New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: New (upcoming) Scanline generator SLG3000

Post by Fudoh »

That's amazingly cheap what it's supposed to be. Report back and tell us how if it works.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

I remember ebay ones with the same pic saying they had a built in stripper / amp, and it not working at all with the transcoder I sold to Fudoh
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

You're trying to get the RGB to sync via the VGA port correct? Take a look at the boards that have single and double VGA-out ports, something in how RGBS is listed has me skeptic if they'll accept the same signal though that hookup or the 8 pin only.

Fudoh. I like your idea of expanding this project for linedoublers. Do you know if they make chips that can operate from a simple board and just do this right off the bat without needing CPU menus or settings? If anyone gets started on this, also consider YUV component and interlaced signals or this will just leave us with more problems to deal with.

Winni. I'm going back on that RGB effect for the SLG because pics in your photo bucket had filtered and unfiltered details separate from the scanlines. Reply to me if the retail product still supports this.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

headlesshobbs wrote: I'm going back on that RGB effect for the SLG because pics in your photo bucket had filtered and unfiltered details separate from the scanlines. Reply to me if the retail product still supports this.
I answer for winni. SLG has the dips for the RGB lines. Turn of the RGB lines separatly for the scanline effect. Additionally use the potentiometer to change the RGB effect continously. There is no feature tradeoff from the prototypes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Do you know if they make chips that can operate from a simple board and just do this right off the bat without needing CPU menus or settings?
I'm pretty sure about this. Earlier linedoublers from Faroudja or Silicon Image (later DVDO) use nothing but a few analog "knob" controls - no menu or IC-driven settings. It should be possible to get a Sage FLI-2200 sample from any of the chip suppliers and just give it a try.
fagin

Post by fagin »

aryssoR wrote:Not sure it will measure up to a syncblaster, but I ordered one of these:

http://www.blueunplugged.com/Scart-15-VGA-Cable-2M.aspx

It has a built in sync stripper and amp, it's quite a lot cheaper than a Syncblaster too

I'll report back when it arrives
Unless that sync amp can be powered (which I can't see an auxillary power connection), it will be as much use as tits on fish with a 15khz 240p console.

Still... that is an easy fix tbh.
fagin

Post by fagin »

headlesshobbs wrote:You're trying to get the RGB to sync via the VGA port correct? Take a look at the boards that have single and double VGA-out ports, something in how RGBS is listed has me skeptic if they'll accept the same signal though that hookup or the 8 pin only.
An LCD, unless it accepts a 15khz signal, will not sync..... regardless of what is done with the sync splitting. However, these can be fed in to CGA to VGA scalers absolutely fine...... or anything that accepts a 15khz signal as an input vi DSUB15.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Fudoh wrote:Seriously, somebody should buy some stock of Genesis/Sage FLI-2200 or FLI-2300 processors and just build a cigarette box-sized linedoubler with RGB and component inputs and VGA output. The chips are still easily available and should be down to a few US$ per piece by now..... There no need for any OSD or settings other than an input switch. I bet they could be offered to a price equal to what a transcoder plus a HDBoxPro costs right now.
That's actually quite genius. If decently priced and integrated with the SLG3000 you can even get the "more casual retro-gamer" to buy this :)
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

If one of you does this, I'll be glad to beta test for you =p
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

if one genius can draw a diagram, it'll be better :D...viletim maybe :p
Rossyra

Post by Rossyra »

fagin wrote:
aryssoR wrote:Not sure it will measure up to a syncblaster, but I ordered one of these:

It has a built in sync stripper and amp, it's quite a lot cheaper than a Syncblaster too

Unless that sync amp can be powered (which I can't see an auxillary power connection), it will be as much use as tits on fish with a 15khz 240p console.

Still... that is an easy fix tbh.
It's probably powered by the SCART switch voltage, no?
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I'm sure most scart connections have 5v supplied.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
fagin

Post by fagin »

headlesshobbs wrote:I'm sure most scart connections have 5v supplied.
Only via the switch as stated above, but I know none of my RGB SCART leads from my consoles have that connected! Apart from the latest retro stuff like ps2, dc etc.
viletim

Post by viletim »

Take a look at what else is sold through this website - it's all rubbish. Who cares what you are selling, just a long as you sell a lot of it. Keep this in mind when you read a product description which is the same, word for word, as the Maplin's page for the expensive Syncblaster cable.

This one will most likely to the VGA over SCART psuedo standard which has the sync signals come out on pins 10(?) and 12(?).
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Case Prototype is done for the SLG. I`ve chosen transparent and black acryl. I think the pics speaks.

Find in my blog pics with higher resolution. I`ve soldered in my SLG3000 a simple switch. It`s quite an easy mod, but since SLG 3000 is delivered with screw terminals any kind of switch is possible. There is an hole to access the screw terminals.

The black acryl comes in 3mm strength and is absolute sturdy. The transparent is 2mm. Screw size is M4. I`ve the feeling that if I throw this case against a wall, nothing will happen to the SLG. ;)
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Awesome. :) When can we expect these?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

SGGG2 wrote:Awesome. :) When can we expect these?
+1. Also, can we get one with black bottom piece and transparent top piece?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Wow! Looks very fancy. You got PM!
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Thanks a lot. :)

I`m collecting now the parts and compare the offers. Then I´ll ordering a bunch. Perhaps it`s good to know how many of you are interested in this case... so let`s say an informal pre-order... just sent me a pm or a mail via arcadeforge.de http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteuro ... age_id=222
+1. Also, can we get one with black bottom piece and transparent top piece?
sure, no problem :) any other wished :)
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

This is by no means a necessity, but it would be totally cool if you could get the SLG3000 logo stamped on the top plate. White for the black plate, and I guess black for the clear one. White would probably work. Laser etching is an option as well.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

^That was my first thought after seeing the black acryl-glass too, but this would probably up production cost by a bit.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I'm gonna run back on this post a bit. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 70#p654670

I understand the YUV fails because green runs sync instead of color and the way the SLG operates it will interfere with that. I've had two solutions, 1 add a mod to fix the sync or 2 bypass by not hooking green into the unit directly. My order still hasn't arrived so I can't test to see if you can still get scanlines by the latter option. The SLG also needs enough power to run through it which was provided well through VGA. If running component doesn't supply enough, then using a 5v PSU make a difference?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
xlr8d

Post by xlr8d »

SGGG2 wrote:This is by no means a necessity, but it would be totally cool if you could get the SLG3000 logo stamped on the top plate. White for the black plate, and I guess black for the clear one. White would probably work. Laser etching is an option as well.
i like your thinking ;)
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

That is quite above and beyond what I was expecting for the enclosure. Sexy!
fagin

Post by fagin »

Jochen,
Looking good mate!!! :D
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Think ill have to pick one of these up when i get paid
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

so I`ve ordered some of the cases. Hope they'll fit coz I changed to another laser cutter company. This gives more sharp and clear edges and it was a lot of cheaper than the company that has done the prototypes. But nevertheless I hope the cutting fits then. So I`ve setup about 30 cases for the first run. I`ve opened the side to the potentiometer axis completly, because it`s then easier to adjust the scanline level.

After some price comparsion I`ve decided to do not any engravings. It was ridiculous expensive. When I`ve all the parts together I`m stating the prices. I`ll post then prices for the engraved ones ,too. Perhaps we want to do a limited run.. :)

I`ve setup

- black
- transparent
- black base with transparent top.

Cheers

Jochen
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

bencao74 wrote:After some price comparsion I`ve decided to do not any engravings. It was ridiculous expensive. When I`ve all the parts together I`m stating the prices. I`ll post then prices for the engraved ones ,too. Perhaps we want to do a limited run.. :)
I don't mind skipping on the engraving if it's so much more expensive. But it would be cool with stickers that you can fit to the "ceiling" of the top cover. This way the wear/tear on the sticker is minimal. It has to be a mirror sticker though.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

^That's actually a great idea for the transparent top variant - you could just let you print a bunch of mirrored logo stickers, (which shouldn't be all too expensive) and stick them on the underside of the top. Or let the customer do it on his own.
However, depending on the thickness and material, the refraction messes a bit with teh viewing angle... but that's nitpicking.
Rossyra

Post by Rossyra »

Fudoh wrote:That's amazingly cheap what it's supposed to be. Report back and tell us how if it works.
Cancelled the order, out of stock at the supplier, too good to be true :roll: