Brexit: Leave wins!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

Brexit vote: should the UK leave the EU or not?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:39 am

Help Bonus! Is BDSM good?
No votes
Help Bonus! Is BDSM bad?
No votes

Total votes: 0

MintyTheCat

Re: Brexit: Leave wins!

Post by MintyTheCat »

Immryr wrote:Well, in a big surprise to no one, the UN has released a damning report saying the Tory's austerity policies since 2009 are in breach of international human rights.
http://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/n ... 00287.html
If only people could see that this is the cause of our country's problems, not the EU, not immigrants....
This angers me: I have said this for many years and I saw a definite change for the worse from after 2008. When I returned to the UK it felt like the country was under 'war conditions'. When I was younger no one relied on food banks to survive. And it is very true that the UK government sold off most of its social housing in the late 1980s/early 90s and all the while has pretty poor law surrounding rental law. What we have seen is essentially no real control over what landlords can charge - unlike Germany which has very good law surrounding rental contracts and what's more the German state is still the largest landlord by far.

By disallowing some people from receiving any welfare at all with this 'sanction' system you essentially turn people to crime. By disallowing under twenty five year olds receiving any welfare - and keep in mind that the unemployment numbers are higher between 18-25, you give many of those younger people no real start in life. If there were abundant, useful, training and education schemes in place to develop useful and marketable skills within this younger people especially then that at least would give many of them a start but no, they have very little to fall back on and what's more the cost of higher-education within the UK is one of the highest and if not the highest within the EU. I have said this before: I barely recognise the UK that I was raised and thank my lucky stars I got out when I did but that doesn't help the other citizens who cannot leave and just have to survive the situation.

This angers me no end and I can recommend a book if any of you fancy looking into how policies changed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Careless-State ... elss+state
More Bromances = safer people
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Durandal wrote:Live a life of free will and independent thought, live a life without memes.
Sadly, it keys into the majority's need to 'belong to the group'. It takes balls and insight to stand on your own two feet and think for yourself and that will most likely make a person 'unpopular'. Throw popularity to the wind and think for yourself I say.
More Bromances = safer people
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Durandal wrote: It's not the definition of the word, it's rather that the word itself is an overused meme which often ruins the tone of the conversation and often shows that the user is incapable of thinking on their own by being incredibly mentally susceptible to the internet equivalent of a common cold. Nobody wants to sift through dozens of posts of THIS IS SPARTAAAAA and arrow to the knee either. It's about showing some respect to the people around you.

Live a life of free will and independent thought, live a life without memes.
That's precisely why people use it, because it makes people mad to the point where they write articles about it

it's comparable to responding to arguments with smug anime faces and pepes
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

there is a time and place to bait people into writing frustrated responses
that time is not now, the place is not here
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I'm okay with certain memes, and personal in-jokes with friends (if you can call those "memes" in the internet lingo, though they probably fit the technical definition of the word). It really depends.

For example, I've taken a liking to the term "waifu", because it's cute. But I don't enjoy reading the endless spam of "best girl" vs "ur waifu is shit", because its repetitive as fuck and also boring. For me it's mostly just an in-joke with friends for when one of us defaults to picking the girl in a fighting game and such.

There's my meditation on memes.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

funny / apt tweet doing the rounds at the minute.

system11

Post by system11 »

Mess gets bigger each day - it's quite interesting to see what the results of a non-binding vote have caused. They didn't even take a day to consider it as a group before turning on eachother, resigning, etc.

And now I find myself in a position where someone I've long regarded as an agent of the devil, if not the actual devil, Teresa May, is probably the only hope we have of a decent outcome of some kind. The rest are pantomime horses (to be fair the other woman standing is just less experienced). All three of the men are definitely pantomime horses though. We've got someone who employed his friend on the quiet (and has a problem with gay people), we've got a religious nut who thinks you can "cure" gay people, or someone who looks like Rick Moranis crossed with a potato, who has just managed to betray someone who trusted him (Boris the Pantomime Horse) so thoroughly that it will go in the history books.

So my money is on Teresa, at least she won't stand for this shit.

As for Labour....

System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

is that Vacant, the 13-time WWE Champion?
system11

Post by system11 »

Bananamatic wrote:is that Vacant, the 13-time WWE Champion?
Are they looking for a job in politics? We have loads of vacancies, and no experience required!
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

system11 wrote:Rick Moranis crossed with a potato
Just wonderful :)
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I am pretty amazed at the total meltdown of Labour. You would think that this would be their chance with the Tories in disarray, but they must really hate Corbyn. You know what this means? More seats for UKIP!
system11 wrote:someone who looks like Rick Moranis crossed with a potato, who has just managed to betray someone who trusted him (Boris the Pantomime Horse) so thoroughly that it will go in the history books.
I too am astounded at the level of opportunism on display. It's as if Cassius announced his candidacy for consul while still sticking his knife firmly into Caesar's back. Is Gove so delusional to think that people will trust him after going in a few days from "I don't have what it takes to be prime minister, BoJo's my mate" to "Boris ain't a leader, but I can be good in a pinch ;) "?? It's not like Boris Johnson did himself any favors, but how else can you read these events?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

EmperorIng wrote:I am pretty amazed at the total meltdown of Labour. You would think that this would be their chance with the Tories in disarray, but they must really hate Corbyn. You know what this means? More seats for UKIP!
They need to get him out by 2020, or they'll irreversibly be transformed into a party that cares a little about human life.

Can't have that. Not as many bribes.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Don't mind me! Just posting some naive babydiaper pie in the sky safe space lefty stuff!
Spoiler

Also the guardian seems to have aligned itself with the Corbyn coup meaning that he's being shafted in every single newspaper. Great stuff.
Some MP is even playing the race card against him now, clutching at straws. The media is having a field day compared to when Boris actually said racist things in an article.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

That sneaky muhfucka... Image I NEVER TRUST A POTATO
system11

Post by system11 »

What new adventures will today bring?

They should just get it over with and choose a new leader today via a live televised staring competition.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Time for the BSP to snatch power and rule the UK.
2017 GDP + 20%.

edit: BREAKING NEWS: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 13261.html
Öxit next ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

system11 wrote:What new adventures will today bring?
Well.. now you can play as jeremy corbyn.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/ca ... .lm2xkLNVE
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Nobody in politics knows how to support the people.

The first thing I would do is control home prices by stopping banks lending more then 3x annual salary, stopping people buying up 2nd and 3rd homes to rent out and force the land owners who are sitting on development land to sell it so we can bring homes to reasonable prices.

Once that is done and we started housing people on regular incomes and sort them out, then we can talk about the "outsiders".

Right now we have 3 types of people.. Those who talk the talk and make money, those who sit on their arses all day and do fuck all and make money.. and the working class people who can't afford a life worth having. I think my plan will put the chess pieces in the correct places.

All the people want is a nice environment in which to live. But in England, its only for the wealthy and for the most part, not worth working for unless you don't want any working bones left by the time your 30.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

New opinion amongst the younger Bremain voters seems to be that there need to be changes implemented in our voting and democratic system in order to prevent something like the majority voting for Brexit again, especially considering there was a higher voter turnout amongst the elderly in favor of a Brexit rather than the younger Bremain voters, and the elderly won't have to live as long with the consequences of who they vote for, so let's make those inexperienced geezers' votes count less!

Only now has this idea come to light.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to hold that opinion. Who exactly is this catching on with?

(the obvious pushback to the idea is that if some people's votes should count less, the young are both less experienced and have contributed less to the country overall so are perhaps fortunate that they get an equivalent vote to ignore in the first place)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Burningvigor

Post by Burningvigor »

Durandal wrote:New opinion amongst the younger Bremain voters seems to be that there need to be changes implemented in our voting and democratic system in order to prevent something like the majority voting for Brexit again, especially considering there was a higher voter turnout amongst the elderly in favor of a Brexit rather than the younger Bremain voters, and the elderly won't have to live as long with the consequences of who they vote for, so let's make those inexperienced geezers' votes count less!

IMO it should be required by law to vote. Anyone who are younger then 30 has to be employed or at one point employed full time with a degree before being allowed to vote.

I feel anyone who hasn't worked in the real world doesn't have the experience to make sound judgement on laws. They tend to be influenced by parents / teachers and have not fully developed their own independent thought.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Burningvigor wrote:
Durandal wrote:New opinion amongst the younger Bremain voters seems to be that there need to be changes implemented in our voting and democratic system in order to prevent something like the majority voting for Brexit again, especially considering there was a higher voter turnout amongst the elderly in favor of a Brexit rather than the younger Bremain voters, and the elderly won't have to live as long with the consequences of who they vote for, so let's make those inexperienced geezers' votes count less!

IMO it should be required by law to vote. Anyone who are younger then 30 has to be employed or at one point employed full time with a degree before being allowed to vote.

I feel anyone who hasn't worked in the real world doesn't have the experience to make sound judgement on laws. They tend to be influenced by parents / teachers and have not fully developed their own independent thought.
Yeah, nothing helps develop independent thought like flipping burgers 40 hours a week.

How about instead of letting powerful corporations have individual control over who has the right to vote through their hiring and firing practices, why not simplify the process by letting them just pay politicians directly for political favors?

Oh wait...
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Burningvigor

Post by Burningvigor »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Burningvigor wrote:

Yeah, nothing helps develop independent thought like flipping burgers 40 hours a week.

How about instead of letting powerful corporations have individual control over who has the right to vote through their hiring and firing practices, why not simplify the process by letting them just pay politicians directly for political favors?

Oh wait...
Not sure what you're trying to say against my idea.

Are you saying that someone who decided to be a burger flipper till the age of 30 are still sheep voters? Or are you saying you should be allowed to vote no matter what your education or age?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

He's pointing out that employment doesn't necessarily confer important insights into life or government, and that by linking voting rights to employment you allow the people in power to shape the electorate to their benefit. In other words, if your goal is to ensure an effective democracy you'll need a different plan.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Burningvigor

Post by Burningvigor »

CStarFlare wrote:He's pointing out that employment doesn't necessarily confer important insights into life or government, and that by linking voting rights to employment you allow the people in power to shape the electorate to their benefit. In other words, if your goal is to ensure an effective democracy you'll need a different plan.
I see. Well maybe something simple like you have to be 30+ before you can vote? I really don't think 18 year olds should be able to vote on important matters, because there is so much brainwashing during school life.

Voting should be mandatory though for all people eligible. There really needs to be an easier way to let voters vote though.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Isn't it the 50+ who massively voted leave when the younger chose to remain ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Burningvigor wrote:I really don't think 18 year olds should be able to vote on important matters, because there is so much brainwashing during school life.
For the record I know several senior citizens who held full time jobs, paid their bills, and are fucking morons who will obediently think whatever the boob tube tells them to think.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The sort of "brainwashing" you speak of happens at all stages of life; the young do lack experience, but for better or worse aren't as set in their ways as their elders. In any event, there's only so much an age limit can do to further democracy, especially compared to other factors.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... kip-leader
Nigel Farage is stepping down as leader of Ukip, saying he has done his bit for the cause of Britain leaving the EU.

Speaking at a press conference in Westminster, he said it was time to get his life back after successfully campaigning for the UK to vote for Brexit.

“During the the referendum I said I wanted my country back … now I want my life back,” Farage said on Monday.

It is the third time he has resigned as Ukip leader, but he ruled out coming back again in the future and claimed standing as an MP was no longer on his bucket list.

Farage, 52, was originally leader from 2006 to 2009 and came back to the job after the 2010 election. He then stepped down after the 2015 election, only to “unresign” and return to fight the campaign to leave the EU.

Farage on Monday insisted this resignation was for good but raised the prospect of taking some role in negotiating Britain’s exit from the EU, saying he “might have something to give”.

He said Ukip was instrumental in winning the referendum for the leave campaign and insisted it would continue as a party in its current form. Part of Ukip’s role in future would be to stop “weakness or appeasement from the British government” when it comes to negotiating Brexit, he said.

Farage said it would not be easy to let go as he feels “part ownership of the Ukip brand” but it was the right time to leave.

The race will now begin to find a successor, with possible candidates including deputy leader Paul Nuttall, immigration spokesman Steven Woolfe, culture spokesman Peter Whittle, Suzanne Evans, who is currently suspended, or the party’s only MP, Douglas Carswell.

Carswell, who has denied he wants to be leader and has frequently clashed with Farage, tweeted a smiley face emoji in response to the resignation.

Farage declined to be drawn on who should be the new leader but said someone would be in place before its autumn conference.

He also refused to say who he backed as the new Tory leader, but that it must be one of the three who backed Brexit. But he hinted at possibilities for closer cooperation between the Tories and Ukip in future.

He said if there were an election this autumn, he would not want Ukip to stand against Brexit MPs.

In a statement, Farage said: “I have decided to stand aside as leader of Ukip. The victory for the ‘leave’ side in the referendum means that my political ambition has been achieved. I came into this struggle from business because I wanted us to be a self-governing nation, not to become a career politician.

“Ukip is in a good position and will continue, with my full support to attract a significant vote. Whilst we will now leave the European Union, the terms of our withdrawal are unclear. If there is too much backsliding by the government and with the Labour party detached from many of its voters then Ukip’s best days may be yet to come.”

Answering questions from reporters, Farage said he hoped there would not be “weakness or, frankly, appeasement” of the EU in the UK’s negotiations to leave. Whoever took over from David Cameron needed to argue from a position of strength due to the EU’s reliance on trade with Britain, Farage argued. He said: “We need a prime minister who recognises that we’ve got the trump cards.”

Farage said he and other Ukip MEPs would remain in the European parliament until the UK left and the roles no longer existed, something he hoped would happen within two years. He added: “The Ukippers will have been the turkeys who voted for Christmas.”
what the hell is going on anymore
Xyga wrote:
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Durandal wrote:what the hell is going on anymore
When $2.1 trillion evaporates overnight, you know someone's gonna get clipped!