New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fagin

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by fagin »

IIRC I had a dark picture problem and it was either a SCART Cable wiring issue and/or not enough power going to the Sync Strike.

I've even had a scenario (with my xbox360) that even though the sync strike light was on I still had no picture - powering the SS externally solved the issue.

Are you powering the Sync Strike externally?

Has your sync strike got the PWR switch on it - make sure it's in the correct position.
fogueman

Post by fogueman »

kei_dash

Post by kei_dash »

Hi all,

I have tried to build a CMVS with a MV1C.
I have a doubt, is really needed a Sync tripper between the output of Jamma and the VGA Scaler (with 8220 chipset)?

With this Sync Stripper is the image better/smoother?

Thanks a lot!
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

I thought that arcade stuff typically outputted composite sync, meaning you wouldn't need a sync stripper.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

you're right. There's absolutely no need for any sync processing with a MVS system.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

The LM1881 does some cleaning on the composite sync input signal according datasheet.
http://pinout-circuits-images.dz863.com/40/LM1881.jpg

Anyway, the main purpose of Sync Strike is adaption from scart plug to subd 15 pin hd plug plus putting all signals to screw terminals.
fagin

Post by fagin »

fogueman wrote:hello fagin

Yes i´m powering the sync strike externally and the switch is on power supply position (not on this picture)
Have you tried setting the PWR switch to SCART. The switch was/is actually the wrong way around and I don't know if this has been corrected.

For external PWR I have to set mine to SCART and for SCART I set it to PSU.

What voltage and amp PSU are you using?
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

The switch position naming has been corrected. For using sync strike with gbs scaler use one common psu.
kei_dash

Post by kei_dash »

Fudoh wrote:you're right. There's absolutely no need for any sync processing with a MVS system.

bencao74 wrote:The LM1881 does some cleaning on the composite sync input signal according datasheet.
http://pinout-circuits-images.dz863.com/40/LM1881.jpg

Anyway, the main purpose of Sync Strike is adaption from scart plug to subd 15 pin hd plug plus putting all signals to screw terminals.

speedlolita wrote:I thought that arcade stuff typically outputted composite sync, meaning you wouldn't need a sync stripper.

Thanks for fast reply!! :)
16shot

Post by 16shot »

Hello all!

Quick one about the Sync Strike, and a bit of a possible 'n00b approaching fast' warning :D

I have a VGA to RGBHV (5xBNC terminals) cable lying about somewhere, that is a no go for a PVM that needs combined sync.

- Can i use the above cable just for the RGB and pull the sync from the Sync Strikes C-sync screw terminal instead, through sacrificing one generic BNC cable?

- Alternatively, if i were to use the Sync Strikes screw terminals only, will i get away with chopping up four BNC cables and connect them straight from the R,G,B and C-sync terminals into the PVM? Would that be enough to get me a stable image?

Thanks a lot!
fagin

Post by fagin »

16shot wrote:Hello all!

Quick one about the Sync Strike, and a bit of a possible 'n00b approaching fast' warning :D

I have a VGA to RGBHV (5xBNC terminals) cable lying about somewhere, that is a no go for a PVM that needs combined sync.

- Can i use the above cable just for the RGB and pull the sync from the Sync Strikes C-sync screw terminal instead, through sacrificing one generic BNC cable?

- Alternatively, if i were to use the Sync Strikes screw terminals only, will i get away with chopping up four BNC cables and connect them straight from the R,G,B and C-sync terminals into the PVM? Would that be enough to get me a stable image?

Thanks a lot!
If you're using a sync strike to connect from, using your DSUB15 to RGBHV, you will only need to connect your HSYNC phono & RGB lines to your PVM. You won't need to do anything else.
16shot

Post by 16shot »

Hi fagin, thats what i thought as well,

However, i'm getting a rolling picture on either one or the other.

Is that just my luck and that particular cable has both h and v sync entirely separated?

Sync Strike LED does light up using scart power so i'm assuming all is good on that side of things...?
fagin

Post by fagin »

16shot wrote:Hi fagin, thats what i thought as well,

However, i'm getting a rolling picture on either one or the other.

Is that just my luck and that particular cable has both h and v sync entirely separated?

Sync Strike LED does light up using scart power so i'm assuming all is good on that side of things...?
Have you got the version of SS where you can choose the sync type. If you have a switch on the SS that says HSYNC & CSYNC, make sure you're choosing CSYNC.

The cable is not the issue imo.

Unfortunately a LED on does not always gaurantee the SS is working properly. Try an external PSU and flip the switch on the SS.

Also check that the vertical hold doesn't need adjusting on the CRT.
16shot

Post by 16shot »

This is one of the more recent SS without the switch. I'd assume it only outputs CSYNC through the VGA out wouldn't it?

Hmm could be a juice issue then, i've got a power supply on the way from ArcadeForge so will try that out when it gets over here!

Thanks for the fast feedback fagin!
fagin

Post by fagin »

16shot wrote:This is one of the more recent SS without the switch. I'd assume it only outputs CSYNC through the VGA out wouldn't it?

Hmm could be a juice issue then, i've got a power supply on the way from ArcadeForge so will try that out when it gets over here!

Thanks for the fast feedback fagin!
No need to worry then on the sync switch front. :)

Let us know what happens with the PSU - the other logical thing is that your sync lines of your lead are not appropriately grounded, however I'd be surprised if this is the case.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

The last ss with sync switch was sold one or two years ago.

And yes, output is csync. I have shipped the psu yesterday. Psu is regulated 5v with 500mA. Ss needs about 100mA.
16shot

Post by 16shot »

Cheers lads, that does clear things up nicely!

Will let you know how things evolve!
16shot

Post by 16shot »

Hiya Bencao!

Got the power supply today, it works perfectly as far as the Sync Strike is concerned :) Had no idea a pretty perfect RGB image could in fact, get more perfect!!!

Again, thanks for the great work and excellent service!
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

:) thanks!
ceramiclion

Post by ceramiclion »

Hello.
I recently acquired DVDo Edge Green since my Iscan VP20 died about a week ago.
I used to hook up the Sync strike into the Iscan Vp 20 using a RGB breakout cable like the one here.
I never had a single issue with it and worked wonderfully. Now when I tried hooking it up in the same manner to my DVDo Edge green I get a dim flashy and jumpy image on safe mode and if I enable Game mode then the image becomes distorted.
I also have a saturn RGBS cable wich i hook up in the same way as the sync strike and I only get a good picture if I hook it up to RGB+H as seen in this blog post here.
http://www.videogameperfection.com/dvdo ... nc-strike/

So far this problem has come up when i hook up the SNEs and Sega Genesis. I have an scart cable for the PLaystation 2 but I can't find it at the moment.
Thanks.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Unfortunately the Edge Green still isn't completely 240p compatible. I reported this to DVDO shortly after the Green was released, but obviously they don't care about it. I'm not sure what causes the image distortion, but it's not the Sync Strike nor your sources.
ceramiclion

Post by ceramiclion »

Fudoh wrote:Unfortunately the Edge Green still isn't completely 240p compatible. I reported this to DVDO shortly after the Green was released, but obviously they don't care about it. I'm not sure what causes the image distortion, but it's not the Sync Strike nor your sources.
But, I have read in this forum of people hooking up their retro system with the sync strike... Also as estated in my previous post the sega saturn works fine...
I want to try to hook it up from the screw in terminals but I need to order the cables. I also want to make sure I am doing everything right.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

But people here are talking about the original EDGE and not the Edge GREEN. But since you have it already anyway, share your experiences with us ! I know that some systems works and others don't and I don't know what's causing the differences....
ceramiclion

Post by ceramiclion »

Fudoh wrote:But people here are talking about the original EDGE and not the Edge GREEN. But since you have it already anyway, share your experiences with us ! I know that some systems works and others don't and I don't know what's causing the differences....
I'll see what I can do. Right now I have my snes hooked from the sync strike into my ebay scaler and then into the edge. I dunno why but the ebay scaler adds moving artifacts into the background that are driving me nuts... Other than that color depth and animation seems spot on...
I hope I can get it to work because Sega saturn looks absolutely amazing with it.
philexile

Post by philexile »

Hello,

I purchased a Sync Strike to replace my Extron VSS 100 Video Sync Separator that was damaged in Hurricane Sandy. I need this for my PVM 2950. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it work properly.

I first tried to hook it up to the output from my Shinybow SCART Switch. When I did this, the red LED wouldn't light up on the device, even with the power supply plugged in. I then tried to connect a game system directly to the Sync Strike and the red LED did light up – with or without the power supply.

The Sync Strike will not send a proper sync signal to either my PVM or my BVM, which doesn't need it but I decided to try it as well. I hooked up the output two ways:

1. via an RGBHV cable (only using the H cable to the composite sync BNC on the PVM)
2. with the pin terminals R,G,B,C via stripped BNC cables

I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong, so could someone please point me in the right direction? If I can't get this to work, I'll have to contact Extron about repairing my VSS 100. I was a little surprised (and disappointed) that the sync strike wasn't as plug-and-play as it was advertised in the video reviews. The VSS 100 was much easier to deal with.

Thanks
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

what type of PSU do you use? 5V regulated?
philexile

Post by philexile »

what type of PSU do you use? 5V regulated?
Yes, it came with the Sync Strike. I'm using a prong converter so I can plug it into the power outlet.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

I put in a PSU with EU plug compatible to 110V and 220V... as described on the shop page. So you have wired it correctly to 5V and GND Terminal?

There is a switch. This switch has two positions, one for SCART power, one for PSU. I recommend using the sync strike with the external PSU.

Sync Strike needs RGB Scart input. What type of input source do you use.
philexile

Post by philexile »

I put in a PSU with EU plug compatible to 110V and 220V... as described on the shop page. So you have wired it correctly to 5V and GND Terminal?
5V is wired to black
GND is wired to the wire with the white stripe
There is a switch. This switch has two positions, one for SCART power, one for PSU. I recommend using the sync strike with the external PSU.
I tried it both powered via SCART and with the PSU neither worked.
Sync Strike needs RGB Scart input. What type of input source do you use.
All the sources are RGB. I tried N64 (with amp), PSX, Saturn, etc.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

5V is wired to black
GND is wired to the wire with the white stripe
But the writing on the PSU package says that 5V is bw and GND black.