What about leaning into the emergent aspect? Groups of enemies that react to the player as well as to each other or to bullets on the screen? Theoretically that’d be perfectly manipulatable in otherwise-memo sections of gameplay, albeit in a Rube Goldberg sort of way, but would anyone want that?

Lots of game names being thrown around here. I’ll have to jot them down!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Lemnear wrote:mmm i've got too many shmups together (+ other games) and jumping between them is not so helpful, so i really need to get some order :roll: :
Spoiler
1943 Kai: Midway Kaisen
1941: Counter Attack
1944: The Loop Master
19XX: The War Against the Destiny
Air Carrier Wing
Varth: Operation Thunder Storm
Progear
Eco Fighters
Giga Wing
Strikers 1945 II
Aero Fighters 2
Blazing Star
Dariusburst: AC Chronicle Saviour
Gleylancer
For now i've only finished but not "completed":
Spoiler
Progear (1CC till Stage 3, then i've died miserably at Stage 4 and 5).

Strikers 1945 II: 1CC but at Monkey difficulty...one day i will become a "Child" maybe...

Blazing Star: 1CC till the 6th Boss..then i have no idea on how to not die to that boss ,and the next and final boss (especially one attack in particular).

Aero Fighters 2 // Sonic Wings 2: 1CC till the pyramid boss, then, from that point till the end is impossible! :shock:

What is the "Difficulty Curve" that should i follow? :o
(i mean , finishable with 1CC and/or in an "acceptable" manner)

PS: Other Stuff (non-shmups):
Spoiler
Battle Circuit
Darkstalkers: The Night Warrior
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
Vampire Saviours: The Lord of Vampire
Pnickles
Street Fighter Alpha 3
King ot Fighters 98: Ultimate Match
Seconding Gleylancer. It's a pretty good entry-level game, but it is quite long, so expect to be there for almost an hour.
BIL wrote:
jehu wrote:K. Tiger is another game with absolute son'bitch zako like Gun Frontier - I can't play one without thinking of the other. In the relative sense of AI that you're talking about, I think this fits the bill. I'm assuming this is what you're looking for, yeah?
Kt is extra-cute with each zako heli having its own colour scheme :3 Some rubberband down and back in a "U," pelting all the way (Seibu nicked these for Raiden), some aggressively camp at your flanks, others (Basic Blues) just go for the banzai head-on collision... as it typical of Toaplan, so much personality despite the balls-hard military aesthetic.
Pretty sure that was all Uemura-san. That's the type of thing he'd do, and I think the whole thing with the zako being considered far more important than the bosses, which are just a bonus for surviving the zako, is him as well. I might be wrong, though, especially since he did mention on Youtube that he really liked programming the bosses.
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

Oh my god that CoderGames thread was hell to read
BIL

Post by BIL »

Technicolor wrote:Oh my god that CoderGames thread was hell to read
I know, I'd forgotten. :shock: Ended the best way though. :lol:
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BIL wrote: It's very common for well-designed arcade games to let you play around for a couple stages, before the toll comes due, and they kick you off the machine. Their home console counterparts often follow this model. You mention doing ok in several games, only to hit a wall a few stages in - that's how it goes! I bet if you focus on one particular game - especially if you use savestates to chop out those opening preambles, or at least if you use credits to see more of the game, instead of just endlessly repeating the runup to the wall - you'll find yourself making progress.

I like having an "A" game as a 1CC project, and a "B" game - typically something I intend to tackle later - for fooling about with.

Now of course, some games are harder than others. Progress in Thunder Cross and Hishouzame comes easier than progress in Gradius III or Tatsujin Ou. Know your target! And also know a lot of players would say the former two are much better games. ;3 If it feels like a miserable job (as opposed to an enjoyably challenging hobby), move onto something you're liking more. (any game will start getting on your nerves if you're trying to optimise for score or even just No Miss, but basic win-at-all-cost 1CCs are generally much less stringent)

TLDR: Treat 'em like a girl you wanna fuck ImageImage Image But know when to take a break, or you'll end up like this dude! :shock: Image Image
Thank you BIL as usual!.
No no, i've finished most of those games using 20+CC...so i don't feel that "i've finished them" not in an acceptable way (maybe 3 or 5 Credits?).
For the ones that i like the most i would try to finish them with 1CC, hoping they are fun and engaging like it was Under Defeat for me.

I've hit several different walls in difficulty...
A) Can't resist for too long bullet-hell session, and if the boss fight that do that is too long i'm doomed.
B) Some difficulty in back-diagonal manouvers.
C) Can't dodge properly fast bullets (ex:Aero Fighters 2).
D) Sometimes i can't see the bullets on screen (ex:1944).
E) 1943 Kai is impossible...are those lavander planes the so-called "Pop Corn" enemies? they come from everywhere, moving in a hateble wavy way...and are also kamikaze!
Steven wrote: Seconding Gleylancer. It's a pretty good entry-level game, but it is quite long, so expect to be there for almost an hour.
F) Also this...if the game is longer than 20-30mins i start to lose focus...and i need to use savepoints (is it still 1CC ?).
__
R) I'm totally negated for R-Type-likes games :cry:
Z) Is Battle Garegga the best of the best for real? I'm not sure to be prepared for that, i think that it will be the LAST step on my path!

PS: No problem with Strikers 1945 II for example, nor difficulty spikes or sections where i don't know exactly what to do. The action is clear and legible always.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Technicolor wrote:Oh my god that CoderGames thread was hell to read
Holy fuck you were not joking.
CoderGames wrote:I could make Crimzon Clover in 2~3 months because there is no AI or physics and the game is brainless
I can think of nothing to say at all. Nothing I could say would be more entertaining than this.
Lemnear wrote:
Steven wrote: Seconding Gleylancer. It's a pretty good entry-level game, but it is quite long, so expect to be there for almost an hour.
F) Also this...if the game is longer than 20-30mins i start to lose focus...and i need to use savepoints (is it still 1CC ?).
It's kind of like a TAS at that point, basically. You should use save states to practice, though. It's significantly faster and more efficient than putting another coin in and starting from the beginning every time, and therefore way better. Long games can be exhausting, but you kind of get used to it after a while.
Lemnear wrote:Z) Is Battle Garegga the best of the best for real? I'm not sure to be prepared for that, i think that it will be the LAST step on my path!
Battle Garegga is a difficult and very unusually designed game. It's really damn good, but you can't play it like a regular STG or it WILL send you to the game over screen. I think it's a very well-designed game and it is a lot of fun until I game over, as the game is still way too hard for me, but if you fly around picking up every powerup and never stop shooting, you're going to have a very difficult time with the game.

That said, you should check out PS4 Garegga's Premium mode. That can be played like a regular STG and it's good. It's still not going to be easy, but it is still significantly easier than regular Garegga and there is an autobomb and stuff that should help. If you have difficulty seeing the bullets, there are some options in the menu that you can use to change the bullets to be more visible.

There is one more game that I think you should check out that I do not know if anyone told you about: GG Aleste 3. Try that as well. Actually, I think this is also almost an hour long if you do not use the kaiteki mode, but yeah. I need to get back to this game and get a kaiteki mode clear this time, now that I think about it.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Steven wrote:
Lemnear wrote:Z) Is Battle Garegga the best of the best for real? I'm not sure to be prepared for that, i think that it will be the LAST step on my path!
Battle Garegga is a difficult and very unusually designed game. It's really damn good, but you can't play it like a regular STG or it WILL send you to the game over screen. I think it's a very well-designed game and it is a lot of fun until I game over, as the game is still way too hard for me, but if you fly around picking up every powerup and never stop shooting, you're going to have a very difficult time with the game.

That said, you should check out PS4 Garegga's Premium mode. That can be played like a regular STG and it's good. It's still not going to be easy, but it is still significantly easier than regular Garegga and there is an autobomb and stuff that should help. If you have difficulty seeing the bullets, there are some options in the menu that you can use to change the bullets to be more visible.

There is one more game that I think you should check out that I do not know if anyone told you about: GG Aleste 3. Try that as well. Actually, I think this is also almost an hour long if you do not use the kaiteki mode, but yeah. I need to get back to this game and get a kaiteki mode clear this time, now that I think about it.
So Battle Garegga is "counter-intuitive" like Ikaruga? I feel like the more i play Ikaruga, the more i "dislearning" the basic of SHMUPS , but i love Ikaruga T__T.
For Aleste, i have an old SEGA Game Gear of my uncle, it works...now i only need to find the physical game! I've never purchased a cartridge before °^° ( if i can, in this case i prefer physical over digital).

EDIT: i was always intrigued by Aleste since i've seen those cover arts...and even by the elegance of the game name. (Happened the same with Gleylancer)
Spoiler
PS: weird that there aren't topics for the Best Cover Art , or best Ship design.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Technicolor wrote:
BTW I highly recommend giving Hellsinker a try if you're also into the more abstract/high-level side of design. It does a number of clever things which may not be obvious on first pass, or the second or third. The developer had very much a birds-eye view of what he was trying to make, but was also able to isolate the parts of the genre he wanted to preserve and integrate it with new design, which is a rare combination of skills. One of the first things its manual does is note that this is a game where you're always facing upwards. It's not "danmaku action" or "hyper mania shooting!!!", it's "a game where you're always facing upwards". A perfect inverse of how I find myself summarizing boringly conventional games: "it's a game with bullets in it".
Steven

Post by Steven »

Lemnear wrote: So Battle Garegga is "counter-intuitive" like Ikaruga? I feel like the more i play Ikaruga, the more i "dislearning" the basic of SHMUPS , but i love Ikaruga T__T.
For Aleste, i have an old SEGA Game Gear of my uncle, it works...now i only need to find the physical game! I've never purchased a cartridge before °^° ( if i can, in this case i prefer physical over digital).
I can't really say much about Ikaruga because I don't really like that game for some unknown reason and don't really play it a lot, but I can say that you will not find a Game Gear cartridge for GG Aleste 3, though, so don't bother looking for one; it was never publicly released on the Game Gear, just PS4, Switch, and that funny Game Gear Micro thing, but I'd buy a real Game Gear just for that game if they did decide to actually release such a cartridge.

GG Aleste is... honestly, I found it ridiculously easy to the point where it was ultra boring. I think GG Aleste is the single easiest STG I have ever played in my life. I forgot if I played GG Aleste II (I don't think I did), but GG Aleste 3 is probably one of the best new shooters of the past few years.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Steven wrote: I can't really say much about Ikaruga because I don't really like that game for some unknown reason and don't really play it a lot, but I can say that you will not find a Game Gear cartridge for GG Aleste 3, though, so don't bother looking for one; it was never publicly released on the Game Gear, just PS4, Switch, and that funny Game Gear Micro thing, but I'd buy a real Game Gear just for that game if they did decide to actually release such a cartridge.

GG Aleste is... honestly, I found it ridiculously easy to the point where it was ultra boring. I think GG Aleste is the single easiest STG I have ever played in my life. I forgot if I played GG Aleste II (I don't think I did), but GG Aleste 3 is probably one of the best new shooters of the past few years.
but ....but.... :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Aleste_3
So is only for the collector's edition with the Game Gear Micro... :cry:
Holy moly how much the original GG version costs :shock:
Aaand obviously...the only 2 (maybe 3) GG chartridge i have are cheap :roll:
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

Steven wrote:Holy fuck you were not joking.
It’s hell. It follows the exact formula you’d expect and then keeps going for four more pages.
Lethe wrote:Hellsinker snip
Hellsinker’s been on my radar for a while, yeah. I’m torn between playing it early on or trying to get a few 1ccs in beforehand— some games feel like they have to be “earned,” y’know?
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

not directly related to SHMUPS but...how can i insert an image in my signature? and how i can put it on the right corner? :)

PS:i've played Gleylancer...the problem is that i've played on Easy with Speed 1, to see how the game is, but the ship is too slow for complete the final boss :?
oh well, is time for the Normal run with Speed 2, then Hard with Speed 3.
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

Does anyone know where this soundtrack comes from?

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=77QT_Vrxkmo

(It’s one of Jaimers’s videos— apparently it’s not available on base Youtube anymore? I’ll remove the link if asked.)

I assume it’s some kind of stock music or from a shmup I haven’t seen, since Colorful Shooting uses some of the same songs.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Lemnear wrote: PS:i've played Gleylancer...the problem is that i've played on Easy with Speed 1, to see how the game is, but the ship is too slow for complete the final boss :?
Speed is adjustable in game. It isn't tied to difficulty. Don't know why speed 1 is the default since it's too slow and I often die when I forget that it goes back to the default speed when you die.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Technicolor wrote:Does anyone know where this soundtrack comes from?

(It’s one of Jaimers’s videos— apparently it’s not available on base Youtube anymore?
It's still on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QT_Vrxkmo

The game is known in the English files as "Boon" (I think this is meant to be onomatopoeia?). There's a download link to the game in the video, and as per the HTML manual included with the game, the midi music is from a freeware collection by Takabosoft: https://takabosoft.com/music/freemidi (Stage 1 for instance is in the Enban.net zip file under STG_5/Stage3.MID). It appears some (or all of it, I haven't checked every file) came from a collection of games on a Japanese Flash game site that Takabosoft was commissioned to make music for. When the site closed down, the music rights went back to Takabosoft and he released them as free to use:
Takabosoft via Google Translate wrote:A few years ago, ASCII launched an entertainment site called "enban.net" ( related link ).
The site mainly distributed games, voice actors, Internet radio, etc. (in the form of free, some paid), but the person in charge of enban.net requested the BGM of the game content (obtained from EDGE) It's just a connection lol), I've been making songs since I entered college. One or two songs a week was a bit of a tough pace for me, but I still remember how I managed to meet the deadline every time, wheezing.

Unfortunately, the site ended after a few years, but recently I received a report from the person in charge at the time that the rights to the MIDI data were returned to the author, so I'll publish it here. .

There are 1 mahjong game and 8 shooting games, totaling 66 songs.
There are some variations in quality, but don't worry about that (Baki
2 loops and fades out.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BrianC wrote:
Lemnear wrote: PS:i've played Gleylancer...the problem is that i've played on Easy with Speed 1, to see how the game is, but the ship is too slow for complete the final boss :?
Speed is adjustable in game. It isn't tied to difficulty. Don't know why speed 1 is the default since it's too slow and I often die when I forget that it goes back to the default speed when you die.
Ye, i know, but did you know this? :lol:

(while recording with PS4, if you exit to the playstation menu, and then return to the game, this is what happen):
Spoiler
Speed 4 is more a malus than a bonus lol...

EDIT: for DariusBurst, what is the 1CC run? every route in AC/EX ??? or?
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

-Near to 1CC Gleylancer, totally (max at Hard, not in Maniac Mode).
-Then trying to 1CC Strikers 1945 II at Child difficulty (already done in Monkey :oops: )
-Training with the infinitely long DariusBurst.

So what's the next step? Maybe the SHMUPS in both the Capcom Arcade Stadium...
But , there's not a complete list of game difficulty completion (or 1CC) , lots of games are missing...
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

till 6 July:

Natsuki Chronicles €/$ 5,99 (from €/$19,99)
Ginga Force €/$ 5,99 (from €/$19,99)

all Psikyo games at €/$7,19 (instead of €/$8,99)

Something worth?
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

Thanks for the answer Roo, sorry for not responding earlier. I actually ended up finding the songs on Youtube from the information you gave me…though I actually think I prefer the raw MIDI versions, lol.

New question: Are there any beginner-friendly threads should I check to explore playing tate on PC, especially MAME? I’m not really sure how to even begin scouring the forum for that, nor the wider internet.
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Lemnear, Natsuki is a very solid, well-polished and accessible hori. It's a total steal at that price. I suspect GF is too.

Quick basic Qs about KAMUI, aimed at simple survival play @Normal. I feel a little lazy asking this, but (while there have been notable appreciative writeups on this forum) I haven't found any detailed guide, just the skeletal outline below, so it might be worthwhile for others.

https://shmup.fandom.com/wiki/Kamui

-I take it there are no Extends, and as for the shield boosts... my best guess right now is that they appear at most once per stage, at a randomized location (probably from among discrete set of options)?

-I don't quite get how to maximize DPS on lower-plane enemies, particularly tanky ones, disregarding the score-bonus aspects. Is button-mashing the lightning attack correct? I know charging the meter can target more enemies, but I don't see evidence that it does more damage to a limited number. I also am unsure, in fights where a boss has target-parts on both depth planes and you just want to fully dispatch him, what to prioritize. Guessing that regular shot plus metronomic lightning-sword attacks are the way to go, unless there is a particular hazard on the lower plane.

Really killer aesthetics and overall experience on this game, btw. They absolutely justify pushing through, even embracing, the perceptual challenges of the game's split-layer system and "primitive" pseudo-3D graphics. (And I say this as someone who usually holds visual clarity/immediacy near the top of my gaming priorities.) There's a real eloquence to its evocation of space and soaring vertical motion with such limited means, and it does click with practice.

Another distinctive is the large quantity of rank slaughter, the player bringing death from on high by unaimed lightning strikes. Troubling but innately compelling---and the game even eliminates challenge and slows its pace in some grim passages as if to say, think about what you're doing... with each target reticle concurring, this was your choice.

The OST is one that initially struck me as a bit cornball, alternating between slow, neoclassical solemnity (synth choirs + organ) and galloping rhythms; but they completely fit the game's movement from huge vistas, to whooshing canyon descents, to over-the-top technoapocalypse. Totally sold me as I entered the game-space more fully.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

dojo_b wrote:Lemnear, Natsuki is a very solid, well-polished and accessible hori. It's a total steal at that price. I suspect GF is too.
better now that a full price.

AND:
Spoiler
Finest and polished shmups around?
With perfect gameplay, aesthetic/design, but also with:
Extras (Artwork Galleries, BGM Selection, Endings).
Modes (Training, Boss Rush, Stage Selection).
Customizations.

A lot of them are a bit barebone on that side...
Steven

Post by Steven »

I liked Ginga Force more than Natsuki at the time. If I played them both again now I'm not sure what my opinion would be, but Ginga Force has some weirdness going on with its design and I would understand if someone said the game is bad or something like that.

Just make sure you play Ginga Force on easy before you go to normal and don't even think about playing hard until you have most of the best equipment in the game. They may be labelled easy, normal, and hard, but even easy isn't actually particularly easy.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Someday I'll put enough time into Kamui to get the 1CC. There's a lot that I like about the game but it has no staying power for me. I play it for a few sessions and just put down and don't come back to it. I think it's the music. It's just so overbearing. Loud and epic just for the sake of it.

Also, Eschatos is one of my favorite shmups ever, and to go from that to Ginga Force and Natsuki is pretty disappointing. You can see elements of Eschatos in those games, but they come up pretty short for me. I can't stand Ginga Force, absolutely terrible. Natsuki is decent, I guess? Qute should be making games that are way better than that, though.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Kamui is one of the best STGs you'll ever play. If you don't like the music, that's what the CD audio option is for. Put your Battle Garrega, Soukyuugurentai, RayForce, or Dogyuun!! OST in your disc drive and choose the CD audio option and there you go.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Lemnear wrote: AND:
Finest and polished shmups around?
With perfect gameplay, aesthetic/design, but also with:
Extras (Artwork Galleries, BGM Selection, Endings).
Modes (Training, Boss Rush, Stage Selection).
Customizations.

A lot of them are a bit barebone on that side...
It gives me some sense of "completeness" , there are some example? (curiosity)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Basically anything on M2 ShotTriggers has most of that, although the three earliest ones, Battle Garegga, Mahou Daisakusen, and Dangun Feveron, don't have training modes.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Steven wrote:Basically anything on M2 ShotTriggers has most of that, although the three earliest ones, Battle Garegga, Mahou Daisakusen, and Dangun Feveron, don't have training modes.
Good to know :D
So...why Battle Garegga cost less on the Japanese PSN Store? :shock: is only in Japanese? (same for Batsugun).
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Hello all. A quick question . In regards to m2 releases the darius compliations and the neo geo archives. Is it better to get games on the ps4 or switch?

I feel as if i should collect them all on one console instead of spreading them out any tips?

Do they run the same on both?
Arms installation complete Good luck
velo

Post by velo »

Lemnear wrote:-Near to 1CC Gleylancer, totally (max at Hard, not in Maniac Mode).
-Then trying to 1CC Strikers 1945 II at Child difficulty (already done in Monkey :oops: )
-Training with the infinitely long DariusBurst.

So what's the next step? Maybe the SHMUPS in both the Capcom Arcade Stadium...
But , there's not a complete list of game difficulty completion (or 1CC) , lots of games are missing...
Lemnear wrote: EDIT: for DariusBurst, what is the 1CC run? every route in AC/EX ??? or?
In Darius a 1cc on any route "counts". I'm very underqualified to rank all those Capcom shmups by difficulty but iirc the Japanese difficulty has 1943 (with the shotgun) ranked pretty easy. There's something up with the difficulty in the Stadium version of Progear where the default difficulty on the US version is set too high. Playing what really captures your interest is always the best advice though.