Custom Sticks Thread!!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Svovl

Re: Custom Sticks Thread!!

Post by Svovl »

Hi all,
I just bought this beautiful custom stick from a Danish custom stick builder that goes by the name MeisterDwarf.

Its with a Seimitsu LS-32 stick with smokey ball-top and Sanwa OBSF-30-BK buttons. The wood is zebrano, the top is black acrylic. The bottom of the case is fitted with felt. Inside there is a PS360 pcb.

Cheers
alamone

Post by alamone »

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Bought a cheap Wii TvsC stick or £35 delivered to Sweden a couple of months ago. Switched the stick for an LS-32-01 with FrancoB actuator immediately, but never got into any further modding until now. Bought a Ketsui overlay for it from trev1976 a while ago that I fitted to it, took a couple of Seimitsu buttons and stuck the art into them and finally, installed a Zero Delay Rematch PCB I bought last week for PC, PS3 and PS2 support. I have PS2->DC adapter that I can use if needed, might pick up a PS2->360 adapter for full console support.

Edit: Switched to a white ball.

Very happy with the result! :thumbup:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

Very nice emphatic!
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

emphatic wrote:Image
Looks super nice, I think I want to do another one of these. It's a shame they changed to black cases for the Brawlsticks, I think I prefer the white.

One question -- what kind of wiring/harness/connector did you use for the joystick? It looks like you've plugged it right from the Zero Delay Rematch into the PCB on the LS-32-01?
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

I see a lot of that four button layout these days - is that for people who are Neo Geo fans or something?
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Raytrace wrote:I see a lot of that four button layout these days - is that for people who are Neo Geo fans or something?
Well if you're going to do 4 buttons, that's the right way to do it.

That way your thumb rests on the 4th button and your first three fingers on the others.

Doing them 2 x 2 would suck and look kind of horrible besides. And doing 4 in a line means you have to use your pinky finger which is horribly weak compared to the rest.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Nice stick Emph. You should go with the clear dust-washer under that white balltop...would match your buttons!
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

shmuppyLove wrote:
Raytrace wrote:I see a lot of that four button layout these days - is that for people who are Neo Geo fans or something?

That way your thumb rests on the 4th button and your first three fingers on the others.

Doing them 2 x 2 would suck and look kind of horrible besides. And doing 4 in a line means you have to use your pinky finger which is horribly weak compared to the rest.
I c interesting, I don't think I could ever imagine using my thumb to press buttons on a stick, you must have to whack the side of it? obviously I have used it on gamepads, but tbh, even with gamepads/controllers, I usually lay them on my right knee and play my fingers top down (like on a stick), unless it's a game which has regular need of shoulder buttons.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Vyxx wrote:Very nice emphatic!
Thanks!
shmuppyLove wrote:One question -- what kind of wiring/harness/connector did you use for the joystick? It looks like you've plugged it right from the Zero Delay Rematch into the PCB on the LS-32-01?
The harness for the joystick came with the PCB along with all of the other wires. You can specify when you order it what type of wiring you want, 5-pin or switches. The cable that support PS2 was an extra that I had to add though, a regular USB is shipped with the PCB.
I only play shmups and they rarely exceed 4 buttons. This layout is super-comfy. Also, I only had four transparent buttons at home.
opt2not wrote:Nice stick Emph. You should go with the clear dust-washer under that white balltop...would match your buttons!
Thanks, I didn't have one at home for LS-32 though, might pick one up.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Raytrace wrote:
shmuppyLove wrote:

I c interesting, I don't think I could ever imagine using my thumb to press buttons on a stick, you must have to whack the side of it? obviously I have used it on gamepads, but tbh, even with gamepads/controllers, I usually lay them on my right knee and play my fingers top down (like on a stick), unless it's a game which has regular need of shoulder buttons.
I think the only time I've really used a 4th button is for Espgaluda I and II, which supports it for autofire. That way you just have to hold it down with your thumb, which is a lot easier than trying to tap it rapidly. Thumb isn't very good for that.

Is it Radiant Silvergun that uses 6 buttons? Or is that only on the Saturn port?
kttj

Post by kttj »

You can set up buttons so that it only uses 3 with a combination press for different sub weapons. I've been doing that on the XBLA version lately, seems to be a lot easier to wrap my head around!
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

shmuppyLove wrote:
Is it Radiant Silvergun that uses 6 buttons? Or is that only on the Saturn port?
Hmm I'm not sure actually you're probably right that it's only on the Saturn and XBLA version that it has six buttons, cos they all can be made with combinations of the main 3 I think...
Matskat

Post by Matskat »

emphatic wrote:Bought a cheap Wii TvsC stick or £35 delivered to Sweden a couple of months ago. Switched the stick for an LS-32-01 with FrancoB actuator immediately, but never got into any further modding until now. Bought a Ketsui overlay for it from trev1976 a while ago that I fitted to it, took a couple of Seimitsu buttons and stuck the art into them and finally, installed a Zero Delay Rematch PCB I bought last week for PC, PS3 and PS2 support. I have PS2->DC adapter that I can use if needed, might pick up a PS2->360 adapter for full console support.

//SNIPPED IMAGES//

Very happy with the result! :thumbup:

Vewry nice looking, Emphatic. The MadCatz SE stick is a real easy to mod case and with the right artwork can look REALLY nice.

Like yours. :)

Good job...
Mat$kaT
http://matskatcustoms.wordpress.com
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32709
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I did a simple mod on this Honcam FightStick I bought some years ago.

It's Sanwa parts, but I'm gonna replace the stick with Seimitsu LS-32 later on.
The buttons above the joystick is non functional. I threw the old PCB in the garbage because I'm too lazy to do any soldering work :P
So I'm using a PCB which works on PC and PS3.
lrdr

Post by lrdr »

SHMUPS.COM!

Do you like the feel of the Sanwa JLW and the fact it uses easily replaceable lever-action microswitches (not to mention Sanwa's reputation for making quality products) but dislike it's long-arse throw, which of course makes it hard to make those quick, precise movements required by high-end shmups players such as yourself (or even crap ones such as myself)?
And do you love shitty ghetto mods that don't deserve their own thread, but hate the added friction you get when using the standard, well known electrical tape/heat shrink actuator-expansion mods?

WELL HAVE I GOT THE UNBELIEVABLY CHEAP AND SHITTY MOD FOR YOU!

OK so I spent the week scouring the local hardware shops for something to shorten the throw/actuation length of my JLW, since it was so hard to... well, like I said above. I'd initially settled on buying a nylon olive (39c) and sanding it to size, but then I spotted this stuff in the gardening section:

If you can't read the label, it says '13mm x 1m pre-cut poly pipe'. It's rigid (unlike the tape/heatshrink mods mentioned above) and fits perfectly over the end of the JLW's actuator and was much smaller than the olive, so I figured I might not even have to sand it at all. This ended up being wrong but there you go. It cost $1.50 from a place called Banner Hardware ($AUD).

Anyway I took it home and cut a chunk to size, more or less, using a cheap serrated knife (like, $1 from The Reject Shop) to saw through. It was surprisingly easy to make a reasonably smooth cut; just don't rush it like I did (I have one raggedy arse and one good edge). It will fit easily over the actuator but by default the throw will be too short to activate the switches.

(I have such pretty hands. I can never go to prison)

Now, you could wrap a bit of electrical tape around the fat end of the actuator (the part that actually presses the switches) or even bend the levers into a shallow V shape so they're activated earlier, but I opted to sand it down. If you'd rather sand too, I strongly recommend you use a coarse grade of paper, as this took abso-fucking-lutely ages to do with my fine sandpaper.
After some experimentation, best and quickest results were had by coarsening the poly pipe with sandpaper then using a straight-bladed knife to shave some more off (the knife will make a very smooth finish on the pipe; the coarse finish left by the paper will stop the blade from slipping easily). Rinse and repeat.
If you don't have a lathe or whatever, but still want a reasonably smooth and even finish, you can do what I did to make this step a bit easier: wrap some tape around a reasonably thick drillbit. I used book repair tape I stole from my old job, since I couldn't find my electrical tape (again).

Put enough on so it's a tight fit when you put the pipe piece on there, otherwise it'll slide around in irritating fashion. With everything in place I wrapped a leftover rubber upholstery strap around the trigger of my cordless drill so I could use both hands to hold the knife/sandpaper in place (if you don't have any upholstery strip stuff lying around, the cheapest option would be to rip some hair out of your girlfriend/wife's head. Or some string or some shit). I sat down, clamped the drill between my thighs and got to work - this step was highly symbolic, of course, but not uncomfortable.

Anyway sanding took fucking forever like I said and I ended up having to bend one of the microswitch levers anyway since it was being recalcitrant and I was getting pretty frustrated by that point, but, it works now so there's that.
The only real disadvantage to this mod is that the pipe will slip off the actuator during play unless you secure it with a little bit of glue. I used hot glue since I had some lying around but super glue can be had from discount shops for like $1 so that would probably work too. This makes the mod a little more permanent than I'd hoped but lol at the idea of me playing fighting games so who really cares. I could have roughened the pipe interior/actuator as well so the increased friction would hold them together better but I didn't think of that 'til this morning and it probably wouldn't have worked very well anyway, so, y'know, but anyone else who attempts this mod (yeah right) could give it a try and report back I guess.
I was also a little saddened by the fact I couldn't find anything to put over the fat end of the actuator (if you forgot, that's the part that actually presses the switches).

Here's some pictures:

Before:

After:

(nb. you can laugh at my lunch box stick if you want)

Oh and here's a picture of my stick, since that's what this thread is for:

dat wiring
hwl

Post by hwl »

First: Very nice sticks everyone!

I wanted to build a custom arcade stick from scratch, but wasn't sure how to approach it and how the acrylic would react to different kinds of treatment; so I decided to mod my MC TE round 2 stick first:

full Seimitsu
mirror washer
black acrylic

I'm quite happy with how this turned out and I'm eager to start my custom stick.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Very nice. I really like sticks that go for that sort of sleek monochrome look. My current fighting game stick is an Eightarc Fusion Ivory for the same reason.
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

emphatic wrote:
i have a question about this, it seems like you didn't put anything on the holes (the 4 other buttons + turbo/home panel).. does it get in the way when you lean your palms over it? what material was that art printed on? i'm gonna try the same thing lol
KY
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Yep, the artwork covers them. I've ordered some white hole plugs I might use though. And no, they won't get in the way.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I did the same sort of thing, but I plugged the underside of those holes with foam board cutouts, just for extra reinforcement and to prevent accidental artwork "sinking" when pressed on. Probably not necessary though.
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

and oh about the ZD Encoder...
is that the only way the stick's harness pinout can face? (i assume it will be the same for LS-58's) it seems so tight next to the button. Hehe, sorry, i'm just curious cuz i'm prepping to do the exact same mod on a madcatz SE with seimitsu's and i'm considering on ZD Encoders (seems to be the easiest out of the box pcb and it comes with everything you need, the guy who sells it is pretty awesome), i even got screw in's too... my stick and buttons haven't arrived yet so i can't check.

glad to know that the start/select buttons assembly is compatible, thanks for the pics btw
KY
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Yeah, the 5-pin connector has to facethat way and it's a bit tight but I used Seimitsu screw ins.
moh

Post by moh »

GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

HAHAHA, instantly my new favorite stick for the PS1/PS2! Wonder if you can fit a PS2 slim into that baby, would make it the ultimate PS2 stick :D
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

So much win.
moh

Post by moh »

beatsgo wrote:
HAHAHA, instantly my new favorite stick for the PS1/PS2! Wonder if you can fit a PS2 slim into that baby, would make it the ultimate PS2 stick :D
holy shit....seriously man, thats the greatest idea ever

im totally crediting you for it =]
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Finally got around to wiring up my empty Qanba Q3 shell with the new PS360+ board. Here's some crummy iphone pics:

Ahhhh, clean wiring.
Currently I have a JLF with octo gate in there, but I plan on replacing it later with an LS-58. Also has Siemitsu buttons and Qanba hole plugs.
The buttons on the side that aren't connected are turbo, mode, and an extra button that aren't going to be used for anything on the PS360+ board. But later on, if I need to upgrade this stick to something else, I can use them. Figured it was best to have everything wired now, so it'll be easy to switch later. Same goes for those plugged extra buttons (I can't stand 8-button layouts).

Later on I'm going to remove the artwork, replace it with my own and perhaps replace the top panel to a true 6-button layout.
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

opt2not wrote:Finally got around to wiring up my empty Qanba Q3 shell with the new PS360+ board. Here's some crummy iphone pics:
[img]

Ahhhh, clean wiring.
[img]
Currently I have a JLF with octo gate in there, but I plan on replacing it later with an LS-58. Also has Siemitsu buttons and Qanba hole plugs.
The buttons on the side that aren't connected are turbo, mode, and an extra button that aren't going to be used for anything on the PS360+ board. But later on, if I need to upgrade this stick to something else, I can use them. Figured it was best to have everything wired now, so it'll be easy to switch later. Same goes for those plugged extra buttons (I can't stand 8-button layouts).

Later on I'm going to remove the artwork, replace it with my own and perhaps replace the top panel to a true 6-button layout.
Nice work. Love those Qanba cases.

Where is the cheapest place to pick up that PS360+ pcb? I want one for my next project.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

RaidenViper wrote: Nice work. Love those Qanba cases.

Where is the cheapest place to pick up that PS360+ pcb? I want one for my next project.
Thanks! Me too, they're really solid.
I pre-ordered mine from canadianjoysticks, but I've heard focusattack has 'em as well. Don't really know where else, but I'm sure someone at the SRK forums can help you out.