Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
croikle

Post by croikle »

Perhaps Raiden Fighters Jet? That's what I think of when I hear RFJ.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

There's an arcade in Frenchtown Mall in Monroe that's kind of a joke, but they have Soul Calibur 3 and Guilty Gear X2 #Reload, working perfectly. Not to mention 19XX and Aerofighters, working perfectly as well.
boagman

Post by boagman »

croikle wrote:Perhaps Raiden Fighters Jet? That's what I think of when I hear RFJ.
Ah...win for you. See what happens? Get me talking about pinball, and that's *all* I think/talk about.
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

Hmm...

Well, I've got to say, I think AFC (in Oakland Mall at least) is pretty decent. I might be a little biased though =P.

The games are maintained the best they can be, especially given that the most staff ever on the clock at one time is 2, maybe 3 and that's only on weekends. We do have Zero Gunner 2, and we also just got Tekken 6 in a few weeks back. I'm working on some other new games as well. For our size, we have a lot of decent games, and our prices are definitely lower than most places =P
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

boagman wrote:
croikle wrote:Perhaps Raiden Fighters Jet? That's what I think of when I hear RFJ.
Ah...win for you. See what happens? Get me talking about pinball, and that's *all* I think/talk about.
Yeah. Basically. My bad.
TriggerHeartExelica

Post by TriggerHeartExelica »

kccttzj wrote:Hmm...

Well, I've got to say, I think AFC (in Oakland Mall at least) is pretty decent. I might be a little biased though =P.

The games are maintained the best they can be, especially given that the most staff ever on the clock at one time is 2, maybe 3 and that's only on weekends. We do have Zero Gunner 2, and we also just got Tekken 6 in a few weeks back. I'm working on some other new games as well. For our size, we have a lot of decent games, and our prices are definitely lower than most places =P
I'll agree with Katie on this. The only other decent arcade I know of is in Southland and I refuse to go back there to watch while the employees make out and play ITG2.
It’s almost over. It’s just begun.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

TriggerHeartExelica wrote: I'll agree with Katie on this. The only other decent arcade I know of is in Southland and I refuse to go back there to watch while the employees make out and play ITG2.
The arcade in Southland was a joke last time I was there, but I haven't been there in a good while. I try to stay away from that mall unless I really need to buy something from there, it's full of mall-goths and scene kids. The comment about the employees made me laugh though :P
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

:shock:

WOW, many replies with mention of a sub par arcade meet up :lol:
I have not been to Pinball Pete in about 3 years so I am not aware of how they are…

This thread had become stagnant and I just threw out a suggestion. Davey was to be in that area and I thought it to be a fair idea…

Well, now that there is some attention and interest, what are some good ideas if Pinball Pete is not in favor? I am very open for whatever we may do.
TriggerHeartExelica

tommyb wrote:
TriggerHeartExelica wrote: I'll agree with Katie on this. The only other decent arcade I know of is in Southland and I refuse to go back there to watch while the employees make out and play ITG2.
The arcade in Southland was a joke last time I was there, but I haven't been there in a good while. I try to stay away from that mall unless I really need to buy something from there, it's full of mall-goths and scene kids. The comment about the employees made me laugh though :P
I went with my sister about a year ago and we took my kids there. They were playing some redemption games and fucking machine stole their quarters. I had to pretty much threaten to call a manager to get the teenaged assholes to stop playing DDR and hanging around like a bunch of lumps to get the damn quarters back. Never again!
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Hey, you are on Cyber City, you in Michigan?
croikle

Post by croikle »

Nah, east edge of Indiana. I've toyed with the idea of coming up for one of these meets, but it's a 4 hour drive each way...
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

TriggerHeartExelica wrote:
tommyb wrote:
I went with my sister about a year ago and we took my kids there. They were playing some redemption games and fucking machine stole their quarters. I had to pretty much threaten to call a manager to get the teenaged assholes to stop playing DDR and hanging around like a bunch of lumps to get the damn quarters back. Never again!
Game Zone's been gone for a while now. I'll agree, the place was a joke. Collected there a few times, and it was horrible. I think those stupid kids that make out with each other are the same ones that show up at AFC in oakland on the weekends. I have to tell them to knock it off sometimes. =P

AFC is going into Southland Mall sometime in 2009 though =)

Does anyone have any ideas for the 18th yet, aside from Pinball Pete's? I know Zero talked about Dave & Busters before, but I'm guessing we're trying for something in Ann Arbor?
Davey

Post by Davey »

kccttzj wrote:but I'm guessing we're trying for something in Ann Arbor?
I think my presence in Ann Arbor is being weighed far too heavily in this decision. :o

I just figured I'll be in the general area already, and I have that night free, so yeah. Anywhere in the Metro Detroit area is fine by me, although I'd prefer to avoid teenage makeout parties if possible.

As you'd probably guess I have nothing to add as far as suggestions go. The only arcade I've been to in Michigan is Pinball Pete's, unless you count the one time I went to GameWorks like 7 years ago.

Where is the Dave & Busters in your area? Do they have anything good? I've been to the one near Cleveland and the game selection wasn't super impressive (lots of games, just not much variety or anything special).
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

Dave & Busters is in Utica which is about an hour northeast of Ann Arbor. I've actually never been there, but I imagine it's pretty much the same as the one in Cleveland.

I'm not sure that we're going to find an arcade in the area that we find worthy of meeting up at. Maybe there's something else we can all do? I'm boring and don't get out much, so I guess I'm not the best person to ask. =P
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

SF4? :D :D :D

I'm not so big on Pete's itself. The arcade has gone downhill in a BIG way these past couple years. Most of the complaints have been logged I note. The upshot is that there's Blimpy Burger, Bubble Tea, a game shop, and two comic shops within walking distance of the place. Downside is that Petes is just depressing to go to. So many good games, prime location...and yet everything is poorly maintained, even the fighters and pinball, and nothing new ever comes anymore.

Other arcades? Other than AFC, all I know of is Butterfly (golf n games) up on Van Dyke. It's kind of meh last time I went years ago, but they had a huge game selection at least. There's also Marvins in Farmington Hills, but they don't have shooters that I know of. Gameworks is a possibility too.

God, I miss Wizzards. Even the shitty Southland Tilts had some decent games.

Quite frankly I think the best bet would be trying to meet at someone's house again. Alas, there is a lack of good gaming nerd hangouts in SE Michigan nowadays :P

That said, I don't think I could do Ann Arbor that day period. It's a bit of a drive, and I'm looking to take someone out to dinner earlier that evening...so by the time I'd be available, everyone would be leaving!
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

ubersaurus wrote:

God, I miss Wizzards. Even the shitty Southland Tilts had some decent games.
Tilts & Tumbles! I forgot about that damn place. So many good times spent there in my childhood.

And where can I see a list of what AFC has? I've never heard of it until I looked at this posting, and I'm interested now. If I'm gonna make the drive out there, I'd like to know what to expect :P

And about the idea of having to meet up at someone's house, I have a pretty nifty little pool house with electricity, cable, and a refrigerator. It's still decently warm enough to be usable, and I could throw a space heater in there just in case. Could house quite a few people, too. Just an idea I'm throwing out there. I don't have much in the way of games though.
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

ubersaurus wrote:

SF4? :D :D :D
Actually, yes. The Japanese cabinet is quite expensive, so I've been doing some research on how we can get it, if a less expensive version will be coming out, etc. With the success of Tekken 6, it's looking very possible that we could get it.
tommyb wrote: And where can I see a list of what AFC has? I've never heard of it until I looked at this posting, and I'm interested now. If I'm gonna make the drive out there, I'd like to know what to expect :P
Dragon Punch
Ghost Squad
Time Crisis 4
House of the Dead 4
House of the Dead 2
In the Groove 2
Pump it Up Pro
DDR Extreme
Drummania 10th Mix
Guitar Freaks 11th Mix
Fast & Furious Drift
Lost World
Zero Gunner 2
Need for Speed Carbon
Fast & Furious Super Bikes
Nascar
Tekken 5 Dark Ressurrection
Tekken 6
Mad Wave Motion Theater
Let's Go Jungle
Street Fever
Radion 2k5.5 (small boxy bartop game)
Wheel of Fortune Pinball
Deal or No Deal

That's off the top of my head, but that's pretty much it. Nothing too spectacular. There are a lot of games that need upgrading, and some games I'm still trying to get them to purchase, so we'll see what happens =P If you're into the Bemani games there is also another AFC at Universal Mall (12 mile and DeQuindre) that has Beatmania IIDX 8th Style.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Eh, might be worth a drive up, I still have yet to play House of the Dead 4, I've never played Tekken 6 (i actually didnt know there was one), and Zero Gunner is always fun :D.

Oh, and I'd assume you work there? Haha
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

For Davey:

Dave & Busters is on the otherside of town, (close to when we were at Dan's home) in Sterling Hgts. at M-59 and M-53 (or is it Schoenherr?)

Its a good 45 minutes + from Ann Arbor.

Gameworks is in Auburn Hills off of I-75 and Joslyn? (Its the exit past the Palace which is exit 81 Lapeer rd.) That is even further from Ann Arbor. It take me about 45 minutes from my home to attend Pistons games.

Oakland Mall, where kccttzj work at, is at I-75 and 14 Mile Rd. This is the closest of the three.

For kccttzj, zero.otaku, Ayanami, TriggerHeartExelica…
Will we be getting together this weekend? (tomorrow :shock: )
I guess I'll send out some text messages :idea:
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

tommyb wrote:Eh, might be worth a drive up, I still have yet to play House of the Dead 4, I've never played Tekken 6 (i actually didnt know there was one), and Zero Gunner is always fun :D.

Manager, actually. =P Let me know if you decide to go, I'll try to find a coupon for some tokens or something. Maybe that'll make the drive a little more worth it. =)
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

tommyb wrote:Eh, might be worth a drive up, I still have yet to play House of the Dead 4, I've never played Tekken 6 (i actually didnt know there was one), and Zero Gunner is always fun :D.

Tekken 6 they JUST got a couple weeks ago. They're one of the few arcades I know of in the country with the game. Which is good...we have a number of Tekken players in Michigan.

Keep me posted on SF4. Capcom made it such a pain in the ass of an arcade machine, but I'd love to blow my money playing it :D I know, at the least, you don't NEED that ridiculous cabinet.

Doesn't AFC have Marvel vs Capcom 2, and Robotron?
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

ubersaurus wrote:

Tekken 6 they JUST got a couple weeks ago. They're one of the few arcades I know of in the country with the game. Which is good...we have a number of Tekken players in Michigan.

Keep me posted on SF4. Capcom made it such a pain in the ass of an arcade machine, but I'd love to blow my money playing it :D I know, at the least, you don't NEED that ridiculous cabinet.

Doesn't AFC have Marvel vs Capcom 2, and Robotron?
You're right! Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Can't believe I forgot about that one. We no longer have Robotron, which actually wasn't just Robotron. It was a classic games cabinet with a bunch of different games. Just in the Robotron 2084 cabinet for some reason... =P

As far as SFIV is concerned, yeah, they're not going to go for the ridiculous cabinet. They wouldn't even do it with Tekken 6, but that actually worked out to our advantage. The original Japanese release of Tekken 6 can only use data cards in Japan, because it has to connect to a network to update player information. The International release has cards just like the US release of Tekken 5, and supposedly they fixed a few bugs. Hopefully they release a more affordable cabinet for the international release. I'll be sure to keep you posted though.

Sonic R - Whatever is good for you guys. I might have to work a little late tomorrow, so I'm not sure what time you were thinking?
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

kccttzj wrote: Sonic R - Whatever is good for you guys. I might have to work a little late tomorrow, so I'm not sure what time you were thinking?
I was thinking late anyhow… :wink:
Likely 9pm or later even… I may be out at a friends home during the day for basketball playing and would likely return home by 8 at the latest.

We can also polish and finalize the arrangements for October 18 so everyone is on the proper page.
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

Very nice. =P I'll probably text you guys tomorrow then to see what's going on =)
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

kccttzj wrote:

Manager, actually. =P Let me know if you decide to go, I'll try to find a coupon for some tokens or something. Maybe that'll make the drive a little more worth it. =)
I will definately do that, haha. Maybe a friend and I will drive up tomorrow, I only work till 4.
TriggerHeartExelica

kccttzj wrote:
TriggerHeartExelica wrote:
tommyb wrote: The arcade in Southland was a joke last time I was there, but I haven't been there in a good while. I try to stay away from that mall unless I really need to buy something from there, it's full of mall-goths and scene kids. The comment about the employees made me laugh though :P
Game Zone's been gone for a while now. I'll agree, the place was a joke. Collected there a few times, and it was horrible. I think those stupid kids that make out with each other are the same ones that show up at AFC in oakland on the weekends. I have to tell them to knock it off sometimes. =P

AFC is going into Southland Mall sometime in 2009 though =)

Does anyone have any ideas for the 18th yet, aside from Pinball Pete's? I know Zero talked about Dave & Busters before, but I'm guessing we're trying for something in Ann Arbor?
I am so out of loop AFC wise. I am crossing my fingers this means I might possibly have a job? I miss working at the arcade :(
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

tommyb - I'll be there tomorrow, just ask for Katie.

THE - Still not sure about any official dates or anything, but I'll be sure to let you know =)
Last edited by kccttzj on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

kccttzj wrote:tommyb - I'll be there tomorrow, just ask for Katie.

THC - Still not sure about any official dates or anything, but I'll be sure to let you know =)
Will do!

It's not a definate thing, but I don't have anything else to do after work tomorrow.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

UPDATE:

Ayanami and myself have just decided that we will meet up at Pinball Petes in Downtown Ann Arbor around the time of 5 o'clock PM.
At this time we will hang out, socialize, and attempt to play some arcade games… After a few hours, we will likely dine in the area.

At dinner time, we will likely decide where to go from there whether it be one of our homes or any other options.

Hope this is ok for everyone with interest to participate.

Thank You :D
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Well, I'm rescheduled for next saturday. But, I'm working until 5...so...

If someone would want to ring me for any post Ann Arbor plans, that'd be super.