What convinced you to get Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx-16?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: What convinced you to get Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx-1

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

blazinglazers69, you're right about the hidden stage selection mode within Gunhed/Blazing Lazers. I had completely forgotten about it. Btw, how do you enable it?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:blazinglazers69, you're right about the hidden stage selection mode within Gunhed/Blazing Lazers. I had completely forgotten about it. Btw, how do you enable it?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Here ya go: https://www.consoledatabase.com/cheats/ ... inglazers/

It actually has quite a few secrets! One not listed here is the secret 8-way shot. I believe you just need to have no bombs and collect 30 or so purple orbs in a row in a level. I didn't find it necessary or super useful tbh. I would also add that I really like the Gold Ship/continue system. By blasting the power up orbs that cycle through all the weapons, they turn into a green energy orb that when collected will clear the screen AND let you pass a checkpoint if you die.

So for the old chestnut that the early levels are too slow and the difficulty ramps up too much later--you need to actively farm power-up continues in the easier earlier stages to help power through the later difficulty stages--especially stage 9 which is basically impossible if you die and lose your powerups.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

One not listed here is the secret 8-way shot. I believe you just need to have no bombs and collect 30 or so purple orbs in a row in a level. I didn't find it necessary or super useful tbh
I tried this last week for the first time ever - after reading it here. The 8-way shot combined with "IV" (the circling orbs) and "F" for the blue circles firing forward is REALLY powerful. I almost managed to do a no-miss with that weapon combination and I'm usually not good at later stages of the game.