NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
zak

Re: New Neo Geo / Dreamcast Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by zak »

Does this need a rotated monitor (tate'd)?
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

No. It's 4:3, what some people like to call vertizontal.
THE

Post by THE »

antron wrote:
THE wrote:This is a CD-ROM based product and might not be compatible with some Dreamcast™ consoles manufactured after October 2000.
so that is the case. did you guys actually find any units that wouldn't load it?
No, I didn't find such a system. Those a very scarce, production was stopped shortly after the last revision. Only a few Japanese systems are affected. You can see the production date on the backside of the console.
The future is 2D
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

So, you buy both versions because they have different covers or so you can save one? I still don't get it.
SWY: Games are just for fun
RHE

Post by RHE »

Many of our customers are both players AND collectors to the same time. They tend to buy both editions anway. With the bundle they can save some cash.
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Okay. I will probably just get the LE and save even more. :D
SWY: Games are just for fun
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

I'm buying the double pack, gonna preorder any day now..

Excited to play this.
devil_man

Post by devil_man »

Can we expect new modes for the Dreamcast version ?
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I was on there website, and I don't see a "consumer" version of the MVS cart. I just see the 600 euro arcade kit. Is there a consumer version? I could get the DC version, but I am already thinking of getting a MVS mobo sometime in the future and I was thinking about possibly getting this game for it.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
THE

Post by THE »

The consumer version is currently out of stock. It may return in the future though...
The future is 2D
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I could be interested in a consumer mvs as well.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Timm,

are you guys still on track for a 2010 release of the Fast Striker DC version or will it be 2011 ?
THE

Post by THE »

Fudoh wrote:Timm,

are you guys still on track for a 2010 release of the Fast Striker DC version or will it be 2011 ?
Yes the port is basically done, production starts in December.
The future is 2D
devil_man

Post by devil_man »

so no new features for the dc version ? no 2players mode ?
clp

Post by clp »

devil_man wrote:so no new features for the dc version ? no 2players mode ?
Dude there not cave , lets just focus on getting the game out first.
burgerkingdiamond

Is there any reason to hold out for a MVS return as far as gameplay is concerned? I have a DC hooked up to a cab. So the experience would be the same as with a neo geo cart, assuming everything else is the same between the two versions.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
THE

Post by THE »

so no new features for the dc version ? no 2players mode ?
We are thinking about a 2PL mode for Novice and Original Mode. I'm not sure if this works out well. You can't just put a 2. player in the game and everything works perfect. There is a lot of additional enemy logic needed and shit tons of beta testing. None of our beta testers is into 2PL shmups playing either, I personally don't know anyone who plays shmups with 2pl at all...

However, we will include probably 2PL modes in the future games from the beginning.
burgerkingdiamond wrote:Is there any reason to hold out for a MVS return as far as gameplay is concerned? I have a DC hooked up to a cab. So the experience would be the same as with a neo geo cart, assuming everything else is the same between the two versions.
Well that's a philosophic question. To me, Mame hooked up to a Cab is still inferior compared to the original PCB.
But if your game experience is solely based on game play than it's probably the same. It's a matter of taste.

But if you think that a NEO GEO cart can be replaced with an optical disc than you probably never had a cart in your hand... :wink:
The future is 2D
clp

Post by clp »

So has anyone heard any feedback on this game from the arcades ? hows it doing what are players saying?
ave

Post by ave »

I'd be interested in it as well. Did Arcadia report on this? I mean it's a shooter and playable in Akihabara... and on the Neo Geo. Ignoring it because it's gaijin-stuff would be beyond an acceptable level of ignorance.
THE ETERNAL
clp

Post by clp »

Ave rhe did actually reply but then ninja deleted his post after so im guessing he accidentally included information not for release yet , which i wont say just in case but it was basically along the lines of good feedback but a little to easy for the Japanese players so it will be getting a difficulty update at some point .
THE

Post by THE »

As you can see on our Twitter, there is some media coverage about Fast Striker in Japan:

http://twitter.com/ngdevteam

It's on major news sites and blogs:

http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articl ... ws021.html
http://sazanami.net/20101015-neogeo-mvs-fast-striker/
The future is 2D
burgerkingdiamond

slightly related.... I just got Pink Bullets for DC today. I've been able to play for about an hour. I'm really happy to have bought this game. The packaging is really cool, the music is AWESOME, really nice colorful/old school graphics (I can't wait to see what it looks like when my VGA box gets in), and the game is pretty fun (I find it a lot easier to play with a pad than on my cab. rotating left/right just seems more intuitive using the L and R buttons). This game, DS, Gradius V, Shiki II, and a few others are the only 'real' copies of any shmups that I have (small percentage compared to MAME, and my JTAG), so it's nice to have another hard copy in the collection. After playing this I can say that I will most definitely be picking up Fast Striker. Good work Sir.

BTW, the music at the end of every boss battle sounds (If memory serves) exactly like the tunes from SOLDNER-X. At least that keeps popping in my head when I hear it. I have to fire up SOLDNER and compare them directly. Am I the only one that's noticed this (probably the only one who's played SOLDNER.... haha, game sucks).
Let's Ass Kick Together!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:probably the only one who's played SOLDNER.... haha, game sucks).
you're not alone.
and no, the game doesn't suck. :?
and the similarity is probably due to the same composer working on both titles. ;)
burgerkingdiamond

well, there's a lot of good about Soldner-X, and Soldner-X2 is a lot better. However the second boss of the first Soldner breaks the game in my opinion. It is the single reason I quit playing. Anyway, it had a lot of potential, maybe the word suck is too strong, but in the end it didn't deliver like it could/should have.

but, that is interesting that it's the same guy doing music on both games. My memory must be pretty good, it's been a long while since I played Soldner. You know, if NG:DEV could collaborate with the dudes that did Soldner they could really have something cool, cuz Soldner's graphics are beautiful (a lot better than in the gameplay department). Also, is the same guy doing the Fast Striker music?
Let's Ass Kick Together!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:However the second boss of the first Soldner breaks the game in my opinion. It is the single reason I quit playing.
Sorry to keep this off-topic but....
The 2nd boss used to be my nemesis as well. However, after a while I could beat him without losing almost any health! :)
My strategy:

----------------------
1. The boss can only be hit with spikes from the ceiling.
2. All spikes will fall if you stay below them after a certain amount of time has passed.
3. Try to clear all spikes on the left side of the screen as fast as you can so they don't get in your way if you need to move (make them fall by staying below them - easy and slow dodges here).
4. Always stay low, in the middle of the screen. Almost all of the attacks from the boss can be avoided by staying very low, in the middle of the screen.
5. Do not shoot. Only shoot if the boss spits minions in the lower part of the screen. If you need to shoot, try to use the beam weapon so that you don't hit the spikes to the right side of the chamber.
6. Be patient. When the boss sticks its neck out, just move forwards below him so that the spikes fall and give him a great deal of damage.
7. Repeat steps 4/5/6. Patience is the key. It is possible to kill him with minimum damage, sometimes without even being hit. If you time the fall of the spikes well you can even get the S ranking. :)
----------------------

As for Fast Striker, it seems there's no info regarding the soundtrack.
Anyway, it would be nice to have some more Rafael Dyll stuff.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Did the same guy who made Last Hope's soundtrack also do Fast Striker? I really dig the tunes in LH, I plan on getting LH:PB+OST soon. I only pre-ordered FS:SE... Hmmm if the music is going to be great I might have to switch my pre-order to LE.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
ex.machina

Post by ex.machina »

chempop wrote:Did the same guy who made Last Hope's soundtrack also do Fast Striker? I really dig the tunes in LH, I plan on getting LH:PB+OST soon. I only pre-ordered FS:SE... Hmmm if the music is going to be great I might have to switch my pre-order to LE.
No, afaik Fast Striker's music was not done by Rafael Dyll.
burgerkingdiamond

I'm pissed kind of because I didn't know how good the music to LHPB is. I would have ordered the special edition with the OST. Now I'm thinking about buying that and then trying to sell the copy I just bought.... Ughh.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
THE

Post by THE »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:I'm pissed kind of because I didn't know how good the music to LHPB is. I would have ordered the special edition with the OST. Now I'm thinking about buying that and then trying to sell the copy I just bought.... Ughh.
Dude, there is no special edition of Pink Bullets :o

But you can order the Last Hope Complete Soundtrack here:
http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info ... ucts_id=33

Fast Striker was composed by two musicians KeyOD and CJoe.

Rafael Dyll is currently doing the last finishing touches on the awesome soundtrack of our upcoming "old school" Jump'n'Shoot game.

Btw. you can check out the music of our games on our Youtube channel, due to recording issues the music suffers a little bit though:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NGDEVTEAM
The future is 2D
burgerkingdiamond

yeah I mis spoke, I meant special edition in the sense that it came bundled with the OST. I realize that it's the same game. oops. Anyway, I didn't buy the game direct from your store, so I didn't realize that you sold the OST seperate on the site. I'll pick it up when I get the Fast Striker Double Bundle.

Thanks
Let's Ass Kick Together!