NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ex-Cyber

Re: New Neo Geo / Dreamcast Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by Ex-Cyber »

duckzero wrote:I know you were saying you wanted to use an ARM based architecture, but would it be possible to license an already existing, fairly powerful for shmups, but not so popular platform like the Neo Geo 64 and customize it to your needs?

This would only make sense if it was financially viable, programmable for your needs, and cheap enough to remanufacture.
ARM itself is probably easier to license than any other noteworthy processor architecture, which is why it's used in so many places (too many products to list, most of which make no note of the fact that they're ARM-based). There are even FPGAs that come with a licensed ARM soft core. Older graphics core designs probably don't exist in a form that could still be readily manufactured today; it might actually be cheaper to design a new one in RTL and ship it on an FPGA than it would be to actually manufacture an old one.
rtw

Post by rtw »

THE wrote:I have worked with the ARM/XScale architecture both CPU and MCU now for 7 years or something. It's my second favorite after the 68000. If we create our own hardware it will be 90% likely ARM based. Designing a PCB with CPU/RAM/ROM is no big deal, we already got that. The main work are the custom GPU and SPU. The GPU will be FPGA based and needs to be designed in Verilog or VHDL, currently that's the only tricky part...
Sounds like an SH-3, CAVE actually uses different FPGA code tailored to each game. If you make you own
hardware I would suggest to include the sound data chips as part of the JTAG chain :D
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
THE

Post by THE »

rtw wrote: Sounds like an SH-3, CAVE actually uses different FPGA code tailored to each game. If you make you own
hardware I would suggest to include the sound data chips as part of the JTAG chain :D
We basically already did this with the Fast Striker cartridge :wink:

As sound/music has a extreme low priority in arcades, Cave's decision does make a lot of sense though. Normally the music is final when the game is maybe at 70% finished, not much changes needed after that...having a lot of physical distance and complex routing in the JTAG chain is not a good idea anyway...
The future is 2D
THE

Post by THE »

duckzero wrote: I know you were saying you wanted to use an ARM based architecture, but would it be possible to license an already existing, fairly powerful for shmups, but not so popular platform like the Neo Geo 64 and customize it to your needs?

This would only make sense if it was financially viable, programmable for your needs, and cheap enough to remanufacture.
Getting a license from SNKP for their old systems is near impossible. If something is discontinued in Japan it is discontinued :|
Doesn't make any sense, to license something clunky and horrible like the HNG64 anyway...developing our own board will be a lot cheaper, elegant and more powerful. All we need is money and time...
The future is 2D
rtw

Post by rtw »

THE wrote:
rtw wrote: Sounds like an SH-3, CAVE actually uses different FPGA code tailored to each game. If you make you own
We basically already did this with the Fast Striker cartridge :wink:

As sound/music has a extreme low priority in arcades, Cave's decision does make a lot of sense though. Normally the music is final when the game is maybe at 70% finished, not much changes needed after that...having a lot of physical distance and complex routing in the JTAG chain is not a good idea anyway...
I didn't want to open my cart, so I don't know what the hardware looks like. Are you using a slave processor ?

If the SH-3 boards had a full JTAG chain CAVE could have saved a lot of money. Mushihimetama did not sell that well so a
lot of the Ibara Black Labels were Tama's where they had resoldered the sound FLASH chips!

If the JTAG chain was complete they could have just reused the boards. To avoid a long chain they could have used a dedicated connector.
devil_man

Post by devil_man »

can we expect improved graphics for the dc version. For example, bullets may have transparence effects.
clp

Post by clp »

devil_man wrote:can we expect improved graphics for the dc version. For example, bullets may have transparence effects.
oh ffs give it a rest.
THE

Post by THE »

devil_man wrote:For example, bullets may have transparence effects.
:shock: That's what I would call a change for the worse...
The future is 2D
rancor

Post by rancor »

THE wrote:
devil_man wrote:For example, bullets may have transparence effects.
:shock: That's what I would call a change for the worse...
Please don't change anything from the MVS version.. I've been playing it a lot lately, and It's perfect. Additions would be great, but don't change the core game.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

rtw wrote:I didn't want to open my cart, so I don't know what the hardware looks like.
Behold!
zak

Post by zak »

Highest neo meg count? :shock:
duckzero

Post by duckzero »

THE wrote:
duckzero wrote: I know you were saying you wanted to use an ARM based architecture, but would it be possible to license an already existing, fairly powerful for shmups, but not so popular platform like the Neo Geo 64 and customize it to your needs?

Getting a license from SNKP for their old systems is near impossible. If something is discontinued in Japan it is discontinued :|
Doesn't make any sense, to license something clunky and horrible like the HNG64 anyway...developing our own board will be a lot cheaper, elegant and more powerful. All we need is money and time...
That's good to know. Either way, I wish you guys luck during that process. Also, I will be preordering the game for the DC (I would love to have a MVS copy, alas, my Neo Geo is acting up) and I'm super hyped for it. I'll for sure be taking it to one of my local SF4/random fighting and shmup tournaments and letting everyone get a chance to experience it!
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

I really wish this was on XBLA or PC, not that I dont own a Dreamcast but I dont have a stick for it and well I dont want to go back to pads now that I have been enlightened.
clp

Post by clp »

Zeron wrote:I really wish this was on XBLA or PC, not that I dont own a Dreamcast but I dont have a stick for it and well I dont want to go back to pads now that I have been enlightened.
Sticks are pretty cheap for dcast now though bro and as theres such a good library of shmups for the system itl be money well spent .
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

clp wrote:
Zeron wrote:I really wish this was on XBLA or PC, not that I dont own a Dreamcast but I dont have a stick for it and well I dont want to go back to pads now that I have been enlightened.
Sticks are pretty cheap for dcast now though bro and as theres such a good library of shmups for the system itl be money well spent .
or use an adapter/build your own.
=/
RHE

Post by RHE »

For US customers: NCSX already accepts pre-orders for both the regular and LE edition.

RE -> http://www.shopncsx.com/faststrikerregularedition.aspx
LE- > http://www.shopncsx.com/faststrikerregu ... ion-1.aspx

Release estimation is December this year.
clp

Post by clp »

RHE wrote:For US customers: NCSX already accepts pre-orders for both the regular and LE edition.

RE -> http://www.shopncsx.com/faststrikerregularedition.aspx
LE- > http://www.shopncsx.com/faststrikerregu ... ion-1.aspx

Release estimation is December this year.
so that translates to us as December next year. :lol:
THE

Post by THE »

The future is 2D
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Okay, I am pretty hyped now about this latest "last" Dreamcast game. I have some dumb questions. First off, isn't the LE the same as the regular one except with goodies? What's the point of getting LE + regular together? Are you guys seriously going to keep your LE in the original plastic and not open it or something? Now I have a Dreamcast that is grey("putty") colored and the sticker says it was made August 1999. Will I be able to play this right out of the box or will I have to do some finagling to get it to work?

On the matter of t-shirts etc.: I would like to see a Fast Striker t-shirt with the game characters from the opening and an exciting-looking gameplay screen in the background. There should be a poster of that too. This would blow away my Dreamcast owning friends. 8)
SWY: Games are just for fun
rancor

Post by rancor »

Agreed - I would LOVE to have either a NG:DEV shirt or a Fast Striker shirt. Both if you made them. But dont be lazy and just put the cover art on the front of the shirt. I would still buy one, but I'll pay a bit more for higher quality.
rtw

Post by rtw »

rancor wrote:Agreed - I would LOVE to have either a NG:DEV shirt or a Fast Striker shirt. Both if you made them. But dont be lazy and just put the cover art on the front of the shirt. I would still buy one, but I'll pay a bit more for higher quality.
One of the game characters or logo on the front and "you don't understand" on the back :D
rancor

Post by rancor »

rtw wrote:One of the game characters or logo on the front and "you don't understand" on the back :D
I trust their German design sensibilities to guide them... They come from a fine pedigree. :wink:
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

rtw wrote:
rancor wrote: One of the game characters or logo on the front and "you don't understand" on the back :D
I know this makes me sound like a complete n00b (and maybe I am) but what's with all this "you don't understand" stuff. What's it a reference to? I remember it came up a lot in the DUX thread too.
I'm bracing myself for a lot of witty, sarcastic but uninformative answers here but at least one genuine explanation would be appreciated :D
Cos yes...I don't understand.
rtw

Post by rtw »

mjclark wrote:I know this makes me sound like a complete n00b (and maybe I am) but what's with all this "you don't understand"
You are right it's from DUX, but you have to read it to savour it.

Start here...

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=150

Now back to Fast Striker, fantastic game, played it for hours last serious gaming session :D
twalden

Post by twalden »

Will you be able to configure controls in the DC version?
THE

Post by THE »

twalden wrote:Will you be able to configure controls in the DC version?
Yes both Fast Striker and Pink Bullets have fully configurable controls.

@Dux

Please don't derail this thread with this stuff. It has nothing to do with NG:DEV.TEAM anyway... :P
The future is 2D
THE

Post by THE »

doctorx0079 wrote:Okay, I am pretty hyped now about this latest "last" Dreamcast game. I have some dumb questions.
- First off, isn't the LE the same as the regular one except with goodies?

Yes, the LE has additionally an OST / Soundtrack and a different cover. The box color maybe different too.

- What's the point of getting LE + regular together?
- Are you guys seriously going to keep your LE in the original plastic and not open it or something?

That are emotional question. Some collector do stuff like that. To each of his own...
Plus you will save 10 EUR with the bundle :D

- Now I have a Dreamcast that is grey("putty") colored and the sticker says it was made August 1999. Will I be able to play this right out of the box or will I have to do some finagling to get it to work?

Won't be a problem:

This is a CD-ROM based product and might not be compatible with some Dreamcast™ consoles manufactured after October 2000.
The future is 2D
twalden

Post by twalden »

THE wrote:Yes both Fast Striker and Pink Bullets have fully configurable controls.
Great news. Thanks 8)
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

rtw wrote:
mjclark wrote:I know this makes me sound like a complete n00b (and maybe I am) but what's with all this "you don't understand"
You are right it's from DUX, but you have to read it to savour it.

Start here...

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=150
Thanks...now I understand and how we laughed :D

and
THE wrote:@Dux

Please don't derail this thread with this stuff. It has nothing to do with NG:DEV.TEAM anyway... :P
but I do notice there's a track on the Dux LE OST called "You Don't Understand"...
and I do wonder what happened to the promised Dux patch disc to fix the scoring bug...
and I do wonder how long til Fast Striker is in my DC.
antron

Post by antron »

THE wrote:This is a CD-ROM based product and might not be compatible with some Dreamcast™ consoles manufactured after October 2000.
so that is the case. did you guys actually find any units that wouldn't load it?