SCART vs HDRetrovision Cable for 480i CRT w/Component Input?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shelcoof

Re: SCART vs HDRetrovision Cable for 480i CRT w/Component In

Post by Shelcoof »

AceFan84 wrote: Thanks for the info, I really like the tv so far too! I ordered a remote control for it so I can access the service menu, the geometry is off a little so I'm hoping I can improve it with some adjustments.

The one thing I'm still not sure about is exactly what consoles to connect to it and which ones to connect to my 1080p plasma. I have a Panasonic TC-P42G15 Plasma and it's a really nice tv with a ton of inputs (1 s-video, 2 component, 3 hdmi) but I'm not sure if I should connect my consoles like my PS2 and Gamecube to it (via component) so they can output 480p or just connect them to my Trinitron which only supports 480i.

I'm also trying to figure out if RGB modding a N64 is worth it over just using s-video on my trinitron, it's fairly expensive to do and I'm not sure if it's worth the cost to do.
I read that RGB modding the N64 won't change much compared to S-Video. Though I read that if your going to go S-Video get good cables as the cheap ones can have ghosting and artifacts.

From my experience 480i looks great on the WEGA including 480i from the Xbox 360 and PS3.

But I find progressive 480p and up look better on a TV/Monitor that is able to support it.

Pretty much this TV is dedicated to everything SD related. I mean I love how the Dreamcast looks on it but if I had a choice I play my Dreamcast on one of my PC CRT Monitors.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Shelcoof wrote:
AceFan84 wrote: Thanks for the info, I really like the tv so far too! I ordered a remote control for it so I can access the service menu, the geometry is off a little so I'm hoping I can improve it with some adjustments.

The one thing I'm still not sure about is exactly what consoles to connect to it and which ones to connect to my 1080p plasma. I have a Panasonic TC-P42G15 Plasma and it's a really nice tv with a ton of inputs (1 s-video, 2 component, 3 hdmi) but I'm not sure if I should connect my consoles like my PS2 and Gamecube to it (via component) so they can output 480p or just connect them to my Trinitron which only supports 480i.

I'm also trying to figure out if RGB modding a N64 is worth it over just using s-video on my trinitron, it's fairly expensive to do and I'm not sure if it's worth the cost to do.
I read that RGB modding the N64 won't change much compared to S-Video. Though I read that if your going to go S-Video get good cables as the cheap ones can have ghosting and artifacts.

From my experience 480i looks great on the WEGA including 480i from the Xbox 360 and PS3.

But I find progressive 480p and up look better on a TV/Monitor that is able to support it.

Pretty much this TV is dedicated to everything SD related. I mean I love how the Dreamcast looks on it but if I had a choice I play my Dreamcast on one of my PC CRT Monitors.
What consoles work well with VGA on CRT pc monitors? I actually still have a 19" Dell M992 CRT in my parents attic that I could get and use for consoles if I needed to. It was an amazing crt for it's day, I had always planned on using it for a custom arcade cabinet some day but I may never get around to actually getting one.

Here's a link to the specs: https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-m992 ... 19-series/
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

AceFan84 wrote:
What consoles work well with VGA on CRT pc monitors? I actually still have a 19" Dell M992 CRT in my parents attic that I could get and use for consoles if I needed to. It was an amazing crt for it's day, I had always planned on using it for a custom arcade cabinet some day but I may never get around to actually getting one.

Here's a link to the specs: https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-m992 ... 19-series/
From my experience the Dreamcast via VGA to a CRT Monitor is amazing and the Xbox 360 has VGA out as well. Both console don't require any other devices to get working on a CRT Monitor.

Also I find not all CRT Monitors are great when it comes to producing a clear or bright enough picture. I have like 12 and only about 4 of them I find are bright enough for gaming. Three of those has a bright option where it pretty much brightens the picture. You do get loss of accurate colors and clarity though when you use this feature but at least its not soo dim. I find the brighten feature helps if your using a scanline generator as well.

The Sony WEGA of yours is going to produce a much brighter clearer and more colorful picture for consoles such as the PS2, Sega Saturn and Wii/GC via Component. In the case of the Saturn Scart to Component adapter.

Anything HD which includes 480p and above is going to look better on a CRT Monitor.

I do have a Set-Up for PS2, Sega Saturn and Wii on a CRT Monitor but the picture isn't as good as the Sony WEGA SD TV.

I know I said earlier anything 480p and above go with CRT but with the Wii anyways looks better on the SD TV for some reason. Wii set at 480i will output 240p for some Virtual Console games as well which in my opinion looks better than 480p on a CRT monitor.

This is of course just my opinion from my own experience.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Shelcoof wrote:
AceFan84 wrote:

From my experience the Dreamcast via VGA to a CRT Monitor is amazing and the Xbox 360 has VGA out as well. Both console don't require any other devices to get working on a CRT Monitor.

Also I find not all CRT Monitors are great when it comes to producing a clear or bright enough picture. I have like 12 and only about 4 of them I find are bright enough for gaming. Three of those has a bright option where it pretty much brightens the picture. You do get loss of accurate colors and clarity though when you use this feature but at least its not soo dim. I find the brighten feature helps if your using a scanline generator as well.

The Sony WEGA of yours is going to produce a much brighter clearer and more colorful picture for consoles such as the PS2, Sega Saturn and Wii/GC via Component. In the case of the Saturn Scart to Component adapter.

Anything HD which includes 480p and above is going to look better on a CRT Monitor.

I do have a Set-Up for PS2, Sega Saturn and Wii on a CRT Monitor but the picture isn't as good as the Sony WEGA SD TV.

I know I said earlier anything 480p and above go with CRT but with the Wii anyways looks better on the SD TV for some reason. Wii set at 480i will output 240p for some Virtual Console games as well which in my opinion looks better than 480p on a CRT monitor.

This is of course just my opinion from my own experience.
Ok thanks for the info. I'm slowly putting together how I'm going to hook all this up and every bit of info helps!