XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Laughingman.s9

Re: XRGB-3

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Is the d in 1 input comparable to the d in 2 VGA input in terms of noise?

I ask because I'm about to buy a xselect d4 and would like to use the d terminal output to feed into the d in 1 input on the xrgb 3 so that I can use the 15 pin VGA output of the xselect to bypass the xrgb 3 entirely and go straight into either an extron 203 or my gefen VGA to DVI for all my 480p consoles
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
awe444

Post by awe444 »

awe444 wrote:
XRGB-3 wiki wrote:If you have a suitable adaptor, feeding in a component (YPbPr) signal to the GAME IN port can give an even better picture than D IN 1.
Can anyone recommend such an adapter? Preferably RCA-->21-pin
(Four days of research later): OK, it looks like there was such an adapter (component to 21-pin) bundled with the XSELECT-D4:

So now that I know the adapter exists, the hard part will be tracking one down. Quite a shame Micomsoft didn't include one with the XRGB-3. If anyone has a spare, I'm WTB.
awe444 wrote:Alternatively, is it possible (and if so, preferable?) to feed my YPbPr signal into the VGA-in port shared by D IN 2? If so, any recommendations on adapters to best convert my RCA plugs into a VGA connector?
While I still don't know if its *preferable* to feeding YPbPr into the GAME-IN port, I now at least realize it's possible to feed YPbPr into the 15-pin input on D IN 2. This realization came only from noticing the menu feature MENU > OPTIONS > D IN 2 INPUT > YUV. Interestingly I haven't found any account of anyone actually trying this input method or describing its quality, neither on the XRGB-3 wiki nor on this forum. If you have---is it preferable or equal to GAME-IN? In any case the necessary adapter is cheap and easy to get, e.g.,

so I just bought one and will try for myself in a couple of days.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Component to SCART adapters were faily common at one time. That does of course mean you need a JP21 to SCART adapter for the XRGB3, but I imagine most people do anyway. Here's one on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-SCART-to-Co ... 0833672632
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

So now that I know the adapter exists, the hard part will be tracking one down. Quite a shame Micomsoft didn't include one with the XRGB-3. If anyone has a spare, I'm WTB.
There was one included with the 2plus.... You can get D-Terminal to RCA breakout adapters at Solaris JP.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I ask because I'm about to buy a xselect d4 and would like to use the d terminal output to feed into the d in 1 input on the xrgb 3 so that I can use the 15 pin VGA output of the xselect to bypass the xrgb 3 entirely and go straight into either an extron 203 or my gefen VGA to DVI for all my 480p consoles
I remember trying to link the XSELECT and the XRGB-3 with a D-Terminal to D-Terminal cable at some point, but was disappointed by the quality, so I quickly switched to a RGBHV connection which I used for several years after that.
kel

Post by kel »

awe444 wrote:
awe444 wrote:Alternatively, is it possible (and if so, preferable?) to feed my YPbPr signal into the VGA-in port shared by D IN 2? If so, any recommendations on adapters to best convert my RCA plugs into a VGA connector?
While I still don't know if its *preferable* to feeding YPbPr into the GAME-IN port, I now at least realize it's possible to feed YPbPr into the 15-pin input on D IN 2. This realization came only from noticing the menu feature MENU > OPTIONS > D IN 2 INPUT > YUV. Interestingly I haven't found any account of anyone actually trying this input method or describing its quality, neither on the XRGB-3 wiki nor on this forum. If you have---is it preferable or equal to GAME-IN? In any case the necessary adapter is cheap and easy to get, e.g.,

You should have no problems using the adapter above although it would be no different from connecting to the D IN 2 D-Terminal socket using the component to D-Terminal adapter provided with the XRGB-3. Apart from sync which doesn't really matter when using component the D IN 2 VGA and D-Terminal sockets both have the same physical connections.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

BuckoA51 wrote:Component to SCART adapters were faily common at one time. That does of course mean you need a JP21 to SCART adapter for the XRGB3, but I imagine most people do anyway. Here's one on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-SCART-to-Co ... 0833672632
I've got a Euro SCART to JP21 adapter on hand, so maybe this is the best option. So the dangerous regional pinout difference is still relevant even when a 21-pin cable is carrying YPbPr instead of RGB? I ask only because I've not seen this explicitly stated anywhere and want to be sure.
Fudoh wrote:
There was one included with the 2plus.... You can get D-Terminal to RCA breakout adapters at Solaris JP.
A D-Terminal to RCA adapter did come with my XRGB-3, and I'm currently using it to feed component into D IN 1. The one I'm searching for is an RCA to JP21 adapter like the one that came bundled with the XSELECT-D4 (but not with the XRGB-3). It would allow me to use the GAME IN port instead of the D IN 1 port. Am I correct in my understanding that a YPbPr signal fed into GAME IN will pick up less noise as compared to being fed into D IN 1?
kel wrote:
awe444 wrote:While I still don't know if its *preferable* to feeding YPbPr into the GAME-IN port, I now at least realize it's possible to feed YPbPr into the 15-pin input on D IN 2. This realization came only from noticing the menu feature MENU > OPTIONS > D IN 2 INPUT > YUV. Interestingly I haven't found any account of anyone actually trying this input method or describing its quality, neither on the XRGB-3 wiki nor on this forum. If you have---is it preferable or equal to GAME-IN? In any case the necessary adapter is cheap and easy to get, e.g.,

You should have no problems using the adapter above although it would be no different from connecting to the D IN 2 D-Terminal socket using the component to D-Terminal adapter provided with the XRGB-3. Apart from sync which doesn't really matter when using component the D IN 2 VGA and D-Terminal sockets both have the same physical connections.
OK, so you're saying YPbPr via D-terminal into D IN 2 will produce the same video quality as YPbPr via 15-pin into D IN 2? No discernible difference in noise? But either of the D IN 2 ports' video quality for YPbPr will still be noisier compared to feeding my YPbPr into GAME IN, correct?

Thanks everyone for the feedback and clarifications!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

. So the dangerous regional pinout difference is still relevant even when a 21-pin cable is carrying YPbPr instead of RGB? I ask only because I've not seen this explicitly stated anywhere and want to be sure.
It's unlikely to be so dangerous using one of those adapters since you're only feeding in Y PB PR. Straight up SCART cables on the other hand have all kinds of voltage fed in used for signalling and whatnot. Still won't work without the adapter though.
OK, so you're saying YPbPr via D-terminal into D IN 2 will produce the same video quality as YPbPr via 15-pin into D IN 2? No discernible difference in noise? But either of the D IN 2 ports' video quality for YPbPr will still be noisier compared to feeding my YPbPr into GAME IN, correct?
I think the only way you're going to know this for sure is to test it yourself.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
awe444

Post by awe444 »

BuckoA51 wrote: think the only way you're going to know this for sure is to test it yourself.
Agreed---I'll share my findings should anyone else be curious... thanks for your advice everyone :)
juji82

Post by juji82 »

Hello there, just new XRGB-3 user. I got it updated to the last firmware, is there a way to flash it again to english OSD or I have to wait for the latest firmware to get out of the beta stage?
Sixfortyfive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

juji82 wrote:Hello there, just new XRGB-3 user. I got it updated to the last firmware, is there a way to flash it again to english OSD or I have to wait for the latest firmware to get out of the beta stage?
You combine the menu files from the old English firmware with the rest of the files from the new Japanese firmware, and flash that. Everything works, but the resolution menu is inaccurate (since the new firmware added a new resolution option).

Someone posted a download link up-thread.
juji82

Post by juji82 »

Sixfortyfive wrote:
juji82 wrote:Hello there, just new XRGB-3 user. I got it updated to the last firmware, is there a way to flash it again to english OSD or I have to wait for the latest firmware to get out of the beta stage?
You combine the menu files from the old English firmware with the rest of the files from the new Japanese firmware, and flash that. Everything works, but the resolution menu is inaccurate (since the new firmware added a new resolution option).

Someone posted a download link up-thread.
Uhm, I don't want to mess it up and brick it. Can anybody explain me how to do this?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Hello. I have a question and my researches didn't yeld any result.

Will the XRGB-3 in B1 mode, fed to a 1024 x 768 panel, display scanlines properly?
From what I understand, the XRGB-3's B1 mode will line-double the signal, and from there the TV take that 480p signal and scales it again. Is this correct?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

right and hardly any display will properly upscale from 480p to 768p leaving the scanlines intact.
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

there is an update for XPC-4 too

DVI出力の「1280x720」及び「1920x1080」の出力をHDMI互換に近い同期タイミングに修正しました。
 「1280x720」は「720p」相当、「1920x1080」は「1080p」相当の同期タイミングで映像を出力できます。
 XCAPTURE-miniで「1280x720」及び「1920x1080」の解像度をキャプチャー可能になりました。
 DVI-HDMI変換ケーブルでテレビにHDMI接続することで、これまで映らなかったテレビにも映るようになりました。
 ※完全なHDMI互換を保証する物ではありません。
 ※音声コーデックは含まれません。

●ズーム機能に「ズームSCREEN」を追加しました。
 設定を「FULL」にすることで「ノーマル映像入力→ワイドテレビ表示(TV比率が「ワイド」)」のときにズームしたとき画面の左右に表示されていた黒帯を無くすことができます。
 また「ワイド映像入力→ノーマルテレビ表示(TV比率が「ノーマル」)」のときにズームしたとき画面の上下に表示されていた黒帯を無くすことができます。

※アナログRGB入力でアスペクトを正しく認識できない場合は正しく動作しない場合があります。
 ※設定が「FULL」の時、ズーム画面で上下左右の端に移動すると、画面端の画像が欠け、すべて表示されない場合があります。
 ※設定が「FULL」の時は、ズーム調整で設定を最小に調整した際(0の時)の表示サイズが「ノーマル」の時と異なります。

●テストパターンにスクロール機能などを追加しました(No.16以降を追加しました)。
 16:カラースケール256段階1
 17:カラースケール256段階2
 18:横スクロール
 19:縦スクロール
 20:斜めスクロール
 21:カラースケール64段階1
 22:カラースケール64段階2
 23:クランプチェッカー

※すべてのテストパターンで、表示される画像の下が画面外にはみ出してしまう症状が発生します。
 ※No.18~20の機能において、OUTPUT SELECTやMODE SELECTのボタンを操作すると画面の全体、または一部が乱れる場合があります(他のスクロールするカラーパターンに切り替えると治ります)。スクロール機能使用中はOUTPUT SELECTやMODE SELECTを操作しないようにしてください。
 ※新しいテストパターンをご利用頂くには、ファームウェアのアップデートに加え、FPGA「B1」のデーターをアップデートする必要があります。
 ※No.18~19及びNo.23の様にスクロールする機能は、ガタツキが発生する場合があります。

●ファームウェア・アップデート後にUSBの互換性が高くなります。

※このファームウェアはお試し版(β版)です。新たに追加された機能は、今後の評価によっては予告なく機能を変更したり削除する場合があります。

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xpc4_update_ ... _v1_23.exe
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

in short:

- better 720p and 1080p timings (similar to the last XRGB-3 update)
- wider USB OS compatibility (similar to the last XRGB-3 update)
- underscan/overscan compensation function
- more test patterns
Sixfortyfive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

There was another firmware update on June 12. The only new function in the changelog appears to be a minor bugfix for 1920x1200 resolution, but there's also an English version download for the most recent version now.

http://micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3_download.htm
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

Yes! Finally :)
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Hi,

I am hoping someone in this forum can help me with an xrgb-3 issue:

I bought a new xrgb-3 recently and am battling to understand the Sound Settings.

I can't get any audio to come out of the front headphone jack, not sure if the unit is faulty?

I can only get audio out of the line out jack at the back of the unit but changing the Sound Settings (Audio level, mute, treble, bass, loud, center) has no effect . The only setting that has an effect is the Mixers setting, it starts decreasing the volume when set below 8.

Has anybody ever come across similar issues with their xrgb-3?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, but I can tell you that the internal sound processing along with the front headphone output is really mediocre. That's the reason why almost anybody chose not to use this output. You're much better off just using the line out.
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Fudoh wrote:
no, but I can tell you that the internal sound processing along with the front headphone output is really mediocre. That's the reason why almost anybody chose not to use this output. You're much better off just using the line out.
Thanks, I got it working, I received the unit with english CPU firmware v2.31. Updating to v2.51 fixed the problem.

I see there was a fix in firmware v2.40 for newer hardware, I don't know if my unit has the newer hardware. My PCB version is 1.4B.

What is interesting is that on my unit the front headphone jack audio quality is very good, it sounds exactly the same as the line out or taking the audio directly from the console. I tested this using an original model NES (NTSC).
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

There was another firmware update on June 12. The only new function in the changelog appears to be a minor bugfix for 1920x1200 resolution, but there's also an English version download for the most recent version now.
Where is the english version?

Nevermind I found it. Just one update file?
Last edited by Strider77 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

aarkay14

Post by aarkay14 »

RGB32E wrote:Finally got a digital camera (a real one ;) ):

F-Zero -> SNES -> RGB -> Game Input -> 1920x1080 -> Analog out -> XBR8 PC Input

More pictures and HD video to come! :D

Heyy !! Hi, which version of SNES/SFC is this??? sorry if you have mentioned before...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Does the XRGB-3 (and XRGB-1)VGA input accept 15 kHz?

I will run the SCART cable from my 240p consoles to a sync strike, wich outputs to VGA 15 kHz.
Would then like to go straight from the Sync strike to the XRGB's VGA input.

Will it work? Will the XRGB recognize that the signal going through it's VGA port is a 15 kHz one?

I haven't wrapped my head around VGA ports and wether or not they auto-detect a signal's frequency and threat them accordingly, or if they have a fixed frequency response (either 15 OR 31 kHz). It's still not clear to me.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sixfortyfive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

FinalBaton wrote:Does the XRGB-3 (and XRGB-1)VGA input accept 15 kHz?
Yes. You will need to change the D-IN-2 menu option to either RGBC or RGBHV, depending on the source. The correct choice doesn't always make sense, either. (I've had separate sync sources that display correctly with RGBC, but not RGBHV.)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Sixfortyfive wrote:
Yes. You will need to change the D-IN-2 menu option to either RGBC or RGBHV, depending on the source. The correct choice doesn't always make sense, either. (I've had separate sync sources that display correctly with RGBC, but not RGBHV.)
Ok thanks

And I take it that this input will get treated (line doubled or scaled)? It's not just a pass through, right?

Also, can I use any VGA cable? Or do I need a special "15 kHz VGA" cable or something?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

aarkay14 wrote:
RGB32E wrote:Finally got a digital camera (a real one ;) ):

F-Zero -> SNES -> RGB -> Game Input -> 1920x1080 -> Analog out -> XBR8 PC Input

More pictures and HD video to come! :D

Heyy !! Hi, which version of SNES/SFC is this??? sorry if you have mentioned before...
:lol:
That's quite an old quote! The SNES used for that picture is the same one I'm using today - 1CHIP-01 revision SNES. It has a non-standard serial number though, as it starts with UN602 instead of UN3.
Sixfortyfive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

FinalBaton wrote:
Sixfortyfive wrote:
Ok thanks

And I take it that this input will get treated (line doubled or scaled)? It's not just a pass through, right?

Also, can I use any VGA cable? Or do I need a special "15 kHz VGA" cable or something?
In B0 mode, the XRGB will output the signal to whatever resolution setting you pick. You can upscale or pass-through the signal. In B1 mode, it'll line-double the signal to 31khz.

Any ordinary VGA cable will do.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks SFF!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-