Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label [Arcade/X360]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
PROMETHEUS

Re: Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou ~ Black Label

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Sasupoika wrote:Going for 1 billion ( short scale ), eh? Keep up awesome work! I am certain that you have skills to 2-ALL this game.
... Indeed, going for 1B now :)
Thank you for your encouragements.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

woaaah seriously this is so hard I'm going crazy, it's taking way more tries than I thought it would o_o
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

How many hours do you have in DOJ now?
lol
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

About 70h however I had played White label 1.5 years ago I think I had played like 40-50h of it.
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitch??
captpain

Post by captpain »

PROMETHEUS wrote:I did improve my score, but still haven't reached the current target :

ProMeTheus - 934,922,970 - A-E - 2-3 - 3180 Hit

This is harder than I thought, but I will make it !!
O_O

Nice work.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Finally made it !

ProMeTheus - 1,136,881,920 - A-E - 2-5 - 3335 Hit

It took a while but really helped raising my consistency in every part of the first loop.

This run has full chains of all first loop, except for one break in Stage 3 and another at the very end of Stage 5. I no missed the first loop, bombing once at the end of Stage 5 and another time at the boss. I needed around 850M in first loop alone because I can usually not rely on making more than 150M in the second loop, since I haven't learned it at all yet. All my chains are "HFD-style", although my level of optimization is still inferior to his of course (my max loop 1 score is 960M whereas his seems to be 1.1B). The hardest tricks to learn were the Stage 3 midboss, and the Stage 4 diagonal platforms without hypers (very methodical). Here you can see a nice full rank Stage 5, I think it's such a cool stage.

In second loop, I managed to survive very well thanks to efficient bombing (@Dave_K, I think this replay is a good example of bombing being part of playing for score, weighing risk depending on possible rewards etc). Lots and lots of fun dodging and improvised chaining. I reached Stage 5 with like 3 ships in stock. I got quite owned by the beehive section, but then reassembled and reached the boss with a spare life. Some dodges and bombs later, I was fighting Hibachi, and died to its last form !

Replay + MAME + Playback Instructions : http://www.mediafire.com/?3j351sd84ddwfvg
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitch??
austere

Post by austere »

Awesome work PROMETHEUS! Now that you have reached Hibachi you cannot stop. You have to 2-ALL this masterpiece. It's easier said than done though, Hibachi's final form is what makes Dai Ou Jou's name the ultimate irony.

Has any western player actually 2-ALL'ed DOJ Black Label yet? As far as I know, no one has.
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

PROMETHEUS wrote:Some dodges and bombs later, I was fighting Hibachi, and died to its last form !
You know what it means, Prome. Now it's between you and that damn bee. It's on!

:)
austere wrote:Has any western player actually 2-ALL'ed DOJ Black Label yet? As far as I know, no one has.
Indeed, no one has... yet.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
captpain

Post by captpain »

Grats dude, I'll get to the replay soon. Keep it up.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Deffinitly dont give up -2-ALL would be sweet
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

OMG, that is sweet work, PROMETHEUS!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

You have inspired me to start this up again , Ive always been pretty hopeless at this game but ill see what i can do , Id be happy with the 1-ALL
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
Das igloo

Post by Das igloo »

Incredibly close Prometheus! Can't wait to see the replay in the future when you finally beat it.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Thank you guys. Like you said, moozooh, it's on between me and this new Hibachi ! I'm pretty sure 2-ALL will happen, in time although I have no idea how hard it will be because I've never even tried Hibachi's last patterns.

I will get to learn the second loop stages a little later, for now I need a pause because this game seems to be too addictive for me :p I get obsessed with reaching my target and I can't stop practicing or playing until I make it, which efficiently prevents me from doing anything else when I'm home @_@ Feels like I'm going crazy after I play too much, I think it even affects my mood when I go out and see my friends. Reminds me of MrMonkeyMan's words about Ketsui. It wasn't like that with DDP, only with a particular set of final runs.
Follow me on Twitch??
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I think it even affects my mood when I go out and see my friends.
You better don't talk to me when I once again died on Pink Sweets' stage 5 boss. :cry:

Yeah it's really unhealthy, I hate myself for that.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Subterranean Sun

Post by Subterranean Sun »

And I'm still killing myself for not being able to chain the 1up cannon section of 1-4. :lol:

@Prometheus: This hibachi is harder than the DDP incarnation, but you have hyper and it takes less time to kill it now, so I'd say you have a chance if you get to there with like 3 spare lives. And there's no doubt you will clear the second loop - I think this game is slightly easier than DDP, survival-wise.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Subterranean Sun wrote:I think this game is slightly easier than DDP, survival-wise.
Yeah I agree, because of rank. And it becomes much much harder with high rank. Good system !
DDP is more built like a memorizer, too, where you have no chance of survival if you're not in the right spot, but survival being not so hard if you are, in many parts. Whereas DOJ never gets easy, and it lets you deal with situations with good dodging even if positioned poorly.

(probably comes from the fact the popcorn enemies don't spam nearly as many speedy bullets in DOJ)
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitch??
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

PROMETHEUS wrote:Thank you guys. Like you said, moozooh, it's on between me and this new Hibachi ! I'm pretty sure 2-ALL will happen, in time although I have no idea how hard it will be because I've never even tried Hibachi's last patterns.

I will get to learn the second loop stages a little later, for now I need a pause because this game seems to be too addictive for me :p I get obsessed with reaching my target and I can't stop practicing or playing until I make it, which efficiently prevents me from doing anything else when I'm home @_@ Feels like I'm going crazy after I play too much, I think it even affects my mood when I go out and see my friends. Reminds me of MrMonkeyMan's words about Ketsui. It wasn't like that with DDP, only with a particular set of final runs.
Obsession is bad thing.
Nice job and good luck in future!
Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

Obsession is bad thing.
Hey, without obsessing, PROMETHEUS wouldn't have achieved that incredible score :wink:
However, there is a point where obsessing can take a toll on your mental health. I can agree with that.

Way to go, PROMETHEUS! Kick Hibachi's thorax!

"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
Das igloo

Post by Das igloo »

EDIT:

Das igloo - 134,479,450 - A-E - 1-3 - 2053 Hit

Well this is pretty much ideally what I wanted to post in the first place...
Last edited by Das igloo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

About fucking time
lol
Cyarc

Post by Cyarc »

I know it's nothing special but it gets me on the list! I see myself playing this more in the future, I really wish I could make it to stage five but for now it seems like a daunting task.

Cyarc - 37,021,400- B-E - 1-4 - 284 Hit
What are you trying to tell me, that I can dodge bullets?
AliceMargatroid

Post by AliceMargatroid »

Alice - 45,243,510 - A-E - 1-4 - 12?? Hit

The High Score screen says 66 Hit, but I am pretty sure that I used a hyper(+5) for the second half of 1-2 and that gave something like a 1200 hit combo. And I don't think you can have 45m in 1-4 with a max of 66 Hit.

Edit: The game always shows either "0 Hit" or a random 2-digit number. Is that a bug in Shmupmame 3.0b?
BLU

Post by BLU »

BLU - 266,178,370 - B-E - 2-3 - 1966 Hit
AliceMargatroid wrote:Edit: The game always shows either "0 Hit" or a random 2-digit number. Is that a bug in Shmupmame 3.0b?
Were you playing on the second player side? It seems like your max combo resets every time you miss.
AliceMargatroid

BLU wrote:Were you playing on the second player side? It seems like your max combo resets every time you miss.
So it is a 2P side bug. Will change back to 1P then. I already wondered where that bug came from.
Also, if I use a savestate of a stage in which I am not, it messes everything up.

Alice - 47,624,140 - A-E - 1-4 - 443 Hit
Much lower Max Hit but not that broken~
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

AliceMargatroid wrote:
BLU wrote:Were you playing on the second player side? It seems like your max combo resets every time you miss.
So it is a 2P side bug. Will change back to 1P then. I already wondered where that bug came from.
Also, if I use a savestate of a stage in which I am not, it messes everything up.

Alice - 47,624,140 - A-E - 1-4 - 443 Hit
Much lower Max Hit but not that broken~
I do hope you don't post savestate runs as legit...
AliceMargatroid

RNGmaster wrote: I do hope you don't post savestate runs as legit...
Are there really people who post savestate scores as legit? What's with the fun of a fair competition these days?
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

AliceMargatroid wrote:
RNGmaster wrote: I do hope you don't post savestate runs as legit...
Are there really people who post savestate scores as legit? What's with the fun of a fair competition these days?
Yeah, we've had one or two, as well as some people who thought that their run was legit even though they abused the "stage restart" feature.
jpj

Post by jpj »

lots of dodgy scores on this forum that i wouldn't take seriously tbh. there are a few i know still standing where people were playing japanese titles on modded 50hz consoles, effectively playing the game 17% slower than everyone else
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
chempop

Post by chempop »

When PROMETHEUS gets the 2-All we ought to make it a holiday...
Every year on that day we will bust the game out for a few runs and get owned...
In his honor :mrgreen:

Seriously, YOU CAN DO IT!!!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc