Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Aru-san wrote:
Alluro wrote:The medal system follows that game. Increase the value of the medals by collecting every last one visible. The next medal that appears will increase in value. Raizing games follow the same principle somewhat.
The only minute difference being that medals level up the moment you pick up a medal and not after clearing the screen of visible medals.
Which is, of course, the "industry standard" I was referring to.

Wouldn't counting caught and missed medals be easier than grouping them? For example, medal value could increase by catching X in a row without missing any and decrease after dying and after missing Y medals in a row without catching any.
Unnatural time-dependent strategy twists like not shooting medal-yielding enemies to clear old medals first would be avoided or reduced.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Ixmucane2 wrote: Which is, of course, the "industry standard" I was referring to.

Wouldn't counting caught and missed medals be easier than grouping them? For example, medal value could increase by catching X in a row without missing any and decrease after dying and after missing Y medals in a row without catching any.
Unnatural time-dependent strategy twists like not shooting medal-yielding enemies to clear old medals first would be avoided or reduced.
You are basically telling me to change the medal system into the Cyvern medal system, which I will not do. This is modeled after the Raiden Fighters medal system. "Unnatural time-dependent strategy twists like not shooting medal-yielding enemies to clear old medals first" is part of the Raiden Fighters medal system. Play Raiden Fighters 1 or 2, and you'll see that the medal system of those games is almost exactly like it is here.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

nZero: I might have beaten you to that, in a way, with my nomination of the Scimitar from Varth, with stipulation of Wide Shot, Smart Pods, and Napalm. Although that was before the inclusion of RF-style Slave ships. Pods+Slaves=vastly overdoing it.

For those of you looking at the new stage list, a bit of explanation for what's going on for some of those...

2035 Portugal (4-A): Orion's purpose is no longer "antimatter-fueled Earth-Shattering Kaboom", but "antimatter-fueled earthquake generator". If you successfully complete the Chechnya/Vietnam boss's condition, you're able to find and attack Orion before it can begin shaking things up. If not, the extra time NEMESIS needs to rally from the difficult operation results in an opening for a second Great Lisbon Earthquake. Priority for the Rhadamanthos Squadron goes to keeping BRES from finishing up the destruction of Lisbon and NEMESIS's research base there.

Dimensional Abyss (6-B): Well, I call it Dimensional REFUGE, but...The current plot plan (from my end, at least) is that this is a relay point through which BRES can quickly send forces to other time frames. The Refuge is also a key point in their plan—anything in there will be safe from paradox once history gets altered (not completely in the fourth dimension anymore). The monsters from the original st. 6 are here, since this is their native terrain (BRES didn't craft them, at least not by much; mostly, they're trained). The boss is Dullahan, a large battleship (think in terms of, for example, the large battlecruiser at the close of Shienryu's sixth stage) that acts as the command vessel for BRES's Earth operations. Well...the boss is actually the bridge module, which detaches from the rest of Dullahan to more easily fight you.

Fomoire (9): A dwarf planet that acts as THE center of BRES's operations. The conquest attempt is pretty much over if this place is taken; the temporal regulators key to the attack can only be made here, because of the particular nebula it's inside. Of course, since BRES doesn't want to lose its most important shipyards and factories, there's one BIG obstacle to get past, even after all the crack forces you waded through: Balor. (No idea whether this should be a fortress, ship, mech, or some other sort of war machine...This one is definitely Alluro's call.)

(Yes, more theme naming at work. NEMESIS, in this case, is a reference to the Greek goddess of justice and vengeance. Rhadamanthos is one of the three main fighter-bomber squadrons, along with Minos and Sarpedon, all named for Greek judges of the afterlife. BRES, Dullahan, Fomoire, and Balor are all from Celtic myth. Dullahan is a kind of Irish version of the Grim Reaper, in this case a Grim Headless Horseman. Fomoire was the origin of the monstrous semi-divine giants called the Fomorians. Bres and Balor were both powerful leaders of the Fomorians.)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I also vote for the Raiden MK-II Beta (although I mentioned this before) because:
- Compared to the standard Raiden MK-II, the MK-IIB has a wide firing range that is not spectacular visually per say but does its job at covering the screen once maxed out in general.
- It is not for slackers as it takes a fair bit of skill to survive with a pea-shooter should you lose your upgrades
- The bomb serves as more-so a panic bomb than an offensive weapon
- It is faster than its red counterpart, therefore it can be used in a different strategic way as such.
I know this is just a lot of fluff, basically what Im saying is that its a good strategic alternative to the Raiden MK-II depending on how you wanna play the game.
Having said that, what does everyone else think of this?
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Alluro wrote:
Ixmucane2 wrote: Which is, of course, the "industry standard" I was referring to.

You are basically telling me to change the medal system into the Cyvern medal system, which I will not do. This is modeled after the Raiden Fighters medal system. "Unnatural time-dependent strategy twists like not shooting medal-yielding enemies to clear old medals first" is part of the Raiden Fighters medal system. Play Raiden Fighters 1 or 2, and you'll see that the medal system of those games is almost exactly like it is here.
I was merely suggesting a more obvious and IMO similar system; it's your game and I don't expect you to compromise your tastes.
I'll try to take the medal rules into account while playing and do something "unnatural".
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

a way to implement ex stages in the main game, from irc:

example 1:
requirement: collected (x milestone number) medals (should not be achievable without miclus) and achieved 100k mode by end of a stage, earliest possible being 2
effect: at the end of stage, should the player qualify, ask the player whether they want to "investigate an interdimensional rift that has been detected" and give a yes/no prompt
if yes, then go to EX stage n (according to milestone)
if not, then notify the player that EX stage n has been unlocked in the level select menu and can be played standalone

using medals poses a particular problem should one get enough medals to qualify for two milestones on a normal stage in which case prompt for the second available EX stage after the first EX stage made available during the normal stage.

(making it possible to chain one EX stage after the other isn't a problem as psyvariar revision would illustrate.)

stage path would end up being 15(16?) stages under your current plan in that case if this system is implemented...allowing the player to access all EX stages in a single run would make a short per-stage length necessary, though. it won't be as much of a problem given a reasonable amount of extends (two to four?) but games going beyond 40 minutes total wears down players.

example 2:
reward single credit runs with EX stages, with the same prompt in example 1, but allow prompts regardless of medal unlocking or collection

stage path would look like this:

Code: Select all

EX6 (true true last boss?)
                               /
        EX3     EX4     EX5  S9
        | \     | \     | \ /
      S3B-S4B-S5B-S6B-S7B-S8
     /   X   X   X   X   /
S1-S2-S3A-S4A-S5A-S6A-S7A
        | /     | /
        EX1     EX2 (these should have an additional branch to the B stages, but just for a chart's sake)
so a person playing the A path on a single credit will be given the option to play the easier EX stages, but fewer of them, while the player playing the B path will be given the option to play the harder ones.

this presents a problem on how one would unlock them as standalones in level select, though. in this case i would unlock them through any condition; such as based on whether they've cleared the game (inclusive) or played the game a preset number of hours (inclusive) or attained them through normal game play.

misc:
you can also address difficulty concerns by rank, i.e. one who would play the EX stage in the game would be playing at high rank, one starting an EX stage from level select will at a lower rank (if rank is selectable) and putting in a scoring incentive (extra micluses designed to make 100k mode easy to get in the EX stage could be used for even more points when played in the main game)
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
bkk

Post by bkk »

Twiddle wrote:"investigate an interdimensional rift that has been detected" and give a yes/no prompt
Blech!

A Darius style map of the entire tree (with of course the TLB requiring the hardest path) would be better. Batrider and RFJ also have excellent stage requirements imo.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

just tried your game last day, and ... what can i say... I EFFIN LOV'IT...

keep up the good work, cant wait to try the final version of it (but i know it will take quite sometime to be released).

i'll keep on testing it, and if i find somehtin else that may go unnoticed, ill let you know.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Video example of custom soundtracks in Xeno Fighters EX Remake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU-o5RbiWE8

Complete with Blackheart dodgeFAIL since I was capturing from the window at original size :oops:
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Haven't got much to say other than I'm loving it so far!

Oh and implement the Benny Hill music now!! (see above post)
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

High-level score attack run through both Stages 1 and 3-B using the Judge Spear, showing all known chaining opportunities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=favBaKrNxaA

Also, I've fixed the exploit of the Judge Spear when rapid auto-fire is used, where there is no limit to the explosions by the napalm, severely overpowering the ship.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Just out of curiosity, will there be auto-fire in one of these next Release Candidates? :S
EddyMRA

Re: Xeno Fighters EX Remake (June 19, 2009: v0.2 RC1)

Post by EddyMRA »

Stage 3-A (1995 Chechnya) preview:

ImageImage
ImageImage

This stage will be short and much less difficult (compared to Stage 3-B) and consist of many tanks and other ground enemies. Expect a lot of sniper tanks to emerge from the building ruins.

The 1943 planes are placeholders in these screenshots. The ruined buildings come from Twin Eagle, a vertical helicopter shmup made by Seta in 1988.
landshark

Re:

Post by landshark »

Alluro wrote:High-level score attack run through both Stages 1 and 3-B using the Judge Spear, showing all known chaining opportunities:

Also, I've fixed the exploit of the Judge Spear when rapid auto-fire is used, where there is no limit to the explosions by the napalm, severely overpowering the ship.
Are you sure you want to "give away" the chaining in your videos? It's kinda like showing a puzzle game and having the demo video show the solutions.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
EddyMRA

Re: Re:

Post by EddyMRA »

landshark wrote:
Alluro wrote:High-level score attack run through both Stages 1 and 3-B using the Judge Spear, showing all known chaining opportunities:

Are you sure you want to "give away" the chaining in your videos? It's kinda like showing a puzzle game and having the demo video show the solutions.
Heh, if there's one thing I learned, seeing a superplay and actually performing what you see in said superplay are different things. I watch the demo plays of Gamecube Ikaruga right in Conquest Mode and I still can't chain worth crap in that game.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Wow, 3-A looks awesome. Keep up the great work Alluro, i'm waiting for 0.2 RC2 :P
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Indeed, I love the progess being made on this. I swear I've been playing this game ever since it came out and can't get enough of it!
I like Level 3-A too, I presume there's a different boss in this one from 3-B?
Having said that though, Ive been using my joystick with this with Joy2Key and found that not only was there a thing with the Napalms but also when you first get an [L], there seems to be more bullets coming out of it through the center than when you use the keyboard. I'll post a screenshot of what it looks like soon.
Heh, if there's one thing I learned, seeing a superplay and actually performing what you see in said superplay are different things. I watch the demo plays of Gamecube Ikaruga right in Conquest Mode and I still can't chain worth crap in that game.
Lol, same goes for me and your game, Alluro, even though its easier with the new scoring system. :lol:
I should mention to you, Alluro, that there's been growing interest in your thread from a little niche of Pokemon lovers from the TST forums ever since I posted about your game as "Arcade-style game featuring Zapdos". Looks like you do have a diverse range of fans beside hardcore SHMUPers after all. :P
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Hm, I'm starting to consider trimming the ship roster down. I've given it some thought, and adding 27 ships to the roster will be excessive. Some will end up being too OP and others will be too useless because it will be hard to come up with weapons systems and bombers for 27 different ships. If I were to reduce the roster, I'd bring it down to 15 ships maximum: 7 stock and 8 cameos. Some suggested cameos will have to be cut, but all currently done cameo ships will remain in the game.

Working on Mushroom Kingdom Fusion and MUGEN has made me get carried away with needlessly large ship/character rosters, and I will break the cycle on this game.

EDIT: @BPzeBanshee:

I notice one of the members in the Pokemon forum you linked to found the debug medal thing by pressing the spacebar. Let that person know that is a debug feature. :P
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Alluro wrote:Hm, I'm starting to consider trimming the ship roster down. I've given it some thought, and adding 27 ships to the roster will be excessive. Some will end up being too OP and others will be too useless because it will be hard to come up with weapons systems and bombers for 27 different ships. If I were to reduce the roster, I'd bring it down to 15 ships maximum: 7 stock and 8 cameos. Some suggested cameos will have to be cut, but all currently done cameo ships will remain in the game.
I think that's probably a good idea. Even with your evident talent, I was wondering how you would make each ship sufficiently different from each other and balanced. As it is, 15 ships is still a generous offering.
My shmup Projects
Finished: Invader! -- Tri Hunter -- Proj Raiden
WIP: Infinity Squadron
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Current cores: Amada Vipros, Phyxius, Zaiva, Xelcor, Ultima-X (or other replacement). 5/7
Current cameos (counting both initial and current): Raiden Mk. II, Judge Spear, Zapdos, Solvalou, Vic Viper, Miyamoto. 6/8

I'm guessing TwinBee and Wild Snail for the remaining two cameos?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Skyknight wrote:Current cores: Amada Vipros, Phyxius, Zaiva, Xelcor, Ultima-X (or other replacement). 5/7
Current cameos (counting both initial and current): Raiden Mk. II, Judge Spear, Zapdos, Solvalou, Vic Viper, Miyamoto. 6/8

Well, if Gemini Canyon will be in the final game, the Gemini Wings ship should be included as well. *fingers crossed for wind shield wiper bomb*
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

emphatic wrote:
Skyknight wrote:Current cores: Amada Vipros, Phyxius, Zaiva, Xelcor, Ultima-X (or other replacement). 5/7

Well, if Gemini Canyon will be in the final game, the Gemini Wings ship should be included as well. *fingers crossed for wind shield wiper bomb*
I set a hard limit of at least 15 total ships until the core game is done. Once that is done, then I can do post-final releases that add new ships. The problem is with having so many ships planned so early is that it sucks away focus from completing the main game. That's the lesson I learned from Mushroom Kingdom Fusion: don't be too overly ambitious so early.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yar, fair enough Alluro.

While we're covering all this, the official name for this remake is going to be "Xeno Fighters 2K9", right?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Yar, fair enough Alluro.

While we're covering all this, the official name for this remake is going to be "Xeno Fighters 2K9", right?
Both "Xeno Fighters Remake" and "Xeno Fighters 2K9" are tentative names. In time, I'd like to come up with a name for this remake that involves more than slapping the current year on to the title.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

How about Xeno Fighters - Pink Bullets? :P
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Well, I dunno for a Xeno Fighters name.....Xeno Fighters: Damages to Dimensions?
Oh, and that picture I of the Joy2Key Judge Spear problem I thought I saw:
Dunno if it looks obvious with the picture but its definitely obvious when using Joy2key + joystick.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Image
Joy2Key seems to have issues with Game Maker games in general. Input lags in Game Maker games with Joy2Key. I personally use Joystick 2 Mouse 3 to play Xeno Fighters using my PS2 DualShock controller connected to a PS2-USB converter. It's a bit hard to set up, but it works perfectly for Game Maker games.

Get it here: http://www.tucows.com/preview/292788
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Xeno Fighters R or Xeno Fighters EX R just to go for the one letter coolness factor.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
nZero

Post by nZero »

Xeno Fighters EX Type-R

New cameo ship: 1993 Honda Civic hatchback with a giant wing

It'll be a better car shmup than turbo force because VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

nZero wrote:Xeno Fighters EX Type-R

New cameo ship: 1993 Honda Civic hatchback with a giant wing

It'll be a better car shmup than turbo force because VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO
that would be awesome!