7th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time! - Results

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

jpj wrote:
jp wrote: The point is, its somewhat pathetic when one company has almost half of the positions on the top 25, and shows a true lack of diversity in folks' taste/play history.
does ibara play like pink sweets? does daifukkatsu play like muchi pork? does guwange play like progear? does dangun play like dodonpachi? does espgaluda play like esprade? does futari play like mushi?

i think i already said this, but 1.5's and black labels notwithstanding, cave have released 20 shmups titles now, so i think you're viewing this entirely the wrong way.

who said the top 25 is supposed to be diverse? i'd rather just choose the best games
well said sir 8)
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Just play what you enjoy. :?

BTW jonny5: Deathsmiles Mega Black is intense. It's more difficult that original DS. If you like ass-kicking shooters, you'll prefer this one.

ECL had the best price for a new kit, but Fannie said I bought the last one. :( She could have been jerking me though, that minx.
ncp

Post by ncp »

jp wrote:Um, bullet spam fests were born from Batsugun as I understand it.
I suppose my idea of a bullet spam fest is a bit different... I would say Batsugun's bullet count is roughly similar to Garegga, which I would not consider a bullet spam fest, at least not nearly on the level of Dodonpachi or more recent titles like Mushihime (although looking at it from the perspective of someone who prefers the older style, I probably should have realized what you meant). DDP was the first game that I know of to really have such an onslaught of bullets, even on the first loop (notably stage 5's massive walls of bullets). I mentioned Garegga with DDP because I seem to remember reading an interview with Ikeda that said if not for Garegga, DDP would have been much different (or something to that effect. It seemed to imply there would be more emphasis on weapons than dodging if I remember), attesting to the influence of past games on present games .
And my comment was about you yapping about improvements on past designs. Most everything anymore is just a manic, which those didn't exist until the later 90s. So how thats "improving upon a past design" is beyond me.
Alright, so if it's not improving on a past design I guess we could call it new and original, which is fine by me, I guess. My original point (in my first post which I later quote) was that newer games have the potential to polish old ideas while old games have less to work with, in general, later games are going to be more popular. I don't really understand how anyone can disagree with that.

okimdonenomorepostinginthisthreadforme.
croikle

Post by croikle »

MadScientist wrote:Would it be worth having two separate charts? One for incontrovertible shmups and another one for borderliners of all shapes and sizes.
This leads to wars over the border between shmups and borderliners. :)
clp

Post by clp »

13 pages of disagreement and debate over a non important forum list compiled by 10% of actual players of these games and a large percentage of people who just like shmups based on art direction and call everything beyond there skill level crap .Its pants on head retarded , however battle garegga deserves that 1 spot . :)
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

croikle wrote:
MadScientist wrote:Would it be worth having two separate charts? One for incontrovertible shmups and another one for borderliners of all shapes and sizes.
This leads to wars over the border between shmups and borderliners. :)
imo anything beyond space invaders isn't a shmup, it is the only pure shmup
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Rob

Post by Rob »

clp wrote: .Its pants on head retarded ,
;Your post certainly is . , :D
Mills

Post by Mills »

This thread is turning sh*t and sour with members posting irrelevant bullsh*t and shumps titles of the past 10yrs instead of the past 25-30yrs that shumps games have been around.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Well, if even Mills is getting into the thick of things, it's probably time to consider a retro Top25 or some kind of era splitting. i.e. 197X-1985, 1986-1993, 1994-1999...wait, that's one ranking too many.

I bet that could be done anyhow by sorting the full lists by release date (and improving the workload of the Top25 engineers by -200%). Generally calling for splitting off and extending the Top25 are bad ideas.

I find it pretty hilarious that diversifying the types of games allowable for entry didn't reverse the end result of having 10 games by Cave in there.

That pretty much kills any argument that "waugh, horrible schmupsdotcom people have their heads stuck up their genres" dead, you would think. Those horrible fans of that certain genre that would obviously be highly represented on this site determined their positions, but even if the borderliner fans have yet to come out in force, do many borderliners really stand up to the polish and finesse of the top shooters in this list? I dunno, maybe we just don't have enough retro-shooters / non-scoring obsessed casual shooters fans in here. That settles it; next year is consoles and PC for me.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I dunno, maybe we just don't have enough retro-shooters / non-scoring obsessed casual shooters fans in here.
The first is due to the fact that the genre, despite some people's insistence to the contrary, has been unarguably refined over the years - the latter is due to the fact that we burn such people at the stake around here. :P
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

robivy64 wrote:Just play what you enjoy. :?

BTW jonny5: Deathsmiles Mega Black is intense. It's more difficult that original DS. If you like ass-kicking shooters, you'll prefer this one.

ECL had the best price for a new kit, but Fannie said I bought the last one. :( She could have been jerking me though, that minx.
ya i finally got to play it last night.....i was floored...it was even better than i expected....i really like the graphics.....the boss thats the head with the stitched lips is sweet.....boss music is like crack too....its funny, as both brendz and i play when we get to a boss our heads start bobbing along.... :lol:

i was quite impressed....lvl999 is sick....gonna need to get more used to controling the options before i brave that one.....damn suicide bullets.....

lvl3 seemed to be a nice difficulty level....hard but not retarded

gonna put in some more time on saturday 8)

too bad it will be months at least before brendz will lend me it

:wink:

oh well....hopefully be some DOJ action this summer :D
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:I dunno, maybe we just don't have enough retro-shooters / non-scoring obsessed casual shooters fans in here.
The first is due to the fact that the genre, despite some people's insistence to the contrary, has been unarguably refined over the years - the latter is due to the fact that we burn such people at the stake around here. :P
I hinted at that first point in my post; any ol' fool can see the genre's been refined. What's interesting to me is that the focus of the genre has also narrowed, instead of opening up into the different types of gameplay possible. Say "arena shooter" around here and the response isn't exactly ecstatic; partly because many developers have used the genre as an excuse to churn out something less polished for a quick buck.

Basically, if the games aren't up to par, can't blame the fans for going with what's good.
msm

Post by msm »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I dunno, maybe we just don't have enough non-scoring obsessed casual shooters fans in here.
that sort of describes me though, and i still voted for a load of cave games :?
lgb

Post by lgb »

kengou wrote:
VorpalEdge wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:No other game forces you to die in order to complete it!
ikaruga
I don't get it.
You may want to play Ikaruga.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

msm wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:I dunno, maybe we just don't have enough non-scoring obsessed casual shooters fans in here.
that sort of describes me though, and i still voted for a load of cave games :?
Maybe I mistyped, as some wise scoring players voted for Psikyo and Seibu this year. But anyway, no foul if you still like Cave, obviously :)
jp

Post by jp »

I do fine playing for score and do fine with Cave games (though I don't play them obsessively). I just think if someone honestly thinks that half of Cave's library defines half of the best shmups ever made, then they apparently haven't played many shmups in their time.

And I also think this "refinement" argument is nonsense. Games with great level design that may or may not have focsed on scoring did not "evolve" into games in which the level design is replaced by bullet mazes and memorizing patterns where the emphasis lies squarely on scoring. The latter style has pretty much vanished in recent time, and hasn't been done well for awhile.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

jp wrote:I just think if someone honestly thinks that half of Cave's library defines half of the best shmups ever made, then they apparently haven't played many shmups in their time.
On the other hand, some people might have played a lot of shooting games in their time, and finally settled on Cave games as the ones that suit their tastes. Entirely possible, you know.

And these lists are completely subjective, as votes are influenced by people's tastes. If you want a more representative Top 25 Of All Time, you'd have to have a hell of a lot more debate on the subject beforehand, and total objectivity in voting.
jp

Post by jp »

I understand that, but still, I think its lame (and this is despite my voting for two Cave games with a possible third).

One would think an enthusiast of the genre wouldn't pigeonhole into one company, 'sall.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

jp wrote:Games with great level design that may or may not have focsed on scoring did not "evolve" into games in which the level design is replaced by bullet mazes and memorizing patterns where the emphasis lies squarely on scoring.
Perhaps I'm a bit forward to ask, but what, aside from the aesthetic aspects, truly separates an emphasis on "level design" from an emphasis on bullet patterns? Both are simply means of making a player go to certain places and avoid certain things, when you get right down to it. This isn't to say that I can't appreciate a longing for more varied obstacles than "bullets and more bullets," but it's not as if "modern" designers have lost sense of something absolutely vital, they're just taking a more economical, free-form approach (after all, bullets are easier to form into whatever sort of "obstacle" you want, as opposed to having to cook up some new "background element of doom" from scratch for every stage. Again, I understand wanting to see more than bullets, and agree with you to a fair extent, but I don't agree that such an element is nearly as vital as you seem to assert. Also, I'd argue that most modern shmups (especially talking about Cave, specifically) can be played relatively memorization-free, if only for survival - the heavy-duty memory stuff is only for scoring, which can be ignored. In the "good old days," more often than not just finishing the game was all about knowing when that rock wall was going to drop without warning - I'm not sure where you get the (apparent) idea that an "emphasis on level design" equals a near-absence of rote memorization. In my experience, at least, the opposite is largely true.

Again, not trying to berate your preferences or anything, but I'm not sure what examples your general idea of the genre's evolution is based on.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

jp wrote:Games with great level design that may or may not have focsed on scoring did not "evolve" into games in which the level design is replaced by bullet mazes and memorizing patterns where the emphasis lies squarely on scoring.
Market forces, yo. Nobody has the time to draw (or model) two billion sprites (or 3D models) to make compelling enemy designs. Bullet patterns look good to enough people and are much quicker to implement, probably cheaper all-around.
jp

Post by jp »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Perhaps I'm a bit forward to ask, but what, aside from the aesthetic aspects, truly separates an emphasis on "level design" from an emphasis on bullet patterns? Both are simply means of making a player go to certain places and avoid certain things, when you get right down to it. This isn't to say that I can't appreciate a longing for more varied obstacles than "bullets and more bullets," but it's not as if "modern" designers have lost sense of something absolutely vital, they're just taking a more economical, free-form approach (after all, bullets are easier to form into whatever sort of "obstacle" you want, as opposed to having to cook up some new "background element of doom" from scratch for every stage. Again, I understand wanting to see more than bullets, and agree with you to a fair extent, but I don't agree that such an element is nearly as vital as you seem to assert. Also, I'd argue that most modern shmups (especially talking about Cave, specifically) can be played relatively memorization-free, if only for survival - the heavy-duty memory stuff is only for scoring, which can be ignored. In the "good old days," more often than not just finishing the game was all about knowing when that rock wall was going to drop without warning - I'm not sure where you get the (apparent) idea that an "emphasis on level design" equals a near-absence of rote memorization. In my experience, at least, the opposite is largely true.

Again, not trying to berate your preferences or anything, but I'm not sure what examples your general idea of the genre's evolution is based on.
I think there's a huge difference between say, a later Thunder Force level and say, any level in DDP. One has you avoiding walls, various obstacles, enemies, bullets, etc., whereas the other just focuses on bullet mazes.

Granted, Cave has made a game with solid "level design", see: Death Smiles.

Regardless, I feel there's a huge difference between Caves normal type games and stuff like Thunder Force IV or Metal Black wherein the levels themselves and the enemies play a role.

And I'm not saying I vastly prefer one to the other or that one is bullshit and one isn't, they're two completely different things in my mind. I'm not putting down Cave for doing what they typically do, that was never my point. Hell, I'd think DDP DOJ was a great game if the scoring system wasn't fucking horrible (IMO). And I'm sure I'll love Ketsui since I thought Ketsui Death Label was a blast. *shrugs*

Really, I guess my point would be that for various companies their games have certain styles or similarities so its kind of hard for me to swallow that only one of them really "mastered the genre" or something, you know? You can generally tell without even knowing the name of a shmup if Psikyo, Cave, Konami, Tecno Soft, Raizing, etc. made it, so I'd still raise an eyebrow if say, 11 Konami games were in the top 25 or 11 Psikyo games, because to me, they're all very similar. Same goes for Cave.

Just my opinion. I don't really care one way or the other. I just wish folks realized that more shmups exist than what Cave makes. *shrugs*
jpj

Post by jpj »

it's cave, treasure, and raizing. that's the magic formula
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

BulletMagnet wrote:Also, I'd argue that most modern shmups (especially talking about Cave, specifically) can be played relatively memorization-free, if only for survival - the heavy-duty memory stuff is only for scoring, which can be ignored.
Bomb-based games give you an out; when you encounter something that can't be avoided, just press a button for temporary invincibility and free damage. If R-Type and Gradius gave you bombs they would be similarly "memorization-free."
Ed Oscuro wrote:
Market forces, yo. Nobody has the time to draw (or model) two billion sprites (or 3D models) to make compelling enemy designs. Bullet patterns look good to enough people and are much quicker to implement, probably cheaper all-around.
I never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense.
kengou

Post by kengou »

I don't know what's so hard to understand here. I voted for a ton of Cave games because they make the best shmups in my view. Their games are not all that similar except for a few elements like holding-shot-for-slow-movement and bomb-for-invincibility, which I feel are excellent and almost necessary elements of a good bullet-hell shmup. Cave's design is always great, and although I've played many shmups from many companies Cave is my favorite. They have a load of amazing games, and they keep churning out hits. Psikyo made around two games I really like (zero gunner 2 and strikers 1945 II); Raizing makes games that are alright but I don't find amazing; Konami's Gradius series I do love and included in my list (in Gradius Gaiden, as the best of the series); Treasure made two unique and great shmups that I added to my list; Compile has one game I really like (Zanac Neo) which I included . . . . And by the way I hardly even play for score, in most games. Or if I do, I'm always laughably bad at it 8)
who said the top 25 is supposed to be diverse? i'd rather just choose the best games
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Mortificator wrote:Bomb-based games give you an out; when you encounter something that can't be avoided, just press a button for temporary invincibility and free damage. If R-Type and Gradius gave you bombs they would be similarly "memorization-free."
That's part of it, but more than this most modern shooter throw obstacles/patterns/etc. at you that, for the most part, can be reacted to immediately - granted, knowing what's coming in advance helps, but it's been awhile since we've seen something like, in particular, Stage 4 in R-Type III, which is purely trial-and-error dependent. Such setups aren't completely gone these days, but they're nowhere near as much of a presence as they once were - personally I see that as a good thing, though others disagree.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

What do you guys think about doing a non-Cave top 25? If we exclude Cave from this list then it looks like (originally posted by incognoscente):

01. Battle Garegga (ARC/SAT) -- 01
02. Armed Police Batrider (ARC) -- 04
03. Ikaruga (ARC/DC/GC/XBLA) -- 08
04. Gradius V (PS2) -- 09
05. Radiant Silvergun (SAT/ARC) -- 11
06. Mars Matrix (ARC/DC) -- 12
07. Batsugun / Batsugun Special Ver. (ARC/SAT) -- 13
08. Raiden DX (ARC/PS1) -- 15
09. Raiden Fighters Jet (ARC) -- 17
10. Strikers 1945 II (ARC/PS1/PS2/SAT) -- 20
11. R-Type (ARC/PS1/PCE) -- 21
12. Border Down (ARC/DC) -- 22
13. Giga Wing (ARC/DC) --23
14. Rayforce/Layer Section/Galactic Attack (ARC/SAT/PS2) --24
15. Soukyugurentai (ARC/SAT/PS1)
16. Dragon Blaze (ARC/PS2)
17. Gradius Gaiden (PS1)
18. Under Defeat (ARC/DC)
19. Shikigami no Shiro 2/Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2/DC/GC/ARC)
20. G-Darius (ARC/PS2/PS1)
21. Battle Bakraid (ARC)
22. Gunbird 2 (DC/AC/PS2)
23. Kyukyoku Tiger / Twin Cobra (ARC/MD/PS1/PCE)
24. Thunder Force 4 / Lightening Force (MD/GEN)
25. Zero Gunner 2 (ARC/DC)

So, how good and diverse is this list? I haven't played number of games here, but the ones I have definitely deserve to be there. The low ranks for Gunbird 2, Dragon Blaze and Under Defeat are not good though. In my opinion, a milestone game should also be in a top 20 or so.
Rob

Post by Rob »

wiNteR wrote:So, how good and diverse is this list?
It's about the same as the real list: good, not close to diverse.
Hardstepah

Post by Hardstepah »

jesus, everybody says RSG is over hyped.....i've never played a more mediocre shooter then Battle Garegga in all my life. are you kidding me? yes i know im going to probably be banned from the site for saying this but i don't care. the game isn't that special, just about every game in that list is better then garegga. jesus did they put subliminal messages in this game? haha and i only mentioned RSG because of its claim to over hype, i too think its not the holy grail of shmups. but garegga? cmon!
Games Wanted:
DoDonPachi PSX, Persona 4, Fatal Frame (all), J360 Console
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Hardstepah wrote:jesus, everybody says RSG is over hyped.....i've never played a more mediocre shooter then Battle Garegga in all my life. are you kidding me? yes i know im going to probably be banned from the site for saying this but i don't care. the game isn't that special, just about every game in that list is better then garegga. jesus did they put subliminal messages in this game? haha and i only mentioned RSG because of its claim to over hype, i too think its not the holy grail of shmups. but garegga? cmon!
shooting games don't just have pretty graphics and explosions

who am I kidding this is shmupsforums people don't actually play games
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
ncp

Post by ncp »

Hardstepah wrote:i've never played a more mediocre shooter then Battle Garegga in all my life.
Hardstepah wrote:Ibara avatar
what is this i dont even