What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by O. Van Bruce »

Anyone here plays DotA 2? besides Ketsui and BlazBlue is the only thing I'm playing at the moment. Would be nice to find some fellow shmupers and form a team.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I am still massively enjoying System Shock 1 - I just made it to the Security level after jettisoning the Beta Grove.

This game is really something else. It amazes me how complex a game like this is for its release date of 1994. Every step of the way I adore it more ardently.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

BIL wrote:^Interesting, don't think I've ever seen that happen (SS is such a strictly patterned game that even little deviations stick out to me). Always liked those bastards' uniqueness in the series' history - other than their original Contra III appearance, there aren't many other enemies that don't kill instantly on contact.

My favourite method for that bit is to lock aim to the upper-right and jump forward constantly while blasting the flamethrower; usually you'll cut right through any that happen to grab you.
Yeah, that caught me completely off-guard. I had already switched to the grenades and was getting in position to destroy the top piece of the turtle, when all of a sudden the bug scoops me out of the air and drags me away. I must have jumped right into his path as he was exiting the screen. :|

I'll probably play Contra III next, so I hope they aren't the cause of any more strange deaths...
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Have been enjoying Disgaea 3 and 4. I've cleared most of the 3's postgame and am early on in 4's.
zeroroute

Post by zeroroute »

Point Blank DS. Nothing beats a wiimote or lightgun though, especially with the clay pigeon minigame.
Youtube: Iluvvideogames
mortified_penguin

Post by mortified_penguin »

Planescape:Torment. Really trying to work through my GoG backlog and it's nice when a classic lives up to the hype.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Played some 3rd Strike today. I still can't parry.

Video of me playing Ryu

I started using VGA instead of hdmi on my xbox and I don't even notice the lag anymore.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Sega Ages vol.30 Galaxy Force II Special Extended Edition [PS2]
I love you M2 <3
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Got a nicer Punisher 1CC, with one (stupid) miss. Decent play for the first three levels, messy stuff for the other three which I still have to refine. Managed to get the super piledriver infinite against Kingpin and I figured out how to reliably get close to him without being smacked by one of his 40% damage, 2-frame long range slaps, so I can do something other than bombing the fuck out of him.

I'll try to get the 1LC before moving on to Alien vs. Predator (I'm playing a few credits here and there, but I need to fully focus on it since it's much harder and complex than The Punisher).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Been playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii, Kirby's Adventure 3D Classics 3DS, and Pushmo 3DS. Getting close to the end of Pushmo (though download puzzles should keep me busy). Good stuff with some tricky puzzles.
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

hey guys just saw this site and maybe some people want to play this:
http://mechcommander.co.uk/index/
mechcommander 1 and 2 are freeware now

not really news but kinda under the rock stuff here :D
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Went to see the Game of Thrones exhibit (which was awesome), and for some reason got the urge to play Oblivion.

One of the first Blades missions where you have to meet a guy in a tavern, I sat down beside him and when I was trying to get up I accidentally stole an apple and the guards beat the shit out of me.

I really want to love the Elder Scrolls games, and I think Skyrim has so far done it the best, but fuck I really hate it when they break, and they break so easily.

Maybe I'll play The Witcher instead, seems more Game of Thrones-esque anyway.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

King of Fighters 13 [X360].

aaaah
I have an Xtokki and a PS1 pad, so I'm fine. One of my other friends has a stick for the 360 so he's fine. We are the only two playing out of the rest of my friends because they'd be using the 360 pad, and it is horrible.

And I need to pick this game up so I can practice, I don't know any combos in this game [I play 2002 religiously, but that's it, and I'm not even that good there], and I'm losing because my friend knows a few and can pull them off consistently [thus, more damage in equal time == me losing].

Speaking of 2002, another one of my friends plays Mai, and keeps doing that thing that grabs you out of the air and tends to cross you up when you're on the ground, and I don't know what to do against it, bleh. I usually play Kula, Athena, and [Terry/Kyo/Benimaru].
The rest of his team is fairly easy, but if he puts Mai last, I've probably fucked up enough during previous rounds that I can't hold out to win.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Tropico 4 (PC)

All the SimCity press made me hunger for a city sim, and Tropico 4 Complete was on steam sale. Yay. Pretty damn good, actually. My cities are still insanely chaotic and poorly laid out (for some reason placing buildings is far harder than setting zones, apparently), but I'm getting the hang of it. The systems are pretty well-balanced, although switching to a pure manufacturing economy really throws your bottom line in every direction. I'm guessing the ideal developed economy is manufacturing + tourism.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Trying to 1CC Story Mode on Arcana Heart 3. I know that must sound laughable to the guys on here who are into fighting games and play them competitively but trying to 1CC them is about as far as I go.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Mero wrote:Trying to 1CC Story Mode on Arcana Heart 3. I know that must sound laughable to the guys on here who are into fighting games and play them competitively but trying to 1CC them is about as far as I go.
Back when I thought arcade games were impossible to beat, 1cc'ing fighting games was all I did. I dare anyone to clear SNK vs Capcom (including the secret heaven/hell stage) or KoF 2001 if they think beating fighting games is a joke.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
KAI

Post by KAI »

I dare anyone to 1CC Art of Fighting 2 or Samurai Spirits 3.

Psychic Killer Taromaru [Saturn].

I'm reaching the last boss with one credit, but I still can't 1CC it.
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

so i was looking at street fighter 4 on pc and realised I didnt have any recent fighting game (only have those on mame so far) and would love to have a decent one on my pc.
Is street fighter 4 my only option on pc?
Im mostly searching on steam but wouldn't mind any other media.
anyone got info on fighting games on pc with online mode cause I have no friends available here to play with.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Aguraki wrote:so i was looking at street fighter 4 on pc and realised I didnt have any recent fighting game (only have those on mame so far) and would love to have a decent one on my pc.
Is street fighter 4 my only option on pc?
Im mostly searching on steam but wouldn't mind any other media.
anyone got info on fighting games on pc with online mode cause I have no friends available here to play with.
There's supercade and the other (better) one whose name escapes me... (EDIT: GGPO) anyway, basically mame with good netcode. Has most of the Capcom & SNK fighters from the MVS/CPS1&2 eras. Should keep you busy a long while. :wink:

Skullgirls will be coming out eventually for PC. Hopefully with a better audience than it got for XBLA. Steam also has SFxT, which got mixed reviews.

Those are the only ones I know w/ netplay.

Edit: Google yields: MK Arcade Kollection (MK 1-3), and VF2 (via Genesis pack 3). No idea how the netplay is, if any. Also, ISTR a netcode project for the Touhou fighting games. Might wanna check doujins in general.
Last edited by Moniker on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Ougon Musoukyoku Cross, Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code 1.07 and Blazblue Calamity Trigger are available on PC and they have online support.

Apparently, Under Night In-Birth will be ported to PC this year.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

I'm currently playing the ROM hunting game. It's not very fun because the PC-98 ROMs are all too well hidden and the ones I do find don't work half the time. Oh well I guess 2hu and Rusty is all I need anyway.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
null1024

Post by null1024 »

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:I'm currently playing the ROM hunting game. It's not very fun because the PC-98 ROMs are all too well hidden and the ones I do find don't work half the time. Oh well I guess 2hu and Rusty is all I need anyway.
Yeah, doing anything PC-98 emulation related is more work than I can be bothered with a lot of the time, haha.

either way, Mystic Square [and maybe Night Slave] is the only thing you need~
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Night Slave is a cool game. If ASV had tits in them I totally would have checked them out sooner. The only other games I found were Ceramic Ball and Last Breakers which may actually be pretty tough on Mania mode assuming it's not just the weird directional placement that's getting me.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

I am playing Modern Warfare 2, ah the good old days where skill was not needed LOL. But damn, the multiplayer is so broken and frustrating. I never did manage to get a tactical nuke but today I came so close. I managed to go 35-4 on a game of headquarters on Quarry by using a class with Famas w/ red dot sight, One man army, stopping power, and commando. I got 2 harriers and 2 chopper gunners, but the helicopter pilot does not know how to fly LOL, so I barely got any kills with it. Good times, good times 8)
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Played some black ops 2. Playing against people who are terrible is really fun. I think the full auto smr is probably my favorite gun.

http://youtu.be/l4lEHI5K22E
null1024

Post by null1024 »

King of Fighters '98 [Neo-Geo/MAME].

Trying to get used to this PS3 controller, it does what I want 2/3ds of the time [it feels really bad when you want to hit someone with a Power Geyser and it doesn't come out even though you definitely did the motion [or worse, it comes out ages after you did the input because you mashed it out again because it didn't happen the first time]].
I should probably just invest in a stick, I have converters to let me use it on whatever... ideally I'd get a Namco PS1 stick. I really need to sell off some of these things I have [busted Saturn, semi-busted PSP, old N64, etc] so I can buy more stuff.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

I 1cc'd Contra 3, Contra: Hard Corps, and Contra 4. I don't plan on playing Neo or the PS1 games, so I think I've gone through every entry that might interest me. Time to rank them!

Hard Corps = Hard Corps: Uprising > Shattered Soldier > Contra 3 > Contra NES > Contra 4 > Super Contra

HC, HCU & SS are definitely the top-tier games in the series. These are the three that I'll be coming back to.
Contra 3 is good, but the two Mode 7 stages drag it down a bit.
Contra NES is really simple in comparison to the later games, but it's still pretty fun to play.
Contra 4 is completely unremarkable, but at least it has great graphics. The grapple hook isn't too bad either, I wouldn't mind seeing it in future games.
The only thing I like about Super Contra is the music. I'm a little curious to see if they improved the game with the NES port, but I can't be bothered.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

KOF02UM, KOF13 [X360].

2002UM is easily one of my favorite fighters. Had a handful of rounds in it. All my friends wanted to play KOF13 though, and I'm fairly crap at it, don't have a feel for the cancels in it... once I buy this game I'll be able to practice shit...
Rob

Post by Rob »

iconoclast wrote:I'm a little curious to see if they improved the game with the NES port, but I can't be bothered.
I recommend being bothered. Complete the set.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Super Contra's hard mode (second loop on Japanese) is pretty wicked, it adds some difficulty if you needed it. The NES version is far and away better-known and more popular, not sure it's better, but it's still worth checking out. I would pop it in an emulator before paying the going rates for the FC version though.