Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by Blinge »

Dammn, that's a lotta vitriol for CV3.

I offered a solution. I wasn't trying to nullify your criticism. :roll:
If you don't like a level don't play it is common sense really.
And again, I see no problem with rushing back down the tower as Grant. You can even freefall some of it can't you?

I don't think the auto-scroller sections 'agonizingly slow.' They might be for someone who repeats and learns an optimal route but they were plenty challenging to me.
there's a level i went to with sypha where i was unable to figure out a way to climb a staircase without taking damage at the top of it - it immediately begins spawning in harpies dropping fleamen substitute enemies, and you don't have time to bait them away before too many spawn in to deal with.
Where is this exactly?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
kitten

Post by kitten »

Blinge wrote:Dammn, that's a lotta vitriol for CV3.

I offered a solution. I wasn't trying to nullify your criticism. :roll:
If you don't like a level don't play it is common sense really.
And again, I see no problem with rushing back down the tower as Grant. You can even freefall some of it can't you?

I don't think the auto-scroller sections 'agonizingly slow.' They might be for someone who repeats and learns an optimal route but they were plenty challenging to me.
i don't hate the game, i just don't like it. i am having to defend my point of view to a lot of people disagreeing with me, which naturally puts me on a defensive and places a higher onus on me to clearly represent myself. "it's good" is accepted, and no one is being asked to explain that with each new post they make in greater clarification. is it at all surprising i'm having to go all out when no answer i provide is satisfying to some of you?

"don't play it" is not a solution, it's a diversion.

you can freefall some, yes (there are spikes to punish you with instant death for not memorizing), but it is the exact same stage layout. no new enemy spawns, no interesting hazards from stuff falling apart, etc. it's shit and lazy and adds nothing new. the level isn't even cleverly designed for a reverse trip - there are segments where you occasionally just skip some stuff or that don't work in reverse. the cinematic implies the tower is now falling apart, so why doesn't it do that weird auto-scroll downward in chunks that other levels do? thematically, the autoscrolling segments in the game never make any sense, they just... happen. it's really weird and kind of thematically poor. honestly, even cv4 handles this better. why can't they occur when something is collapsing or exploding, or have something chasing you in the direction you're needed to go in to force you to move at a certain rate without fixing the scrolling?

during some of these segments, if you're going too quickly (very easy to do with grant, but possible with anyone), you can get up to the top level. and then when it scrolls again, you'll have an enemy spawn right on top of you, because it had scrolled enough for the platform to show up, but not for the enemy to spawn. this is amateur design. why is it so fucking determined for you to go at a certain rate?
Where is this exactly?
first staircase that causes a screen transition.

i should clarify that the only way i figured out to not take a hit during this segment was by taking in the ice subweapon for sypha and activating it on the staircase, which is some pretty obscure memorization, not to mention that the subweapon activation on stairs in this game is extremely finicky.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Capcom Generations 2 disc has arrived

Ooof, I'm getting decimated by the game :lol: I have a LOT of training to do, hehe
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

kitten wrote:during some of these segments, if you're going too quickly (very easy to do with grant, but possible with anyone), you can get up to the top level. and then when it scrolls again, you'll have an enemy spawn right on top of you, because it had scrolled enough for the platform to show up, but not for the enemy to spawn. this is amateur design. why is it so fucking determined for you to go at a certain rate?
I think you're exaggerating the design shortcomings of the autoscrollers a fair bit. As you know I've been playing lots of Dynamite Batman recently, a game with (relative to how short its stage sections are) enormous chunks of autoscrolling nothingness. I'm getting kinda sick of 4-2's, where I wait several seconds for the one dude to drop down and eat my charge shot while the odd turret drifts by (why is this DB so stingy with its enemies, I digress... the engine can handle three at a time without a sweat, and so can its player character - makes its action feel sparse at higher levels). I think you mentioned preferring Contra Hard Corps to III, once? That game hosts maybe the worst autoscroller I can think of in all of sidescrolling, That Fucking Jungle Boss. Again leaving me with nothing to do but sit and watch the tech demo.

CVIII's handful at least keep the player actively seeking out new footholds, usually while clearing landing spots of ledge guarders and/or dealing with fuzzies, medusas and crumbling floors. They're hardly design standouts, but I don't find them at all as execrable as you suggest compared to the infamous Block Mania segments, or the blank spaces of the aforementioned games. Like I said, I find the debate a bit nonplussing to start with, not putting much between CV1 and CV3 beyond the obvious compromise of more content/more hits/more duds, and I know you're not meaning to castigate the game or anything. This just leapt out at me, as someone who really, really hates bad autoscrolling.

Regarding that harpy area, can't you just axe them? I seem to recall doing this without much issue. Approach from the right, chuck an axe, haul ass upstairs while doing likewise (subweapons are a cinch to activate going up stairs in CVIII, with the software autofire... I assume this was a workaround of sorts).
Last edited by BIL on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Oh, looks purty.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
kitten

Post by kitten »

BIL wrote:I think you're exaggerating the design shortcomings of the autoscrollers a fair bit. As you know I've been playing lots of Dynamite Batman recently, a game with (relative to how short its stage sections are) enormous chunks of autoscrolling nothingness. I'm getting kinda sick of 4-2's, where I wait several seconds for the one dude to drop down and eat my charge shot while the odd turret drifts by (why is this DB so stingy with its enemies, I digress... the engine can handle three at a time without a sweat, and so can its player character - makes its action feel sparse at higher levels). I think you mentioned preferring Contra Hard Corps to III, once? That game hosts maybe the worst autoscroller I can think of in all of sidescrolling, That Fucking Jungle Boss. Again leaving me with nothing to do but sit and watch the tech demo.
lol yeah the jungle boss (deadeye joe? i forget his name) is unforgivable as hell. fortunately only on two routes, but i absolutely hate him.

dynamite batman is short enough that i'm not terribly bothered, but they are still boring and could definitely use more enemies or, i don't know, something. i'm okay with the shooting segments because they're at least super flashy. the elevator is pretty dull, for real, though.

i particularly dislike castlevania's because they're all vertical, spawn enemies when their full height would fit on the screen, visually, rather than just at the top of the screen, and have lots and lots of stairs and sometimes two different methods of descent/ascent sometimes mixed with enemies that will spawn in at your current elevation and potentially fuck you (those flying shield guys appear in the autoscroller in the block stage - imo that is the worst of the autoscrolling segments). also, again, they don't make any thematic sense, and that is a genuine gripe i'm sticking to. give me an explosion or sawblade or firestorm or something - anything - to give me the illusion there is some sort of reason for what's going on. there are already (more than) enough vertical segments without the autoscrollers, and the autoscrolling ones don't feel mechanically interesting, which adds a little extra sting.
Regarding that harpy area, can't you just axe them? I seem to recall doing this without much issue. Approach from the right, chuck an axe, haul ass upstairs while doing likewise (subweapons are a cinch to activate going up stairs in CVIII, with the software autofire... I assume this was a workaround of sorts).
i mean, i guess if you have an axe? isn't that still kind of shitty? the game puts a candle right over the staircase poised to drop its contents if you don't blind-grab them at that part that will give you a knife (or fire burst for sypha), iirc. thanks, game. in general, this game is worse about its subweapon placement, too. i feel like the original mostly never put subweapons in spots where you'd not get a chance to look at them on the floor before picking them up, but this one does that at several instances. this is something i really find especially bad in a game with more than twice as many stages to memorize and having two characters you need to switch between to hold subweapons on.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BIL

Post by BIL »

kitten wrote:lol yeah the jungle boss (deadeye joe? i forget his name) is unforgivable as hell. fortunately only on two routes, but i absolutely hate him.
Every route unfortunately (Jungle is a mandatory stage). 3;

Regarding the staircase, yeah, I guess that does suck if you lack any vertical attack and have to take a bump making it up to the second floor. I blame CV1 stage 6 aka stopwatch mania for numbing me to all but the most egregiously fatal "pack X subweapon or die" pinch points.
kitten

Post by kitten »

BIL wrote:
kitten wrote:lol yeah the jungle boss (deadeye joe? i forget his name) is unforgivable as hell. fortunately only on two routes, but i absolutely hate him.
Every route unfortunately (Jungle is a mandatory stage). 3;

Regarding the staircase, yeah, I guess that does suck if you lack any vertical attack and have to take a bump making it up to the second floor. I blame CV1 stage 6 aka stopwatch mania for numbing me to all but the most egregiously fatal "pack X subweapon or die" pinch points.
don't you only have to fight deadeye joe on two of them? or is it that he only died on two of them, determining if you fight mandrake or not?

man, it's only been like... okay, now that i think about it, it has been like 4 years or something, hasn't it?
Image | Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

Joe can die after the highway chase if you choose that route, or later on in the laboratory/rocket finales, but regardless the st4 robot is still there and will proceed with or without his piloting. Or maybe he faked his death so he wouldn't be arrested and is actually in there snickering to himself all the while, or remote controlling it from somewhere. Image

But yeah, if you want all four endings you're gonna fight him (edit: the jungle robot) four times. Groan. 3; His patterns aren't bad either, it's just all the waiting between.

I've mentioned a few times over the years, including recently, that I don't like the idea of patching/hacking games of that era... but good god damn could I whip up a decent Hard Corps edit. Just some rail-mounted turrets in the sections where robo clomps about would immediately dissolve most of the tedium.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

FinalBaton wrote:Capcom Generations 2 disc has arrived
Ooof, I'm getting decimated by the game :lol: I have a LOT of training to do, hehe
That's Dai Makaimura right? Are you going for the 1CC?

The only Makaimura I've played long enough (continuing the shit out of it) was Cho Makaimura (the SNES version), and managed to reach the last stage on loop 2, but I had to quit trying to beat it with the mandatory weapon.
I need to replay it sometime.
BIL

Post by BIL »

You should definitely give Dai a go, if you were enjoying Chou and able to stick with it into the loop. :smile: Way easier game to pick up and play imo - much quicker pace. It'll kill you quick, too, but you'll get back to where you were in no time.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

__SKYe wrote:That's Dai Makaimura right? Are you going for the 1CC?

The only Makaimura I've played long enough (continuing the shit out of it) was Cho Makaimura (the SNES version), and managed to reach the last stage on loop 2, but I had to quit trying to beat it with the mandatory weapon.
I need to replay it sometime.
Dai Makaimura, Yes! And right now I'm just trying to clear the damn first loop of the game! credit feeding like a motherfucker, haha.

(In my defense, I'm unfamilliar with the game. This is my first time playing it ever)
BIL wrote:But yeah, if you want all four endings you're gonna fight him (edit: the jungle robot) four times. Groan. 3; His patterns aren't bad either, it's just all the waiting between.
That boss is tedium-central, I agree. But to me it's legit the only blemish on an otherwise masterpiece of a game
Last edited by FinalBaton on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Dai is pretty mean. Image It stays that way too, volatile as all hell. Maybe the genre's finest example of RNG incorporation in enemy spawning and behaviour routines. On my desert island sidescrolling list of ten for sure.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

BIL wrote:You should definitely give Dai a go, if you were enjoying Chou and able to stick with it into the loop. :smile: Way easier game to pick up and play, much quicker pace. It'll kill you just as quickly, but you'll get back to where you were faster too!
I think I'll do that then.
I originally thought I'd follow the games' timeline, but I ended up playing Cho before all others. I also played the 1st game a fair bit, but I feel it is harder than the others.
Dai is the one I've yet to play much, but if you guys swear on it, then I think I'll go for it.

I do find the series overall to be pretty enjoyable, even if they utterly destroy me most of the time. :lol:
FinalBaton wrote:Dai Makaimura, Yes! And right now I'm just trying to clear the damn first loop of the game! credit feeding like a motherfucker, haha.

(Ti my defense, I'm unfamilliar with the game. This is my first time playing it ever)
I don't know about the first two games, since they were arcade releases in the first place, but one thing I enjoy about Cho, is that even if you die a lot, as long as you pick up enough money bags, you'll always have enough continues to keep going.
I definitely prefer it over simply allowing to continue forever, as you still have to work (albeit just a little) to earn your continues.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Dai is pretty mean. Image It stays that way too, volatile as all hell. Maybe the genre's finest example of RNG incorporation in enemy spawning and behaviour routines. On my desert island sidescrolling list of ten for sure.
I can't get over how \m/etal the series is. Grim Reapers coming after you, vultures trying to pick your bones,
guillotines and wooden beams used for crucifixion abound, with tons of the skeletons of the executed chaps remaining there as a reminder of how doom laden and vicious this realm truly is

Oh, and let's not forget that at the beggining of the first game, you and the gf were fucking in a graveyard before a demon took her away. Now that is kvlt as fuck :twisted:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

kitten wrote:i don't hate the game, i just don't like it. i am having to defend my point of view to a lot of people disagreeing with me, which naturally puts me on a defensive and places a higher onus on me to clearly represent myself.
Comes with the territory really, post walls o criticism about a game people like and they might disagree.
"don't play it" is not a solution, it's a diversion.
Lol wut.
Fine suffer through the tower every time from now on. You must play it after all.

Edit:
kitten wrote:i mean, i guess if you have an axe? isn't that still kind of shitty? the game puts a candle right over the staircase poised to drop its contents if you don't blind-grab them at that part that will give you a knife (or fire burst for sypha), iirc. thanks, game.
Well I'm lame enough to load the game up and have a look.
You're implying you needed to have carried an axe to this point; but the axe is right there at the stairs where you need it..?
Last edited by Blinge on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Looks like today is Kirby's 25th birthday:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... s_in_tokyo
Not hardcore sidescrolling action, but the games always seemed well made.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Always wanted to try a Kirby game, they seem fun. Gotta get Kirby's Adventure on NES. Game is soooooo purty
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Well I'm lame enough to load the game up and have a look.
You're implying you needed to have carried an axe to this point; but the axe is right there at the stairs where you need it..?
Good research! Is this CVIII? It wouldn't surprise me if AD doesn't give an axe, tbh. :lol: They're really not directly comparable games any more than Ninja Gaiden III FC vs NES.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FinalBaton wrote:Always wanted to try a Kirby game, they seem fun. Gotta get Kirby's Adventure on NES. Game is soooooo purty
Kirby Super Star on SNES, or it's improved port on DS, Super Star Ultra, are good titles as well.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

soprano1 wrote:Kirby Super Star on SNES, or it's improved port on DS, Super Star Ultra, are good titles as well.
Good to know, if I come across the SNES cart for super cheap I'll pick it up
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:
Blinge wrote:Well I'm lame enough to load the game up and have a look.
Good research! Is this CVIII? It wouldn't surprise me if AD doesn't give an axe, tbh. :lol: They're really not directly comparable games any more than Ninja Gaiden III FC vs NES.
Derp. Yeah its CVIII.

I'm gonna get around to some 1cc learnin' someday: I was toying with the idea of going for akuma joe's for an easier time but F it, I played CV3 before.. I'll go with that.
kitten

Post by kitten »

Blinge wrote:Comes with the territory really, post walls o criticism about a game people like and they might disagree.

Fine suffer through the tower every time from now on. You must play it after all.

Well I'm lame enough to load the game up and have a look.
my point is that equally wordy posts of praise toward most games don't cause the same reaction. people in this thread want to consume constant praise, but not often criticism. it's a little stale to exclusively be positive and never challenge the quo and can turn a thread into an echo chamber. praise is considered acceptable and championed quite frequently, even when completely vapid and thoughtless, but criticism is held to the standard it must be incredibly thoughtful, extremely accurate, and consider all potential viewpoints and play goals/orientations (with a heavy slant toward high competency and tons of play) - this is a position that strangles critical growth and starts to make praise meaningless without any balance to it. still keeps the thread a bit useful for suggestions, but how can i tell when suggestions are good if i don't know the taste of the one suggesting them - how can any of you?

you "must" if you want grant! this is my entire point! do you read, or just want to be contrarian? yes, obviously on some plays i will completely avoid it, at no point did i say this portion was something to do on a route where you don't want him. likewise, if you want alucard, you are damned to some really extra shitty stages. a lot of people suggest the fun in castlevania 3 is in its variety, but how true can that possibly be if the solution (solution being your word) to "this part of the game isn't fun" is "don't play it?"

could have seriously sworn it gave you a knife - perhaps i just assumed it was a knife because knife drops often become fire spouts for sypha? perhaps it's both knife and axe become that, and then cross and holy water become ice or tri-shot? perhaps it really is a knife because of the weird differences between the two versions? i could be mistaken! the game is honestly confusing about how that works and there's no indication as to what is in a candle before you smash it. i feel like this is a pretty big problem with the game, honestly, but i already complained about this. memorizing candle drops for two different characters is a bit demanding for such a big game, i already dislike doing it in the much shorter initial installment.
Image | Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I'm personally welcoming of criticism in here. This is needed indeed. and perfectly healthy

I think the reason there's not a metric ton of negative stuff said in here(although there certainly is some well deserved bits here and there for sure) is because we like to discuss the best games for each system. I genuinely think that's the only reason why there's not loads of negative stuff said. If we were to tackle a whole game console library, you can bet the negative reviews would increase tenfold :lol:

(well that's the case for me at least. I almost exclusively talk about games that get me excited on here. I'm a positive kind of guy, so when I get on here I want to discuss good gaming experiences, and avoid the bad ones entirely. Real life can be though, so when I go online I wanna talk about stuff that makes me happy. I guess you could say that I'm a hobbyist and not a journalist. Still, I am extremely confident in my critical judgement. If you don't see me talk bad games on here it's not because I like everything. far, far from it. It's just because : the many games I don't enjoy, I'll just straight avoid mentionning them altogether :P )

I also believe that praising something a game does on an elite level IS criticism : it means that you've witnessed how shitty that thing can be handled and now you recognize how well it is done in this particular game!

Your voice is certainly welcomed kitten! nobody ever said that we need to praise all the damn time.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 17 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Uh oh! I'd advise against broad-brush accusations of vapid praise, unless you intend to insult everyone at once :wink:
this is a position that strangles critical growth and starts to make praise meaningless without any balance to it. still keeps the thread a bit useful for suggestions, but how can i tell when suggestions are good if i don't know the taste of the one suggesting them - how can any of you?
Hurr dunno, I don't have a degree in theorycraft.
*scratches armpit*
you "must" if you want grant! this is my entire point! do you read, or just want to be contrarian?
haha oh right yeah, Well it depends if you think Grant is worth going to the trouble or not. If we follow BIL's prescription, then he's worth it in the US version.
Alucard is only worth it for mobid curiosity's sake maybe.

Again, the Clocktower is nowhere near as bad as you say.
Unexciting? Maybe, but stage 2 in CVI isn't particularly exciting either.

As for the Axe Candle: Try different methods or risk tunnel vision, frustration, and lengthy posts explaining why it's the games fault.
Like when I made an ass of myself over DracXX. :mrgreen:
In my kusoplay of CV3 I only brought Sypha out for specific sections I couldn't handle with Trevor, I rarely swapped.
As a result she almost never had a subweapon, I wouldn't worry about managing hers unless you want a specific weapon for a specific part.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Grant is definitely worth it imo, much better movement options than the other two at zero ammo cost (and EZ section skips if you're into that), plus his limited range is only an issue if you're A FUCKIN SCARED LITTLE PUSSY (・`W´・) no for real he's a blast. Duck an axe ogre's swing and jam a knife in his fuckin ballsack today. Quicker going down than up the tower too.
kitten wrote:my point is that equally wordy posts of praise toward most games don't cause the same reaction. people in this thread want to consume constant praise, but not often criticism. it's a little stale to exclusively be positive and never challenge the quo and can turn a thread into an echo chamber.
Two things. First, you recently asked me if I'd played Gremlins 2. A quick search of my post history would reveal I've indeed given detailed impressions of it many times over the years. Don't get me wrong - I'd never expect anyone to conduct research on my behalf, and I'm always happy to discuss old subjects anew. My point is I think you've got a very incomplete picture of this thread's contents, and probably that of the forum in general. Plenty of prominent, beloved names have been put under intense scrutiny here, far more heated than anything I've ever seen you post.

If this thread seems like an echo chamber to you, I suggest reading it from the start. And if praise seems to overrule critique, like some sappy Hollywood ending, it's possible there is a legitimate reason for that. See the recent Alien Soldier internet dance battle, or your own recently revised stance on NG1.

Second, this is ignoring the bigger point: as I've always maintained over the years, this thread has never been about intense critique or theory. It's more for relaxed discussion and "what are you playing lately, did it make you happy or push you nearer to suicide?" That's not a copout but a byproduct of this forum's nature; there tends to be more intensive playing than intensive theorising here (see bolded below - ding ding ding!).
praise is considered acceptable and championed quite frequently, even when completely vapid and thoughtless, but criticism is held to the standard it must be incredibly thoughtful, extremely accurate, and consider all potential viewpoints and play goals/orientations (with a heavy slant toward high competency and tons of play) - this is a position that strangles critical growth and starts to make praise meaningless without any balance to it. still keeps the thread a bit useful for suggestions, but how can i tell when suggestions are good if i don't know the taste of the one suggesting them - how can any of you?
That's how we roll I'm afraid. Image Hell, it's not all bad. I thought Dynamite Batman fuckin sucked until I put some time in and learned to play it competently. Now I think it's mostly okay and even shelled out dineros for a copy. FML!

If vapid and thoughtless praise is getting you down, challenge it directly. I thought your praise of Dynamite Batman, Gun-Dec and Ninja Ryukenden III was not vapid but a little untempered, so I said so. If you think the thread needs course correction, I would suggest that's the most organic way to go about doing so.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

soprano1 wrote:Not hardcore sidescrolling action
I disagree.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:I think the reason there's not a metric ton of negative stuff said in here(although there certainly is some well deserved bits here and there for sure) is because we like to discuss the best games for each system. I genuinely think that's the only reason why there's not loads of negative stuff said. If we were to tackle a whole game console library, you can bet the negative reviews would increase tenfold :lol:
Excellent point. Lame games like Alien 3 take a lot out of me and I'm sure others. Every day one step nearer the grave, so yeah, let's totally do an anthology of early 90s licensed Eurosidescrollers! Or fucking not lmao
FinalBaton wrote:
BIL wrote:Dai is pretty mean. Image It stays that way too, volatile as all hell. Maybe the genre's finest example of RNG incorporation in enemy spawning and behaviour routines. On my desert island sidescrolling list of ten for sure.
I can't get over how \m/etal the series is. Grim Reapers coming after you, vultures trying to pick your bones,
guillotines and wooden beams used for crucifixion abound, with tons of the skeletons of the executed chaps remaining there as a reminder of how doom laden and vicious this realm truly is

Oh, and let's not forget that at the beggining of the first game, you and the gf were fucking in a graveyard before a demon took her away. Now that is kvlt as fuck :twisted:
My favourite are the crucified dudes who were subsequently pwned with a javelin to the chest. Just when they thought their day couldn't get any more kvlt! Image
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Since FinalBaton is playing it as well, and everyone else swears by it, I've played Dai Makaimura for a while.

I used a boatload of continues throughout the run, and only managed to reach the stage with the 4 Arremers and the quasi boss rush.

On the 1st stage, the hardest part, is where the vines and flowers appear, but with some practice, it's pretty doeable.
The 2nd stage's start (with the jumping turtles) took a bit of practice as well, but more to avoid losing the armour, rather than dying (although I did dies a few times there). I initially had more trouble than necessary, because I accidentally picked up the torch.
On the 3rd stage, I lost a few lives on the auto scrolling part, although it's wasn't too hard, but also lost a few more, because I didn't know you had to quickly go right at some parts, in order not to get squishes against the ceiling.
The 4th stage was pretty though, especially the ice platforms and the boss.

On the next stage, after many attempts, I finally managed to beat the Arremers, and reach the next checkpoint, which to be honest, is very, very nice, as the Arremers are a majestic pain in the ass to beat.
But the boss rush is even worse.
The first Astaroth it's pretty easy to beat, but I still have a good amount of trouble beating the next couple 1st stage bosses, and I usually, at the very least, end up losing my armour.

The Astaroth duo, I've only managed to beat once, and was only due to having picked up a gold armour right before, and since I had the knife at this point, you get a clone when you use the gold armour's power.
I attacked one of them as quickly as I could, and lost the armour in the process, but managed to beat them both.
I even managed to beat all three (I think there're 3?) clouds, but lost to the 1st stage boss after that, due to the little flying, annoying little devils.

After this, I didn't have the will to go through that again, so for now, I'm taking a break.

The game itself is really very nice. Arthur controls as wonderful as ever, and the ability to attack up and down are equally very useful to have.
FinalBaton wrote:I can't get over how \m/etal the series is. Grim Reapers coming after you, vultures trying to pick your bones,

And don't forget the bloody Red Arremer sitting on a mountain of skulls, which he can (and does) use to kill you. 8)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:My favourite are the crucified dudes who were subsequently pwned with a javelin to the chest. Just when they thought their day couldn't get any more kvlt! Image
Haha that's fucking br00tal as well, love it
__SKYe wrote:And don't forget the bloody Red Arremer sitting on a mountain of skulls, which he can (and does) use to kill you. 8)
Yeah I love it! He's chilling on top of a fucking mountain of skulls and he's leisurly chucking some your way, what a badass, lol
Last edited by FinalBaton on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-