New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Almighty

Re: New (upcoming) Scanline generator SLG3000

Post by Almighty »

you got pm :)
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hey :)

after receiving great response for the case (thanks a lot :) ) I`ve give some thougths how to bring it online.

Current state:

- Ordered the little parts like screws and that stuff
- Ordered black and transparent version with engraving

<<<<<Deleted misleading infos>>>>>>>

On my page the cases will be offered as :

- DIY Kits, for those who already have a SLG (outdated info was here, only engraved version for 15€)
- SLG already assembled (outdated info was here, engraved 66€)
- SLG without case still 49€
- Side question : Is there need of VGA gender changer or low cost vga cables?

This is my idea so far....

For those who ordered but SLG is not still shipped I give the option that you get a case as DIY or already assembled. Prices see above.

Have in mind that the first not engraved cases will delivered in 14 days. Engraved case are not ordered yet.

The SLG PCB third wave should come this week.
Last edited by bencao74 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

bencao74 wrote:Hey :)

- DIY Kits, for those who already have a SLG (about 15€, engraved 20€)
- SLG already assembled (66€, engraved 71€)
- SLG without case still 49€
- Side question : Is there need of VGA gender changer or low cost vga cables?

Great ideas , Ill have to get one of these soon ,

Personally i have loads of VGA cables so 2 females are ok for me
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Gender changers are cheap enough to buy anywhere so I wouldn't mess with the hookup. What I'm more concerned with is getting the YUV signal through without the need of a transcoder beforehand, so I'm wondering if after the next wave you'd be interested in doing another build that has a way to support it?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Almighty

Post by Almighty »

i will order a SLG already assembled (engraved 71€)

:)

you got pm also.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hey,

some news! All remaining orders will be sent on monday! This is the third wave then and again it`s nearly sold out. For those who want a case/ enclosure I can hold the order until the plexi arrives. Plexi will come in next 10 days. So I can send then the SLG with cases. Just send me an PM if you want to.

About the plexi, I`ve compared many offers and I`m sure that I`ll get some good stuff.

So all cases will have laser engravings with the SLG logo. I`ve cancelled the not engraved version. Due to this I could order more cases with engravings which reduces the price.

Coming versions are

- transparent with engraving (mirrored from the back side of the top sheet)
- black with engraving
- black base with transparent top sheet with engravings

some facts:

- All cases are laser cut, which means absolute clear polished edges.

Prices:
- DIY Kit goes now for 15,00€
- SLG with case for 66€

There will be a special white edition, but I`m still working on this.

Here some pics from my prior plexi projects :)

just as appetizer :))
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Tested two more units with the SLG3000, the Iscan Pro and the iScan Ultra. Both perform very nicely with the SLG3000 (apart from the typical higher DVDO voltage levels which need a tiny bit of work). Contrary to fagin's Cinemateq unit, both output the right sync for use with the SLG3000. Both handle 240p very nicely and much better than the HDBoxPro or clones. Testing's done and both units are for sale now ( http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35547 ).
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Any chance you'll offer a bundled scaler+SLG combo? My EE skills are severely lacking and I'd be afraid of damaging the SLG or my display.

I'm also assuming the scalers handle 480i input just fine too? Looking mainly for a way to connect my NTSC PS2 to my monitor for ease of use.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

I can't stand the fidelity and lack of contrast in MvC3's visuals, so I hooked up the SLG3000 via the HDFury and low and behold, 720p scanlines make it look a lot better. 480p looked good, but nowhere as nice.
Last edited by SGGG2 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Now that I have my Cinemateq CPO working correctly (with the SLG) I thought I would do a comparison montage:

Resolution scaling aside of connected scaler / line doubler, the SLG is such a good bit of kit.... hiding a number of flaws given by the cheaper end of the scaling market (OK.. the CPO wasn't so cheap when it came out! lol).

The further you obviously sit away from your screen, the further any issues get masked.

If we take the upper right image as the reference image (CRT - this is what we are trying to aspire to here), it is interesting to compare the various emulated scanline images from a LCD. The SLG does a great job of giving an LCD a CRT "look". It was amazing how much you *think* the scanlines should be apparant. Before I did the reference image against my Arcade CRT, the SLG scanline effect was MILES OUT (I had to go back and re-do the LCD SLG images!)! You see various images on this thread on SLG images and imo, the scanline effect is way over the top..... especially when you judge against the real thing. The scanlines on the SLG in the images above is only just on, but they match the reference material much better. :)
AcademyDL

Post by AcademyDL »

Call me crazy but I like the bottom right picture more than the top right picture which is reference.
To me it looks better than the snes to the Crt.
In my opinion, The Vividness of LCD and SLG3000 is > than Crt.
Im sold. I purchased 3 of them yesterday.

I love it. Thanks for the comparison.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

^^Matter of taste. Personally, since we miss the bloom effect, I rather have black dividing lines in white surfaces&text than grey lines on top of them.
Also highly depends on what you compare it with.
fagin

Post by fagin »

ZOM wrote:^^Matter of taste. Personally, since we miss the bloom effect, I rather have black dividing lines in white surfaces&text than grey lines on top of them.Also highly depends on what you compare it with.
I can certainly understand and appreciate that and as you say, it depends on what we compare it with. On my CRT's I like fairly high contrast ratios, so the scanlines get narrower as the the bloom is increased. That kind of scanline effect is mirrored in how I have ending up setting the scanline effect on the SLG. I did have them more pronounced on the SLG to begin with, but in comparison to the CRT it just looked too artificial. The key is that you have the facilities to adjust. :)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Fagin> I think your second scanlined picture looks very nice (Cinematic 720x480). The pixels looks more the same size than in the 640x480 shot.

I'm hoping mine will be shipped tomorrow :)
fagin

Post by fagin »

Konsolkongen wrote:Fagin> I think your second scanlined picture looks very nice (Cinematic 720x480). The pixels looks more the same size than in the 640x480 shot.

I'm hoping mine will be shipped tomorrow :)
Yes the image from the CPO is good.... it helps that it is purely line doubled (in that specific resolution of 720x480) so everything is in the correct ratio to original.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

fagin wrote: You see various images on this thread on SLG images and imo, the scanline effect is way over the top..... especially when you judge against the real thing.
Most CRT's running games at their native res either don't have such thick scanlines or you see them with heavy RGB effects in place. I'm somewhat puzzled as to why pics here don't have the SLG's filter being used.

Edit: If anyone is using image zoom, take a closeup look at that pic with the scart only. That's exactly what I'd like to see replicated.
Last edited by headlesshobbs on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The knights beard is about 4 different colours there.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
AcademyDL

Post by AcademyDL »

Fagin.

What were your Detailed filter settings on the SLG3000 for the above test.
You mentioned that they were "just on" does that mean they were on but all the way down?or set 25% ? could you be more specific.
I would like to replicate your reference here and adjust as I need.
---
I like the benefit of controlling the intensity of the scan lines depending on how far you distance yourself from the display screen.
I do some of my gaming at my arcade cabinets up close but for consoles I sit pretty far away in the living room. So the option to turn up the Scanline intensity is valuable to me.

Im using these for 3 cabinets Im building using LCDs and two are shooter/fighter/beat-em-up cabs and one is
a race cabinet. I will occasionally be using them in the living room for console gaming as well.

Arcade cab distance 16-24" inches
Racing Arcade cab 30-38" inches
Living room console gaming distance 48-96" inches

(increasing the intensity of the scanlines as I increase the viewing distance)
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

hopefully this isn't too far off topic for this thread--looking for some advice on gear to convert HDMI to VGA for the SLG3000.

I know most people pimp the Fury, but for only a few dollars more than the HDFury3 I could get a box from Moome that does 3D as well. Anyone have any experience with Moome products? I think in the long run this might be the better buy for me...more bang for the buck. Thoughts?

Also, anyone care to link to an idiot proof, clumsy fingered guide to install an "on-off" switch on the SLG3000? I have a (probably unfounded) belief I will destroy it by wiring it incorrectly, or something else obvious to everyone but me. :shock:
fagin

Post by fagin »

neorichieb1971 wrote:The knights beard is about 4 different colours there.
All the images with scanlines, whether reference or emulated are like that.
fagin

Post by fagin »

AcademyDL wrote:Fagin.

What were your Detailed filter settings on the SLG3000 for the above test.
You mentioned that they were "just on" does that mean they were on but all the way down?or set 25% ? could you be more specific.
I would like to replicate your reference here and adjust as I need.
---
I like the benefit of controlling the intensity of the scan lines depending on how far you distance yourself from the display screen.
I do some of my gaming at my arcade cabinets up close but for consoles I sit pretty far away in the living room. So the option to turn up the Scanline intensity is valuable to me.

Im using these for 3 cabinets Im building using LCDs and two are shooter/fighter/beat-em-up cabs and one is
a race cabinet. I will occasionally be using them in the living room for console gaming as well.

Arcade cab distance 16-24" inches
Racing Arcade cab 30-38" inches
Living room console gaming distance 48-96" inches

(increasing the intensity of the scanlines as I increase the viewing distance)
All RGB dips are set to ON, S4 is OFF and S5 is ON. Resistors are set approximately at 25%.

In reality the distance should be irrelevant after initial adjustment. The reference is what it is, based on contrast and brightness and what it would be regardless of the distance afterwards. The only judge would be that when setting something to reference, the same distance is used for that purpose of adjustment as it was to take the reference to begin with.

Anyway... hope the information helps. :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I wouldn't go for an expensive HDMI-VGA converter like the HDFury3 or the Moome. Those higher end converters are made for 1080p conversions, add gamma adjustment or 3D (on the Moome). What's the benefit from this ? You don't have a CRT beamer (have you?). For the SLG you need something which does 480p properly and that would be a $60 converter from eBay or a HDFury1 for $80.

For the on/off switch: there's nothing you can do wrong. On the SLG's side you don't even have to solder. Just use a screwdriver to attach two cables. Once the two cables are shortened, the SLG will turn on. Solder a simple on/off switch the other end of the cables and all's good.
fagin

Post by fagin »

HDgaming42 wrote:hopefully this isn't too far off topic for this thread--looking for some advice on gear to convert HDMI to VGA for the SLG3000.

I know most people pimp the Fury, but for only a few dollars more than the HDFury3 I could get a box from Moome that does 3D as well. Anyone have any experience with Moome products? I think in the long run this might be the better buy for me...more bang for the buck. Thoughts?

Also, anyone care to link to an idiot proof, clumsy fingered guide to install an "on-off" switch on the SLG3000? I have a (probably unfounded) belief I will destroy it by wiring it incorrectly, or something else obvious to everyone but me. :shock:
You won't do any damage sticking the DIPS in whatever position you like. You just need to play until you find a visual setting you want.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

PS3 HDMI @ 720p > HDFury > SLG3000 > ASUS LCD
Last edited by SGGG2 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Will the SLG 3000 work with a 720x576@50hz resolution too? The XRGB-3 does this and scanlines it perfectly, if the display supports the resolution that is.

I was wondering if the 50Hz and non VESA resolution will throw the SLG off guard here?

Console@240p50Hz > DVDO Edge@576p50Hz > HDfury > SLG3000 > Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler

The Gefen does accept 576p50Hz from the XRGB-3.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yes, works, but you might have to flip a dip switch, depending on how the Fury handles the syncs.

> Console@240p50Hz

That would be 288p of course...
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Fudoh wrote:I wouldn't go for an expensive HDMI-VGA converter like the HDFury3 or the Moome. Those higher end converters are made for 1080p conversions, add gamma adjustment or 3D (on the Moome). What's the benefit from this ? You don't have a CRT beamer (have you?). For the SLG you need something which does 480p properly and that would be a $60 converter from eBay or a HDFury1 for $80.

For the on/off switch: there's nothing you can do wrong. On the SLG's side you don't even have to solder. Just use a screwdriver to attach two cables. Once the two cables are shortened, the SLG will turn on. Solder a simple on/off switch the other end of the cables and all's good.
No, no CRT beamer. :( I'd love to mess with some 3D for the fun of it--I'm always on the lookout for a CRT monitor that can do 120Hz. Almost ready to pull the trigger on the Nvidia 3D kit (on sale ATM). Not big on 3D movies, but I'd like to try the gaming-side.

Is this thing just an HDBoxPro or Lenkeng rebrand? For $80 it seems like it could do the job well enough, no? Any experience with this one? Wait--the last pic actually says "HDBox Series"--though with Chinese packaging I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean much.
fagin wrote:You won't do any damage sticking the DIPS in whatever position you like. You just need to play until you find a visual setting you want.
Thanks! :)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Fudoh wrote:Yes, works, but you might have to flip a dip switch, depending on how the Fury handles the syncs.

> Console@240p50Hz

That would be 288p of course...
:)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Is this thing just an HDBoxPro or Lenkeng rebrand? For $80 it seems like it could do the job well enough, no?
never seen this one before, but it looks promising enough.
fagin

Post by fagin »

I always wonder why people try to place scanlines on a game that is written and designed for HD resolutions! :lol: That's like downscaling a Bluray to DVD quality! :mrgreen: