New Neo-Geo shmup -- Last Hope [also for DC]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
genetik

Post by genetik »

ROBOTRON wrote:Those of you thinking of buying this game, here is the way the standard version was shipped:

(play asia) sticker
jewel case
insert

Hmm, wasn't there a spine card that came with it?
"When a madman appears thoroughly sane, indeed, it is high time to put him in a strait-jacket."
Edgar A. Poe
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

genetik wrote:
Hmm, wasn't there a spine card that came with it?
Yes...forgot to include it.
Fight Like A Robot!
bVork

Post by bVork »

Well, I was wrong about the L+R thing. Wouldn't it have been nice to have some indication that the triggers were supported?

My other complaints remain.
bVork it up!
CIT

Post by CIT »

bVork wrote:Well, I was wrong about the L+R thing. Wouldn't it have been nice to have some indication that the triggers were supported?

Um, it says so in the manual...
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

After spending 2 hours with the game, I can't really recommend buying unless you have already played every other Hori in existence. The gameplay is totally generic. For me, the bullets are even harder to discern from shrapnel and scenery than they are in garegga. The graphics look muddy even via RGB on my commodore 1084s. The only good thing I can really say about it is that the music is nice.

Honestly, unless you have played and mastered Border Down, Gradius V, Gradius Gaiden, Rtype delta, thunderforce 3 - 5, einhander, Plustar, and BLazing Lasers, you really have no business buying this game.

Hell, you'd be better off grabbing a couple of Dojin PC Horis from PaletWeb for the same price. Air Rade Air, Gundemonium, and Angeraze all spring to mind.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

angrycoder wrote:...For me, the bullets are even harder to discern from shrapnel and scenery than they are in garegga.
Thats the same problem I had.

lol...I'm sucking at this game. I've only reached stage 2 in 3 days of play. I got so frustrated I recorded my game to look back and find out why my ship would blow up for no apparent reason. Even in slow motion, I can't understand why I was destroyed.

When you shoot and kill a certain enemy, the ship explodes into these little butterfly things...even after dodging and killing them I would just blow up if I stayed at the top of the screen. The only way I got past that checkpoint was to stay underwater. There are no obstacles above water yet my ship exploded.

:?:

oh well.

Stage two music IS DA BOMB when played through a really good strereo system. I love it. I regret not buying the OST special version.
Fight Like A Robot!
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

ROBOTRON wrote: There are no obstacles above water yet my ship exploded.

haha, funniest thing I've read all day.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

And cue BIG bursting in here and busting people's chops in 3, 2, 1....
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kind of a taboo question but...what's the chance Last Hope works on Kawaks? :oops:
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Blade wrote:Kind of a taboo question but...what's the chance Last Hope works on Kawaks? :oops:
Considering the developers of Last Hope are reading and responding in this thread, I could think of a couple other words other than taboo. :wink:
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

twe wrote:
ROBOTRON wrote: There are no obstacles above water yet my ship exploded.

haha, funniest thing I've read all day.
har, har.

I was trying to upload a video to youtube to show you what I was talking about, but I guess the file was too big or something...even after 30 mins. it was still uploading so I stopped it.
Fight Like A Robot!
Blade

Post by Blade »

Dave_K. wrote:
Blade wrote:Kind of a taboo question but...what's the chance Last Hope works on Kawaks? :oops:
Considering the developers of Last Hope are reading and responding in this thread, I could think of a couple other words other than taboo. :wink:
:!: :!: :!: :!:

Oops....
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
boagman

Post by boagman »

ROBOTRON wrote:I was trying to upload a video to youtube to show you what I was talking about, but I guess the file was too big or something...even after 30 mins. it was still uploading so I stopped it.
Save this for me. I want to see it. Really.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

CIT wrote:
bVork wrote:Well, I was wrong about the L+R thing. Wouldn't it have been nice to have some indication that the triggers were supported?

Um, it says so in the manual...
a little birdie told me his version of the game didn't come with a manual...

tweet tweet
=/
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Be nice... didn't CIT say somewhere back that the manual was all in Japanese? Maybe that's the reason ;)
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

iatneH wrote:Be nice... didn't CIT say somewhere back that the manual was all in Japanese? Maybe that's the reason ;)
Somehow, I doubt it :lol:

These days a game isn't out for 24hrs before it's uploaded to some site on the Internet. I remember a stink or two on OCR because Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance was able to be downloaded mere hours after it was released in the US, and some folks there were bragging about DLing it.
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

There are videos of the first three stages here

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost. ... count=1375

(from Neo-Geo version), file sizes are around 220mb per stage though.

Still worth downloading though :)

Was thinking about starting a hi-score thread here, but don't know if there is enough interest.
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Dave_K. wrote:
Lets hope they are taking notes...
qatmix

Post by qatmix »

Again, not had much freetime to play it since it arrived last week, but Boy is it hard! My initial impressions is that its a game that needed a little more freedom in the players choice throughout the level. After about 40mins I managed to get to the 1st level boss (on Dreamcast normal) and then Im shootign somethign which doesnt seem to flash.. So I have no Idea whats going on..

Also the backgrounds seem very busy at times and they hide the enemy bullets.

However, I am enjoying it and I dont regret buying the game as its only a budget price (for the UK it equals approx £20)

The Music is fantastic BTW.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

boagman wrote:
ROBOTRON wrote:I was trying to upload a video to youtube to show you what I was talking about, but I guess the file was too big or something...even after 30 mins. it was still uploading so I stopped it.
Save this for me. I want to see it. Really.
not to worry...lemme know when you are available and we'll both kick this game's butt. :)
Fight Like A Robot!
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

Have you tried to another site like www.putfile.com ? prehaps the file is too big in size.

Meant to add to my post earlier, that last week I compressed those videos on neo-geo.com to about 22mb each, .mp4 format for viewing either on a PSP or on a PC with VLC player or similar, links:

Last Hope stage 1 http://putstuff.putfile.com/43370/3457644

Last Hope stage 2 http://putstuff.putfile.com/43373/3926024

Last Hope stage 3 http://putstuff.putfile.com/43376/7547492
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

DavidHolliss wrote:
Have you tried to another site like www.putfile.com ? prehaps the file is too big in size.

Meant to add to my post earlier, that last week I compressed those videos on neo-geo.com to about 22mb each, .mp4 format for viewing either on a PSP or on a PC with VLC player or similar, links:

Last Hope stage 1 http://putstuff.putfile.com/43370/3457644

Last Hope stage 2 http://putstuff.putfile.com/43373/3926024

Last Hope stage 3 http://putstuff.putfile.com/43376/7547492
If you want to thank the guy who orginaly uploaded those videos, thank Fakk2 at the Neo-Geo forums.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

People that think that this game is too hard should really revisit their classics (i.e. Rtype II). Quite frankly I found level 1 to be quite easy to go through once I learned the correct path. I play the dreamcast mode on normal setting.
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

yojo! wrote:People that think that this game is too hard should really revisit their classics (i.e. Rtype II). Quite frankly I found level 1 to be quite easy to go through once I learned the correct path. I play the dreamcast mode on normal setting.
You are right, level 1 isnt the worst and level 2 takes some practice and repetition of testing paths. I cant get past the level 2 boss for the life of me though.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Wouldn't it have been nice to have some indication that the triggers were supported?
do you need help to pee also?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
neoalphazero

Post by neoalphazero »

Watched the stage 3 video. The part with the Earth in the backdrop and enemy spitting pods coming from the back is a direct rip from Raxanyber 2 for the PCE CD.

Apparently they just didn't look to R-Type/Pulstar for sickeningly hard shmups. :) *-neo
SkylineR32

Post by SkylineR32 »

Well, my DC copy just arrived and I've enjoyed the 15 minutes I've had with it so far. It feels like a solid game compared to most other DC Homebrews I've played.
Touch Me, I'm Sick

Still Silvergunning after 12 years!
MasterN8

A couple of questions about Last Hope (DC)

Post by MasterN8 »

Hey guys, just got my DC copy today, so I popped it in. Two questions:

1) What are those orbs for? I notice there is a HUD indication of how many I have, but what do I do with them? Maybe they're just for end-of-level bonus?

2) After the game over screen, there is a stat screen. Does anyone know what constitutes "dodging" a bullet?

Thanks,
n8
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Play-Asia wrote:We regret the release date of this limited version is still not confirmed
at the moment. If we have any news, we will update our website.
Guess I'm still waiting.

Jesus, it's like Trizeal all over again. >_<

At any rate, a friend of mine also picked this up, and the first thing I have to say is FUCK the mid-stage checkpoint on Stage 1.

EDIT: Why the hell does T come before S when you cycle through the letters to enter your initials?
Last edited by Skyline on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

Fighter17 wrote:If you want to thank the guy who orginaly uploaded those videos, thank Fakk2 at the Neo-Geo forums.
Your quite right, full credit goes to Fakk2 for the videos.

Spent a couple of hours playing this last night, contrary to the above I found Level 1 quite difficult on normal, it wouldn't be half as difficult if the final checkpoint was at the boss, not a minute before you reach him!

Level's two and three look nicer graphically than one.

Overall a nice game, though overly tough in places imo.

One question though; what's the multiplyer to the right of your score for ?
MasterN8 wrote:2) After the game over screen, there is a stat screen. Does anyone know what constitutes "dodging" a bullet?

Thanks,
n8
Think this is the number of bullets that have hit your shield orb thingy - of course I could be completely wrong.