OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rune

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by Rune »

Hi, guys. First time posting but been lurking the forums for a while now. Mainly because of this great project here.
Am I still able to place a preorder here?
Midnight Milkshake

Post by Midnight Milkshake »

Pre-ordered the complete version!
marqs

Post by marqs »

Well over 50 people have now made a pre-order :), and majority have selected a complete unit as expected. I still leave the form open for some time - reservations after the first 50 are served (on reservation order) after the first batch has successfully shipped.

Below are answers to some common comments/questions:

* VGA output

DIY-kit has HDMI output (without audio), while the complete unit has DVI-D output (only digital). VGA output would have raised the costs and design time plus majority would use only digital output, which are the reasons why it was left out. HDMI/DVI-D to VGA converters are relatively cheap - there's some discussion on those on previous pages and on other threads.

* RGB-SCART input

This input supports only RGB video - composite to SCART adapters won't work. A separate revision with RGB21 connector instead of SCART might be possible if there's enough demand.

* PAL compatibility

288p and 576i @50Hz are supported if the display supports 576p. Linetriple cannot unfortunately used with PAL sources.

* EU/USA shipping

Shipping costs (excluding packaging materials etc.) for economy class should be around 10-15 EUR to USA, and 7-10 EUR to Europe.

* Payment

I haven't examined the options yet, but most likely at least Paypal will be supported.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Another question. Since the pre-order page says "open source", would it be possible to add audio to the DIY version with an unofficial firmware? Or is the audio not connected to the FPGA / HDMI transmitter?
Ruprit

Post by Ruprit »

I mainly lurk, but I felt it was important to post, considering I pre-ordered. I also wanted to voice my support in this project. It looks like you have addressed every issue that I currently have with my XRGB-Mini.
Tranquilite

Post by Tranquilite »

Wow, I nearly missed pre-orders. Submitted form for DIY kit. I've done just enough SMD soldering work to think this is a good idea.
viletim

Post by viletim »

marqs wrote:
Unseen wrote:I'm slightly worried about the vertical LCD - to me it seems to be a likely point of failure, either by shearing it off when force is applied from behind or breaking it when the converter is packed away in a tight space and pressure is applied to the side.
That's true, but there's noy many options. Ideally the whole system would be in a metallic case like 80s electronics, but that's way out of scope for a DIY project. A small amount of glue holds the display quite firmly in position so it shouldn't get detached easily by accident, but of course packaging must be done carefully.
Listen to Unseen. The display mounting is poor and can break from normal handling. It will cost you later in returns if you don't fix it now. Why not put the display under the clear plastic? Take advantage of the transparent shell.
Rune

Post by Rune »

As long as the product gets to me in working condition, I'm sure I could take care of it without breaking the LCD off. But that's just me.

Having said that, would it be possible to have the LCD lying flat on the PCB rather than standing up?
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Already pre-ordered some days ago :D

I hope i finaly get something that just works.
As much as i like to read about the subject im getting tired of fiddling about with cables, converters and scalers.

Can we expect a preview/review from fudoh? :D
marqs

Post by marqs »

blizzz wrote:Another question. Since the pre-order page says "open source", would it be possible to add audio to the DIY version with an unofficial firmware? Or is the audio not connected to the FPGA / HDMI transmitter?
That would require a separate audio ADC chip.
viletim wrote:Listen to Unseen. The display mounting is poor and can break from normal handling. It will cost you later in returns if you don't fix it now. Why not put the display under the clear plastic? Take advantage of the transparent shell.
Rune wrote:Having said that, would it be possible to have the LCD lying flat on the PCB rather than standing up?
Mounting the LCD horizontally would certainly be more robust, but from usability standpoint it'd be a nightmare. You'd need to walk on front of the device every time you'd want to access settings. Also, that would require increasing PCB area. Another set of spacers and plexiglass on top of the current one would probably be the best compromise here - this 'sandwich'-solution would keep the screen completely under the top plexiglass.
danikei

Post by danikei »

Thanks for the answer marqs! :)
Just one more thing, I preordered as soon as I read your post (sunday I think it was) but since I did it from my phone I'm not sure if I was supposed to get an email confirming or anything like that... Is there a way to check if you got the google docs form?

Can't wait to January now! :D :D :D
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

blizzz wrote:Can we still test if 720p will work with the modeline from last year? Seems to work perfectly fine on my Sony TV.
Scratch that. I tried it again with linux to make sure it actually uses the modeline and it didn't work this time. My TV just says "unsupported format". :(

I guess Windows just defaulted back to the standard 720p mode?

Edit: Also tested the 720p modeline with my SC-500N1 capture card. It does get a picture, but it is slightly shifted to the right and it looks like chroma is inverted.
marqs

Post by marqs »

danikei wrote:Just one more thing, I preordered as soon as I read your post (sunday I think it was) but since I did it from my phone I'm not sure if I was supposed to get an email confirming or anything like that... Is there a way to check if you got the google docs form?
It's there, but unfortunately you didn't make into the first 50.
blizzz wrote:Scratch that. I tried it again with linux to make sure it actually uses the modeline and it didn't work this time. My TV just says "unsupported format". :(

I guess Windows just defaulted back to the standard 720p mode?

Edit: Also tested the 720p modeline with my SC-500N1 capture card. It does get a picture, but it is slightly shifted to the right and it looks like chroma is inverted.
That's a bummer. I had a chance to test BenQ W1070 projector today, which happily accepted those special 720p modes.
danikei

Post by danikei »

marqs wrote:It's there, but unfortunately you didn't make into the first 50.
:cry: I'll just cry quietly in a corner then, waiting for time to pass.
Dammit, thought I was fast enough. Anyway, guess I'll just read all the reviews while mine gets done. Or you know, if anyone decides not to go through with their complete version preorder, pm me!! 8)
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

marqs wrote:Well over 50 people have now made a pre-order :)
Have you sent any sort of confirmation mail out to the first 50 people yet? Thanks!
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Just tested the 720p modeline with my HP w2448hc monitor. No issues.

Will the linetripled output be 1280x720, or 960x720? For displays with a 16:10 panel the 960px wide output would be better, since you get extra borders on the top and bottom with a 16:9 source.
marqs

Post by marqs »

RGB32E wrote: Have you sent any sort of confirmation mail out to the first 50 people yet? Thanks!
Not yet - I should do that next.
blizzz wrote:Just tested the 720p modeline with my HP w2448hc monitor. No issues.

Will the linetripled output be 1280x720, or 960x720? For displays with a 16:10 panel the 960px wide output would be better, since you get extra borders on the top and bottom with a 16:9 source.
The active area is 1280x720, but the real visible width depends on the sampling mode (e.g. 256*4=1024px) and the rest is black border. It's easy to modify how much of the total width is marked as active, so you can try reducing that to 960px in the modeline and see if it still works with your monitor.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

marqs wrote:Well over 50 people have now made a pre-order :), and majority have selected a complete unit as expected. I still leave the form open for some time - reservations after the first 50 are served (on reservation order) after the first batch has successfully shipped.

Below are answers to some common comments/questions:

* VGA output

DIY-kit has HDMI output (without audio), while the complete unit has DVI-D output (only digital). VGA output would have raised the costs and design time plus majority would use only digital output, which are the reasons why it was left out. HDMI/DVI-D to VGA converters are relatively cheap - there's some discussion on those on previous pages and on other threads.

* RGB-SCART input

This input supports only RGB video - composite to SCART adapters won't work. A separate revision with RGB21 connector instead of SCART might be possible if there's enough demand.

* PAL compatibility

288p and 576i @50Hz are supported if the display supports 576p. Linetriple cannot unfortunately used with PAL sources.

* EU/USA shipping

Shipping costs (excluding packaging materials etc.) for economy class should be around 10-15 EUR to USA, and 7-10 EUR to Europe.

* Payment

I haven't examined the options yet, but most likely at least Paypal will be supported.
Just to clarify when using the complete kit for a 31 khz VGA monitor..

Would I adding any input lag if I used a DVI-D to Vga Cable?
Copyright 1987
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

there's no such thing, but if you add a DVI/HDMI to VGA converter it will work and don't add additional lag.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Fudoh wrote:
there's no such thing, but if you add a DVI/HDMI to VGA converter it will work and don't add additional lag.

That's what I'm talking bout. Thanks for that 8)
Copyright 1987
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

marqs wrote:It's easy to modify how much of the total width is marked as active, so you can try reducing that to 960px in the modeline and see if it still works with your monitor.

Code: Select all

Modeline "960x720_custom" 80.4078 960 1370 1495 1705 720 732 741 786 -hsync -vsync
That modeline worked. My monitor is a bit confused and just displays 47kHz 60Hz as the resolution, but the image is perfectly fine and scaled to fill the whole screen vertically.
nio

Post by nio »

i cant find the order link :-/
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

nio wrote:i cant find the order link :-/
Presumably Unseen took it down because the initial 50 pre-orders have been reached.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
marqs

Post by marqs »

bobrocks95 wrote:Presumably Unseen took it down because the initial 50 pre-orders have been reached.
The link is still there at page 9. The first 50 orders was already reached in the first 24 hours, but I still keep the form open for further orders. I'll also write the confimation mail to those lucky 50 first thing tomorrow.
lev11

Post by lev11 »

Is OSSC the name your going for with this device marqs? 8)
Open Source Scan Converter.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

marqs wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Presumably Unseen took it down because the initial 50 pre-orders have been reached.
The link is still there at page 9. The first 50 orders was already reached in the first 24 hours, but I still keep the form open for further orders. I'll also write the confimation mail to those lucky 50 first thing tomorrow.
I sent the form first thing, but I haven't payed for anything. This is normal? I didn't see a payment link but I jumped on that form
Copyright 1987
marqs

Post by marqs »

lev11 wrote:Is OSSC the name your going for with this device marqs? 8)
Yeah, that name was originally meant to be used just during early development but I haven't come up with better name yet.
Hoagtech wrote:I sent the form first thing, but I haven't payed for anything. This is normal? I didn't see a payment link but I jumped on that form
It's more like a reservation. Also, the price given is subject to change so it's not time for payments yet.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

marqs wrote:
lev11 wrote:Is OSSC the name your going for with this device marqs? 8)
Yeah, that name was originally meant to be used just during early development but I haven't come up with better name yet.
Hoagtech wrote:I sent the form first thing, but I haven't payed for anything. This is normal? I didn't see a payment link but I jumped on that form
It's more like a reservation. Also, the price given is subject to change so it's not time for payments yet.
Thanks for getting back. I haven't checked my email and I saw your email explaining all my questions I just had.

Happy thanksgiving and the rest of the season marqs :P
Copyright 1987
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Preordered finally, really hoping the second batch comes quickly or some user gets out of the first order to take his place.

One silly question, I want to build a tiny lcd setup to run PCB with the OSSC, what 17"-20" LCD would choose? CRT it's not an option
Working in the japanese language achievement
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Not sure if this has been covered:

How well do most modern displays deal with off-spec refresh rates on DVI/HDMI inputs? Will a SNES work on a modern display? a EU console playing US titles? I assume you've tested some displays and have some idea on this.