Shikigami no Shiro III

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

Fuck!
I got the US Version and Freeloader for my PAL Wii.
It runs, but right after the boot everything on the screen becomes red color.

Someone an idea how i can handle this problem?

EDIT: I have to use the original Video-cable and no RGB Cable
Last edited by Ridley on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

I got this, and it's pretty great. I wish I could flip the t.v. it's playing on, though. I'll need to get that and the controller sorted before I can delve more deeply into scoring.

spelling...
Last edited by Zebra Airforce on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Zebra Airforce wrote:I got this, and it's pretty great. I wish I oculd flip the t.v. it's playing on, though. I'll need to get that and the controller sorted before I can delve more deeply into scoring.
Playing on the Wii? The classic controller and Hori stick both worked fine, iirc. To be honest, I've only spent a few minutes with the Wii version because I have it for PC and 360 as well. (Yes, I know, that's pretty consumptive of me, but my sig is no lie.)

If you're playing with the 360, then you pretty much need to get a Hori stick or something similar. The 360 dpad is pretty much worthless for shmups-- just to state what is totally obvious.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Actually, I prefer the d-pad on the wiimote to the classic one, so far. The d-pad is too loose for me, and I'm used to a really tight d-pad. The L and R buttons are wonky as well, making my preferred pad configuration difficult. Ah well, I'll get everything set up in due time.

Tell me, Ganson, how do you feel about the changes to the scoring system?
professor ganson

Zebra Airforce wrote:Actually, I prefer the d-pad on the wiimote to the classic one, so far. The d-pad is too loose for me, and I'm used to a really tight d-pad. The L and R buttons are wonky as well, making my preferred pad configuration difficult. Ah well, I'll get everything set up in due time.

Tell me, Ganson, how do you feel about the changes to the scoring system?
Very interesting post. Now that I think about it, I think I've only tried Shiki 3 on the Wii with the stick. Now I'm interested to see whether I'll find the classic controller dpad too loose-- I haven't used it for anything since I bought the Hori stick.

Changes to the scoring system are entirely news to me. Very interesting. I will have to investigate that.
Last edited by professor ganson on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Well, I mean the high tension max system. Have you read Icarus' review? Basically, he talks about how suiciding for more bombs can be a huge boost to your score. It sounds compelling, though it seems strange to have that without any rank systems in place.
professor ganson

Zebra Airforce wrote:Well, I mean the high tension max system. Have you read Icarus' review? Basically, he talks about how suiciding for more bombs can be a huge boost to your score. It sounds compelling, though it seems strange to have that without any rank systems in place.
Oh sorry, I thought you meant that they changed the score system *just for the Wii*. That would have been very odd. As for the high tension max system, I haven't given it too much thought, really, because I've really been too distracted by just trying to survive the first two levels. This game is pretty tough. Maybe by next year I'll have an opinion on it.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Asherdude wrote:
MR_Soren wrote:
Asherdude wrote:I just noticed that it runs in 480i on the Wii. You guys think that Aksys is giving the "finger" to Microsoft's & Sony's graphical standards?

Is that a typo, or are you saying the game lacks 480p support?
It lacks 480p support. It does run in 16:9, but when it starts up, the screen flashes and when it comes back on, it's only half as bright as when it was on the Wii menu. And when I click "INFO" on my remote, it tells me that it's running in 480i. I currently have 2 other games that do that. Metal Slug Anthology and King of Fighters '94.

My Wii is hooked up to a 26" widescreen Samsung LCD HDTV via Nintendo's own component cables. I can play SSBB, Mario Galaxies, Geomentry Wars, and even Lords of Thunder in 480p. Those 3 games are the only ones that I've found that will disable the 480p setting.
Not sure what's up with your set-up but the game runs in 480p for me on my Aquos. It's not my tv upscaling either, because Kororinpa runs in 480i.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
jp

Post by jp »

I just snagged this for the 360 from play-asia.

Wasn't really a fan of Shikigami no Shiro 2 on the Dreamcast, but then again, back when I played that it was before I ever started using TATE, so that could have a lot to do with it.

So eh, we shall see. Looking forward to trying it out! :)
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Gamestop is now selling the USA region Castle of Shikigami 3 for a mere $19.99 USD. Better grab a copy before they're all gone at that budget pricing. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MathU

Post by MathU »

Iapetus wrote:Question: Any known differences between director's cut and Arcade? If there is a thread that already goes over this or it is explained in this thread, ignore me.
I would very much like to know this too already.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
gabe

Post by gabe »

MathU wrote:
Iapetus wrote:Question: Any known differences between director's cut and Arcade? If there is a thread that already goes over this or it is explained in this thread, ignore me.
I would very much like to know this too already.
As would I...
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

aany news of this one commin out for the NTSC-U 360?... i ahve it for PC, but since i havent upgraded it yet, it doesnt run at full speed...
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Kaspal wrote:aany news of this one commin out for the NTSC-U 360?... i ahve it for PC, but since i havent upgraded it yet, it doesnt run at full speed...
Aksys confirmed that it's not getting a U/C 360 release.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Kiken wrote:
Kaspal wrote:aany news of this one commin out for the NTSC-U 360?... i ahve it for PC, but since i havent upgraded it yet, it doesnt run at full speed...
oh well... at least i have the PC Version... so its not like im gonna miss it... but i sure would like to get the best outta that game... but with my current machine, i cant.

screw M$ and their policy of region lockin certain games.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Kaspal wrote:
Kiken wrote:
oh well... at least i have the PC Version... so its not like im gonna miss it... but i sure would like to get the best outta that game... but with my current machine, i cant.

screw M$ and their policy of region lockin certain games.
It's not Microsoft. It's the game's publisher themselves making the choice to region lock.

If you have a Wii, it's a really solid port. Runs in 480p and you can find it for $20 new.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

i dont dislike the wii... but its pretty darn expensive around ehre (about 420 USD), so i dont think im buyin one anytme soon... too bad the publisher opted for region lockin the game, i really bet it looks gorgeous on the X360.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Kaspal wrote:i dont dislike the wii... but its pretty darn expensive around ehre (about 420 USD), so i dont think im buyin one anytme soon... too bad the publisher opted for region lockin the game, i really bet it looks gorgeous on the X360.
I'm pretty sure that the 360 version is running in native 480p and is simply getting upscaled/stretched to higher resolutions. The PC version defaults to 480p but can be set to much higher resolutions (which I'm pretty sure are being redrawn). So I would think that the PC version has the possibility of being the best looking version (assuming you have a powerful graphics card).

The only thing I don't like about the 360 rev is that it doesn't have a built in X-axis/Y-axis adjust (only screen scale). On my tate'd SDTV (running through S-Video), the image defaults toward the left (well, bottom) of the screen. I scaled it up 2 notches so that the bottom edge of the screen meets the left edge of the TV, but there's still a black bar at the top and a little bit on the sides (I'm not about to mess with my TV's master menu since practically every game I run on it displays differently).
MathU

Post by MathU »

All right, I might have gotten an answer finally:
Blackgb from GameFAQs wrote:ARCADE/DIRECTOR mode: preserves or prevents possible arcade glitches and/or exploitative "safe" play patterns, as well as "impossible" gaps, but doesn't effect slowdown (a novelty for arcade veterans or obsessive pattern mappers).
Blackgb from GameFAQs also wrote:According to a few Japanese sites: the glitches in the arcade version included a bug which screwed up the speeds of certain playable characters. This is corrected in DIRECTOR'S mode. In addition, Shikigami no Shiro is supposed to depend more on reflexes than pattern memorization that sometimes exists in some other manic shooters. So the DIRECTOR'S mode contains very slightly altered enemy firing patterns, so its not so much about memorizing a proper "path" through the bullets but about frantically moving to emerging openings which would always be available, though constantly shifting. Most people don't notice the differences, though. And I don't know what activates the speed bug, though I did once notice Ko's speed shift, as occurs with his Shikigami activation, becoming erratic.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Hi I'm just about to start a mini competition with my friends on this game and I noticed that no matter how hard I try I could never break into the hi score in the high score thread and my x8 action is nowhere near those listed.

May I know how do you guys do that? And I see some tube superplay videos there's a bar on top of the character's score. What's that? How to pull that off?

Oh forgot to mention I'm playing the 360 version, shouldn't have any discrepancies with the Wii counterpart right? Hope this would be a fair competition with my friends. Thanks.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Wow, I never knew this.

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/001770.html

Time Gal from the Sega CD game and Time Gal Reika are the same person.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Re:

Post by Thunder Force »

A small interesting historical footnote from Aksys about why this was ultimately Wii-exclusive in the US...
heavenscent @ aksysgames wrote:We tried really, really hard to get CoS3 to the U.S. for the 360 (especially since it was superior to the Wii version), but we just couldn't get past the red tape. We also tried for a LIVE version, but it unfortunately met the same fate. =\
Kind of have to read between the lines there. But at least we can understand the intention for multiplatform localization was there, fwiw.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Demetori

Re: Shikigami no Shiro III

Post by Demetori »

What the hell is wrong with this game? Or rather, me.
I'd heard about the Shikigami no Shiro series before, how could I not?

This game has sucked me in to some seemingly never-ending fun box...
I'm still learning it, but I started it up and haven't stopped.

I think I've never had more fun in boss fights. The mechanics in the game aren't too difficult to pick up and they are all very unique.
The girl with the swords you can spin is by far my favorite so far, even so I've been getting my higher scores with that little boy with the black hat, since his bullets auto-target. The graphics are so smooth and this game runs nicely on my laptop. If anyone was wondering, I borrowed this from a friend.

I've been playing this in Normal Mode / Arcade, assuming this is default from the PCB.
I was wondering, are there any unlockable character? And what's the deal with this other modes?
BGM Mode, Demo Mode, all these strange ones.. And the difference between Arcade & Director modes.

I tried to find a resource or wiki site but couldn't.
Regardless, this game has me hooked...
Google Translate tells me that Unlimited Mode "is for people who like festivals."
MathU

Post by MathU »

If you're wondering about Director's mode and Arcade, I wrote this a while back.
MathU wrote:
All right, I might have gotten an answer finally:
Blackgb from GameFAQs wrote:ARCADE/DIRECTOR mode: preserves or prevents possible arcade glitches and/or exploitative "safe" play patterns, as well as "impossible" gaps, but doesn't effect slowdown (a novelty for arcade veterans or obsessive pattern mappers).
Blackgb from GameFAQs also wrote:According to a few Japanese sites: the glitches in the arcade version included a bug which screwed up the speeds of certain playable characters. This is corrected in DIRECTOR'S mode. In addition, Shikigami no Shiro is supposed to depend more on reflexes than pattern memorization that sometimes exists in some other manic shooters. So the DIRECTOR'S mode contains very slightly altered enemy firing patterns, so its not so much about memorizing a proper "path" through the bullets but about frantically moving to emerging openings which would always be available, though constantly shifting. Most people don't notice the differences, though. And I don't know what activates the speed bug, though I did once notice Ko's speed shift, as occurs with his Shikigami activation, becoming erratic.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Demetori wrote:What the hell is wrong with this game? Or rather, me.

I think I've never had more fun in boss fights. The mechanics in the game aren't too difficult to pick up and they are all very unique.
The girl with the swords you can spin is by far my favorite so far, even so I've been getting my higher scores with that little boy with the black hat, since his bullets auto-target. The graphics are so smooth and this game runs nicely on my laptop. If anyone was wondering, I borrowed this from a friend.

I've been playing this in Normal Mode / Arcade, assuming this is default from the PCB.
I was wondering, are there any unlockable character? And what's the deal with this other modes?
BGM Mode, Demo Mode, all these strange ones.. And the difference between Arcade & Director modes.

http://shikigaminoshiro.wikia.com

http://hardcoregaming101.net/shikigami/shikigami.htm

There are no unlockable characters, besides Munchausen, who was an unlockable in the PC version of Shikigami III. He's automatically available on the US Wii release.

Also, play the Wii version. The dubbing is phenomenal.
Demetori

Post by Demetori »

How do I unlock Munchausen?
Google Translate tells me that Unlimited Mode "is for people who like festivals."
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Beat the game with everyone else, I think.

Or buy the Wii version. :P
professor ganson

Demetori wrote:What the hell is wrong with this game? Or rather, me.

Love your enthusiasm, Demetori. Really nice post.
third_strike

Re:

Post by third_strike »

gundamalpha wrote:Hi I'm just about to start a mini competition with my friends on this game and I noticed that no matter how hard I try I could never break into the hi score in the high score thread and my x8 action is nowhere near those listed.

May I know how do you guys do that? And I see some tube superplay videos there's a bar on top of the character's score. What's that? How to pull that off?

Oh forgot to mention I'm playing the 360 version, shouldn't have any discrepancies with the Wii counterpart right? Hope this would be a fair competition with my friends. Thanks.
1 year later reply:
I did o replay to this game any time ago, was not great thing but I guess it would can help: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4YTS1U5R
defected78

Post by defected78 »

what ever happend to the pal wii version of this.