Ridley Scott to direct prequel to Alien!!!!!!....

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

Re: Ridley Scott to direct prequel to Alien!!!!!!....

Post by dave4shmups »

Skykid wrote:
dave4shmups wrote: I was looking forward to this movie clarifying the origin of the Space Jockey, and the Xenomorphs, but it just sounds like a total mess that adds more confusion to the Alien franchise then anything else.
Disagree. Looking at the movies alone, there's not much story to confuse beyond people landing on strange worlds, encountering hostile Alien species and fighting for survival. That's the Alien saga in a nutshell.

Prometheus can be taken as a dark sci-fi movie that explores the origin of mankind in a 2001 'advanced beings created us' way, and as long as you accept it's purely comic book fantasy, it works well enough.

On the other hand it titillates with possibilities about the origin of the Xenomorph without blowing its load. It doesn't confuse anything despite being massively ambiguous; which is preferable anyway as it maintains a sense of mystery. I'm glad Scott didn't decide he was going to give the audience a list of bullet point explanations, and instead focussed on the space jockey links.

It's much better to be left with curiosity about what might be than to know exactly what's what. Whereas Resurrection pretty much hit a brick wall, Prometheus has given the franchise new scope for horror sci-fi exploration.
All good points. I guess I'll have to see this, then.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

But skykid, Resurrection did leave open a lot of possibilities for sequels exploring the gay relationship hinted at the end of the movie between Ron Perlman and Dominique Pinon's characters.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Actually Skykid, I think it is a far messier film than your giving it credit for. You admit that much of your impression is based on how much hollywood sucks today and the bad reviews by other people like myself. I agree that I actually did enjoy the film, but to pretend like it really makes much sense or is well thought out is giving it too much credit. Please apply your same dissecting scope you used on Inception to this film. Honestly, both films are probably equally messy, and both pretend to be smart while in fact being all smoke and mirrors. You can say that Scott is keeping the film ambiguous and is thus clever, but I think this is P.T. Barnum time with there being no real pay off other than what enjoyment you get from the general sci fi romp experience. There's no real revelation--this is sci fi going through the motions, but there's no soul nor even commitment to a particular message.

A good friend of mine summed up the film in one phrase: WTF??!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

EmperorIng wrote:But skykid, Resurrection did leave open a lot of possibilities for sequels exploring the gay relationship hinted at the end of the movie between Ron Perlman and Dominique Pinon's characters.
Lol! Actually, it left open the possibility for 'Earth War', one of the novels where earth is basically one big LV426 from Aliens, 50% marines, 50% Xenomorphs. Scott's come back, now it's Cameron's turn. I suppose a bit of gay sex wouldn't go amiss though.
CMoon wrote:Actually Skykid, I think it is a far messier film than your giving it credit for. You admit that much of your impression is based on how much hollywood sucks today and the bad reviews by other people like myself. I agree that I actually did enjoy the film, but to pretend like it really makes much sense or is well thought out is giving it too much credit. Please apply your same dissecting scope you used on Inception to this film. Honestly, both films are probably equally messy, and both pretend to be smart while in fact being all smoke and mirrors. You can say that Scott is keeping the film ambiguous and is thus clever, but I think this is P.T. Barnum time with there being no real pay off other than what enjoyment you get from the general sci fi romp experience. There's no real revelation--this is sci fi going through the motions, but there's no soul nor even commitment to a particular message.

A good friend of mine summed up the film in one phrase: WTF??!
Well, I agree with most of what you say. In-fact I'm not sure what impression I've given that makes you think we have that much discrepancy of opinion! :)

I don't know why Inception keeps being a frame of reference, but yes, I already stated they're on par and equally flawed. I disagree that Prometheus is as messy. If you were doing a didactic tally on plot holes alone, Inception wins hands down, if you're doing poor dialogue; casting and performances, Prometheus gets the proverbial razzy.

In directorial terms, Prometheus is good enough, as long as you're not expecting the world on a plate. It's plagued with irritating Hollywood problems that I honestly would have expected Scott to address, but not enough to destroy the momentum of the movie. I personally don't have that much of an issue with its ambiguity -- a point that seems to keep coming up time and time again -- but I do respect the fact that it's underwritten and not particularly clever. But again: when was Alien ever particularly clever?? :|
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

CMoon

Post by CMoon »

**spoilers**

To streamline your post: No, Alien wasn't exactly clever, but it was incredibly effective. Like Jaws, the film is near perfect because of its narrow focus. Maybe part of my problem with prometheus is its weird anti-science stance, while eschewing a potential origin scenario which makes no more sense than the moon being made of cheese. If you're willing to leave your brain at the door (I was) then the plot holes become less. Regardless, I think it is a confused film that doesn't know what direction it wants to go. Is it a horror film? Sometimes...I guess on about the level of altered states. Is it a sci fi film akin to 2001? Maybe, but with the same or less depth than the average doctor who episode (again, I like doctor who.) Is it a spiritual search for the truth film? Again, maybe, but despite desperately clinging to this message, the plot strongly contrasts this message.

What I really walked away with: Cool visual productions, awesome alien wrestling and abortion, an absurdist ending (more greek references? (Is that the head of Orpheus talking from your bag or are you just happy to see me???) Deserves an Anime or JRPG sequel.

Yeah, I think we actually do agree on this, just funny to hear your slightly-more-positive-than-usual take on it.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

CMoon wrote:**spoilers**

To streamline your post: No, Alien wasn't exactly clever, but it was incredibly effective. Like Jaws, the film is near perfect because of its narrow focus. Maybe part of my problem with prometheus is its weird anti-science stance, while eschewing a potential origin scenario which makes no more sense than the moon being made of cheese. If you're willing to leave your brain at the door (I was) then the plot holes become less. Regardless, I think it is a confused film that doesn't know what direction it wants to go. Is it a horror film? Sometimes...I guess on about the level of altered states. Is it a sci fi film akin to 2001? Maybe, but with the same or less depth than the average doctor who episode (again, I like doctor who.) Is it a spiritual search for the truth film? Again, maybe, but despite desperately clinging to this message, the plot strongly contrasts this message.

What I really walked away with: Cool visual productions, awesome alien wrestling and abortion, an absurdist ending (more greek references? (Is that the head of Orpheus talking from your bag or are you just happy to see me???) Deserves an Anime or JRPG sequel.

Yeah, I think we actually do agree on this, just funny to hear your slightly-more-positive-than-usual take on it.
I'll tell you what, reading your impressions I'm now convinced my low expectations were the defining factor in the experience. I gleaned only enough from people (while dangerously sidestepping spoilers) that this wasn't an Alien film and I shouldn't expect one; that it wasn't scary, so I shouldn't expect it to be; and that it wasn't very good.

So I went to the theatre expecting a poor Hollywood movie that embarrassed the franchise, clumsily failed in its attempts at horror, and had little to no reference to Alien at all. What I found was a sci-fi movie that was at the very least beautiful, had a fantastical plot with a decent amount of intrigue, AND had a little in the way of Alien lore to whet my appetite.

I'm quite convinced I saw the movie Scott wanted me to see, it's just a shame I had to spend so much effort avoiding hype just to be pleasantly surprised. It's hard being a movie goer these days. :(

Now your expectations are lower, I'm willing to bet you'll prefer it on second viewing.

PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

So Skykid,

Did you go see Prometheus in the Real D 3D format that Scott wanted all to see?

It's possible watch it three different ways:

Non 3D format

Real D 3D format

and lastly,

Imax or DFX larger screen format

I certainly got my bargin matinee $10.50's worth upon seeing it on 6/9/2012. A sequel will certainly tell the further adventures of Dr. Shaw & Co.

Quite something with just a little cube to do all those cool holographic display EFX.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:So Skykid,

Did you go see Prometheus in the Real D 3D format that Scott wanted all to see?
Yes, I caught the 3D showing, and I was more impressed by its use than normal. My ticket cost twice the price of yours though. :(

PC Engine Fan X!

Ah, at least I didn't swing on by the concession stand to pick up something to eat/drink as that would've been more the usual bargin matinee fare for watching a first-run 3D movie.

Anyways, that price is chmup change compared to watching the Tron Legacy flick in 3D with the D-Box motion seat upgrade and that was a whopping $18.50 right there back on December 18, 2010 debut opening day for the U.S.

Makes me wonder just how much of a cut the 20th Century Fox studio gets per theater worldwide with their films.

For the record, Prometheus did earn $50.1 million on opening weekend at the U.S. box office.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

You guys talk like you've seen it 20 times. Can you really remember all of Prometheus in that much detail from only watching it once?

I didn't find it invigorating enough to justify that much observation. So I came away from the theatre with little more than confusion and 101 questions.

I will readdress this confusion with new found knowledge and a blu ray release.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

mesh control wrote:Image
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So that Alien bursting out of the engineer at the end is the pioneer of the Alien species?!

If that is the case, then the Alien Vs Predator films make absolutely no sense as they're supposed to take place decades before these events. And who planted those eggs in that other ship in LV-426, if the Aliens species had not been created yet?!

This whole story is a mess!
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ST Dragon wrote: If that is the case, then the Alien Vs Predator films make absolutely no sense as they're supposed to take place decades before these events. And who planted those eggs in that other ship in LV-426, if the Aliens species had not been created yet?!

First of all, disregard any film written and directed by Paul W.S Anderson, and that includes AVP. It's not canon, it's not good, it may as well not exist.

Prometheus takes place 30 years prior to Alien, so in answer to your question, in the time between the end of Prometheus and the beginning of Alien, the Xenomorph spawned by the engineer would have to be a queen, and therefore be able to breed by laying eggs.

A wild guess would be the ship on LV426 is an another Engineer ship -- maybe attempting to eradicate the Xenomorph strain -- that fell foul to the creature in the process.

ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Skykid wrote:
ST Dragon wrote: If that is the case, then the Alien Vs Predator films make absolutely no sense as they're supposed to take place decades before these events. And who planted those eggs in that other ship in LV-426, if the Aliens species had not been created yet?!

First of all, disregard any film written and directed by Paul W.S Anderson, and that includes AVP. It's not canon, it's not good, it may as well not exist.

Prometheus takes place 30 years prior to Alien, so in answer to your question, in the time between the end of Prometheus and the beginning of Alien, the Xenomorph spawned by the engineer would have to be a queen, and therefore be able to breed by laying eggs.

A wild guess would be the ship on LV426 is an another Engineer ship -- maybe attempting to eradicate the Xenomorph strain -- that fell foul to the creature in the process.

So Paul Anderson is a sucky director? :mrgreen:

The Xenomorph Aliens probably did exist thousand of years before the events of the movie, as it is indirectly inclined by the wall carvings in the cave portraying a Xenomorph queen:

And that Xenomorph bursting out from the Engineer at the end of the Prometheus, is just another version of the Xenomorphs just like the dog / cow Xenomorph in Alien 3.
As this doesn't look like the typical Alien:

However I'm not sure if the hologram engineers in the caves were being chased by Xenomorphs. They were probably being chased by other infected Engineers as we see the decapitated head taken back to the spaceship was infected by the black go somehow, so he was probably chasing them and got decapitated by the door in the process.
But later on the 2 geologists find those space jockey bodies piled up and they mention that they seem to have exploded from the inside, (The head in the lab also exploded in the spaceship when they revived it), so we have more confusion as to what happened.

The story is a mess basically.

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

ST Dragon wrote:he was probably chasing them and got decapitated by the door in the process.
I might be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that the decapitation of that engineer guy was a voluntary act of suicide. He knew he was infected with the x-files oil, so he killed himself before inevitably turning into something deadly (engineer rage zombie). This theory also blends nicely with the movie's underlying theme of self-sacrifice for the greater good.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ST Dragon wrote: So Paul Anderson is a sucky director? :mrgreen:
Is that a serious question? :D

ST Dragon wrote:The Xenomorph Aliens probably did exist thousand of years before the events of the movie, as it is indirectly inclined by the wall carvings in the cave portraying a Xenomorph queen:

And that Xenomorph bursting out from the Engineer at the end of the Prometheus, is just another version of the Xenomorphs just like the dog / cow Xenomorph in Alien 3.

However I'm not sure if the hologram engineers in the caves were being chased by Xenomorphs. They were probably being chased by other infected Engineers as we see the decapitated head taken back to the spaceship was infected by the black go somehow, so he was probably chasing them and got decapitated by the door in the process.
But later on the 2 geologists find those space jockey bodies piled up and they mention that they seem to have exploded from the inside, (The head in the lab also exploded in the spaceship when they revived it), so we have more confusion as to what happened.

Yes, that's interesting. I actually completely forgot about the holograms, but I remembered the wall mural.

In that case, the impregnation of the Engineer at the end of the film is not the birth of the Xenomorph as a species, but it all hinges around what the holographic Engineer's were being chased/killed by. 'Exploded from the inside' would suggest they had all had a cup of X-Files oil with their supper, but that's not conclusive.

I agree there are a lot of unexplained things, perhaps Ridley was banking on a sequel?

Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I dont think any of the creatures in Promethues have to fit anywhere in the xenomorph family tree. The black goo is just that classic Sci-Fi trope: "technology gone mad". A substance used to alter DNA on a planetary scale that has gone out of control. It can transform anything into anything, plot permitting. Its the Bydo basically.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Skykid wrote:I agree there are a lot of unexplained things, perhaps Ridley was banking on a sequel?
Or perhaps one of the screenwriters worked on "Lost?"

And the other screenwriter worked on... an upcoming reboot of "The Mummy?"

Jesus! You know how some English Professors flippantly tell students there are only 7 stories in literature, and every novel written is just a variation on these plots? That's soon going to be literally true in Hollywood.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Skykid wrote:I agree there are a lot of unexplained things, perhaps Ridley was banking on a sequel?
Or perhaps one of the screenwriters worked on "Lost?"

And the other screenwriter worked on... an upcoming reboot of "The Mummy?"

Jesus! You know how some English Professors flippantly tell students there are only 7 stories in literature, and every novel written is just a variation on these plots? That's soon going to be literally true in Hollywood.
Yeah, well we all know Hollywood screenwriting is the worst it's ever been by a long chalk. I'm just glad they stopped giving things to Koepp to ruin after Crystal Skull.

PC Engine Fan X!

neorichieb1971 wrote:You guys talk like you've seen it 20 times. Can you really remember all of Prometheus in that much detail from only watching it once?

I didn't find it invigorating enough to justify that much observation. So I came away from the theatre with little more than confusion and 101 questions.

I will readdress this confusion with new found knowledge and a blu ray release.
Yep, just by watching it only once, can such detailed stuff be recalled. Should go see it again before it finally ends playing on the big screen here locally...I have a feeling that this week will be the last week to view it properly.

Still haven't seen any cool Prometheus action figures and whatnot. Is McFarlene Toys doing any of them this time around? (Some of the Alien creatures from the McFarlane Toys Movie Maniacs lineup in the past were quite detailed with their overall craftmanship and painting schemes, especially the Deluxe Queen Alien diorama set from the 1986 Aliens flick -- ugly bitch, indeed, with a posable bendy tail and plently of articulated joints.) There's no numbered scale for reference though but it's it great to see her full realized in the third dimension.

Yep, the 1979 Kenner produced Alien action figure still goes a pretty penny these days in brand new condition alrighty.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Problem is I don't like the film enough to want to see it multiple times. Really enjoyable single viewing nonsense; but this film isn't good enough for multiple viewings IMO. Maybe once more, but not any time soon.
SHMUP sale page.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Wow!! You would actually pay to watch this garbage?!!
Its not even worth the download from a torrent site!

Thunder Force V
RGC

Post by RGC »

Incoming popcorn enemy. Will we survive?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ok, watched this for a second time today. I refused outright, but my mate was so adamant he offered to buy the ticket if I'd see it with him, so there we go.

2nd Impressions:

Not as good on repeat viewing. The script is diabolical. Absolutely lousy. I cannot believe Scott would allow it to pass. Enough has been said about the Scottish woman, but on the whole the entire cast was poor bar Rapace, Fassbender, Theron and Guy Pearce.

Rapace's partner, the dude who's on the cusp of the greatest discovery known to mankind is a proper bellend. I noticed how much of a complete egoist he is on camera - the guy loves himself too much to bother acting. Irritating.

Captain Apone - that dude's not American is he? In fact, he's got the worst American accent since Jason Statham, terrible! How a director can let that slide is beyond me.

There are buckets of holes in the plot. Buckets.

Still good:

Atmosphere, cinematography, imagination, Alien lore, teasing ideas.

You really need to work to look past the crap, but it's still competently made enough to make it better than Resurrection, but not as good as Alien 3.

ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Skykid wrote:Ok, watched this for a second time today. I refused outright, but my mate was so adamant he offered to buy the ticket if I'd see it with him, so there we go.

2nd Impressions:

Not as good on repeat viewing. The script is diabolical. Absolutely lousy. I cannot believe Scott would allow it to pass. Enough has been said about the Scottish woman, but on the whole the entire cast was poor bar Rapace, Fassbender, Theron and Guy Pearce.

Rapace's partner, the dude who's on the cusp of the greatest discovery known to mankind is a proper bellend. I noticed how much of a complete egoist he is on camera - the guy loves himself too much to bother acting. Irritating.

Captain Apone - that dude's not American is he? In fact, he's got the worst American accent since Jason Statham, terrible! How a director can let that slide is beyond me.

There are buckets of holes in the plot. Buckets.

Still good:

Atmosphere, cinematography, imagination, Alien lore, teasing ideas.

You really need to work to look past the crap, but it's still competently made enough to make it better than Resurrection, but not as good as Alien 3.

Does he have to be? Who cares if he's American or not?

Thunder Force V
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Skykid wrote:
ST Dragon wrote: So Paul Anderson is a sucky director? :mrgreen:

ST Dragon wrote:The Xenomorph Aliens probably did exist thousand of years before the events of the movie, as it is indirectly inclined by the wall carvings in the cave portraying a Xenomorph queen:

Yes, that's interesting. I actually completely forgot about the holograms, but I remembered the wall mural.

In that case, the impregnation of the Engineer at the end of the film is not the birth of the Xenomorph as a species, but it all hinges around what the holographic Engineer's were being chased/killed by. 'Exploded from the inside' would suggest they had all had a cup of X-Files oil with their supper, but that's not conclusive.

I agree there are a lot of unexplained things, perhaps Ridley was banking on a sequel?

No, but Mortal Kombat 1 and Pandorum were cool imo! :)

Thunder Force V
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

The captain is in fact a Londoner. Is it me, or he sounded like a Londoner trying to pass as a NE US guy?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ST Dragon wrote: Does he have to be? Who cares if he's American or not?
You're missing the point. His citizenship isn't a matter of contention, it's how unbelievably poor his accent is. It was really grating on me.

Why not just leave him to speak English (yeah, he's English, I checked) if he's so crap at accents?

In retrospect, this film really isn't very good. It's got a freshness to it which is nice for the Alien franchise, and I won't begrudge it the things it does well. But from the director of Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, I would expect him to know a crap script and a duff actor when he sees one.

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Skykid wrote:But from the director of Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, I would expect him to know a crap script and a duff actor when he sees one.
Also the director of "Legend."

Another tidbit I picked up from the extras on my Blade Runner DVD was that Harrison Ford's dark performance was influenced in part by that fact that he really was miserable during the shoot. Not the least because Ridley Scott is not an "Actor's Director" like Spielberg and others Ford had worked with before, and that Scott was way more interested in visuals than Ford's character ideas.

Let's also not forget that before he started movies, Scott was a commercial director and deep down Prometheus was about the trailers. Why bring in a young actor in horrible old man makeup to play Weyland? To tie it in with the TED talk teaser trailer that featured a younger Weyland played by the same actor. When given the choice between the film standing on its own and the commercial build-up, the film suffered for the sake of the commercials.

In an age where 6 companies control over 90% of the cultural output in the US, the thinking that went into creating Prometheus is more interesting than the film itself.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Randorama wrote:The captain is in fact a Londoner. Is it me, or he sounded like a Londoner trying to pass as a NE US guy?
Sorry, missed this. And yes, he's clearly a Londoner doing his best Jason Statham American. It's embarrassing. I cringed at the point where he pronounced 'with' as 'wiv'.

:palm:

Mischief Maker wrote:Another tidbit I picked up from the extras on my Blade Runner DVD was that Harrison Ford's dark performance was influenced in part by that fact that he really was miserable during the shoot. Not the least because Ridley Scott is not an "Actor's Director" like Spielberg and others Ford had worked with before, and that Scott was way more interested in visuals than Ford's character ideas.
Yes, he's clearly an artist in the visual sense rather than the dramatic, but Prometheus still has a quality of scripting/acting that's vastly under par even for Scott. Also, you can tell Ford isn't with it in Blade Runner. He's perfect for the role, but I never considered his BR performance to be produced with much effort.

As for Weyland, I actually don't mind that aspect of the film. I thought Guy Pearce did a good job. Bar the trailer, perhaps he's planning to have Pearce reprise the role as a younger man in a follow up, which would make more sense.

Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

^So you liked this. Did you see the Thing prequel yet?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]