Console --> Arcade monitor adapter (AVAILABLE, see 1st post)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
viletim

Re: Console --> Arcade monitor adapter

Post by viletim »

Jockel wrote:
I think you misread that or i wasn't stating it clear enough > i ran both the SNES and the Wii through composite to scart adapters and both sent sound. the 360 however doesn't even send sound, but the cable and the box are fine.
The TV automatically switches to any RGB source if it gets a signal- it does not when it's just a composite signal.
Plus i can check it in the TV settings, so no doubt my xbox360 cable sends RGB.

This is a strange one...

You are connecting the cable to the connecter marked 'PERITEL SCART' aren't you? Does the power light on the adapter come on properly (not flicker or anything)?
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Obviously i connected the RGB cable to the "Jap RGB" port...
OH MY GOD this is embarassing.

Anyways:

BAM!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Looking good, Jockel!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Some advice please......

I am looking to connect my PS2 to my tri-sync Naomi Cabinet.

I was going to wire up a PS2 to VGA lead but need to by a sync separator IC and caps etc. After reading some of the info on this thread I suspect I may not get the results I require with this method. Which leads me on to this.......

Can I use this board discussed on this thread with my 15 pin VGA Naomi tri-sync..... I suspect not as I don't see any 15 pin VGA output socket on this board.

Regards,
Shaun
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

fagin wrote:Some advice please......

I was going to wire up a PS2 to VGA lead but need to by a sync separator IC and caps etc. After reading some of the info on this thread I suspect I may not get the results I require with this method. Which leads me on to this.......

Can I use this board discussed on this thread with my 15 pin VGA Naomi tri-sync..... I suspect not as I don't see any 15 pin VGA output socket on this board.

Regards,
Shaun
For fagin,

Since you're correct about this Scart to Jamma adapter not having a 15-pin VGA output interface, it simply plugs into the 56-pin Jamma edge interface of your Naomi cab. Your monitor will auto-sync to the correct setting which would be 15kHz low-resolution. Easy as pie.

You'd need to pick up an PSX Japanese 21-pin RGB cable and set the output to "RGB" instead of "Component" in the User's setting screen menu. This same RGB cable will also work just fine on a PSX or a PS3 console as well (you'd select RGB/Scart output on the PS3 video output selection screen). SCEI made such dedicated PS2 to VGA adapters but you needed a "Sync on Green" capable PC monitor to get it to display properly and was included with the Official Sony PS2 Linux Kit back in the day.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
fagin

Post by fagin »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
fagin wrote:Some advice please......

Regards,
Shaun
For fagin,

Since you're correct about this Scart to Jamma adapter not having a 15-pin VGA output interface, it simply plugs into the 56-pin Jamma edge interface of your Naomi cab. Your monitor will auto-sync to the correct setting which would be 15kHz low-resolution. Easy as pie.

You'd need to pick up an PSX Japanese 21-pin RGB cable and set the output to "RGB" instead of "Component" in the User's setting screen menu. This same RGB cable will also work just fine on a PSX or a PS3 console as well (you'd select RGB/Scart output on the PS3 video output selection screen). SCEI made such dedicated PS2 to VGA adapters but you needed a "Sync on Green" capable PC monitor to get it to display properly and was included with the Official Sony PS2 Linux Kit back in the day.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I am not using arcade boards in my cabs, so it must be able to connect to a 15 pin VGA connection (I am using PC and 360 at the moment). :(
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Jockel wrote:BAM!
So is this XB360 running at 15khz interlaced via SCART? If so, do you get any sprite tearing ala Mushi PS2?
viletim

Post by viletim »

fagin wrote:I am looking to connect my PS2 to my tri-sync Naomi Cabinet.

That's correct, my adapter boards are best suited to standard res monitors with JAMMA wiring already in place. I think your original idea of a PS2 to VGA cable with a simple sync separator circuit will give the best results in your particular situation.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Dave_K. wrote:
Jockel wrote:BAM!
So is this XB360 running at 15khz interlaced via SCART? If so, do you get any sprite tearing ala Mushi PS2?
Better ask someone else who is anal enough about it- for me the picture looks fine.
ckong

Post by ckong »

Today I finally had the opportunity to play a bit with this adapter. I connected both my XBOX360's via this adpater to my New Astro City, and although the game picture is very crisp and the sound is very good, I do have horizontal distortion lines on screen, see the pics.

My setup: Asian xbox 360 (60 hz) and European xbox 360 (50hz or 60 hz), both connected with an official Microsoft Scart cable.

When I connect the Asian xbox 360, there are numerous distortion lines, appr. 10 cm from each other and scrolling slowly from bottom to top.

When I connect the European xbox 360, then I have the same effect as with the Asian 360 in Pal 60hz mode, but there is only one, steady, distortion line when the 360 is in Pal 50hz mode.

What could be the cause of this?
viletim

Post by viletim »

ckong,

That be power supply noise! Is your power resistor (white thing) mounted?
rtw

Post by rtw »

viletim wrote:What's a 'chinch to scart adapter'?
Discovered what this is today :)

cinch = RCA plug
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
viletim

Post by viletim »

rtw wrote:

cinch = RCA plug
Must be one of those English-German reappropriations... Similar to somebody from Germany talking about their 'handy' and being confused when you say you don't understand.

I call them phono plug myself, I don't want to be associated Thomson (C.E.) in any any way or shape or form and generally try to avoid spelling out initials unless they form an acronym.
ckong

Post by ckong »

viletim wrote:ckong,

Thanks for the info. :) No, I didn't mount it, I can't find it, can't remember if it was in the enveloppe with the adapter. Did probably not check the enveloppe good enough before I threw it away :oops: ) Never mind, I will get a new one from an electronics shop.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

viletim wrote:
rtw wrote:

cinch = RCA plug
Must be one of those English-German reappropriations... Similar to somebody from Germany talking about their 'handy' and being confused when you say you don't understand.

I call them phono plug myself, I don't want to be associated Thomson (C.E.) in any any way or shape or form and generally try to avoid spelling out initials unless they form an acronym.
yup, it appears to be german slang
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinch

i did know about the "handy" difference and always laugh at german people that say "handy" in english.
oh, delicious irony. :mrgreen:
s8n

Post by s8n »

viletim and forum , how is the Power Resistor installed ?
antron

Post by antron »

s8n wrote:

viletim and forum , how is the Power Resistor installed ?
across +5V and ground on the green terminal block
s8n

Post by s8n »

hiya antron thanks for the info , i have taken a photo is this right ?

antron

Post by antron »

that's correct. mine wouldn't work at all until I did that.
s8n

Post by s8n »

roger that , thanks for the follow up reply antron.......this photo and info will help others aswell , nice work mate
ckong

Post by ckong »

s8n wrote:this photo and info will help others aswell , nice work mate
+1
s8n

Post by s8n »

just wanted to show viletim and the forum a pic or 2 of a WII running..........phenomenal acheivement viletim

neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

On my AWSD I get a really good representation of scanlines. Bubble bobble, Wonderboy, Kung fu master all look really good on the AWSD using the adapter, yet if I use a 15khz PCB it looks like ass.

Can you explain Viletim?

Not that i'm knocking a good thing hehe.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
aznxtc

Post by aznxtc »

Do you have anymore of these adaptors for sale Viletim?..
elvis

Post by elvis »

s8n wrote:hiya scene and viletim , Official WII Scart Cables are very hard to come buy now for some reason
DealExtreme to the rescue once more:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26859
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26860
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21910

I've bought numerous cables from them without any problems. Most small items come with free shipping.

There's a high likelihood I'll be using one of the above cables to get my Wii in my candy cabinet via my home made SCART->RGB adaptor. The cabinet already has hacked PSOne controllers, and I've got myself some Playstation->GC converters ready to go.
s8n

Post by s8n »

hiya from Melbourne elvis , thanks for your info ...........i actually bought a Madcatz WII RGB Cable about 2 weeks ago and i have a couple of pics above of it running in this Thread.

The cabinet already has hacked PSOne controllers, and I've got myself some Playstation->GC converters ready to go.

I have hacked PS1 Controllers aswell and use PS1 to GC converters to the WII , i am going to keep the Dealextreme links handy as they may help with other things im working on.

thanks again for your input

s8n
elvis

Post by elvis »

s8n wrote:hiya from Melbourne elvis , thanks for your info ...........i actually bought a Madcatz WII RGB Cable about 2 weeks ago and i have a couple of pics above of it running in this Thread.
Ah yes, I'm awake now. :oops:
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Will this Wii Scart cable set work on an NTSC based Wii console?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21910

Thank you in advance...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

You won't get RGB out of it.

Wii are set to output like this:

PAL: RGB/Component/Composite
NTSC-U: S-Video/Component/Composite
NTSC-J: S-Video/Component/Composite

Or something like that, I had to swap the region of my NTSC-J Wii to PAL to get RGB out.

You might be able to use a component to RGB SCART converter though.

:)
aznxtc

Post by aznxtc »

What is a better option using this adaptor or a ultimarc J-PAC adaptor?..Im in USA and want to connect my console to my new astro city.