OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Mikeyy00

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by Mikeyy00 »

Guspaz wrote:With the audio mod, IIRC the 3.5mm jack becomes an input, can't you use the Y splitter to connect both the dreasmcast and xbox to the OSSC?
I could if this is true? But how would the 3.5mm jack that was output become an input? The only connections on the audio upgrade board, are 5v, clock, ground, audio IN left and right from SCART plug? Does the firmware flip it?

Forgive me if it was actually that easy.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

I'm confused. Why wouldn't you want to just plug SPDIF into the Receiver? I know on most modern Receivers you can assign a SPDIF port to a specific HDMI port.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 »

austin532 wrote:I'm confused. Why wouldn't you want to just plug SPDIF into the Receiver? I know on most modern Receivers you can assign a SPDIF port to a specific HDMI port.

I would, but the shelf all of my systems are on, is about 15-20 feet away from the receiver. I have an HDMI cable built into the wall -> roof, so I don't want to run another cable for SPDIF if I can help it.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Mikeyy00 wrote:
Guspaz wrote:With the audio mod, IIRC the 3.5mm jack becomes an input, can't you use the Y splitter to connect both the dreasmcast and xbox to the OSSC?
I could if this is true? But how would the 3.5mm jack that was output become an input? The only connections on the audio upgrade board, are 5v, clock, ground, audio IN left and right from SCART plug? Does the firmware flip it?

The 3.5mm jack and SCART socket audio inputs are a simple passthrough, so when the audio mod board hooks in to that, the 3.5mm jack is also connected to the audio mod board.

However, VGPerfection reports that connecting both a SCART cable and audio input to the 3.5mm jack at the same time causes the 3.5mm input to be very quiet. If you're only using the VGA and component inputs, this would work fine, otherwise if you also use the SCART input another solution would be required.
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 »

Guspaz wrote:
Mikeyy00 wrote:

The 3.5mm jack and SCART socket audio inputs are a simple passthrough, so when the audio mod board hooks in to that, the 3.5mm jack is also connected to the audio mod board.

However, VGPerfection reports that connecting both a SCART cable and audio input to the 3.5mm jack at the same time causes the 3.5mm input to be very quiet. If you're only using the VGA and component inputs, this would work fine, otherwise if you also use the SCART input another solution would be required.

Good to know (thanks).

Now how about running SPDIF into pin 4?
marqs

Post by marqs »

Mikeyy00 wrote:Now how about running SPDIF into pin 4?
If it's a LVTTL (3.3V-level) signal then it should be fine. You'll just then need to modify the firmware by setting correct parameters for IT6613.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

Thomago wrote:Just use the gradient the OSSC displays by default when it's turned on and no source is selected; you should easily be able to distinguish whether "Normal" or "Low" is the right setting there.
Harrumph wrote: Ah I misunderstood what the setting is doing. In that case it should definitely be set to Low/Auto!
austin532 wrote:Normal = TV 16-235 and Low = PC 0-255 if I remember right. Dino Crisis is not the best game to test out Brightness and Color settings. Great for testing transitions from 240p to 480i though.
Harrumph wrote:I'd recommend using the 240p test suite to check the levels.
Also your TV should still have manual brightness and contrast settings right? I'd trust that a lot more than this auto level business.
Thanks for the help guys! Haven't had a chance to mess around with this but by the sounds of it Low/Auto is the correct setting. I'll play around with test patterns and other brightness/colour settings soon. :)
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

I don't think it's been addressed here, but I just wanted to share a simple fix for a problem I encountered with connecting the OSSC to my AV receiver.

For some reason, it did not want to accept the digital output of the OSSC (using a DVI>HDMI adapter), even though my monitor was fine with it. I don't believe my particular model (Yamaha AVR RX-V381) does any kind of upscaling or video processing that would cause this, and there didn't seem to be anything on the receiver side of things that I could tweak. However, simply putting another device in between them like this HDMI switch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8 ... UTF8&psc=1) solved the issue, and now it recognizes the signal immediately and consistently.

Perhaps the issue is that the OSSC is DVI out, and the 1.6 revision won't have this problem? I'll test for this again when mine arrives, but either way this was a cheap and simple fix.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The OSSC can output both DVI and HDMI signals, the physical shape of the connector doesn't have any impact on that. Have you tried changing the signal type between DVI and HDMI in the OSSC settings?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I actually get image dropouts if I remove the HDMI splitter between my OSSC and DVDO VP50. Guessing the signal strength somehow isn't strong enough for the DVDO VP50 but the splitter somehow amplifies it? I have no idea.

I had to reset my DVDO VP50 to factory settings because it suddenly felt like randomly introducing some sort of horizontal lines in the picture (either sync issues or tearing issues) frequently.

I can't wait until there's a solution that's less finicky and has less than one frame of lag. I think I'll be waiting for a long time though.
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

Guspaz wrote:The OSSC can output both DVI and HDMI signals, the physical shape of the connector doesn't have any impact on that. Have you tried changing the signal type between DVI and HDMI in the OSSC settings?
I know I checked these settings before but decided to do so again, in case they changed value after a firmware upgrade. Now, the receiver seems to be accepting the signal, regardless of how these are set, when before it did not. Not the test image or any of the inputs.
ZellSF wrote:I actually get image dropouts if I remove the HDMI splitter between my OSSC and DVDO VP50. Guessing the signal strength somehow isn't strong enough for the DVDO VP50 but the splitter somehow amplifies it? I have no idea.

I had to reset my DVDO VP50 to factory settings because it suddenly felt like randomly introducing some sort of horizontal lines in the picture (either sync issues or tearing issues) frequently.

I can't wait until there's a solution that's less finicky and has less than one frame of lag. I think I'll be waiting for a long time though.
Maybe this is what's going on with me, a weak signal sometimes? I thought it was an odd problem in the first place, or maybe my receiver is just goofy.
marqs

Post by marqs »

ZellSF wrote:I actually get image dropouts if I remove the HDMI splitter between my OSSC and DVDO VP50. Guessing the signal strength somehow isn't strong enough for the DVDO VP50 but the splitter somehow amplifies it? I have no idea.
It's possible to boost TMDS output signal level but that shouldn't be needed unless very long cables are used, although it's hard to say anything definite about the signal quality without a high-grade signal analyzer.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I actually get image dropouts if I remove the HDMI splitter between my OSSC and DVDO VP50. Guessing the signal strength somehow isn't strong enough for the DVDO VP50 but the splitter somehow amplifies it? I have no idea.
Had this on the older firmwares with my 50 pro but not any more, and only when switching between screen modes e.g 240p to 480i (VP50 would fail to re-sync).

Is this what you were experiencing or just random drop outs?

I have a Dune HD media player that does that from time to time, tried everything from HDMI boosters to stupid expensive cables and never solved it. Should really have sent it back but it's so intermittent I think I've cured it and it'll be fine for three months or more then it'll happen again.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Just random dropouts, probably a bad cable.

I don't actually experience it since I always use the splitter (I was just removing it to test why I got the other problem I mentioned) so it's not a problem. Just saying splitters/switches can indeed help with signal issues.

I use the splitter to split the signal between my DVDO VP50 (for best picture quality) and my TV (for low latency). Though I've never actually utilized the latter...
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

One problem with splitters though adding them to the chain usually adds at least an extra couple seconds to re-sync time, so if you're trying to play games with 240p/480i transitions, splitters make those transitions take even longer, in my experience anyway.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

BuckoA51 wrote:One problem with splitters though adding them to the chain usually adds at least an extra couple seconds to re-sync time, so if you're trying to play games with 240p/480i transitions, splitters make those transitions take even longer, in my experience anyway.
Right, I had to do some thinking how I wanted to connect everything up. My HD consoles are routed through an HDMI switch, and then connected to one HDMI input on my receiver. The OSSC is connected to it's own input on the receiver, and feeding the OSSC is an extron matrix switch with the older machines. So hopefully there won't be any interference with re-syncing, but I haven't tested it thoroughly as I'm still waiting on some cables to restock lol.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

BuckoA51 wrote:One problem with splitters though adding them to the chain usually adds at least an extra couple seconds to re-sync time, so if you're trying to play games with 240p/480i transitions, splitters make those transitions take even longer, in my experience anyway.
Both the cheap China HDMI splitters I have manages to sync in less than a second, total. Would be pretty good for playing 240p>480i games if it weren't for the fact that the VP50 displays a ugly blue screen when the signal is lost for that second.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

Guspaz wrote:
I just ran into this myself and am kinda annoyed. I'm feeding my Extron Crosspoint switch to the SCART port of the OSSC for RGBs and YUV, and Dreamcast (and maybe X68000 after I test that) on a VGA switch into the VGA port of the OSSC. Even with no inputs routed to the output on the Extron, it still makes the 3.5mm audio quiet unless I unplug the audio connection going to the SCART port. I assumed that if both audio ports were not in use at the same time that I wouldn't encounter issues.

I'm trying to figure out a graceful way to 'fix' this, but so far the only idea I'm coming up with is installing a switch on the SCART cable hood to turn off (disconnect) audio going to the SCART port.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Route all audio through your Extron crosspoint and through to the SCART and don't use the 3.5mm input at all. In fact, route everything through the crosspoint, it switches VGA like a champ too and should have at least two outputs, one to SCART one to VGA.
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

BuckoA51 wrote:Route all audio through your Extron crosspoint and through to the SCART and don't use the 3.5mm input at all. In fact, route everything through the crosspoint, it switches VGA like a champ too and should have at least two outputs, one to SCART one to VGA.
Oh that's a good idea, I was wondering how I wanted mine setup too. Was planning on having it connect directly to the OSSC, since everything else is coming in through the SCART input. But you're right I can just have a different extron output go to the VGA input.
lechu

Post by lechu »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:
Guspaz wrote:
I just ran into this myself and am kinda annoyed. I'm feeding my Extron Crosspoint switch to the SCART port of the OSSC for RGBs and YUV, and Dreamcast (and maybe X68000 after I test that) on a VGA switch into the VGA port of the OSSC. Even with no inputs routed to the output on the Extron, it still makes the 3.5mm audio quiet unless I unplug the audio connection going to the SCART port. I assumed that if both audio ports were not in use at the same time that I wouldn't encounter issues.

I'm trying to figure out a graceful way to 'fix' this, but so far the only idea I'm coming up with is installing a switch on the SCART cable hood to turn off (disconnect) audio going to the SCART port.
I use an Extron as well (two actually since I'm crazy. One for scart inputs, one for everything else). I don't use the VGA audio on the OSSC at all. I use the Scart input, and the VGA input (nothing on the component end). Since the Extron can do multiple outputs at once, I send the signal to both the Scart and VGA on the OSSC. That way, the audio from the VGA and component signals is sent to the Scart input on the OSSC and the video is sent to the VGA. I send all video to the VGA because it can handle everything (RGBS, RGsB, YUV, RGBHV). The audio is perfectly clear and the video is perfect.

If you're a semi-sane person and only have one Extron, this would be much easier. Forget the 3.5mm jack on the OSSC. It sucks.

Hypothetically, you could buy one of these adapters (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Popular-RGB-Scar ... SwnHZYQbxJ) and just send audio to the Scart head and send all of your video to the VGA (and no, you cannot use composite or s-video through the OSSC now). That actually may not be a bad idea. I may try that now.

Edit: While I'm here, I'll give another crazy thing I do with my OSSC. I use one of these adapters for the VGA input: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OEM-Extron-26-53 ... SwnQhXpZj0. I also have BNC to phono adapters for them (I have a bunch of males and females for both the BNC and phono ends). I also have these scart adapters (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... verter-bnc) also with BNC phono adapters. That way, if I want to take my OSSC to another room or take it to a friend's house, I don't have to hassle with unscrewing the BNC connectors (which can be a pain sometimes, especially on older Extrons). Just pull out the BNC connectors connected through the phono jacks and go. Also having that VGA adapter on the OSSC will save the life of it a bit. If you're someone who doesn't have some kind of scart switcher, using a connection like that will prevent you from wearing out the scart head from plugging and unplugging from the system. I'm sure there's probably some reason why I shouldn't do this. I'm sure there's some image loss or something. But if there is, it's marginal at best. I can't see it causing any type of power issue.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I use an Extron as well (two actually since I'm crazy. One for scart inputs, one for everything else). I don't use the VGA audio on the OSSC at all. I use the Scart input, and the VGA input (nothing on the component end). Since the Extron can do multiple outputs at once, I send the signal to both the Scart and VGA on the OSSC. That way, the audio from the VGA and component signals is sent to the Scart input on the OSSC and the video is sent to the VGA. I send all video to the VGA because it can handle everything (RGBS, RGsB, YUV, RGBHV). The audio is perfectly clear and the video is perfect.
15khz sources are usually more suited to the AV1 input, AV3 does not have the same low pass filtering.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I have been feeding hdmi sources in to the ossc via the tendrak hdmi to vga converter. This has allowed me to add scan lines to games that wouldn't normally have them such as am2r

I did attempt to feed the NES mini classic in to see what happens with that as I hate the crt filter included and just wanted to attempt to add clean scan lines. The problem is, that ossc doesn't like it one little bit. Has anybody else tried or had success with this?
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

BuckoA51 wrote:Route all audio through your Extron crosspoint and through to the SCART and don't use the 3.5mm input at all. In fact, route everything through the crosspoint, it switches VGA like a champ too and should have at least two outputs, one to SCART one to VGA.
I would, but all 16 inputs are already being used :P
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:
I would, but all 16 inputs are already being used :P
Sixteen inputs? Wish I had room for one those really big models lol.
Blair

Post by Blair »

LDigital wrote:I have been feeding hdmi sources in to the ossc via the tendrak hdmi to vga converter. This has allowed me to add scan lines to games that wouldn't normally have them such as am2r
Ah, that's a good idea. Lots of neat pixel art games on the pc. I'll have to try that with some dojin games (like melty blood).

Also, after the latest OSSC firmware update .77 the 480i passthrough mode is now working with the hd3000! (before it wouldn't display an image). I'll have to do some more testing, but it might have fixed most of the anomalies that particular processor has with the PS2 and its interlaced output. Cool.

OSSC+HD3000+ Nintendo Wii 240p line2x (generic 4:3)
LINK:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFb7Y6C0NtM
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Here's a question for anyone with an X68000, does the OSSC work with all the X68k's video modes if it's connected through the VGA port? I'm thinking of getting one in the future and I'd like to be sure so I don't have to fiddle around with cables too much.
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

The X68000 should work on the VGA port, whether or not the display device connected to the OSSC will work with the output is another story. Also keep in mind that interlaced output detection on the VGA port could be hit or miss. The latest firmware has a setting to help with that.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

I tried my X68000 on my OSSC on 3 different displays, but not super extensively.
1.) Older 46" Samsung LED: wouldn't get any kind of picture (unknown signal) on 31khz resolutions, but did on 15khz resolutions (didn't test 24khz on this display)
2.) Toshiba branded Best Buy non-smart TV that displayed on 15khz, 31khz, and 24khz but usually had issues where it was cutting off part of the top and bottom (seemed especially bad on 24khz).
3.) some 27.5" Hanns-G 1920x1200 monitor. 31khz video cut off the top and bottom some (same as when hooking the X68000 directly to the VGA port on it)

So basically it seems like the 1st hurdle is the display playing nice with the X68000 at all, and the 2nd hurdle is it seems like hardly any displays know how to handle the X68000's oddball resolutions and end up cutting some off the top and/or bottom of the screen even with fit-to-screen options enabled on the display.
broken

Post by broken »

ApolloBoy wrote:Here's a question for anyone with an X68000, does the OSSC work with all the X68k's video modes if it's connected through the VGA port? I'm thinking of getting one in the future and I'd like to be sure so I don't have to fiddle around with cables too much.
I posted up a video a couple months ago quickly going over the x68000 and the OSSC.

Not super in depth, but it does indeed work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXouxncVu6w&t

But like cr4zymanz0r mentioned, how will it work will depend on your display.

But, generally speaking, I am damn pleased with it.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/