Sony W6 series LCD review - 2013's best gaming TV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xyga

Re: Sony W6 series LCD review - 2013's best gaming TV

Post by Xyga »

dosu wrote:will get the w700b
Well it's undoubtedly one of the best 32" TV sets available, if not the best, and it's perfect for consoles, but it's kind of expensive for what it offers.
Especially considering - if that's important - it's not easy to tate (requires a VESA adpater plus a massive rotating stand like the Crimson DS134 for instance).

A monitor like the BenQ BL3200PT features a 32" VA panel too, but with higher 2560x1440 resolution (good for PC and emulators if that matters) and stock rotating stand.
It lacks component and scart of course, and the lag is a little bit higher than the Sony, but the pixel response times should be faster and achievable color accuracy superior with some calibration effort.

Both are expensive solutions, methinks good 32" displays for gaming today are a luxury (good 27" monitors are much cheaper).
The 42W700 is expensive too at first glance, but its size makes it okay for playing in yoko, because 25.5" 3:4 area isn't that much smaller than a Japanese candy cab's actual 27".
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
dosu

Post by dosu »

Yeah I checked out the BL3200PT but I don't have a need for anything over 1080p and at around $100 more than the w700b and tests from a few sites showing 2 frames at around 28 ms input lag seems like a turn off compared to the 1 frame or so from the w700b.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Xyga wrote:Both are expensive solutions, methinks good 32" displays for gaming today are a luxury (good 27" monitors are much cheaper).
It also seems that 27" monitors have, recently, also been much better displays than the 30"+ size overall. One caveat here, though: Panel makers are increasing shipments in the 30"+ range so we may start seeing better affordable panels at this size soon.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yup let's hope so!
Still, until something better indeed appears, I'd love an affordable 32" 1080p IPS with good response and lag as low as the W7's, or even faster.
I wonder sometimes how doable/hard it would be to modify a low-tier model like an entry LG into something better and faster... I bet replacing or bypassing the built-in scaler is no simple task, as it's part of a whole with a power and controller board, with its own firmware etc.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

TBH I'm a little overwhelmed. Can somebody point me to the cheapest sub 1 frame lag set for 42" and 50"?
I also tried to find the W6 in the OP for sale, but couldn't.
Spoiler
I'd also buy used from a trusted forum member :oops:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The W6 tested here by Fudoh has been discontinued, the successor model is the W7, precisely KDL-42W705B (I think it's the same part number in Germany).
It's the only sub-1 frame set along with it's 32" version (at least it is by the commonly accepted conception of 'display lag' on the market).

The 50" sets are not as fast but the difference is only of a few ms, i.e.;
50W700B - not verified but barely more than the W42, maybe just 16ms or a hair beyond.
55W950B - 18ms (but it's an IPS panel IIRC)
50W800B - 22ms
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Any chance the W7 series will make it to the US? I believe these are the same TV's but with a different model number due to regional differences.

40" Model http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/son ... 88939.aspx

32" Model http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/son ... 88938.aspx

They only seem to be available in Canada at the moment. :(
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

austin532 wrote:Any chance the W7 series will make it to the US? I believe these are the same TV's but with a different model number due to regional differences.

Unless I'm out of the loop and these are the 2015 models, I've been waiting for the W7 to come to the US for nearly a year now. It won't happen for the 2014 TV's, we just have to hope for another really low-lag model for AND hope that it comes stateside this time.

Again, unless I'm out of the loop and next year's models have already dropped (this is all incredibly confusing at this point).
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

bobrocks95 wrote:
austin532 wrote:Any chance the W7 series will make it to the US? I believe these are the same TV's but with a different model number due to regional differences.

Unless I'm out of the loop and these are the 2015 models, I've been waiting for the W7 to come to the US for nearly a year now. It won't happen for the 2014 TV's, we just have to hope for another really low-lag model for AND hope that it comes stateside this time.

Again, unless I'm out of the loop and next year's models have already dropped (this is all incredibly confusing at this point).
Nope. Those are the genuine 2014 W7 models, they have been available in Canada since Q1 IIRC.

Some time ago you could get those from NCIXUS (horrendous price).

The W7 won't make it to the US this year, maybe there will be similar series in 2015 that will sell in the US, but I haven't seen anything announced yet.

If you're in the US, importing or driving to Canada are the only options.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Why would they not bring it here? I guess the US doesn't care about input lag as it does picture quality. A real shame. The lowest input lag TV on the US market at the moment is the Sony W950B which is way too expensive and too big for me.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Sony must think US consumers prioritize bigger sizes.
I think I've read somewhere the sales of large screen TVs before the Super Bowl are positively insane, to some manufacturers it might be even more important than Xmas sales.
If that's true then it has probably influenced this market in particular, and even more so since large sizes have become 'affordable'.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Xyga wrote:Sony must think US consumers prioritize bigger sizes.
They do, no doubt about it.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Bigger is not always better especially when it comes to gaming. If this years models are anything like last years then the bigger models have more problems like smearing and worse motion blur.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Not to mention lag and size seem to be somewhat correlated, at least at the largest sizes. Might start to change, but it might not (especially with 4K sets apparently needing to close the gap with regular FHD panel chipsets).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I don't think there's anything about larger screen sizes that makes them inherently have more lag; hopefully manufacturers will catch on at some point? Still waiting to hear about Sony's 2015 lineup...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Alrighty, I just secured myself a used 50w656 for an amazing 450€! 8)
dosu

Post by dosu »

Just picked up the 32W700B, looks and feels great and smooth, too bad I can't find any calibration settings on the net for the 700/705/706b, for game mode
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

If you want real calibration you'll need a colorimeter, but as long as you stay on 'game-original' you have the most 'raw' default picture the W7 can produce.
From there just use something like a calibration DVD/software and adjust with your own eyes.
Re-read the review on first page and thread for other good basic things to know about the W series sets (they have a lot of settings in common).

My personal preference (fitting my own set and eyes);
- game: original
- color: neutral
- gamma: -1
- white balance: adjust R,G,B gain to your liking (mine has G at -8 or -10 for TV & movies, but not for games)
- backlight: 4
- light sensor/eco: off
- details enhancer: low or off
- sound: sport + booster 2
dosu

Post by dosu »

Thanks I'll try that out until I get it to my liking, weird thing is I had a few black dead pixels and I touched the screen and they vanished, not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign that they will die later or something? I have until Jan 4th if I wanted to return/exchange anyway. But I though if they were black that means it's dead and that's about it, maybe they were black stuck pixels?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah, stuck pixels. There are little programs to play supposed to take care of that but I don't know if they're really doing something, nor if it's likely to happen again or not after they're 'unstuck' a first time.
dosu

Post by dosu »

Alright thanks I'll keep an eye out for the pixels, what mode should I use for PC/movies/photos? Seems like there's so many modes and not sure what the difference is seeing how I'd have to adjust all of their settings anyway, seems graphics, general or cinema is the best by default I'd guess
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Don't know since I pretty much only use it for games actually.
Game mode is also the best for PC, but for photo, movies etc I'm not aware of the pros and cons of the other modes.
They're mostly color/gamma/contrast/black/sharpness presets I think.

One of the most delicate things to set after colors is sharpness as described in Fudoh's review, the sharpness slider itself, the details enhancer, smoothing thingy, as well as a few other settings have to be different depending on the type of material you're using (240p/480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p, RGB or YUV, component or HDMI, movies, games, etc).
It's not always easy to find the 'sweet spot' for each as the TV is packed with things you can change and you won't necessarily remember what's best.
But you'll get used to it.

There's a W7/W8 owners thread on avforums that you may find useful... or not (because it's too big!)
http://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-20 ... d.1858674/
Just remember default factory calibration can vary a lot between units, and people don't use the same source materials nor have the same eyes, so the settings they suggest will not always make sense for you.
dosu

Post by dosu »

I know sharpness doesn't but do all those detail smoothing edge enhancers affect input lag? I'm guessing they do. Black corrector and contract enhancer are like dynamic black/contrast so those should be off also then
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I know sharpness doesn't but do all those detail smoothing edge enhancers affect input lag?
no, they don't.
Black corrector and contract enhancer are like dynamic black/contrast so those should be off also then
contrast enhancer set to low isn't the worst option for movies. Really depends on your lightning conditions. For games I don't see any use in those.
dosu

Post by dosu »

Thanks for the help, TV's looking and feeling good with game mode on, not sure the difference between the 2 game modes but I'll stick with the game-original. Blacks are nice and no light bleed, on white and grey screens there's a bit of banding and dirty parts but not sure if exchanging to a new one will be any better or worth it, it's not that bad of banding but for such an expensive 32" I'd expect it to be perfect
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Banding is common on edge-lit screens unfortunately. Full-lit screens are very expensive.
Found my own set has some several months after the purchase, and only after running some color test patterns, otherwise I wouldn't notice it (it's really light).
If yours is noticeable in normal use (not just on unicolor screens) then maybe you should consider exchanging it, if it's not don't bother.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Now that I am on vacation, I finally get to work on my gaming setup, the center of which is my 50W700b. Earlier, I complained of a dim picture, and Xyga suggested that I disable the set's power-saving mode. Wow, what a difference! Thank you, Xyga!

I have noticed that my 480p systems look a lot better when plugged directly into the TV rather than through the Framemeister. Has that been anyone else's experience?
austin532

Post by austin532 »

I'd say yes for the most part. It's well known that the mini has problems with 480p and IMO 480i as well. If your TV has a good upscaler then yes they "should" look better plugging in directly.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

austin532 wrote:I'd say yes for the most part. It's well known that the mini has problems with 480p and IMO 480i as well. If your TV has a good upscaler then yes they "should" look better plugging in directly.
Hmm. I have a problem, then! I have a lot of 240p content on my Wii that I would like to run through the Framemeister. But I also have a lot of 480p content on my Wii that I would NOT like run through the Framemeister. :P Is there a way that I can have it both ways, or am I in a pickle?

Separately, 480p sources look a lot better when plugged into the TV, but those darned jagged edges are crazy. This is why I miss CRTs sometimes. Is there a known solution, like maybe an upscaler for 480p devices? Sort of how like the Framemeister helps out 240p devices, is there an upscaler for 480p?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I agree, most 480p source look better directly connected to the Sony.
Is there a way that I can have it both ways, or am I in a pickle?
you need component matrix switch, so you can run one input directly into the Sony and the other into the Framemeister.

There are upscalers that work very well for 480p sources, but as you probably noticed not all 480p are suited equally well for one upscaler or another. PS2 and DC for example have extremely clean 480p signals, while the Wii is especially fuzzy. Cube and XBox are somewhere in the middle.

Personally I like to run the Wii's signal throug a "hard" scaling engine like a DVDO, PS2 directly to the Sony (or through an ultra-high end scaler like the Crystalio II). The original XBox looks best on the Sony when run through a cheap component to HDMI converter.