Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CStarFlare

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by CStarFlare »

IIRC I think Illvelo's standalone release is exactly the same as the version on the collection, but Radirgy Noa's Wii release had a special version of Illvelo called Illvelo Still which isn't included on the collection.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ah, maybe that's what I was thinking of. I knew there was SOMEthing that wasn't included on the collection (and to the best of my knowledge the 360 version of Noa doesn't have it either, though it's got other extra stuff).
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

How easy(or hard) is it to tate a flat 29'' CRT on its side. The things weighs almost 40kg or so. Is it even safe? Or should it just get a 21'' CRT to tate.

We have a 29'' Onida flat CRT tv, but we are thinking of getting a LCD/plasma 32''. I thought I ll keep it tate hooked up to my PS2. The geometry isnt great and there is slight warping which isnt that bothersome. Is it really practical to have that large a crt on tate, or should i just find a cheap 21'' one.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Stupid Question #1:

If I buy a korean XBOX 360, can I use it in Europe without any problems, and play japanese shmups on it? Do I need a plug-in adapter?

Stupid Question #2:

I would like to play Shikigami no Shiro III on my pc, with Windows 7. I get an error message after I try to launch the game, and I have installed the relevant version of Direct X. What should I do, to fix this? Shikigami no shiro Ex and II (PC) work fine, instead.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Randorama wrote:If I buy a korean XBOX 360, can I use it in Europe without any problems, and play japanese shmups on it? Do I need a plug-in adapter?
As long as the range of input voltage and frequency on the power supply matches what comes out of the outlet of the country you want to use it in, everything will work with no issues. This thread has a bunch of information about using a JP/KOR/HK region 360 in the rest of the world.
Randorama wrote:I would like to play Shikigami no Shiro III on my pc, with Windows 7. I get an error message after I try to launch the game, and I have installed the relevant version of Direct X. What should I do, to fix this? Shikigami no shiro Ex and II (PC) work fine, instead.
Do you have a screenshot of the error message?
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Randorama wrote:Stupid Question #2:

I would like to play Shikigami no Shiro III on my pc, with Windows 7. I get an error message after I try to launch the game, and I have installed the relevant version of Direct X. What should I do, to fix this? Shikigami no shiro Ex and II (PC) work fine, instead.
Mine works fine without it, but have you tried using applocale (or completely swapping into japanese locale)?
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

AntiFritz wrote:
Randorama wrote:Stupid Question #2:

Mine works fine without it, but have you tried using applocale (or completely swapping into japanese locale)?
^^This was needed for my Swedish WinXP back in the day.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

nZero wrote:
As long as the range of input voltage and frequency on the power supply matches what comes out of the outlet of the country you want to use it in, everything will work with no issues. This thread has a bunch of information about using a JP/KOR/HK region 360 in the rest of the world.
Thank you. Just to confirm this (Emphatic, if you also know): Sweden (and EU) and Korea have the same power supply types, haven't they?
Randorama wrote:
Do you have a screenshot of the error message?
Thank you again, yes: Image
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Randorama wrote: Just to confirm this (Emphatic, if you also know): Sweden (and EU) and Korea have the same power supply types, haven't they?
Sweden has 230 volts from the wall socket along with the rest of the EU if that's what you mean, but I'm not sure if that's true about Korea. There might be differences on how the prongs going into the wall look as well.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Randorama wrote:Image
It seems to be failing the CD check. The error message is asking you to remove and reinsert the CD-ROM, click OK and then restart the application. I can't really discuss the most obvious solution due to the forum rules.
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Whats the difference between the recently released PS Muchi Pork Cave the best version in Feb according to Play asia,

http://www.play-asia.com/paOScore/19-71 ... weets.html

and the original release in '11?
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Nothing other than the cover, as far as I know.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

nZero wrote: It seems to be failing the CD check. The error message is asking you to remove and reinsert the CD-ROM, click OK and then restart the application. I can't really discuss the most obvious solution due to the forum rules.

Thanks, let us say that I already opted for the most obvious solution, I guess that is why I get this message. Bah, I will fly back home soon and the problem will be solved.

@Emphatic: yes, thank you.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Aleksei wrote:Whats the difference between the recently released PS Muchi Pork Cave the best version in Feb according to Play asia,

Does the reprint come with the "Matsuri" mode DLC that the original print did? On-disc I'd assume the games are the same, though the Platinum editions tend not to include extra stuff that came with the first editions.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I wanted to see what the fuss was about with Cave's more recent output so I just ordered...

DoDonPachi Saidai Oujou (AmiAmi having the standard version on sale triggered this btw)
Espgaluda II Black Label Platinum
Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 Platinum
Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets Platinum

I also have but not played seriously yet...

Akai Katana (with dlc)
DoDonPachi Resurrection (with dlc)
Deathsmiles (with dlc) <--- This one I probably played the most.

Which one should I try first? I herd Muchi Muchi Pork and Deathsmiles are pretty beginner friendly?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Danny wrote:Which one should I try first? I herd Muchi Muchi Pork and Deathsmiles are pretty beginner friendly?
Muchi Muchi Pork is... weird. The hitbox is tough to get a feel for, there's no boss lifebar, etc. It's less representative of their later style than some of the other Cave games are.

Deathsmiles is a good starter, but having to watch out on both sides of the screen can make it tricky. A lot of people find it a very easy clear though, not very dense, you can pick your own difficulty on each stage, etc.

Futari Black Label is a safe bet - it's popular, the mechanics are simple, the shot types are fun, and you don't have to worry about hypering mechanics or recharging a power meter to do well, it's simply shot/laser/bomb.
Miher

Post by Miher »

Does anyone know what the last achievement on the iOS version of DFK is? Yeah, I know, "iOS" and "achievements," but it's something that's been bugging me...I have 46 out of the 47 and am at 900 points, so I assume the last one is worth 100 points. The obvious guess would be a no miss or something along those lines. Has anyone gotten it? There are only incomplete achievement lists out there, and I even searched on google.jp, but it seems there's even less info in Japanese. Thanks!
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Originally posted this in its own topic before seeing this thread. :oops:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, due to a lack of any information online (at least I was unable to find any). I'm playing the R's Best re-release of R-Type Delta on my slim PS2 (the newest slim model, the one that can play the volcano stage of Gradius Gaiden without any problems), and, occassionally, I'll encounter massive slowdown in certain portions of Stage 2 (just before the boss and at the boss). The game literally grinds to nearly a halt. It's weird because its very, very random (only happens now and then), and if I die and restart in the same section (or if it occurs in the section before the boss and then goes to the boss), it will play normally I bought the game brand new this year so it's definetly not an issue with the disc. The error only occurs so far in stage 2 (I've only played the first four stages). Anyone else experience anything similar?
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Does anyone know how the Japanese ships are translated in Change Air Blade? I'm not having a good luck figuring out what to call them.

1P
百参拾八式"猛御雷"
甲-58型"鍾馗"

2P
百六拾六式"荒御雷"
乙-58型"飛燕"
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Uzumakijl

Post by Uzumakijl »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Aleksei wrote:Whats the difference between the recently released PS Muchi Pork Cave the best version in Feb according to Play asia,

Does the reprint come with the "Matsuri" mode DLC that the original print did? On-disc I'd assume the games are the same, though the Platinum editions tend not to include extra stuff that came with the first editions.
It doesn't, It's just the disc and booklet.
“Approach your target and attack. Your mission starts now. Are you ready?”
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Playing for score in DFK 1.5 is such a finnicky bitch!

Can someone explain wtf the conditions are that either make the combo counter turn purple and tick down or break entirely. It's driving me nuts.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Skykid wrote:Playing for score in DFK 1.5 is such a finnicky bitch!

Can someone explain wtf the conditions are that either make the combo counter turn purple and tick down or break entirely. It's driving me nuts.
Whether you have a full hyper gauge or not, I thought.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ah. Crap. Something grossly unavoidable when trying to steer your way through the latter half of any stage without hypering :facepalm:

DFK + Scoring = pain. DOJ may be tough, but at least it's succinct. Keeping bosses alive just to splurge on laser attacks and constantly having to avoid jacking the hyper rank too high is only the start of it.

I think it's time I finally cave and watch some replays.

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Skykid wrote:Can someone explain wtf the conditions are that either make the combo counter turn purple and tick down or break entirely. It's driving me nuts.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your combo drops and you're in the middle of a hyper or your hyper meter is full (i.e. you're getting the hit multiplier bonus) you immediately drop the full combo. Same applies if you use a bomb. The combo ticking only happens if you're not hypering and you drop a combo with an empty/partially filled hyper gauge. For some reason I remember reading that if your hit meter is above a certain value (like 10k or so) and you drop the combo, it will reset your hits to 0 instead of doing the countdown, but I'm not 100% on this.

Basically, treat it like you would any other DDP game and be prepared to learn to chain the stages well in order to score and assume a dropped chain means a hit count reset.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BareknuckleRoo wrote: Basically, treat it like you would any other DDP game and be prepared to learn to chain the stages well in order to score and assume a dropped chain means a hit count reset.
Yep, that's basically what it comes down to. I really don't study replays much, I'm kind of a kinaesthetic person when it comes to videogame practice - but I really should for this. It's a complete shit of a game for scoring, a good example being the first stage: I sometimes drop the 300 combo right before the Ura mid-boss after the tanks, and then chain the rest of the stage. If I keep that first 300 intact and add it to my combo tally for a complete stage chain, the points are monumentally different - for a lousy 300 hits! It's the difference between getting the extend in the run up to the first stage boss, and not getting it until half way through the second stage. Crazy.

Also, I understand stages 3 and 4 are where the biggest points are? I'm yet to chain the whole of stage 2 entirely, and everything on the 3rd and 4th stages is fractured.

Basically, I think it's actually more difficult to chain than DOJ. For serious:

In DOJ, you hyper to keep your chain, you hyper to increase your combo and your score, and you hyper to bridge. It can form a very natural band aid through the tougher enemy formations. DOJ requires precision, but learning good hyper usage can see you through some tough spots.

In DFK you can't fucking hyper. There's all this shit coming at you from the mid-boss onward, and any time there's dead air, it's so easy to drop your meter because the cocking gauge is full. I'm sort of warming up to the whole thing, but at times it just seems totally backwards.

So I'm off now to add a dream game hack to the appropriate thread.

Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Umm so a forward logic would be to reward you from doing things the easy way?

Also
Skykid wrote:Yeah, I can't see the problem either. The game is the way it is. Put your best hard hat on, get in there and make it your bitch, rather than allow it to make one out of you.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Erppo wrote:Umm so a forward logic would be to reward you from doing things the easy way?
Oh go away.

How did you manage to ascertain that I wanted the game to give me an easy ride, exactly? I didn't say that. The scoring system is convoluted and abstruse, and that makes it a hard system to grow an appreciation for. Doesn't mean I dislike it or want it to treat me with kid gloves.

Better yet, if you don't read or can't understand a post, don't reply to it. Forward logic?

Erppo

Post by Erppo »

A direct quote:
Skykid wrote:In DFK you can't fucking hyper. There's all this shit coming at you from the mid-boss onward, and any time there's dead air, it's so easy to drop your meter because the cocking gauge is full. I'm sort of warming up to the whole thing, but at times it just seems totally backwards.
If you don't actually mean what you say, I can't help it. Hypers make almost everything in the game piss easy so naturally there's a cost in using them. If a part is too hard for you, you're allowed to hyper it but you'll lose some potential score. This is all perfectly logical design.

The system is also clearer than trying to figure out where exactly you should hyper in DOJ, which usually comes down to trial and error since it's extremely hard to predict what kind of an effect will the hypers have. DFK is easier to figure out, there are only the key targets and there's the hyper that temporarily takes away the multiplier.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

CStarFlare wrote:Does anyone know how the Japanese ships are translated in Change Air Blade? I'm not having a good luck figuring out what to call them.

1P
百参拾八式"猛御雷"
甲-58型"鍾馗"

2P
百六拾六式"荒御雷"
乙-58型"飛燕"
I think the bottom-row 1P ship's called Shoki and the bottom-row 2P one's Hien (or Swallow).
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Skykid wrote:In DOJ, you hyper to keep your chain, you hyper to increase your combo and your score, and you hyper to bridge. It can form a very natural band aid through the tougher enemy formations. DOJ requires precision, but learning good hyper usage can see you through some tough spots.
Keeping your hyper at all times to score well in DFK does initially seem stricter, but remember that hyper rank in DFK only seems to affect how easily you can cancel bullets (if at all) and doesn't have the bullet speed increase per hyper that DOJ has. DOJ Black Label doesn't increase rank per hyper very much, but I'm sure in the second loop hypering lots can make things quite crazy and White Label seems to have very strict rank increases for hypering even in the first loop.
Erppo wrote:The system is also clearer than trying to figure out where exactly you should hyper in DOJ, which usually comes down to trial and error since it's extremely hard to predict what kind of an effect will the hypers have.
I agree. It's a lot harder to be sure of where it's best for scoring/your hit chain to cash in on your hypers without either a lot of experimentation or simply looking at superplay runs to get a better idea, whereas DFK is more a matter of hyper early on, then chain the rest of the stage while saving hypers to get a moment of safety if necessary. Execution is still tough because well, it's DDP chaining, but DFK's chaining doesn't require so much 'know when to hyper' I think.