Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
twotone8

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by twotone8 »

quick question. been searching around this forum, and just wanted to get a consensus. I'd like to play my ps2 as lag free as possible, but have very limited space in my apartment. would an hd box pro work for my 23 inch lcd screen, or am i better off just sucking it up and getting a crt off of craigslist. i'd rather not have one in my house, but my lg 47" flatscreen tv lags like ass, and i'm kinda sick of it. would much rather play on my computer monitor.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

May I know what's the story for Wii's RGB? Works regionally like NGC aka only for PAL? And the games depending like DC VGA/RGB cases?
mj1984

Post by mj1984 »

Anybody know where the best place to find a VGA adapter for an X68000 would be? Or the best tutorial for doing it myself?
nem

Post by nem »

So I plugged my 100V PSU in to my 220V outlet. Oops.

Already replaced the fuse, however, I also blew two of these things:

What are they called so I can find a replacement?
antron

Post by antron »

looks like a "choke coil". If the current gets to high its resistance goes through the roof to prevent damage. I guess you took it too far and it blew.
nem

Post by nem »

Thanks!
antron

Post by antron »

I think the proper name is actually Resettable Fuse.
rancor

Post by rancor »

twotone8 wrote:quick question. been searching around this forum, and just wanted to get a consensus. I'd like to play my ps2 as lag free as possible, but have very limited space in my apartment. would an hd box pro work for my 23 inch lcd screen, or am i better off just sucking it up and getting a crt off of craigslist. i'd rather not have one in my house, but my lg 47" flatscreen tv lags like ass, and i'm kinda sick of it. would much rather play on my computer monitor.

CRT is always going to be the best option, but the next best thing, and cheapest - would be to get an older XRGB (assuming your TV has VGA input) and hook it up between the console and the TV. An XRGB 2 or 2+ are good models, and can be found fairly cheaply these days. If you're only going to be running the PS2 through this unit, then the hd box pro is a fine choice. The advantage that the XRGB has is that it has RGB input, whereas I believe the hd box only has component..? Great for newer consoles, but a pain if you ever want to run anything a bit older through it.
Have you made sure that all of the processing filters are turned off on the input that your PS2 is on? I think most TVs have a "game mode" now. With that being said, games are completely unplayable on my LCD. I have an SD CRT specifically for gaming.

mj1984 wrote:Anybody know where the best place to find a VGA adapter for an X68000 would be? Or the best tutorial for doing it myself?
Sorry I can't answer this myself, but I can point you in the right direction:

robivy64 is the shmups forum Japanese PC guru. I'm sure he could tell you what you would need without even having to think about it. If you find the part is a Japanese exclusive and want me to pick one up, let me know and I'd be glad to help out.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

For a X68000 you'd simply need to get the pinout and possibly a scaler like a GBS-8220. Upscale 15kHz to 31kHz and you're good to go.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Most X68000 stuff will run in 31kHz anyways, including Human68k (the DOS-like operating system).
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ninn

Post by ninn »

composite av cable looks very good too! :wink:
ninn

Post by ninn »

post got lost :roll:
twotone8 wrote:quick question. ... I'd like to play my ps2 as lag free as possible, but have very limited space in my apartment. ... would much rather play on my computer monitor.
get a commodore monitor, or a similar monitor, that accepts rgb. get a rgb scart cable. connect them, enjoy. :idea:
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I really don't know it fy my "Aero Fighters" jamma PCB is original or a bootleg, any way to find how?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Overkill wrote:I really don't know it fy my "Aero Fighters" jamma PCB is original or a bootleg, any way to find how?
Here's a picture of an original one: http://www.crazykong.com/pcbs/A%20-%20F ... s.pcb.html

An easy way of spotting a bootleg is if it has any of the below traits:

* Lacks a notch in the JAMMA connector next to the +12V
* Lacks printed text on the PCB, like JAMMA or "Made in Japan"
* Is in a grass green color rather than a darker, mossy one, and has lots and lots of capacitors
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

trap15 wrote:Most X68000 stuff will run in 31kHz anyways, including Human68k (the DOS-like operating system).
This...Arasoi tells me he's had no problem running pretty much any game via a simple X68000 to VGA adapter (basically an old fashioned printer plug spliced into a VGA monitor adapter).

For many games that don't obviously and easily boot in 31KHz mode, here's a list with some helpful hints:
http://vintagecpu.wordpress.com/2010/12 ... 68000-vga/
(Please excuse the use of MHz in place of KHz.)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

emphatic wrote:
Overkill wrote:I really don't know it fy my "Aero Fighters" jamma PCB is original or a bootleg, any way to find how?
Here's a picture of an original one: http://www.crazykong.com/pcbs/A%20-%20F ... s.pcb.html

An easy way of spotting a bootleg is if it has any of the below traits:

* Lacks a notch in the JAMMA connector next to the +12V
* Lacks printed text on the PCB, like JAMMA or "Made in Japan"
* Is in a grass green color rather than a darker, mossy one, and has lots and lots of capacitors
Thanks, it seems i have a original one, unfortunately i connected it yesterday at night and is giving me a slighy screen problems, don't know what issue is
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

I broke the knob off on my SLG3000. Does anyone know where to get a replacement? I sent an email to Arcadeforge, but I have not received a reply yet. Thanks.

Nevermind, I got a response from Arcadeforge.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

Any thoughts on daisy chaining HDMI switches?

More specifically this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... largeimage
ryu

Post by ryu »

is it normal for an rgb modded n64 to still have a somewhat blurry picture?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

oh yes, still a blurry mess and the only system I know, on which even *I* would say RGB doesn't make a killer difference to the stock s-video signal. I even know a bunch of people who prefered s-video on the N64 due to the increased sharpness (actually edge enhancement).
ryu

Post by ryu »

interesting. guess i'll have to check out s-vid again.

edit: ok i'll stick with rgb. the colours on s-vid are really bad
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

in
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

rubbish. What exactly do you need ? What inputs does your TV have ?
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

rollin
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Get an iScan Pro. Way better than anything else in the price range. Will set you back $50-70 on ebay.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

seas
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antron

Post by antron »

Should I get Salamander Deluxe Pack on Saturn or PS1? I searched the forums, and apparently both are great, but is one better than the other?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Any thoughts on daisy chaining HDMI switches?
I can't imagine there would be any issues, a powered switch will boost the HDMI signal and if HDMI is working its working perfectly.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
antron

Post by antron »

BuckoA51 wrote: I can't imagine there would be any issues, a powered switch will boost the HDMI signal and if HDMI is working its working perfectly.
I've seen snow between a PS3 and Samsung TV with a cheap cable. I've also lost audio between an Xbox and Sony TV with a cheap cable. Otherwise they kept running. Both issues would go away if I dropped down to 1080i.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yes sorry if I wasn't clear, I'd consider that snow effect you can get as the setup not working. You can't degrade the image by using cheaper cables or anything like you can with analogue cables though.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page