Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
cools

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by cools »

Any thoughts on the Sony medical PVMs versus the BVMs? From what I can gather the PVM-20L2MD was the largest and most recently made the medical CRTs.

I kinda like the white casing...
22point8

Post by 22point8 »

cools wrote:Any thoughts on the Sony medical PVMs versus the BVMs? From what I can gather the PVM-20L2MD was the largest and most recently made the medical CRTs.

The medical ones will probably use the consumer standard p22 phosphor, which is geared toward overall light output. Better PVM and all BVM use smpte c or ebu phosphor for colour accuracy. The expense of the phosphor probably meant better internal components too. The white is nice though.
fagin

Post by fagin »

cools wrote:Any thoughts on the Sony medical PVMs versus the BVMs? From what I can gather the PVM-20L2MD was the largest and most recently made the medical CRTs.

The medical PVMs are HR tubed sets, that are aligned to their normal PVM equivalents (like for like on lines, tube wise). The chassis are meant to be calibrated towards medical use..... whatever that means.
22point8

Post by 22point8 »

I think they have an additional underscan mode instead of 16:9 and have add ons that cover vents so fluids can't get in.
cools

Post by cools »

22point8 wrote:

The medical ones will probably use the consumer standard p22 phosphor, which is geared toward overall light output. Better PVM and all BVM use smpte c or ebu phosphor for colour accuracy. The expense of the phosphor probably meant better internal components too. The white is nice though.
That's really useful, thanks. I'm not so bothered about having reference 6500k colour accuracy (I'm colourblind), but from what I understand P22 phosphors have a much longer life than the others and are brighter. Since everything I'd be likely to hook up is meant for viewing on a consumer set or arcade monitor it makes more sense for me to go for something that resembles these, with all the necessary geometry adjustments.

As long as it has the inputs, the adjustments, a decent life ahead and looks nice that's all I need. LCD-like accurate pixels and scanlines don't interest me much. I'll keep an eye out.
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

PVM-1444QM for 50€ is a good deal ? It seems to support RGB/Component. Any idea what would be the maximum supported resolution ?
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

It seems to be 600 tv lines. Here in Portugal it would be a great price, as it's rare to see this kind of devices for sale.
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

in sony world, what does it mean when it say "horizontal resolution = 450TV lines in at centre"
by exemple if I wish to display 640x480 on a "450TV lines", will it works ?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Don't mistake the marketing term "TV lines" resolution denoting how many "lines" a TV can resolve with the term for signal resolution denoting which display signal resolutions a TV can distplay. Those two terms are two completely different and unrelated terms.

Most PVM's not in the L5 series can only display the following resolutions, 15khz 240p or 480i as wells as their PAL counterparts. That is it.

These are television monitors not PC monitors they cannot display PC signals like 640x480 or what have you.

In short TV line resolution capability of a TV has nothing to do with graphical resolution. A unit with 800 lines will display any signal sharper than a unit capable of only 500.
SharkSkin-Man

Post by SharkSkin-Man »

Sorry if this has already been covered, but can anybody confirm that Sony PVM screens sync off both C-Video and C-Sync when using RGBS?
iflexx

Post by iflexx »

After being hit with an unexpected expense and having the dream of the Egret 2 I was about to purchase shattered, I came across a lot of BVM 20F1's! One door closes and another opens... Now the BVM I can definitely afford - even with shipping its quite a steal for where I live (Australia). There are two more available that seller says he will be dumping if I do not purchase; this breaks my heart :( But if there is anybody in Melbourne, Australia who would be interested in one of these let me know and I'll get it shipped down with mine and we can split the cost. Shouldn't cost more than $200 each including shipping. Just hit me on the pm.

Can't wait to try the 20F1 out, i've got a tiny lil 14" inch PVM right now but it does me 'little' good as a shmup display - currently just use it for my famicom. The 20F1 unit will be perma-tated and live right next to my LCD :D
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Sorry if this has already been covered, but can anybody confirm that Sony PVM screens sync off both C-Video and C-Sync when using RGBS?
certainly not all of them. I had a few small PVMs which did only work with clean sync (no composite video for sync).
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

No matter what I do I cannot get my PVM L5 to accept composite sync from my XSELECT-D4, so I have to use the component out.

But when I connect a vintage PC using the same VGA to BNC cable I can get it to sync to 640x480.

Once I get my SCART to BNC adapter I'll be able to test this a bit more as I have systems that put out composite video and other that put out composite sync.

Will prolly be a week or two before the cable arrives though.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The XSELECT-D4 does not output composite sync.

How do get your PC to output composite sync instead of seperate sync signal (H/V) ?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

If you mix the H and V sync by combining them into one wire then you get composite sync, right? That is what I do. Just use a regular old BNC splitter.

I do the same with the XSELECT-D4 and it worked with my old 2030 PVM but does not with my L2 or L5.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You should try a simple sync combiner circuit instead. Schematics have recently been posted in the Framemeister thread.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

You mean to tell me that H & V in the same wire is actually different from composite sync?

In any case, why bother, component out works and with only three wires it results in less clutter. Thank god I bought that XSELECT-4. Best video related investment of my life after my PVM's.
SharkSkin-Man

Post by SharkSkin-Man »

Fudoh wrote:
certainly not all of them. I had a few small PVMs which did only work with clean sync (no composite video for sync).
Ah, that's interesting. I'm picking up a 20L4 later on this week and was just going to use a female scart -> BNC cable, but I guess I'd be better off with one that includes a LM1881 for compatibilities sake?
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

Do we have a list of 480p compatible PVM ? I'm looking for a reference monitor for 240p and 480p.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

As far 4:3 PVM's are concerned I think the list tallies only the L5 series, which is to say the 20", 14" & 9" L5.

SONY later made some 16:9 PVM tubes that could accept high res signals like 480p, 720p and 1080i. But I do not know anything about them as I was never interested in 16:9 tubes.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Somebody just bagged a 20F1 (looks in good condition) on eBay (presumably in the UK) for £33!! :mrgreen: Unfortunately it was without a control unit but another UK eBay seller is giving these away for £15. :D

I would have bagged it myself but really can't justify more CRT's and also it was situated bang in the centre of London.... I can't be arsed to drive right into the city. :oops:

Anyone on here get it?
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

Nice, why this can't happen in France or closer (Germany). Most ebay sellers dont ship those monitors :(.

Oh well, I'm looking for an L5 serie :).
SharkSkin-Man

Post by SharkSkin-Man »

fagin wrote:Somebody just bagged a 20F1 (looks in good condition) on eBay (presumably in the UK) for £33!! :mrgreen: Unfortunately it was without a control unit but another UK eBay seller is giving these away for £15. :D

I would have bagged it myself but really can't justify more CRT's and also it was situated bang in the centre of London.... I can't be arsed to drive right into the city. :oops:

Anyone on here get it?
I was watching, but had already won another screen earlier in the week, so left it.
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

kamiboy wrote:As far 4:3 PVM's are concerned I think the list tallies only the L5 series, which is to say the 20", 14" & 9" L5.

SONY later made some 16:9 PVM tubes that could accept high res signals like 480p, 720p and 1080i. But I do not know anything about them as I was never interested in 16:9 tubes.
Ok, do you know which one are 9" ?

I only found 20" (PVM-20L5/ PVM-D20L5A) and 14" (PVM-14L5/PVM-D14L5A).
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

My mistake, the L5 series does not have any 9" models. I was thinking of the L2.
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

I was looking at the manual for the BVM D20F1A as there are a couple locally available for $150 shipped. Looking at the manual it says the unit accepts 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i as well as "a range of other signals between 15khz and 45khz".

My question is will this monitor correctly interpret 240p signals or will it see them as 480i? If it can do the older consoles correctly then I think this will be the perfect monitor for me for everything upto and including the Wii.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm pretty sure that 240p will work just fine. That's a great price on the newer "D" version of the 20" BVMs.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

The D's are 16:9 tubes if I am not mistaking. Is that correct?

I remember running across them during my research and thinking the whole aspect ratio aspect sure was a shame. For vintage gaming all it spells is either wasted screen space or squeezed graphics.
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

That model D comes with two removable plastic bezels, one for 4:3 and one for 16:9.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The tube itself is 4:3 on the 20" model. Only the larger ones (24" and 32") are 16:9.