Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galaga 88

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ZOM

Re: Shmupmame v2.2, lagless Ketsui, Doj and Doj BL

Post by ZOM »

nimitz wrote:funny you mention that, I'm working on it right now.
HolyshitIloveyou!
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair »

Would the regular 140u2 highscore diff go right on top of the source or would it need to be changed?

Would it need to be compiled different to regular MAME too?
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

You know, the last time I was really into shmups was the time I played Batrider quite seriously. I was young, willing to learn, filled with enthusiasm and virility. There was a world of shmups out there and I was willing to beat every single one of them!

But then, life happened. I got comfortable. I got other things to do. Rather than fighting my way through clouds of bullets with razor-sharp d-pad taps, I slouched on the couch with some lame little GBA games, played some throwaway PC games, and wondered why I used to TRY so HARD back then. I almost laughed at my childlike enthusiasm. I was an adult now, too consumed with real life to bother with nerdy little japanese shooting games.

But now I sit here, switching between DOJBL and Ketsui, both with savestates for each level and boss on my keyboard, my Saturn USB pad in my palms, and suddely I feel this weird circulation in my pants again. Chest hair starts growing. My voice dropped two octaves. After ten minutes I realized I needed a shave or else my d-pad would get caught in the sprawling lumberjack beard that has grown since I started playing. Suddenly I felt this weird urge to chomp down some raw beef to give me enough animal protein to support my rapidly twitching thumbs. The grey fog over my eyes had lifted, and I started seeing again - blue bullets, pink bullets, stars, hypers, green giant boxes. Suddenly I realized that I wasn´t dead inside - I have merely been asleep.

These two games are the ultimate cock pushup. Thanks to everyone who made this possible. I owe you.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair »

Ok, no matter how I try this is always fails here:

Code: Select all

Compiling src/mame/drivers/pgm.c...
src/mame/drivers/pgm.c: In function 'void driver_init_ket(running_machine*)':
src/mame/drivers/pgm.c:5820: error: 'pgm_ket_decrypt' was not declared in this s
cope
src/mame/drivers/pgm.c: In function 'void driver_init_espgal(running_machine*)':

src/mame/drivers/pgm.c:5827: error: 'pgm_espgal_decrypt' was not declared in thi
s scope
make: *** [obj/windows/cabmame/mame/drivers/pgm.o] Error 1
As of this attempt my order goes like this:

mame 140 source (no "u"s)
shmupmame patches (just overwriting)
cabmame diffs

Usually I don't add the cabmame stuff though so no idea why it's the same every time, I understand from the first post this is just a modified 140 only right?
IseeThings

Post by IseeThings »

you need u1 and u2. those functions only added in u2
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair »

nimitz wrote:Source code (tested with mame 140 only)
This threw me.

So I have to apply both diffs?
throne_of_wolves

Post by throne_of_wolves »

*cough*
anji2128

Post by anji2128 »

Getting my hands on Ketsui finally just makes me want the PCB so much more. It's so smooth and fun. Thanks a bunch!
throne_of_wolves

Post by throne_of_wolves »

Playing Dai Ou Jou here. Glorious stuff. The soundtrack is absolutely sublime.
autumndrone

Post by autumndrone »

RetroRepair wrote:So I have to apply both diffs?
I compiled a nonui version without u1/u2 diffs, refer to zakks post on page 12

mame 0.140 source
hiscore / nag screen patch
shmupmame source
edit pgm.h / mamedriv.c
compile

btw are 0.140 cabmame diffs available?
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

RetroRepair wrote:
nimitz wrote:Source code (tested with mame 140 only)
This threw me.

So I have to apply both diffs?
This threw me too. Just apply the edits that zakk posted and it should compile (I didn't need to use the mameui source, only vanilla mame 140).
david peterson
Banned User

Post by david peterson »

I have tbh and say i think i prefer ddp black label to ketsui .
anji2128

Post by anji2128 »

I'll have to give BL a shot, I've only played the PS2 release.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

are pgm games supported in lagless99pro? 2nd post says an eeprom is needed in the nvramfolder. Not sure where I'll find that, or what else I need to do to get games running.
=/
david peterson
Banned User

Post by david peterson »

Just use shmupmame?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

david peterson wrote:Just use shmupmame?
He is referring to the build of shmupmame built on mame .99.
david peterson
Banned User

Post by david peterson »

ah gotcha my bad.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Kingbuzzo wrote:are pgm games supported in lagless99pro? 2nd post says an eeprom is needed in the nvramfolder. Not sure where I'll find that, or what else I need to do to get games running.
Unfortunately not. ROM files with EEPROMs can be found on the internet, otherwise I heard from somewhere than you can unzip your existing files, copy the .nv files in the nvram folder into their respective games and have them named as "romimagenamehere-eeprom.bin". I'm probably wrong but that and possibly renaming the ROM folders to whatever they've been changed to in later versions of MAME (battleg got changed to bgaregga for example) is all you need to really do. Beware of Shmupmame v2.2's performance issues if you have a not-so-great PC as well.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

2.2 works well enough. I just really prefer 0.99's scanline emulation. the .png files just don't pull it off well for me =/
=/
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Kingbuzzo wrote:2.2 works well enough. I just really prefer 0.99's scanline emulation. the .png files just don't pull it off well for me =/
Fair enough. I still keep the v99 pro build because it runs Thunder Force AC better on my legacy machine than the newer builds.

Also, looks like we may need another update soon to take into account the improved changes for ESPGaluda, the ROM is dumped good and the latest video says it runs on an interim build of MAME, implying further improvements in emulation. Great news, but I consider the performance issues to be more important in terms of priority.
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

BPzeBanshee wrote:the latest video says it runs on an interim build of MAME, implying further improvements in emulation.
This is an interim build of MAME we're using right now, the last official build was u2 which was the Back Label edition.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Hmm...

It's so strange... I downloaded the v99 build from one of the first posts in this thread, but I simply cannot run it on my win 7, 64 Bit, System. As I try to run the 32-exe like in other versions, a window pops open, telling me it hasn't found something (with a number-code, I think I must write this down)...

Is there another versin of the v99 build available somewhere? I sooooooo need to be able to save states in EspRa.De., otherwise I'll never make progress in this game... (Another reason why I switched to MushiFutari BL...)
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

Drachenherz wrote:Hmm...

It's so strange... I downloaded the v99 build from one of the first posts in this thread, but I simply cannot run it on my win 7, 64 Bit, System. As I try to run the 32-exe like in other versions, a window pops open, telling me it hasn't found something (with a number-code, I think I must write this down)...

Is there another versin of the v99 build available somewhere? I sooooooo need to be able to save states in EspRa.De., otherwise I'll never make progress in this game... (Another reason why I switched to MushiFutari BL...)
this happens to me sometimes, then it just goes away after a reboot.
=/
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

snip
Last edited by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote:when playing Ketsui on Mame, the game starts over after i used my credit and doesnt allow the continue screen to pop up..Is there any way i can change it to freeplay on MAME? thanks
Press F2 to go to the Settings Menu, there choose "Default"..
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

I've asked a lot of questions about this before, but I still never quite got the answers I was looking for. I'd love to be using this version to power my MAME cabinet since it plays shmups really well and that's mostly what I play and it also runs DOJ and Ketsui now it would be nice to have, but whenever I use this as the executable to run my games on my cab, the shmups work really well, but then half of the non-shmup games and even a few of the shmups won't even boot up, and these games all boot under my current MAME executable, which is just a random one I downloaded somewhere. Is it just that this build of MAME was only made with certain shmups in mind and the others were completely ignored to where they won't run at all?

If anyone can really answer this, I'd like to have a little more info, cause I would be using this a lot more if it seemed to work with a lot of the games I want to play.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
JGcontraman

Post by JGcontraman »

This looks really nice and all. My only problem with this is the whole list that pops up in association to location tracking of files. Would of been a lot better if this was simply configured like the normal mame. It seems like another Kawaks. Being said, it seems way too time consuming to set up and I am curious if there will be a more simple version in the future. Otherwise very nicely done. Just wanted to make that mention. And if this question was already answered in the past 13 pages I didn't bother reading, I apologize.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

JGcontraman wrote:This looks really nice and all. My only problem with this is the whole list that pops up in association to location tracking of files. Would of been a lot better if this was simply configured like the normal mame. It seems like another Kawaks. Being said, it seems way too time consuming to set up and I am curious if there will be a more simple version in the future. Otherwise very nicely done. Just wanted to make that mention. And if this question was already answered in the past 13 pages I didn't bother reading, I apologize.
I found it as normal to set up as normal MAME to be honest. If it's the properties window looking different that you got problems with, it can be switched to the normal version in the options menu.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:I've asked a lot of questions about this before, but I still never quite got the answers I was looking for. I'd love to be using this version to power my MAME cabinet since it plays shmups really well and that's mostly what I play and it also runs DOJ and Ketsui now it would be nice to have, but whenever I use this as the executable to run my games on my cab, the shmups work really well, but then half of the non-shmup games and even a few of the shmups won't even boot up, and these games all boot under my current MAME executable, which is just a random one I downloaded somewhere. Is it just that this build of MAME was only made with certain shmups in mind and the others were completely ignored to where they won't run at all?

If anyone can really answer this, I'd like to have a little more info, cause I would be using this a lot more if it seemed to work with a lot of the games I want to play.
Well, do those other titles come from a corresponding rom set? IIRC, the 2.2 build of ShmupMAME is based on MAME 0.140 or so, so if you've had a MAME setup using a 0.99 rom set or so, some titles won't work now.

If your cabinet uses a frontend, is it not possible to use multiple versions of MAME? If that's the case, just put ShmupMAME 2.2 in a dedicated folder with the PGM games in the rom folder and use your working MAME setup for the rest. Or refresh your rom set to a ShmupMAME matching one.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Time for a new logo?

Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.