STGT2k7- Week#2 Viper Phase 1

Rob

Post by Rob »

Where is this "constant complaining" this week, anyways? Especially that which could be lumped in with bad sportsmanship. I completely missed it.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I think its pretty apparent who the complainers are with me quoting them. Anyway, I wasn't lumping bad-sportsmanship with complaining, just thinking out loud about a way to stop the bitching.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Yeah this one isn't as funny. I just wanted you to know I care. I love you guys!
That is Galactic Dancing
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

f'ing awsome! :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Dave_K. wrote:bitching.
Repeated use more annoying than making comments about games.

Shared frustration was the one uniting factor of STGT 06. Something everyone could agree on: Blazing Star sucks.
szycag

Post by szycag »

I think Rob's got the right idea. Our hatred for unforgiving and tacked on scoring systems is what brings us together. We endured a whole week of this game, and it made us stronger as a family. A family of pretty pretty ladies.
That is Galactic Dancing
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

szycag wrote:I think Rob's got the right idea. Our hatred for unforgiving and tacked on scoring systems is what brings us together. We endured a whole week of this game, and it made us stronger as a family. A family of pretty pretty ladies.
Christ, a forum full of traps.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Dave_K. wrote:I think its pretty apparent who the complainers are with me quoting them. Anyway, I wasn't lumping bad-sportsmanship with complaining, just thinking out loud about a way to stop the bitching.
I think its pretty apparent who the complainers are with me quoting them.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Rob

Post by Rob »

szycag wrote:A family of pretty pretty ladies.
I wish I was prettier. :?
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Rob wrote:Shared frustration was the one uniting factor of STGT 06. Something everyone could agree on: Blazing Star sucks.
I liked that game, despite a few annoying aspects (namely, the "enemies and bullets blinking out of existence... but they're still there" stuff).

Anyway, I enjoyed this week. VP1 is a nice mix of the more complicated scoring set ups that so many seem to love, and the more simplistic "kill things to get score" scenario of the older shmups. Finally getting to spend some real time with this game was fun :)
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

There's nothing complicated about scoring in VP1 at all.

Getting a green plane to not fly past you and point blank you, now that's complicated.
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Try playing RFJ with the Judge Spear/JS Slave right after a credit of VP1.
Hilarity ensues.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The Coop wrote: I liked that game,
Now try it again.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Icarus wrote:Try playing RFJ with the Judge Spear/JS Slave right after a credit of VP1.
Hilarity ensues.
I actually play better on average

though that's because I have each ship's speed hardcoded into my brain
unban shw
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Rob wrote:
Now try it again.
I've played it again since that tournament ended. It's not my favorite shmup or anything, but I still enjoy playing it... more so actually when the competition isn't involved.

Twiddle wrote:There's nothing complicated about scoring in VP1 at all.

Getting a green plane to not fly past you and point blank you, now that's complicated.
Oh I agree there isn't. But it certainly has more scoring mechanics than Raiden or LifeForce. The shot down percentage, medal pods, and such made it a bit broader for scoring, while not going into multipliers, chains, bullet grazing and the like. As I said, I thought it struck a nice balance.

Oddly enough, it wasn't the green planes that got me. It was the stuff that would come on screen, stop, and then dart right back off the way it came.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Oh, that ship flying right past going "ha haw!!!" after you died? 500,000 points lost right there.

The potential point loss that results is almost as bad as breaking your chain in Dodonpachi.
unban shw
Davey

Post by Davey »

DJ Incompetent wrote:This forum is so split on what it likes, bitching is just inevitable.
QFT. On any given week, there's actually quite a good chance that the winning game is one you won't like. I don't think it's unreasonable to bitch and moan after forcing yourself to play a game you hate for the better part of a week solely for competition's sake. I'm kinda surprised I even signed up this year; apparently my subconscious has done a pretty good job of suppressing memories of last year's crappier weeks.

I can't help but to think that uninformed voting is a big reason behind this. I'm just as guilty of this as anyone, but I think many (most?) people don't really know what they're getting themselves into when they vote. That's the price you pay for democracy.
Dave_K. wrote:My girlfriend played in an intermural softball league at school that docked teams points based on any apparent bad-sportsmanship.
Yeah, but when they signed up for it, they knew what they were playing: softball. And I assume they had already played softball before and knew they liked it, and that it wasn't on the internet.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Twiddle wrote:Oh, that ship flying right past going "ha haw!!!" after you died? 500,000 points lost right there.

The potential point loss that results is almost as bad as breaking your chain in Dodonpachi.
Ha ha! That does make your heart drop, doesn't it? :lol:

What also ranks right up there, is getting blown up by a boss' guns, which are somehow continuing to fire at you while the boss is in the process of exploding. Another would be getting hit by the little blue bullet that came out from the explosion of a small nearby enemy.
Last edited by The Coop on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

The Coop wrote:
Rob wrote:
Now try it again.
I've played it again since that tournament ended. It's not my favorite shmup or anything, but I still enjoy playing it... more so actually when the competition isn't involved.
Same here. What really breathed new life into this game for me was dual playing on a 2 player control panel (as in one person working both ships). No worry about 100% completing the stages as its impossible that way (at least for a single ship)...making it much more fun playing for survival, and looks cool as hell.

[edit] Actually I just tried dual playing right now and found you can achieve 100% bonus (per individual ship) if that ship gets >= 50%. Imagine trying to kill exactly 50% and not more so your other ship doesn't get screwed. LOL [/edit]
Last edited by Dave_K. on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
szycag

Post by szycag »

I may suck at games I don't like playing, but it's fun being the peacemaker :)
That is Galactic Dancing
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Dave_K. wrote:Its the people, not the games picked, that are spoiling it.
Twiddle wrote:#1 shmups forums rule: Playing for score != playing for fun
I would disagree. Games are different; some are more fun, some are less. The fun value of scoring in particular is inversely proportional to the amount of complains you receive. I can't believe that, for instance, VP1 scoring would come off more appealing than RFJ's to an unexperienced person. After all, even if you'll have sucky score in RFJ, you'll at least have some fun playing. That's just my opinion, though.
szycag wrote:I think Rob's got the right idea. Our hatred for unforgiving and tacked on scoring systems is what brings us together. We endured a whole week of this game, and it made us stronger as a family. A family of pretty pretty ladies.
Lol.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

moozooh wrote:I would disagree. Games are different; some are more fun, some are less. The fun value of scoring in particular is inversely proportional to the amount of complains you receive. I can't believe that, for instance, VP1 scoring would come off more appealing than RFJ's to an unexperienced person. After all, even if you'll have sucky score in RFJ, you'll at least have some fun playing. That's just my opinion, though.
I was mocking the people who think such a thing, but yeah, anyone who's played the games for more than 5 minutes would find that the GD/Fighters series of Seibu games are great for score attacking and have much more manageable scoring systems in comparison to the other two.
unban shw
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Just curious, when do week2 results go up?
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Rob wrote:
szycag wrote:A family of pretty pretty ladies.
I wish I was prettier. :?
Your wish is my command.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Picking on Rob is fine and dandy, in fact, I encourage it; but leave poor Quaid alone =/
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

The worst thing is vote for a game, recommend your whole team to vote for it, see the game being picked for a difference smaller than the number of voters of your team, then completely regret picking that game.

100% in VP1 didn't look that bad up until I had to actually do it all the time.

Ohh well, bring it Progear or Darius Gaiden. The past is in the past now.
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Dave_K wrote;
This is my first year playing in the STG competition, and I though it was going to be fun. Instead all I see are f'ing complainers. If this is what it was like last year, then count me out of the next one. Its the people, not the games picked, that are spoiling it.
I wouldn't worry about it Dave. Just play the games and ignore the bitching. No-one's gonna like all the games that are chosen. Anyway, a bit of a bitch and moan can be quite cathartic.

This competition is played on more than one level. Not just scores, but gamesmanship too. ie. The teams' choice of games is also used to try to thwart other teams. With the result that you get weird games chosen. (The choices may also be due to other factors like not being able to handle complex scoring engines or horizontals).
MA7

Post by MA7 »

I wasn't looking foward to Seibu week at all. I've never clicked with their games, and Viper was really poor imho.

Hey ho, it's a tournament for the community so I may not enjoy every week, but I think I'll have more fun from the next few games
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Looking forward to potentially having to finally figure out Progear's scoring system.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
Fu

Post by Fu »

Please do not vote Darius Gaiden !