XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FinalBaton

Re: XRGB-3

Post by FinalBaton »

Hmmm... I just remembered something.

Didn't I read somewhere in this thread that "D in 1" has good quality, but "D in 2" and "D in 3" have lesser quality? or does this concern the D4 inputs on these only?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

FinalBaton wrote:Hmmm... I just remembered something.

Didn't I read somewhere in this thread that "D in 1" has good quality, but "D in 2" and "D in 3" have lesser quality? or does this concern the D4 inputs on these only?
Check the Wiki? :)
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB ... XRGB-3_.3F

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB ... D-Terminal
Warning : D-Terminal inputs do not have the same quality. (confirmed for 480p signals, is it the same with interlaced signal or other resolution?)

Input | Quality | Note
--------------------------------------------
D IN 1 | good | minimal video noise
D IN 2 | bad | increased video noise
D IN 3 | bad | increased video noise

You should always use D IN 1 input with D-Terminal/Component cables. If you have a suitable adaptor, feeding in a component (YPbPr) signal to the GAME IN port can give an even better picture than D IN 1.

Note : the shared VGA input for D IN 2 is not affected by this problem.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

With the XRGB the B0 and B1 modes have to be flashed independently correct?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yes, but there was never an update to the original B1 mode, so if the XRGB-3 in question was ever used in B1 mode, there's no need to update that bank.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

that answers my question.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

once I do the update do I need to do a reset via holding the three buttons up front?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

can't hurt, but it's probably not neccessary as the XRGB shuts down after any FW update anyway.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I'm having some issues with my XRGB3. I'll flip it on and the screen is flickery and drops etc. I can power cycle it a few times and can get it to go to normal but if I turn it off then back on it will go back to the same problem.

I was hoping the a reflash of the firmware would address the issue. No such luck to far.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

https://youtu.be/TZGO3HY5Fwc

Here is what it looks like.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I've noticed it not storing my picture setting either.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Here is what it looks like.
what about a different RGB source ? Saturn RGB cables are notorious for missing important ground connections, which can cause such behaviour.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

It's the same with all sources.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Your best shot is likely to replace (or recap) the power supply. These are definitely going bad over time, while real damage to the XRGB itself is quite rare. If the caps inside the PSU are dying you end up with insufficient voltage supply and all kinds of strange behaviour before the setup fails completely.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Is the XRGB3s power supply common on enough spec wise to just find a replacement or would repairing the stock power supply be recommended?

I really hope I can fix this issue. This is the "heartbeat" of my setup. I had to take a lower paying job recently and hate the thought of having to shell out for a replacement.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

11V, 2A, + in the middle
12V, 2A would be okay I guess (?) if so those are quite easy to find and cheap.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ikaruga007

Post by ikaruga007 »

Strider77, most likely failing caps in the power supply. Apparently a common problem with those; bad caps, possibly made worse if you're using a step down transformer that gives you 110v instead of 100v.

I had the same problem and simply got a replacement unit.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c8l4Gk1OTFk
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FMLyu1YvhVg
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

That looks just like my issue. I'll open my adapter once I'm home and see what I find.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Looks to be the issue but where the hell can I buy a 11v 3a power supply? I'm in the USA btw.
Edward_Tz

Post by Edward_Tz »

Mouser. Don't think they have any simple plug into the wall ones though. Would need a plug and some wires.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Well it was definitely the caps. All working normal again... huge relief.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

has anyone here ever used the ps2 or wii hdmi adapters and plugged in an hdmi to dvi cable running into the xrgb 3 pc in?

i wonder if this would bypass the noise i get over component cables going into the d terminal ports on the xrgb 3

would this work? would this even show an image? and can that port work concurrently with the vga in???
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The input isn't processed, so I'm not sure what you want to achieve this way (?)
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Fudoh wrote:The input isn't processed, so I'm not sure what you want to achieve this way (?)

a reduction of noise on the signal

using component or d terminal even in d1 port, there is still a very noticeable amount of noise when i play ps2 games

im wondering if i used the ps2 hdmi adapter im sure we've all seen on amazon or ebay or wherever and ran an hdmi to dvi cable into the pc dvi IN port on the xrgb, would this be similar to using the vga in port where there is basically no or not as much visible noise on the signal

im aware the xrgb 3 is going to process the signal in either case, i dont have a problem with that, i just want to know if i would get a cleaner image than what im getting now using d terminal cables
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

as said, the DVI input is NOT processed.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Fudoh wrote:as said, the DVI input is NOT processed.
ohhh, missed that part.

ok, but would it work as a simple pass through of the ps2 image?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

only for 480p signals. The YUV to HDMI converter would probably already fail at 15khz signals and if the converter does it (only a few do), the XRGB probably won't pass them.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On the Wii almost everything's running in 480p anyway, so I wouldn't route that through the XRGB.

For the PS2 you should use a RGB cable instead of a component cable. Gives you considerably less noise.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

SGGG2 wrote:
What really neat is that in addition to the BNC outputs the Extrons also have a 'monitor' or 'buffered monitor' DB9 or VGA connector which is a second output. Both scalers are connected the to XRGB-3 without a VGA matrix or splitter.
Is the monitor on the extron 203 filtered or something? Is it identical to the BNC connectors?

I just realized I could do this yesterday and have my xrgb 3 in input 1 and dreamcast in input 2. Via the BNC output it goes directly into an audio authority 9a60 and the monitor output goes to the gefen VGA to DVI scaler.

The xrgb 3 gives me no problems on either output but my dreamcast with toro box wigs out with scan lines on when outputting to the 9a60 losing sync immediately, rolling screen shaky screen etc until I turn scanlines off. On the gefen I don't get this problem at all

With no scanlines I get a almost normal looking game but it looks a bit noisy on some dark screens and the color is off compared to the gefen even tho I tried to match settings on both screens.

Is monitor output detrimental to the image or is the signal from the dreamcast VGA running too hot or something?
Fudoh wrote:On the Wii almost everything's running in 480p anyway, so I wouldn't route that through the XRGB.

For the PS2 you should use a RGB cable instead of a component cable. Gives you considerably less noise.
I already bought an Xselect d4 I plan on feeding into the xrgb 3 dsub connector specifically to fix this and a few other uses
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

The 'Monitor' output's unprocessed. Still useful, though. Scanlines generators are known to cause problems like that on certain setups.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

SGGG2 wrote:The 'Monitor' output's unprocessed. Still useful, though. Scanlines generators are known to cause problems like that on certain setups.

Ahh I see, thanks, really just needed some peace of mind, now I can rest easy