OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lettuce

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by lettuce »

Is there anyone in the UK i can send my OSSC to to fix a bodged install?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Galdelico wrote:
Thomago wrote:Would you mind checking on this site (https://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting) if your LG monitor has an "inverted trail" (http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/u ... oronas.jpg) in its lowest overdrive setting? Would be interesting to know if the "after-flicker"-effect is something to be reckoned with in general or if your monitor just has a particularly aggressive overdrive.
I'll check it out as soon as I can, and report. Moving around the monitor from where it's placed now may be a bit tricky, and I don't have direct access to any PC in my gameroom. I'll see if I can connect my MacBook to it and give it a try. ^_-

That said - if it can be of any help - response time in general isn't the strongest plus of my LG, and it's highlighted in every review I've read. I was aware of it when I bought it, as I thought it wouldn't be much of a problem. Still, I'm not sure if that caused the issue I had with interlaced sources.
I've been thinking about your issue a bit and i'm still perplexed about what's really going on.

How come that sort of thing (image retention on LCD's) hasn't been an issue at all for many years of 720p, 1080p and 1440p panels production, and suddenly comes back, I mean I haven't heard a single occurence of this with LCDs except with like about decade-old IPSes or overheating Apple Cinema, or recently in some Rtings reviews.
Your monitor definitely isn't old nor in the slow category, your issue isn't there, in any case 4K IPS panels are recent history.
One definitely shouldn't be quick to generalize when it comes to LCDs, as lots of little things change over the years, whether it's the technologies used or manufacturing processes. Yes so...
...so I was thinking maybe we're seeing a case of returning/resurgent weakness, I mean maybe some manufacturers like LG (the main IPS maker) have been using again some material or process known for making some of their IPS panels more sensitive to high strain (like your flickering case).

I'd say it deserves to be investigated more thoroughly, one thing is I'd love to see is a clean video of the phenomenon, but I know it's nearly impossible to produce without proper camera equipment, don't worry about that. In any case I'm not yet satisfied with the recently introduced simple generalizations like Rtings make, nor that the OSSC could be responsible of anything beyond revealing a specific weakness.

EDIT: by the way does the brightness level of your monitor affect this phenomenon ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Xyga wrote:I've been thinking about your issue a bit and i'm still perplexed about what's really going on.

How come that sort of thing (image retention on LCD's) hasn't been an issue at all for many years of 720p, 1080p and 1440p panels production, and suddenly comes back, I mean I haven't heard a single occurence of this with LCDs except with like about decade-old IPSes or overheating Apple Cinema, or recently in some Rtings reviews.
Your monitor definitely isn't old nor in the slow category, your issue isn't there, in any case 4K IPS panels are recent history.
One definitely shouldn't be quick to generalize when it comes to LCDs, as lots of little things change over the years, whether it's the technologies used or manufacturing processes. Yes so...
...so I was thinking maybe we're seeing a case of returning/resurgent weakness, I mean maybe some manufacturers like LG (the main IPS maker) have been using again some material or process known for making some of their IPS panels more sensitive to high strain (like your flickering case).
I'm a complete newbie, when it comes to AV tech, but that sounds very likely.
That's literally the one and only 'problem' I had with the monitor, but I still put it in inverted commas because I realize that came out while using it under very 'that's not really how it's meant to be' circumstances.
Even if there's still a ton of upscaling going on, it performs beautifully with the PS3/360 (seriously, to the point I started considering a PS4, just because of that) and image retention doesn't seem to be an issue, there (it wasn't with 240p sources either... I could leave Sonic on pause for ages, and nothing happened, while Virtua Fighter 2 left its marks after a couple of minutes).
I'd say it deserves to be investigated more thoroughly, one thing is I'd love to see is a clean video of the phenomenon, but I know it's nearly impossible to produce without proper camera equipment, don't worry about that. In any case I'm not yet satisfied with the recently introduced simple generalizations like Rtings make, nor that the OSSC could be responsible of anything beyond revealing a specific weakness.
That's very important to clarify. The OSSC itself isn't responsible at all. I use the same unit with my several-years-old Asus VW246H and - under the same exact circumstances - nothing happens.
One small - yet visible - difference I can tell between the two displays, is that the Asus, in spite of its age/TN panel/lower resolution (1080p), seems to handle interlaced sources better. As in, there seems to be less flickering to begin with - given the same OSSC settings, including bob deinterlace and post processing stuff - and the image is overall a bit more stable, compared to the LG.

Now, about the video. I tried, but unfortunately I couldn't capture it, off-screen. I may give it another go with my Lumix and see if I manage to do a better job...
That said, what it looks like on solid colors is easy to describe, as it totally resembles burn-in. After a quick playthrough with Saturn Virtua Fighter 2, during Shun Di's intro, you could clearly see the faint, white-ish shape of the lifebars and the fighters' names over the darker sky, on the background. If I turned off the OSSC, leaving the monitor going stand-by and showing a full white screen, the very same shape appeared to be all shimmering/flickering (but you couldn't tell apart the edges, being white on white).

I guess it would be useful if someone - with a different IPS monitor, the OSSC and a Japanese Saturn + Virtua Fighter 2 - replicated the same scenario and see what happens.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

It looks exactly like the classic burn-in you used to see on plasmas years ago, except it flickers. And fades away overnight, at least in my case because I switched the TV off as soon as I saw it. In my case a copy of PS2 Ridge Racer V set it off, literally the first game I tried with the OSSC bob deinterlace. You don't need a Japanese saturn and VF2, I bet you don't even need an OSSC. My expectation is any bob deinterlaced source with static white lines would do it on these particular panels.
The OSSC has an interlace pass-through feature which makes it a non-issue really, anyone affected can either use another deinterlacer, the tv's deinterlacer or just get a more compatible display device.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I just updated to the new firmware and I'm having a weird issue. When is select 3x 4x or 5x nothing happens.

The screen does not show the standard "signal not supported" it just does nothing.my scan lines work but I cannot get my image to change for the life of me.

Any ideas?
Copyright 1987
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

RocketBelt wrote:It looks exactly like the classic burn-in you used to see on plasmas years ago, except it flickers. And fades away overnight, at least in my case because I switched the TV off as soon as I saw it. In my case a copy of PS2 Ridge Racer V set it off, literally the first game I tried with the OSSC bob deinterlace. You don't need a Japanese saturn and VF2, I bet you don't even need an OSSC. My expectation is any bob deinterlaced source with static white lines would do it on these particular panels.
The OSSC has an interlace pass-through feature which makes it a non-issue really, anyone affected can either use another deinterlacer, the tv's deinterlacer or just get a more compatible display device.
Could you tell your display's part number please ? We should always be precise about that.

Like I said I've had/tried several IPS displays over the years, TVs and monitors including LG, Samsung, and even AUO (benq) though I don't think I've tried any deinterlaced stuff on the latter, I'm pretty sure I did on the other ones and extensively so -> never seen a hint of image persistence.

Since it's not affecting every IPS in existence it must be something else specific that applies to some of the produced IPSes and that'll hopefully be identified one of those days.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Hoagtech wrote:I just updated to the new firmware and I'm having a weird issue. When is select 3x 4x or 5x nothing happens.

The screen does not show the standard "signal not supported" it just does nothing.my scan lines work but I cannot get my image to change for the life of me.

Any ideas?
Go here and use Harrumph's tips. Worked for me where I was previously under the impression my TV could only do linedouble. Turns out it can do triple and quadruple too.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... lx5-modes/
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Hoagtech wrote:I just updated to the new firmware and I'm having a weird issue. When is select 3x 4x or 5x nothing happens.

Any ideas?
Check your cables (you need proper high speed ones), remove any HDMI splitters from the chain.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

BuckoA51 wrote:

Any ideas?
Check your cables (you need proper high speed ones), remove any HDMI splitters from the chain.
Can you be more specific what you mean "high speed"? :idea:

Are you talking HDMI-HDMI, DVI - HDMI, have a link to some of these high speed cables?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

I just got a DVD iScan Micro in for testing and it made no difference at all. A few pages back, someone mentioned adding a Micro worked for them. If anyone has it working, can they post their settings?

Also, when we save our profiles, are they stored on the SD card in a way that people can upload and share them? I haven't had time to test that yet.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

neorichieb1971 wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:

Any ideas?
Can you be more specific what you mean "high speed"? :idea:

Are you talking HDMI-HDMI, DVI - HDMI, have a link to some of these high speed cables?
"high speed" is a standard defined class of HDMI cable. Standard speed cables are only rated for 74.5 MHz and top out at 720p/1080i, while high speed cables are rated for 340 MHz and is basically good for 1080p and 4K30.

There are two additional levels of cables, 18 Gbps for 4K60, and 48 Gbps for anything up to 10K120.

In practice, all cables have the same number of pins/wires, how much data you can push down any given cable is a pretty blurry line. You can get away with pushing 1080p60 over a short standard speed cable if there isn't much interference, for example. It's like ethernet cables, cat 5/5e/6/6a/7 all have the same number of pins, but you're not going to do 100 meters of 10 gigabit over a cat 5 cable.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

retrorgb wrote:I just got a DVD iScan Micro in for testing and it made no difference at all. A few pages back, someone mentioned adding a Micro worked for them. If anyone has it working, can they post their settings?

Also, when we save our profiles, are they stored on the SD card in a way that people can upload and share them? I haven't had time to test that yet.
That was Blair, in the "4k blues" thread, page 4. He hasn't checked back though, several others wondered how he got that working.

Settings are not stored on the SD card. The card doesn't have to be in the slot for OSSC to function.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Hmm I was shopping on ebay for options. Is there a keyword i should be looking for the HDMI cables?

and should they be less than a certain footage?

and lastly do they need to contain a signal booster?
Copyright 1987
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

Try these cables:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3992

If you're under 6ft no need for a signal booster.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Harrumph wrote:
retrorgb wrote:I just got a DVD iScan Micro in for testing and it made no difference at all. A few pages back, someone mentioned adding a Micro worked for them. If anyone has it working, can they post their settings?

That was Blair, in the "4k blues" thread, page 4. He hasn't checked back though, several others wondered how he got that working.

Settings are not stored on the SD card. The card doesn't have to be in the slot for OSSC to function.
Ahh, thanks.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Be warned that all profiles are erased every time you do a firmware update.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

For anyone in the UK/Europe, this cable from Amazon works on my OSSC in all modes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

I mentioned a while back that I picked up a Micro and had no luck with it in any mode (connected to a 1080p tv). I didn't try Harrumph's suggestions, though.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Crap. LOL, anyone want to buy an iScan Micro?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

HDFury Linker does not accept any of the 5x modes. Too bad. :(
We apologise for the inconvenience
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

Hi all
Just hooked together my NNC toshiba (31 & 15) to the OSSC (aes neogeo system):
240p:
Spoiler
480p:
Spoiler
240p :
Spoiler
480p :
Spoiler
Video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKKy1rIhmvo
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Okay so a quick question. Would going from a XRGB Mini to a OSSC on a Full HD OLED (LG-55EG910V) be a big upgrade? Soon on a 4K OLED (LG-55E6V or LG-55C6V).
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

Xyga wrote:
RocketBelt wrote:It looks exactly like the classic burn-in you used to see on plasmas years ago, except it flickers. And fades away overnight, at least in my case because I switched the TV off as soon as I saw it. In my case a copy of PS2 Ridge Racer V set it off, literally the first game I tried with the OSSC bob deinterlace. You don't need a Japanese saturn and VF2, I bet you don't even need an OSSC. My expectation is any bob deinterlaced source with static white lines would do it on these particular panels.
Could you tell your display's part number please ? We should always be precise about that.

Like I said I've had/tried several IPS displays over the years, TVs and monitors including LG, Samsung, and even AUO (benq) though I don't think I've tried any deinterlaced stuff on the latter, I'm pretty sure I did on the other ones and extensively so -> never seen a hint of image persistence.

Since it's not affecting every IPS in existence it must be something else specific that applies to some of the produced IPSes and that'll hopefully be identified one of those days.
It is a 27MT55S-PZ. It's the flicker in the bob deinterlace that it cannot handle. Normal deinterlaced material is not bobbed and it has no problem with that.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

RocketBelt wrote:It is a 27MT55S-PZ. It's the flicker in the bob deinterlace that it cannot handle. Normal deinterlaced material is not bobbed and it has no problem with that.
That's true, my LG 27MU67 does the same. No problems with passthrough, but - that's totally personal and tied to subjective tastes, I guess - I don't like the look of it.
Plus, I try to keep the profiles consistent, when it comes to aspect ratio and post-processing, so - for games that switch resolution (like the aforementioned Virtua Fighter II) - I don't want 480i to look dramatically different to 240p, in terms of size, brightness/contrast, scanlines etc. I'm aware this may sound crazy to many, but hey. :D

All that said because my older Asus VW246H - I double checked, before reporting - handles interlaced graphics perfectly. Tried VF2 for an hour or so, and nothing happened. Same with Ridge Racer V on the PS2.
Aside from its age, other major differences between that monitor and the LG are that the former is TN, 1080p and has a response time of 2 milliseconds, compared to the 5ms of the 27MU67. AFAIK, it doesn't even come with an overdrive slider, whereas with the LG it can be set from none to low > middle > fast (even though it doesn't change the 'after-flicker' effect at all).

Ideally, an evolution of the VW246H - only 27" and possibly IPS (Xyga you were so damn right, man... Once you see an IPS monitor in person, you can't look back at TN panels with the same eyes) - would be the perfect choice, for my needs.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Again response time has nothing to do with the issue, and please don't pay attention to those '2ms', '5ms' claims: those are very basic gray-to-gray measurements given by the manufacturers for marketing purposes, it tells almost nothing about the real response performance of the panels in any case.

My guess (in regards of image persistence on some IPSes) is that there's more than one method and components that can be used to drive the liquid crystals in IPS-type panels, some being sensitive to such (rare) occurences of high strain, others not.
Until someone puts his finger on it and finds a way to sort the panels, there won't be any reliable way know before acquiring one besides users feedback.

In any case I wouldn't have guessed that people actually looked at monitors, whether as standalone or paired with an OSSC, as valid solutions for playing interlaced contents.
Honestly for interlaced everyone uses either TVs or full-deinterlacing capable processors like the DVDOs.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Xyga wrote:Again response time has nothing to do with the issue, and please don't pay attention to those '2ms', '5ms' claims: those are very basic gray-to-gray measurements given by the manufacturers for marketing purposes, it tells almost nothing about the real response performance of the panels in any case.
I see. Yeah, I thought those brutal differences may have been of some help. My bad. ^^;
My guess (in regards of image persistence on some IPSes) is that there's more than one method and components that can be used to drive the liquid crystals in IPS-type panels, some being sensitive to such (rare) occurences of high strain, others not.
Until someone puts his finger on it and finds a way to sort the panels, there won't be any reliable way know before acquiring one besides users feedback.
That's what I hope to get eventually. I'm not in a hurry, and my trusty Asus will serve well until I finally decide to retire it.
In any case I wouldn't have guessed that people actually looked at monitors, whether as standalone or paired with an OSSC, as valid solutions for playing interlaced contents.
Honestly for interlaced everyone uses either TVs or full-deinterlacing capable processors like the DVDOs.
I'm aware of that - I tried myself my two TVs, and they do the job fine... Yet they are located in different places, and I don't really have the space for a massive screen in my game room - but I must say, when interlaced sources may end up looking this decent(*) on a smaller PC monitor

through a single device that can conveniently handle each and every retro system I own, that automatically becomes my favourite choice.

(*) Off-screen cellphone pic... I'm genuinely happy with what I can see in person.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Of course for convenience a single setup is better, if the OSSC could completely eliminate the remaining flicker in this mode as well there wouldn't be that issue with displays weak to it. But that's asking a lot I think, I remember there was still quite a lot left with the XRGB3 in the same scenario while the picture was quite clean and sharp too.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Xyga wrote:Of course for convenience a single setup is better, if the OSSC could completely eliminate the remaining flicker in this mode as well there wouldn't be that issue with displays weak to it. But that's asking a lot I think, I remember there was still quite a lot left with the XRGB3 in the same scenario while the picture was quite clean and sharp too.
That's the only reason, really. ^_-

And to clarify... The image above shows the results I'm getting with the Asus, which is immune to image retention/flicker persistence. On the LG, colors were of course way better, but the picture on the whole wasn't as sharp and stable (even though there's still some flickering here as well).
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

H6rdc0re wrote:Okay so a quick question. Would going from a XRGB Mini to a OSSC on a Full HD OLED (LG-55EG910V) be a big upgrade? Soon on a 4K OLED (LG-55E6V or LG-55C6V).
Quick answer: yep, if you don't mind spending the extra cash for a slightly superior image.

Longer answer: depends on;

- Firstly, is the TV compatible with OSSC line 3x/4x/5x?
- Which consoles you play on
- Do you play games that use 480i?
- Can the new TV handle 480i input?
- Do you mind keeping the Framemeister as backup or alternative for where the OSSC / TV doesn't meet your needs. EG, if the TV can't process 480i very well
- Do you need to be able to zoom and scale your console's output?

Some of the main reasons to stick with the FM over the OSSC, are if you prefer the FM's superior 480i handling and you require the advanced zoom settings. If you can game happily without those, the only thing to check is that your new TV is compatible with the linemulti modes x3/x4/X5 of the OSSC. Linedouble is OK, but if that's all you can get out of the OSSC then stick with the FM instead. The lack of digital audio output has now been fixed and you can buy an OSSC with audio board installed.

I've been trying to answer the FM vs OSSC question for the last four months. Since discovering that my TV can do line 3x and 4x as of the last firmware update and some advice from Harrumph, I've been directly comparing OSSC line 4x with FM at 1080p using FBX profiles. I can say that I definitely prefer the OSSC. The superior colour and scanlines of the OSSC just give that better picture imo. The FM is not far behind though and still gives an awesome picture.

In summary, I thought I could give you a more defined answer. But as others have pointed out, a direct comparison is not entirely valid as the two products do not have identical feature sets.

Good luck mate :D
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

bonzo.bits wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote:Okay so a quick question. Would going from a XRGB Mini to a OSSC on a Full HD OLED (LG-55EG910V) be a big upgrade? Soon on a 4K OLED (LG-55E6V or LG-55C6V).
Quick answer: yep, if you don't mind spending the extra cash for a slightly superior image.

Longer answer: depends on;

- Firstly, is the TV compatible with OSSC line 3x/4x/5x?
- Which consoles you play on
- Do you play games that use 480i?
- Can the new TV handle 480i input?
- Do you mind keeping the Framemeister as backup or alternative for where the OSSC / TV doesn't meet your needs. EG, if the TV can't process 480i very well
- Do you need to be able to zoom and scale your console's output?

Some of the main reasons to stick with the FM over the OSSC, are if you prefer the FM's superior 480i handling and you require the advanced zoom settings. If you can game happily without those, the only thing to check is that your new TV is compatible with the linemulti modes x3/x4/X5 of the OSSC. Linedouble is OK, but if that's all you can get out of the OSSC then stick with the FM instead. The lack of digital audio output has now been fixed and you can buy an OSSC with audio board installed.

I've been trying to answer the FM vs OSSC question for the last four months. Since discovering that my TV can do line 3x and 4x as of the last firmware update and some advice from Harrumph, I've been directly comparing OSSC line 4x with FM at 1080p using FBX profiles. I can say that I definitely prefer the OSSC. The superior colour and scanlines of the OSSC just give that better picture imo. The FM is not far behind though and still gives an awesome picture.

In summary, I thought I could give you a more defined answer. But as others have pointed out, a direct comparison is not entirely valid as the two products do not have identical feature sets.

Good luck mate :D
Thanks for your reply. I'm really on the fence on this.

With things like the beter color output, lack of input lag, no 240p/480i switching problems, 960i and line triple, quadruple and quintuple I really thinking about dumping my FM all together.