M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Redfox

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Redfox »

jehu wrote:... But, from a hardware perspective, it seems to make sense. They've done Fire Shark, so both Zero Wing and Hellfire - all sharing a common underlying architecture - shouldn't require a ton of new technical investment.
Exactly! And that's the reason why I went with those two.

We'll see. And I bet whenever they do Batsugun it'll be on its own with the original arcade and the Special Version as main offerings with the Saturn version as the DLC. That game is so pivotal from a historical standpoint I see M2 doing it alone like what they were doing with the Cave releases earlier.

I can see Vimana with Twin Hawk or Vimana with Dogyuun hmmmm............I love Dogyuun the most of all the games they have, I hope it comes out however they choose to package it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I know this sounds silly, but I hope ALCON will be included when M2 does Slap Fight. Not a dealbreaker if it isn't, but that version was my first experience with the game.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

BrianC wrote:I know this sounds silly, but I hope ALCON will be included when M2 does Slap Fight. Not a dealbreaker if it isn't, but that version was my first experience with the game.
Any differences besides the title screen?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Been playing a bit of Get Star/Guardian lately, to get it out of my system before focusing on Wardner and the Sharks ;)

A couple questions:

1) I get into the second loop and eventually give up (generally at the enemy base in loop 2). I assume the game loops continuously (please correct me if that isn't the case!), but what's up with no Night/Spider level in loop 2? Does it show up in any future loops? Do loops 3+ just continue to repeat the same loop 2 order of Ice-Forest-Desert-City-Base?

2) Similar to that Alcon question... are there any significant differences between the regional variants besides the title screen?
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote:Been playing a bit of Get Star/Guardian lately, to get it out of my system before focusing on Wardner and the Sharks ;)

A couple questions:

1) I get into the second loop and eventually give up (generally at the enemy base in loop 2). I assume the game loops continuously (please correct me if that isn't the case!), but what's up with no Night/Spider level in loop 2? Does it show up in any future loops? Do loops 3+ just continue to repeat the same loop 2 order of Ice-Forest-Desert-City-Base?

2) Similar to that Alcon question... are there any significant differences between the regional variants besides the title screen?
I can answer one of these: Guardian is more difficult than Get Star is.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Like, way harder. The first boss is trivial in Get Star because you can just punch his projectiles aside but it's far more difficult in Guardian. Also, the health system is much nastier, you start with less health by default in Guardian if I recall.

The loops are nasty, they essentially up the difficulty by one, same as if you toggled the dip switch to the next setting. In Get Star, this means you take 1 more bar of damage from everything. In Guardian however, you start with less health and I think extra damage applies?

Guardian's way, way harder. Get Star's not too tough to 1CC but partly because it's a very short game to 1 loop clear.
Steven

Post by Steven »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Like, way harder. The first boss is trivial in Get Star because you can just punch his projectiles aside but it's far more difficult in Guardian. Also, the health system is much nastier, you start with less health by default in Guardian if I recall.

The loops are nasty, they essentially up the difficulty by one, same as if you toggled the dip switch to the next setting. In Get Star, this means you take 1 more bar of damage from everything. In Guardian however, you start with less health and I think extra damage applies?

Guardian's way, way harder. Get Star's not too tough to 1CC but partly because it's a very short game to 1 loop clear.
Yeah, Guardian is way harder than Get Star is. You do start with less health in Guardian and everything also seems to do more damage.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
BrianC wrote:I know this sounds silly, but I hope ALCON will be included when M2 does Slap Fight. Not a dealbreaker if it isn't, but that version was my first experience with the game.
Any differences besides the title screen?
I'm not sure. I actually played it at a dentist's office (no joke, they had a couple arcade machines on freeplay).
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just found Uemura's band's new version of the Zero Wing stage 2 BGM and it makes me really want them to do arranged versions of soundtracks for these collections even more now.

https://youtu.be/X1wpqKazoWM

Arranging, recording, and mastering everything is a lot of hard work, and then M2 has to implement it all, but it would be really great to have something like this. As much as I want it to happen, I already know it probably won't. I did discover that Tatsujin Ou has a stereo soundtrack, so hopefully that gets implemented whenever they release that game.

I hate to double post, so I'll just edit this one. I've been doing some reading today and it seems that Jongou and Jongkyo are apparently bootlegs of someone else's game that Toaplan made. Source: https://www.gamengai.com/#/cmnt-info?id=2332&p=2

Probably not going to see those two get rereleased.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Steven wrote:I just found Uemura's band's new version of the Zero Wing stage 2 BGM and it makes me really want them to do arranged versions of soundtracks for these collections even more now.
Perhaps once we start getting to the games that have fewer console ports, arranged soundtracks could be a way to give some added value.

Tiger collection was a bit of a tease too. Despite having no arranged versions of in-game music, they did go through the trouble of including two arrange tracks as menu music (both by chibi-tech, the Tiger Heli music for the intro menu and the KyuTiger stage 1/6 BGM for the Arcade Challenge menu). And the music information gadget showing "BGM SET: ARCADE SOUND" only makes me wish there were others.
I hate to double post, so I'll just edit this one. I've been doing some reading today and it seems that Jongou and Jongkyo are apparently bootlegs of someone else's game that Toaplan made. Source: https://www.gamengai.com/#/cmnt-info?id=2332&p=2

Probably not going to see those two get rereleased.
Great interview, thanks for linking that! I looked a little bit for info on the Jong games and didn't find much, but got the sense they weren't quite what we'd think of as core Toaplan games. Uemura saying they aren't considered part of the Toaplan lineup seems to pretty much provide the answer.
Steven wrote:Yeah, Guardian is way harder than Get Star is. You do start with less health in Guardian and everything also seems to do more damage
Heh, I probably should have picked up on this. I don't know that I ever played them back to back, and I've stuck mostly to Get Star (and really hadn't played either one prior to the M2 release). Definitely makes sense though - I thought I was just having a bad night the last time I fired up Guardian and the enemy base stage was just mauling me.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I was fortunate enough to have an ALCON pcb some years ago. Really loved the game and I’d love to play it again, so I share your hope.
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote:
Steven wrote:I just found Uemura's band's new version of the Zero Wing stage 2 BGM and it makes me really want them to do arranged versions of soundtracks for these collections even more now.
Perhaps once we start getting to the games that have fewer console ports, arranged soundtracks could be a way to give some added value.

Tiger collection was a bit of a tease too. Despite having no arranged versions of in-game music, they did go through the trouble of including two arrange tracks as menu music (both by chibi-tech, the Tiger Heli music for the intro menu and the KyuTiger stage 1/6 BGM for the Arcade Challenge menu). And the music information gadget showing "BGM SET: ARCADE SOUND" only makes me wish there were others.
That gadget is what made me go look around in the menu for arranged soundtracks. I saw it there and I figured there would be some sort of arranged OST, but nope. I ordered U-Brand's CD yesterday from City Connection along with the Tatsujin+Tatsujin Ou OST and the Slap Fight+Get Star+Tiger-Heli+Kyuukyoku Tiger OST. I still can't believe I forgot to get the Hellfire+Zero Wing OST...

I'm looking forward to hearing the stereo Tatsujin Ou OST, and I really hope it gets included in the eventual Tatsujin Ou release, as apparently the stereo soundtrack is actually in the arcade release's code but goes unused or something like that. I'm also curious to see how the U-Brand arrange versions are, as well.
Great interview, thanks for linking that! I looked a little bit for info on the Jong games and didn't find much, but got the sense they weren't quite what we'd think of as core Toaplan games. Uemura saying they aren't considered part of the Toaplan lineup seems to pretty much provide the answer.
Yeah, they are basically illegal ROM hacks that Toaplan made, so there is basically no chance for them to ever get a rerelease. There is some interesting stuff in that interview. I didn't know that he did the music for PC Engine Zero Wing or that he moved over to CAVE for a while. I guess he left CAVE and was a truck driver for 10 years before joining Tatsujin earlier this year.

It seems there is a lot of stuff he did that he wants to remain secret, as well. He did mostly disappear after working on Battle Bakraid, which is something I've been wondering about for a while. How does a dude go from making some of the most influential games in the genre to just completely disappearing while still being in his 40s? He did it somehow. I'd like to see Tatsujin make some original games, and I'm surprised they've basically done nothing.
Heh, I probably should have picked up on this. I don't know that I ever played them back to back, and I've stuck mostly to Get Star (and really hadn't played either one prior to the M2 release). Definitely makes sense though - I thought I was just having a bad night the last time I fired up Guardian and the enemy base stage was just mauling me.
Guardian is a lot harder than Get Star is. Get Star's first boss can't even hurt you directly, but in Guardian it kills you in 2 hits.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I got my Toaplan OSTs today. Now more than ever I want arranged soundtracks for these releases. Fire Shark Distortion!!! on vol. 11 is fucking amazing. It was worth buying the CD just for that one track. The Tatsujin Ou stereo soundtrack is really good, as well, but it sounds really weird after hearing the mono version so many times. I do hope M2 includes it as an option.

Anyway, only 6 days left until release. My boss came up to me the other day and he was like "dude you've been here for like 3 years and you've literally never taken leave! Take leave!" and I was like "okay", so maybe I'll take a few days off next week to play Same! Same! Same!, as I'm really looking forward to that game a lot.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Steven wrote:I got my Toaplan OSTs today. Now more than ever I want arranged soundtracks for these releases. Fire Shark Distortion!!! on vol. 11 is fucking amazing. It was worth buying the CD just for that one track. The Tatsujin Ou stereo soundtrack is really good, as well, but it sounds really weird after hearing the mono version so many times. I do hope M2 includes it as an option.

Anyway, only 6 days left until release. My boss came up to me the other day and he was like "dude you've been here for like 3 years and you've literally never taken leave! Take leave!" and I was like "okay", so maybe I'll take a few days off next week to play Same! Same! Same!, as I'm really looking forward to that game a lot.
Hahaha. I don't have a problem taking leave. I've taken a few days off over the years due to certain games I mean being sick. Yea, being sick.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Gamer707b wrote:
Steven wrote:I got my Toaplan OSTs today. Now more than ever I want arranged soundtracks for these releases. Fire Shark Distortion!!! on vol. 11 is fucking amazing. It was worth buying the CD just for that one track. The Tatsujin Ou stereo soundtrack is really good, as well, but it sounds really weird after hearing the mono version so many times. I do hope M2 includes it as an option.

Hahaha. I don't have a problem taking leave. I've taken a few days off over the years due to certain games I mean being sick. Yea, being sick.
Turns out that the 29th is actually a holiday anyway, so I'll get the day off whether I like it or not.
Steven

Post by Steven »

https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1518896473597001728

Next live stream is on the 28th at 1900. Hopefully it will be better than their last stream, which was completely ruined by the framerate being at somewhere around 1 frame per 5 seconds.
jehu

Post by jehu »

GRAB YOUR PILOTS' LICENSE, SHE'S OUT IN THE JPN STORE!

hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Grabbed the PSN version and give it a quick spin, can't wait to play more.

A couple quick notes:
Arrange music takes the exact same approach as the Tiger collection - there are two arrange tracks that play as menu music only (not usable during gameplay), Hishou Zame st1 for the starting menu, Same!Same!Same! st1 for the Arcade Challenge menu (or maybe I got that backwards, not in front of the game at the moment). Credits show chibi-tech as the composer, same as the Tiger collection; perhaps she's on board as the go-to arranger for the series. Too bad they aren't doing full arrange soundtracks for these games with the ability to actually use it during gameplay, but I understand.

I had no experience with FDS Wardner prior to today. Fired that up and although the graphics are not great, it controls quite well (feels more fluid and responsive than the arcade version, TBH) and the music is surprisingly excellent. It's too bad they couldn't get the MD/Genesis ports, or the unreleased but apparently completed PCE-CD port. I'm looking forward to playing both versions though, the arcade and FDS versions feel quite distinct so it will be fun to get more familiar with each one.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

jehu wrote:GRAB YOUR PILOTS' LICENSE, SHE'S OUT IN THE JPN STORE!

Is that a promo from the NES version where they swapped out the biplane for a monoplane? Otherwise what looks like a Curtiss tomahawk makes absolutely no sense :lol:

Play Asia reported it in stock this morning so I got ordering, genuinely so excited for this!
velo

Post by velo »

hamfighterx wrote:t's too bad they couldn't get the MD/Genesis ports, or the unreleased but apparently completed PCE-CD port.
Are there any other home ports that aren't likely to make the cut in future installments? I had my heart set on PCE-CD Horror Story.
jehu

Post by jehu »

velo wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:t's too bad they couldn't get the MD/Genesis ports, or the unreleased but apparently completed PCE-CD port.
Are there any other home ports that aren't likely to make the cut in future installments? I had my heart set on PCE-CD Horror Story.
The Wardner MD port didn't make it presumably because of Visco's stubbornness with their IPs. They're the sole holdouts on NeoGeo Arcade Archives, for example. Since Horror Story CD doesn't involve them, there's at least a decent chance it'll be there.

Adoring Hishouzame. Such a lovely back-to-basics, move-n'-shoot feel.

I'd been playing the X68000 version for awhile on mister, and it's nice to have the arcade game without the Kaneko port's jank and with the extra TATE breathing room.
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

You still can not set your autofire rate below 10hz, and you can not set the item table placement in Sam3 Arcade Challenge. Really the only issues I have with this port though.

also japan still hasn't woken up i guess so the leaderboard looks like this right now
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gratz Image
Steven

Post by Steven »

ZPScissors wrote:also japan still hasn't woken up i guess so the leaderboard looks like this right now
I imagine most of us are still waiting for it to come in the mail. My copies are out for delivery now.

Doorbell rings "OH SHIT IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!"

lol nope, it's stuff from SNK instead. I hope I don't have to wait too much longer. Couldn't sleep last night from the excitement and woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep, so...
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I haven’t yet received confirmation from Play-Asia that the game has shipped. Did anyone else?
UD2

Post by UD2 »

Apologies if this has already been asked, I couldn't find it in the thread. Do the Teki Paki codes work on a US eShop account?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

jehu wrote:Image
Now I want the bomb to be a giant angry pilot head.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Is that a promo from the NES version where they swapped out the biplane for a monoplane?
Well spotted, and yes, you can see this is the NES manual art - look at the top right corner.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Also used in the print ads of the day, featuring the badass and arcade-phoristic tagline NOBODY EVER SAID IT WOULD BE EASY :cool:

EDIT: oh yeah, there's this too!

WAR IS NOT EASY
Spoiler

Just fired up, goddamn, that soldiering dual-lead menu arrange of "Against The Attack." :shock: Gorgeous.

Man, it only really hit me after starting up Hishouzame, how damn long it's been without a definitive home release of this game! Certainly turned out alright in the end.

No refuge from dreaded Same1P now, haha. What a treat this gen has been for reference-standard home STG (and AC in general) releases.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Jeneki wrote:
jehu wrote:Image
Now I want the bomb to be a giant angry pilot head.
This is a genuinely great idea.