OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xyga

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Xyga »

BuckoA51 wrote:Here we go again with the internet obsession with integer scaling :mrgreen:
A rather sane obsession in many cases, but people expect too much, really.
I wonder how much an OSSC with all the features people have asked about would cost, not even mentioning the R&D for things that would be unique/firsts.

With what we have the only route that makes sense is to keep going through the trouble of referencing the most capable displays available on the market (compatibility w/ OSSC modes and sku's own built-in scaling quality), it's just a shame that this is one area of displays performance that's the least competently tested even by the the most serious reviewers around. We're on our own.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Xyga wrote:it's just a shame that this is one area of displays performance that's the least competently tested even by the the most serious reviewers around. We're on our own.
Oh yes.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Do we have a candidate for best monitor or best TV with the OSSC yet?

After getting an OSSC I would love to match it with the creme de la creme screen.
Anything but a Sony *Grumble Grumble* :x

To add insult to injury, my 20" Samsung displays 3x and 4x just fine.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

IIRC the 4K Sonys are fine, it's the old Full-HD that are super picky/closed to most modes.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I have an old Sony 2007 model. I haven't updated my TV in what seems like a whole generation.

When I buy a TV I want one that is 100% compatible with the OSSC. I will not buy one that isn't. I also won't buy an OSSC until the champ TV arises. So for the sake of one more sale, if someone has information on UK TV's that are best suited to the OSSC please come forward.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I have an old Sony 2007 model. I haven't updated my TV in what seems like a whole generation.

When I buy a TV I want one that is 100% compatible with the OSSC. I will not buy one that isn't. I also won't buy an OSSC until the champ TV arises. So for the sake of one more sale, if someone has information on UK TV's that are best suited to the OSSC please come forward.
I thought the LG OLEDS were considered one of the best. B6/C6 etc.

Or find yourself a PMS CII, as I've heard it will accept everything the OSSC spits out.

Otherwise I'm not sure you will find a TV that works with all modes and consoles. Does the LG work with the Neo Geo in 5x mode?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Try from MLiG has reported that the LG OLEDs work with all OSSC scaling modes, including the SNES, although he's probably focused on scaling modes for 240p, not 480p. In any event, as far as I know there hasn't been any reports about some aspect of the OSSC that didn't work on it, and their latency is quite low for a TV (21ms for the 2017 models).
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Guspaz wrote:Try from MLiG has reported that the LG OLEDs work with all OSSC scaling modes, including the SNES, although he's probably focused on scaling modes for 240p, not 480p. In any event, as far as I know there hasn't been any reports about some aspect of the OSSC that didn't work on it, and their latency is quite low for a TV (21ms for the 2017 models).
I have a 65" b6 in the bedroom. Maybe I should test it :wink: I wonder if it can handle 480p x2.

Got it from a liquidation auction. It has single pixel vertical line on the far left side of the TV. :cry: But it works good enough for the bedroom.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

So I hear the Sony W series have trouble with the OSSC. I guess that means the KDL-55W900A is affected too? That's a bummer :( This TV has super low input lag in game mode and is just overall a very nice 1080p set. I'm not quite ready to jump into 4k yet. Oh well, at least 480p should work, and this TV does a pretty nice job upscaling 480p.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Iirc, bahnyuki reported the xbox did not work in 480p x2 on his C7, while it did work for dreamcast and some other. Kinda strange.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

cyborc wrote:So I hear the Sony W series have trouble with the OSSC. I guess that means the KDL-55W900A is affected too?
Most likely.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Xyga wrote:
cyborc wrote:So I hear the Sony W series have trouble with the OSSC. I guess that means the KDL-55W900A is affected too?
Most likely.
I am expecting the worst. I won't receive the unit till October but I will be sure to report then.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

cyborc wrote:
Xyga wrote:
Most likely.
I am expecting the worst. I won't receive the unit till October but I will be sure to report then.
If you can figure out a way to get it working by tweaking the settings, please let me know.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I would also like to know which is the best 27" monitor that is compatible with the OSSC as well.

I'm really surprised this information isn't forthcoming on its own. All the information forthcoming is what doesn't work, when some of us can bypass all the nonsense by buying new equipment that we know works.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

austin532 wrote: If you can figure out a way to get it working by tweaking the settings, please let me know.
Will do. Your original post about your W series TV is what took the wind from my sails. :lol:
Pushky

Post by Pushky »

I had a Samsung only did line 2x I bought a 4K led LG tv and it accepts everything and every mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

@neorichieb1971: why are you surprised? I think we are not so many OSSC owners buying new monitors so often that we would have lots of information/experience to share for building a safe, confirmed shortlist of 'best' available monitors.

But reading around it's not hard to guess directions: most 4K monitors will take 3x, 4x, 5x. Scaling quality will be meh to average/decent. 50Hz and interlaced modes compatibility is something to check in the specs. Several IPS panels today seem sensitive to rapidly flickering objects (like seen in bob-deinterlaced mode) that leave pixel persistence burn-in marks, so VA panels are considered overall safer for now if interlaced stuff matters to you. There are fewer VA monitors though.
With those elements in hand you can focus on narrowing a number of models and focus on getting more info on them, although its not easy, not even the specialized reviews websites can afford to review most of what's released every year by the manufacturers.
27" are plenty and resemble each other a lot specs-wise, except I don't know what to think about the 1440p ones in terms of OSSC compatibility. 4K again seem more tolerant. Also 32" are slowly becoming more common/interesting.

In any case I wouldn't trust anyone stating "this is the best monitor for the OSSC", they're not TVs so the specs/performance/features etc checklist is somewhat different, longer and more complex.
With TVs at least there's always some talking about the new models like on GAF, VGP and here, plus more reviews.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

Hello world

Someone can say what's external scaler can I use for exotic output (X3,X5....) on my HDTV (Sony W6 series low lag). Note that I am looking for very low or zero lag? For example DVDO VP30 is it good? low lag? or iscan mini?

THX
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

neorichieb1971: previously you asked a lot for something that is effort free (no research/tweaking) and now you want the best. You know those two are mutually exclusive for basically anything, right?
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

BuckoA51 wrote:Here we go again with the internet obsession with integer scaling :mrgreen:
LMAO, hey Matt, I'm no expert at PR and advertising, but maybe the guy who's in charge of selling the best integer scaling device on the planet shouldn't shit on people who want intger scaling ;p
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

nonosto wrote:Hello world

Someone can say what's external scaler can I use for exotic output (X3,X5....) on my HDTV (Sony W6 series low lag). Note that I am looking for very low or zero lag? For example DVDO VP30 is it good? low lag? or iscan mini?

THX
HD+
VP20
VP30
VP50
VP50 Pro
...assuming the HD+ and VP20 work the same as the others and as far as we know, all those DVDOs will make 240p x3 and x5 work on your Sony, but not x4.
PAL multiple modes work only when forced to 320x240 optimal on the OSSC, which distorts the picture, not good unfortunately.
480p multiples don't work either I think.

For PAL and 480i contents the EDGE will work better, but in many cases there will be more lag (~25ms instead of ~6ms) but I think you're aware of it since you've owned one in the past IIRC.

Adding a DVDO to your setup to make the OSSC work is frustrating and expensive, so one thing to consider for the future is getting a 4K TV, since those have typically better compatibility with the OSSC's multiple modes.
Some entry-level 4K similar to the old W series have been announced and in the middle of being released: http://www.sony.fr/electronics/televise ... 000-series
Here is a review of the American 43" model: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x720e
Nothing fancy, they're very similar to the old W6/W7/W8 middle range series, with just about 19ms of lag, but the prices should be relatively contained and make good replacements for the old W if the compatibility withe the OSSC is good, but that is something we won't know unless one of us has effectively tested that new XE7000/X720E series with it.
superboredom

Post by superboredom »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any particular Dreamcast VGA cable/box recommendations to pair with the OSSC. I'm waiting on a 1.6 to arrive and I've already got a generic VGA cable that I got from China from a few years back (from before the availability of cheap cables on Amazon). Not sure if it's worth grabbing something like the Hanzo/Toro, and I'm curious as to what others are using.

Thanks!
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

superboredom wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any particular Dreamcast VGA cable/box recommendations to pair with the OSSC. I'm waiting on a 1.6 to arrive and I've already got a generic VGA cable that I got from China from a few years back (from before the availability of cheap cables on Amazon). Not sure if it's worth grabbing something like the Hanzo/Toro, and I'm curious as to what others are using.

Thanks!
I have a Hanzo, seems to work well with mine. I'm waiting on the new OSSC though to make the audio hookup more streamlined, but visually it's good.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

retrorgb wrote:
LMAO, hey Matt, I'm no expert at PR and advertising, but maybe the guy who's in charge of selling the best integer scaling device on the planet shouldn't shit on people who want intger scaling ;p
I was thinking the exact same thing.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

superboredom wrote:Hello,

Thanks!
I've got a Toro unit from the BeharBros - works fantastic with the OSSC.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

superboredom wrote:Not sure if it's worth grabbing something like the Hanzo/Toro, and I'm curious as to what others are using.
There used to be a seller from Poland on eBay that offered good quality vga cables (with optional scanlines/switch trick) for very reasonable prices, but he doesn't seem to be selling them anymore. So there are not many quality solutions outside of Beharbros vga boxes nowadays. IIRC they don't play well with the gscartsw though - I don't remember the details.

The HD retrovision guys are working on a component cable for the DC, but it's still early in the development phase.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

ZellSF wrote:neorichieb1971: previously you asked a lot for something that is effort free (no research/tweaking) and now you want the best. You know those two are mutually exclusive for basically anything, right?
I don't invest in experimentation projects. If I buy something that says it does xyz on the tin, I expect it to do xyz when I plug it in. To be honest I don't even what half of this thread is talking about and that worries me. All I know is that I want to play some old games on a big flat screen TV or monitor and this product is supposed to help do that.

I believe my Dell monitor is already compatible with all modes. So if worst comes to worst I have that. I'll probably go with the 1440p Dell 27" if I want something bigger. Somebody already said that works with everything. But if this was my product, I'd definitely have a top 3 compatibility for size/tv/monitor etc. I'm in no hurry, I ain't getting a gaming room until at least another 12 months time so you can iron out the kinks (hopefully) by then.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

If you already have a Toro and have it set to 480p over scart, is there any real significant difference while using VGA?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

neorichieb1971 wrote:But if this was my product, I'd definitely have a top 3 compatibility for size/tv/monitor etc.
How? It changes on a yearly basis (if not more often) and differs by region. How much resources do you think marqs has to test all that? Not only for OSSC compatibility, but also what are the "best" displays, something even professional display reviewers are struggling with?

I'm sure it's not a problem to give you the name of a 27" display that works, but if you want the best, you are asking for too much. Especially if you're asking now for what you're supposed to buy in 12 months. The best probably has changed by then and anything we recommend, besides no longer being the best, might have gone out of production.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I don't invest in experimentation projects.
Yet this is one. The OSSC is obviously not the right product for you.