XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xyga

Re: XRGB-3

Post by Xyga »

The only interest in chaining an SLG with an XRGB (1/2/3) is to achieve '240p style' scanlines over B1-deinterlaced 480i games (which isn't bad at all depending on the game).

Now, scanlines over B0 ? I don't think I have ever tried that, the XRGB3's 640x480 output in that mode isn't what I would call beautiful, just extremely blurry. I don't see how an SLG would make it any better.

In regards to full deinterlacing anyway the XRGB3 doesn't seem to come even close to the Mini's quality whatever the output resolution, and that DVI 1080p update didn't change that.

Clearly the real good things with the update is that it brings incredibly sharp and clean 240p to 1080p, and properly working DVI.
Nothing huge, just appreciated additions (well, 'fixes' should we say).

PS: In regards to USB update, unlike amaradona I wasn't able to do it under Win 7 64. Glad I still have that old XP laptop around.

And almost forgot I wanted to say this;
ANNOUNCEMENT: please people stop trying to wire 480p consoles to your XRGB-3, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox...
whatever you do, this will only make things WORSE
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Xyga wrote:The only interest in chaining an SLG with an XRGB (1/2/3) is to achieve '240p style' scanlines over B1-deinterlaced 480i games (which isn't bad at all depending on the game).

Now, scanlines over B0 ? I don't think I have ever tried that, the XRGB3's 640x480 output in that mode isn't what I would call beautiful, just extremely blurry. I don't see how an SLG would make it any better.

In regards to full deinterlacing anyway the XRGB3 doesn't seem to come even close to the Mini's quality whatever the output resolution, and that DVI 1080p update didn't change that.

Clearly the real good things with the update is that it brings incredibly sharp and clean 240p to 1080p, and properly working DVI.
Nothing huge, just appreciated additions (well, 'fixes' should we say).

PS: In regards to USB update, unlike amaradona I wasn't able to do it under Win 7 64. Glad I still have that old XP laptop around.

And almost forgot I wanted to say this;
ANNOUNCEMENT: please people stop trying to wire 480p consoles to your XRGB-3, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox...
To be fair on that last point, I really never noticed any noise or real appreciable difference running my dreamcast through the xrgb 3 then through the gefen vga to dvi scaler plus as I did running the dreamcast straight through the gefen.
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Xyga wrote:And almost forgot I wanted to say this;
Or what, is the XRGB going to explode? LOL
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

With 480p consoles in B0 you get get worse scaling than most displays today might offer, plus a permanent 2 frames of lag.
In B1 you get sub-par transcoding with signal degradation (yes, even if depending on the display it will be more or less visible, it's there).
It also creates a compatibility issue, as we've seen recently, when using a transcoder for the X3 itself for better connectivity on newer sets.

So what's good about the X3 with 480p ? Nothing LOL.
Over the years I've read about enough people obsessed with wiring their DC, GC or Xbox to the X3, some who bought one specifically for using with those, some even believing its scanlines feature would work like it does only when using an SLG in the chain.
The X3 is a bad choice for 480p or 'VGA' capable consoles period. Even my DVDO scalers which are supposed to be bad at upscaling 480p do a better job, and with a delay of only 6ms.

The XRGB3 shines with 240p and that's it, for everything else there are better, cheaper, and simpler options: direct-to-tv or using a real decent standalone transcoder or converter.
Edward_Tz

Post by Edward_Tz »

Having the SLG 3000 in the chain but off for pass though wont effect the image will it? To me the scanlines from the XRGB 3 and the SLG 3000 look pretty much the same. I'll have to look at more games before I decide what I want to do with the SLG 3000.

The XRGB 3 line doubling looks really nice to me. At least for 240p. I don't have a lot of experience with the XRGB scalers but I don't really see it being much better. I'm sure the Framemeister has a better image but for 240p I don't think it's that huge of a difference is it?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

No, having the SLG there is actually kind of useful for any games that render in 480i but actually should be 240p (e.g Bust a Move 4 on the Dreamcast springs to mind).

The FM has a slightly more stable image than the XRGB3 in B1 and suffers from less compatibility issues. It's also less prone to noise, though not completely free of it. They both have their advantages and disadvantages but in a nutshell there's not really a compelling reason to upgrade if your XRGB3 is working well.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

I'm probably going to be letting go of my gefen vga to dvi scaler plus soon, any of you guys interested before I put it up on the trade station?
brownvim

XRGB-3

Post by brownvim »

I'm glad this is still getting firmware updates :)

It's a shame you can't have it wired for VGA and DVI at the same time though, I never understood why It's set up like that.

Wasn't 1080p always supported through DVI?

Patiently waiting/hoping for the English update...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The wiki say it was supported already but badly. Personally I could never get it to work before that update.
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

My monitor was fine with it, was slightly sharper through DVI than the VGA. Was never a fan of B0 mode though as I found it laggy.

I agree about 480p sources through the XRGB, no point. I found out my monitor works with sync on green through the VGA socket. Iv just connected my Wii and PS2 straight into the monitor and it looks a lot better.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

To its credit since the update the Dreamcast's 480p to 1280x720p in DVI doesn't look too bad, kind of a middle ground between sharp and soft...
Doesn't hide the bad scaling though (still quite obvious on text/characters).
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Xyga wrote:The wiki say it was supported already but badly. Personally I could never get it to work before that update.
1080p worked fine for me in b0, pretty sure both directly via the dvi out on the xrgb itself and via vga outputting to the gefen.

I assumed you guys were more excited for 720p for whatever reason
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Oh no the expanded/fixed 1080p compatibility is definitely the thing. Well I don't have much use for it but I appreciate to have it for reference since it looks so sharp and right.
On my previous and current TVs it didn't show at all, neither from VGA nor DVI, this update now made it a reality for probably many, many Full-HD models.
And 720p is just a nice addition, not very useful but as mentioned it can be good depending on the source.

I value the XRGB-3 a bit more now, honestly for a while I had been thinking about maybe selling mine. Well I no longer do. :P
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Oh no the expanded/fixed 1080p compatibility is definitely the thing
same here. Especially since I still prefer the PSP through the XRGB-3 to the Mini. You're dealing with a little more noise on the XRGB-3, but the scaling for component sources is cleaner than on the Mini.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Xyga wrote:Oh no the expanded/fixed 1080p compatibility is definitely the thing. Well I don't have much use for it but I appreciate to have it for reference since it looks so sharp and right.
On my previous and current TVs it didn't show at all, neither from VGA nor DVI, this update now made it a reality for probably many, many Full-HD models.
And 720p is just a nice addition, not very useful but as mentioned it can be good depending on the source.

I value the XRGB-3 a bit more now, honestly for a while I had been thinking about maybe selling mine. Well I no longer do. :P

I wish it let me keep a dvi to hdmi cable plugged in at all times alongside the vga cable. That'd be the only way I'd get any real use out of the update.

Fudoh wrote:
Oh no the expanded/fixed 1080p compatibility is definitely the thing
same here. Especially since I still prefer the PSP through the XRGB-3 to the Mini. You're dealing with a little more noise on the XRGB-3, but the scaling for component sources is cleaner than on the Mini.
You dont go directly into the Sony W for psp and scale using the built in zoom settings?

I can't get my psp go to look good outputting in 480p through the xrgb 3, only good in 480i with scanlines. I get a washed out image using progressive, noise I guess somewhere in the signal path
Edward_Tz

Post by Edward_Tz »

BuckoA51 wrote:No, having the SLG there is actually kind of useful for any games that render in 480i but actually should be 240p (e.g Bust a Move 4 on the Dreamcast springs to mind).

The FM has a slightly more stable image than the XRGB3 in B1 and suffers from less compatibility issues. It's also less prone to noise, though not completely free of it. They both have their advantages and disadvantages but in a nutshell there's not really a compelling reason to upgrade if your XRGB3 is working well.
Good to know. I'm still liking the SLG 3000 being there so far.

Way back in the thread I read that most people are just plugging the ac adapter straight to the wall correct? US 120v here. It doesn't seem to really get all that warm and the multimeter is showing just over 11v from it so guess it's fine. Probably something I should had asked about earlier but I didn't think much about it.

I keep flip flopping between right around 35 sharpness and up to 60 on the SONY. Think I may like it where Xyga has it.
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

The new firmware installer works on my version of Windows 7, nice to know I can get rid of the XP partition on my PC.

I managed to install the new 2.50 update with the English language files, as Kel mentioned a few pages back all you need to do is replace the 2 English language files from the older firmware into the new package.

I have uploaded the data03 folder here if your lazy: https://mega.co.nz/#!3wZ00AhD!SDbJy5YMB ... C1pNoHyc1g

all you need to do is replace it at

C:\Program Files (x86)\XRGB-3\Update Tool

note: remember to install the xrgb3_update_setup_v2_50.exe first!
kel

Post by kel »

I didn't think it would be possible with this update as the osd_text_wide and xrgb3_osd_wide files have also been updated which are language specific.

Without the latest english versions of those files I could imagine that the new 720p option would not show up in the OSD. The better 1080p compatibility would probably work though as I doubt that it relies on the OSD or does it need to be enabled in the OSD? I haven't got around to trying the new firmware so I'm not sure.

@brownvim Can you confirm if all the new features are present with the 2.50 update after replacing the files with the older english versions, in particular the option to change to 720p in the OSD?

Although to be honest even if it doesn't show up I suppose you could just press the Mode button on the front of the unit until you reach 720p.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

kel wrote:Although to be honest even if it doesn't show up I suppose you could just press the Mode button on the front of the unit until you reach 720p.
The 'mode' button won't do it, to boot in 720 you have to perform some manipulation.

From the update log (google-translated);
Direct start-up is now available in at a resolution of "1280x720 (720p or equivalent)."
I can start with a resolution of "POWER" button + in the activation by simultaneous pressing of "PC / AV" button "1280x720 (720p or equivalent)."
brownvim

XRGB-3

Post by brownvim »

720p and 1080p work fine by going into Options then Resolution but they are labelled wrong.

As 1280x768 and 1920x1200

My monitor says they are 720p and 1080p
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

And yes, holding PC AV and pressing power boots it up in 720p. Even when you have turned it off in another resolution.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

So how would you select (actual) 1920x1200 on your unit ?
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

Can't select it from the menu.

You have to press the mode button on the front of the unit to get to 1920x1200. It's one press after the 1080p option.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

brownvim wrote:720p and 1080p work fine by going into Options then Resolution but they are labelled wrong.

As 1280x768 and 1920x1200

My monitor says they are 720p and 1080p
Same here, thought I messed up the firmware upgrade not that it matters, either in 720p or 1080p the games I've played looked like absolute shit

Tried 240p out of a Saturn and 480i from a gamecube via s video, it's fucking hideous

Sync is really shaky, I have to center with both an extron rgb and the xrgb menu and still can't get it all the way centered before I lose sync. Am I doing something wrong? I mean with both getting a centered image and an actual good looking image in b0
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

1080p looks really good on mine in B0, stable, centered and sharp.

720p slightly less sharper, I noticed in this mode the menu shrinks.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

brownvim wrote:1080p looks really good on mine in B0, stable, centered and sharp.

720p slightly less sharper, I noticed in this mode the menu shrinks.

Are you using dvi out or vga?

I'm going vga to Extron rgb 203 to audio authority 9a60 to tv

The only time I ever tried b0 mode was before I moved on an older TV straight dvi out. My old TV had no problem recognizing 1080p out of dvi
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

I'm using VGA out, I will try DVI out later as 1080p looks really good!
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Never mind figured out what it was, for whatever reason I had to adjust the potentiameter inside my 9a60 in the opposite direction than when I keep it in b1 mode. This and removing v sync lock fixed my sync issues, the image was actually decent now but still much prefer b1

I don't know why yesterday I found nights on Saturn in B0 so ugly and grainy sync issues not withstanding and today I found the image pleasing. It definitely looked softer than yesterday's image and I didn't change any sharpness settings between then and now
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

why should I install the new firmware 2.5? I have a english translated one even lower than 2.12 I think...

is there finally custum profile selecter available? It's really annoying to recalibrate the best settings for each console input everytime.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Nice! v2.50 beta FW! I'll have to see if B0 1080p DVI-D output finally works. Perhaps I might switch back to using the XRGB-3 for a while. :mrgreen: Hopefully we'll get an English version in the next release.
Last edited by RGB32E on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.