XOP Ultra and XOP Black Ultra thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BPzeBanshee

Re: XOP, a 2D shooter

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Jeneki wrote:I'd certainly use it. Would that also include uploading / donwloading replays?
That'd be cool for XOP Black Special, except replays in it are broken for most stages.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Replays would be nice, I'd have to do a bit more work for that, though.

Fixing the score attack replays for special is something else I wanted to do.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

my own replays are often desynched/broken when I play them back, so its no wonder.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Online Highscore Update here : http://rydia.net/udder/prog/download/xo ... Update.zip

Obviously requires the full version.

Only certian mode/skill combinations have online highscore enabled, check out the .txt file for more info.

I also fixed XOP Black Ultra Special Score Attack replays starting on the wrong stage.

No replay support, sorry.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Nice! Applied the update and replays do indeed start on the intended stages from what I've tested so far. Do you know if it still goes weird colours when using Windows Vista/7 (bypassable via terminating explorer.exe before launch)?

Somehow I managed to get to the TLB in Stage 10/EX5 despite being sorely out of practice but got my ass handed to me as expected. Quite refreshing to play.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Nope, still using paletted color mode. Sorry, it would take a huge amount of work to fix that, and I'm not up to it at the moment.

Also the only semi-gameplay related change is that Cancel mode in XOP Black Ultra now has 10 FPS less simulated lag. I feel this makes the mode play much better as a result.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Sweet, I'll grab this tonight.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I currently have my PC hooked up to my main HDTV. Normally this is cool, however I recently got a kitten. It turns out he really likes these games on the big screen. "Look, little bug things crawling everywhere, ATTACK! And now your toes!" lolz no high score for j00!

Since I'm playing this again, there's one thing I've been wondering about for a while now. In XOP Black Ultra arcade, is there a bonus area in level 4? The blue vortex things that bring you to an extra area. I've found them in level 1, 2, 3, and 5, but not 4.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Udderdude wrote:Nope, still using paletted color mode. Sorry, it would take a huge amount of work to fix that, and I'm not up to it at the moment.
Cool. I'd figured if it was something that was easy to fix knowing you, it would've been fixed a while ago.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Jeneki wrote: Since I'm playing this again, there's one thing I've been wondering about for a while now. In XOP Black Ultra arcade, is there a bonus area in level 4? The blue vortex things that bring you to an extra area. I've found them in level 1, 2, 3, and 5, but not 4.
thats probably because originally, level 4 did not exist, and level 5 was in its place. I'm guessing he never bothered to put another one in.

I'd also like to point out that it doesn't count as a TLB if there's 3 of them :P
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Lord Satori wrote:
Jeneki wrote: Since I'm playing this again, there's one thing I've been wondering about for a while now. In XOP Black Ultra arcade, is there a bonus area in level 4? The blue vortex things that bring you to an extra area. I've found them in level 1, 2, 3, and 5, but not 4.
thats probably because originally, level 4 did not exist, and level 5 was in its place. I'm guessing he never bothered to put another one in.
I did have a portal in level 4 at one point, but removed it after getting feedback from testers before release.
Lord Satori wrote:I'd also like to point out that it doesn't count as a TLB if there's 3 of them :P
Sure it does.
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Nice! Applied the update and replays do indeed start on the intended stages from what I've tested so far. Do you know if it still goes weird colours when using Windows Vista/7 (bypassable via terminating explorer.exe before launch)?

Somehow I managed to get to the TLB in Stage 10/EX5 despite being sorely out of practice but got my ass handed to me as expected. Quite refreshing to play.
An easier way to do this would be to make a batch file that kills explorer.exe that also starts the game, and have the process restore automatically after exiting. Just copy and paste the following text into a .txt file and rename the extension to .bat.

Code: Select all

@echo off
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
xop.exe
cls
pause
start explorer.exe
Just make sure it's in the directory of the game executable. Works wonders with other games that are affected by this problem, too.
".... that would be rubbish."
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

That explains a lot about stage 4. It has a slightly different feel from the rest.

Won't be able to give this much time till next week though. Silly holiday weekend over here.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Samurai Fox wrote: An easier way to do this would be to make a batch file that kills explorer.exe that also starts the game, and have the process restore automatically after exiting. Just copy and paste the following text into a .txt file and rename the extension to .bat.
Yeah, that's what I do, except I don't have the cls or the pause, works fine and I don't have to press any additional stuff for explorer to pop back up. kane had a variant of that a few pages ago as well which put a /B tag on explorer although I didn't see much use for that either. God knows DOS can behave quite differently from OS to OS sometimes so whatever floats your boat. :lol:
Krimzon Kitzune

Some games that required the fix also needed the pause line so that explorer.exe wouldn't pop back up while the game was starting. I think Diablo was one of the few games that actually needed that additional command line. I wasn't sure if XOP would have this same problem, so I left that there just in case.

CLS is just so that the command window doesn't look messy after exiting a game, so it's more of a preference for me.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Udderdude wrote:
Lord Satori wrote:I'd also like to point out that it doesn't count as a TLB if there's 3 of them :P
Sure it does.
TLB stands for true last boss. having three "true last bosses" defies the very definition of TLB.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Lord Satori wrote:TLB stands for true last boss. having three "true last bosses" defies the very definition of TLB.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Krimzon Kitzune

trap15 wrote: Image
That never gets old. :lol:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Update to the update - I added some code to XOP Black Ultra (and Special), to make some stage backgrounds slightly darker. This should improve bullet visibility on most stages.
Krimzon Kitzune

Udderdude wrote:Update to the update - I added some code to XOP Black Ultra (and Special), to make some stage backgrounds slightly darker. This should improve bullet visibility on most stages.
Thanks!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Awesome. I think the only visibility issues I had were in Doom mode, when a mob of pink chips get overlapped by some pink bullets. But I got used to sorting them out since the shape is different enough.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Jeneki wrote:Awesome. I think the only visibility issues I had were in Doom mode, when a mob of pink chips get overlapped by some pink bullets. But I got used to sorting them out since the shape is different enough.
Really? I was having visibility issues in a lot of levels. Maybe I'm just going blind, then. I'm old, lol :3
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Update with even more visual clean-up stuff. The previously red and green enemies in Level 5 are now grayscale, and the first background in Level EX 2 is now grayscale also. Also, the winged enemy in Level 2 now has the bright green areas on it's wing edges cleaned up and made grayscale.

Much less red!

This is what happens when you try to fly and take screenshots at the same time. Oh well, at least you can see the winged enemy's wings no longer have bright green all over them.

Two of the smaller enemies here are now grayscale, the red/green color clash wasn't that nice looking.

Enemies in level 4 now have blue colored areas instead of green.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Finally got around to buying the bundle. I'd never tried the 'Set 2' or 'EX' modes before, so I had no idea these all essentially had two games in one! Really enjoying Set 2 in the original XOP, with its biological opening stage. Hopefully I'll have something to post in the score thread soon. Cheers! :P
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Finally got around to buying the bundle. I'd never tried the 'Set 2' or 'EX' modes before, so I had no idea these all essentially had two games in one! Really enjoying Set 2 in the original XOP at the moment; love the biological theme in the opening stage. Hopefully I'll have something to post in the score thread soon, too. Cheers! :P
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Thanks.

In other news, I've updated XOP this time, with some similar graphic changes to XOP Black.

The bright yellow and orange lava in Level 3 was quite intense looking. I tried toning it down, but nothing worked; if it wasn't super bright, it didn't look like lava anymore. So I changed it to a giant river of blood. Enjoy! :p

psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

What has happended to the dc port of this game?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

psoslayer wrote:What has happended to the dc port of this game?
It was cancelled on my orders to the guys handling the port.
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

Udderdude wrote:
psoslayer wrote:What has happended to the dc port of this game?
It was cancelled on my orders to the guys handling the port.
not cool

it was so bad?
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I'm more curious on what happened to XOP G. (I'm pretty sure XOP white was intended as a joke, but I never got to see the screen, so idk)

and I never found the lava to be bright or anything, but a river of blood is always a plus.