NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
zillion.ika

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by zillion.ika »

EmperorZelos wrote: I meant like you got a board that is universal so if you put it into any console near its graphical thing it would be able to turn it to HDMI without substantial lag.
You could always just buy a Micomsoft XRGB mini Framemeister, SCART cables for all your RGB-capable consoles, and a SCART to whatever DIN connector the framemeister uses. That'll get you HDMI with minimal lag.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Won't be as minimal as going with the HDMI NES, though :wink:

NES RGB is a great project, so is the HDMI NES - both serve different interests.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

markfrizb wrote:TO all the people that will be installing the NESRGB pcb, a reminder that this would be a good time to replace the 18 year old caps that are on the boards.

mark

That is a valid idea. Anything else that i might want to look at and replace whilst i have the NES apart, have a new cart connector to fit in, so i dont get the dredded flashing. Is there a cap kit you can buy for the NES??
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

EmperorZelos wrote:I meant like you got a board that is universal so if you put it into any console near its graphical thing it would be able to turn it to HDMI without substantial lag.
NES and N64 alone would need a lot of soldering with additional hardware to the board beforehand. I don't really know if that'd be feasible at all.
Ed Oscuro wrote:Won't be as minimal as going with the HDMI NES, though :wink:

NES RGB is a great project, so is the HDMI NES - both serve different interests.
Didn't we already mention that that had been scrapped.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

BitFaced wrote:
EmperorZelos wrote:I meant like you got a board that is universal so if you put it into any console near its graphical thing it would be able to turn it to HDMI without substantial lag.
NES and N64 alone would need a lot of soldering with additional hardware to the board beforehand. I don't really know if that'd be feasible at all.
Ed Oscuro wrote:Won't be as minimal as going with the HDMI NES, though :wink:

Didn't we already mention that that had been scrapped.
It's not scrapped, it's just not what people thought it was going to be. It became an FPGA clone console in its current form.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47634
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

eightbitminiboss wrote:It's not scrapped, it's just not what people thought it was going to be. It became an FPGA clone console in its current form.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47634
Sorry I thought you were talking physical hardware as that was what the discussion was originally coming from.
EmperorZelos

Post by EmperorZelos »

zillion.ika wrote:
EmperorZelos wrote: I meant like you got a board that is universal so if you put it into any console near its graphical thing it would be able to turn it to HDMI without substantial lag.
You could always just buy a Micomsoft XRGB mini Framemeister, SCART cables for all your RGB-capable consoles, and a SCART to whatever DIN connector the framemeister uses. That'll get you HDMI with minimal lag.
I do have that :D Its awesome
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

EmperorZelos wrote:
zillion.ika wrote:
I do have that :D Its awesome
Theeeeeeeeeeeen why'd you ask in the first place? Out of curiousity are you getting a HDMI NES or N64 DVI/VGA/HDMI board?
EmperorZelos

Post by EmperorZelos »

BitFaced wrote:Theeeeeeeeeeeen why'd you ask in the first place? Out of curiousity are you getting a HDMI NES or N64 DVI/VGA/HDMI board?
Currently I am not, I just like the thought of skipping a middle man and those HDMI NESes I have seen doesn't interest me, might just aswell get an emulator then.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

It's not an emulator...it basically is "as real" a console you can get without it being first-party components. The CPUs are just implemented in a different fashion than usual.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

I say you could probably just get a HDMI N64 thing and run it through the Fraimester and then you'd be set.
KKEYSER4063

Post by KKEYSER4063 »

BitFaced wrote:I say you could probably just get a HDMI N64 thing and run it through the Fraimester and then you'd be set.
If you get the HDMI n64 board, wouldn't that make the 'meister superfluous? If you were looking to scale 480p HDMI to 1080p, Framemeister isn't the best (or cheapest) choice anyways.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Ed Oscuro wrote:It's not an emulator...it basically is "as real" a console you can get without it being first-party components. The CPUs are just implemented in a different fashion than usual.
It is a very gray area. Since without knowing exactly how it is implemented you can argue that everything is inside the FPGA and it is just an FPGA implementation of a software emulator, tuned for this purpose.

If it is just the CPU and PPU implemented differently with the rest of the support HW or an original NES, then you could just say that.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

KKEYSER4063 wrote:
BitFaced wrote:I say you could probably just get a HDMI N64 thing and run it through the Fraimester and then you'd be set.
If you get the HDMI n64 board, wouldn't that make the 'meister superfluous? If you were looking to scale 480p HDMI to 1080p, Framemeister isn't the best (or cheapest) choice anyways.
I think it outputs 240p HDMI, so unless your HD TV supports that you'd need a scaler.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

it certainly doesn't. You won't find any TV that would support 240p through HDMI.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Damn - I missed out on buying one of your PCBs :( Please tell me that you'll be making another Batch, Viletim.
More Bromances = safer people
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

what kind of question is that ? We're talking the hottest selling piece of homebrewn tech in gaming history. He'll do new batches until he doesn't know any longer where to put all the money. Seriously.
KKEYSER4063

Post by KKEYSER4063 »

BitFaced wrote:
KKEYSER4063 wrote:
I think it outputs 240p HDMI, so unless your HD TV supports that you'd need a scaler.
I don't think he's posted the output res yet - sounds like the kinks are still being worked out. And, as Fudoh says, 240p over HDMI is non-existant in the market - wouldn't be much point in releasing a board that requires additional pricey hardware to have any functionality.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

With the NES often using the full 240 lines of resolution, 480p and 720p are easy to implement and will certainly be supported. 1080p on the other hand is already much more complicated.
BubbaMc

Post by BubbaMc »

Very interesting!

I'd love to see something like this for the C64.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

KKEYSER4063 wrote:I don't think he's posted the output res yet - sounds like the kinks are still being worked out. And, as Fudoh says, 240p over HDMI is non-existant in the market - wouldn't be much point in releasing a board that requires additional pricey hardware to have any functionality.
...Crap, I think you may have actually been right, but I could of sworn somewhere I heard that it was going to be 240p HDMI. He was going to say it wasn't going to be a linedoubler and that it has the option of upscaling. I'll go E-mail him about it...
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Fudoh wrote:what kind of question is that ? We're talking the hottest selling piece of homebrewn tech in gaming history. He'll do new batches until he doesn't know any longer where to put all the money. Seriously.
I certainly hope Tim reaches that level of success with this! It's definitely possible, especially if that first batch he blew through in 2 days was a good size.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Artemio wrote:Since without knowing exactly how it is implemented you can argue that everything is inside the FPGA and it is just an FPGA implementation of a software emulator, tuned for this purpose.
Lucky for you I am here to dispel the clouds of uncertainty! From the project's developer:
This is my dream project (no, the add on board was never the big one) and has been in active dev for a full year not including planning. It is the main reason why I shut down so much of the website and don't have time for other projects. The add on board could still happen using what I have developed but certainly not during 2014. It hit problems in Feb that made certain TV not work. It was essentially done, unless you had a Samsung. Rather than spending the time to fix that I moved onto the real project:

It is a clone that uses an FPGA to run the whole system, no software emulators or NOAC. Includes NES and Famicom slots, they are the same thing. Other cool stuff like Game Genie and Scoreboard built in.
It has 5 control ports with built in Four Score plus the Famicom expansion port.
It can run HDMI out for HD quality video, CD quality audio, and no frame buffers that add lag. Other than the expansion audio input from the cart there is no analog in the system.
It will be released some day at least 6 months from now. Fabrication and shipping takes 3 months alone!
It will cost money to buy, hopefully less than $150.
(thanks Mark!)

There will be the obvious comparisons to Retron 5 but I see them very different. I will never be able to compete on price against a large company with chinese factories and retail connections, so that alone makes the target market different. I am aiming for the smaller group that can tell when a clone has issues, instead of the mass who can't tell or don't notice and aren't thinking about quality. The people who want to use obscure controllers, original equipment, and play new homebrews. Even the styling is designed to remind you of the system you love. It certainly isn't insulting to me if you pick the Retron 5, their system will do well and sell lots. This system just has a different mentality from the start.

Mine is a huge financial gamble for me that is still scary...
There's no handy "link directly to post" feature at NintendoAge but it is on this page.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

Okay, here's what I received back from Marshall H. about the output res of the HDMI N64:
(I asked if it was 240p-only and he replied:)
"Nope, doesn't make sense as the N64 VI puts out 640x480 (or larger if you're PAL). This is to say the N64 internally interpolates the framebuffer as it outputs it.

An example would be Rampage which uses the oddball Williams arcade resolution, something like 430x240 or something. This comes out as 640x480 on the output of the RCP.

To make upscaling work between different sync rates (even ones that are very close but not quite) you need to have a framebuffer. That's why there is DDR ram on the converter board. The hardware is capable of 1080p without issue."
1080p-upscaled HDMI N64? Should be great!
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

BitFaced wrote:Okay, here's what I received back from Marshall H. about the output res of the HDMI N64:
(I asked if it was 240p-only and he replied:)
"Nope, doesn't make sense as the N64 VI puts out 640x480 (or larger if you're PAL). This is to say the N64 internally interpolates the framebuffer as it outputs it.

An example would be Rampage which uses the oddball Williams arcade resolution, something like 430x240 or something. This comes out as 640x480 on the output of the RCP.

To make upscaling work between different sync rates (even ones that are very close but not quite) you need to have a framebuffer. That's why there is DDR ram on the converter board. The hardware is capable of 1080p without issue."
1080p-upscaled HDMI N64? Should be great!
The only question I still have then is whether or not you can just output in 480p and ignore the framebuffer, since it would add additional lag (I wouldn't be using HDMI anyway to be honest).
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Can we focus talk on this thread to NESRGB? ;)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

leonk wrote:Can we focus talk on this thread to NESRGB? ;)
Only you can prevent forest fires! What's up?
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Smoky says: it's an NES. Play it on a CRT. Conversation over.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So, any of these shipped yet?
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

He'll email you when it ships. Patience.