Wich is your favourite Star Soldier game and why

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Wich is your favourite Star Soldier Game

Poll ended at Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Star Soldier
9%
Blazing Lasers
22%
Super Star Soldier
9%
Final Soldier
4%
Soldier Blade
35%
Star Parodier
9%
Star Soldier Vanishing Earth(Still decent rigth?)
4%
Star Soldier R
9%

Total votes: 23

Bassa-Bassa

Re: Wich is your favourite Star Soldier game and why

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:Please consider using the title 'GunHed' as no one knows it as 'Blazing Lazers' - crap title if ever there was one.
Konami, who own the rights to the Hudson IP, have made the official name of the game Blazing Lazers, even in Japan.
Nah. Konami simply included Blazing Lazers instead of Gunhed in their PC Engine Mini, much like they included New Adventure Island instead of Shin Boukenjima, Chew Man Fu instead of Be Ball or Ninja Spirit instead of Saigo no Nindou - they just added a bunch of Turbo Grafx titles due to the global condition of the whole Mini release (and in order to avoid certain licensing fees, as cheap as it sounds):

https://dengekionline.com/articles/29697/
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Is Blazing Lazers considered part of the franchise?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Considered by who? Gunhed officially isn't, so hardly Lazers is.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Nah. Konami simply included Blazing Lazers instead of Gunhed in their PC Engine Mini, much like they included New Adventure Island instead of Shin Boukenjima, Chew Man Fu instead of Be Ball or Ninja Spirit instead of Saigo no Nindou - they just added a bunch of Turbo Grafx titles due to the global condition of the whole Mini release (and in order to avoid certain licensing fees, as cheap as it sounds):

https://dengekionline.com/articles/29697/
It predates the mini with this one. Hudson never owned the Gunhed name, so ever since Konami bought them they've released it under the Blazing Lazers title in every region on all platforms going back to the Wii:

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

The point still stands. They simply released Blazing Lazers on the modern platforms for IP reasons. You can consider it much like the case of Rayforce/Layer Section if you will, but then the name change only applies to these versions.
Sengoku Strider

xxx1993 wrote:Is Blazing Lazers considered part of the franchise?
The game was developed under the title Super Real Star Soldier. In 1988, Hudson used their Power League baseball game for their Summer Caravan, and the tour flopped. So to right the ship for the next year they commissioned another shooter, this time from Compile who were on a hot streak with Zanac & Aleste.

So it was developed as a Summer Caravan Star Soldier game. It was mostly just the title and the insane backstory about Tex Mexium that changed. I think it's worth talking about in the Soldier context, since the series continued to used the elements it introduced - like that green weapon from Soldier Blade is just weapon 2 from Lazers.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Ninja Spirit instead of Saigo no Nindou
Both US and JP versions have both titles on the title screen. AFAIK the only difference between versions is the Irem splash screen in the JP version and "From NEC" on the title screen in the US version.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

From the link I posted (PC Engine Mini):

Anyway, the arcade flyer of Saigo no Nindou already had the Ninja Spirit "subtitle" together with the English story and description - it's a usual practice to save printing and publishing costs. It doesn't mean the game is called Saigo no Nindou - Ninja Spirit in neither region.
Sengoku Strider

Bassa-Bassa wrote:The point still stands. They simply released Blazing Lazers on the modern platforms for IP reasons. You can consider it much like the case of Rayforce/Layer Section if you will, but then the name change only applies to these versions.
But these versions are like, all of the versions. The 1989 TurboGrafx game was released within 4 months of the Japanese PC Engine one (which hit 2 months before the NA system launch for the Japanese Caravan), so the Blazing Lazers title is contemporaneous. If someone specifically calls the 1989 Japan release Gunhed that makes sense, it's the version I own so it's how I'd refer to it if I wanted to talk about it specifically. But I believe it's also the only time and place the game's ever been released under that name.

Blazing Lazers is the only name Konami have ever released it under, the only name they have rights to. The Gunhed title really was just a summer movie tie-in slapped on at the last minute, even the flimsy story - not mentioned at all in the Japanese instructions, only later printed on caravan flyers - is so unconnected it takes place 55 years after the movie. The reason you see the robot transform on the title screen is because the one in the movie can't even fly in space.

But if you want the definitive reason the mobsters running Konami will never spend a dime on licensing the Gunhed name, it's because it's not worth anything:
Box office returns were poor, and the film magazine Kinema Junpo criticized it as a "disastrous defeat" and a "planning failure." According to [lead actor] Masahiro Takashima, the movie was the lowest-selling work in 1989. It is said that he was made fun of by Toho's superiors.
This is a movie where the most powerful element in the universe is called "Tex-Mexium." TBH I'm wth the Toho superiors on this one.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Then, you're ultimately validating my point - Konami simply owns Blazing Lazers and that's what we got from them, whatever the times we did. That doesn't mean they made a name change for the game, just that we can forget about the original Gunhed being reissued, much like Capcom's Area 88 or Sega's Moonwalker. Their description on the Mini homepage isn't exactly hiding its origins:
縦スクロールシューティングゲーム。
「ガンヘッド」の海外版。

Disregarding the discussion on official status quo, I can't help feeling a bit embarrassed myself by stuff like this, what can I say:

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Is Blazing Lazers considered part of the franchise?
The game was developed under the title Super Real Star Soldier. In 1988, Hudson used their Power League baseball game for their Summer Caravan, and the tour flopped. So to right the ship for the next year they commissioned another shooter, this time from Compile who were on a hot streak with Zanac & Aleste.

So it was developed as a Summer Caravan Star Soldier game. It was mostly just the title and the insane backstory about Tex Mexium that changed. I think it's worth talking about in the Soldier context, since the series continued to used the elements it introduced - like that green weapon from Soldier Blade is just weapon 2 from Lazers.
I tend to think it was divorced from the series.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:From the link I posted (PC Engine Mini):

Anyway, the arcade flyer of Saigo no Nindou already had the Ninja Spirit "subtitle" together with the English story and description - it's a usual practice to save printing and publishing costs. It doesn't mean the game is called Saigo no Nindou - Ninja Spirit in neither region.
yes, I know what the box art says. Doesn't change the fact that the game is near identical for both regions. Either version could have been chosen. I'm also under the impression that Bonk's Revenge and Air Zonk were chosen over the JP versions since the former has Bonk transforming into a girl and the latter has more suggestive content in the JP version.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Ah, understood what you meant. I posted the cover art just in case it wasn't clear enough which version they added to the Mini, anyway.

You never know which little, usually imperceptible fixes they added to the code of a foreign version - these, many times, work as revisions themselves.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

i) Most people who know of blazing lasers know it as such. America!

ii) Most people who play it physically on pce often play gunhed.

iii) It might as well all be star soldier for all these games have to do with anything else. I'm pretty sure theres developer interviews where the commissioning of gunhed, super, final and blade made them related in the eyes of Hudson.

I've no evidence of any of this I can point to right now so...

i) loudest voice wins history.

ii) Gunhed box art is better. OK, maybe they don't play it, but the front can be seen on their shelf of shame.

iii) Star soldier games are just pce. I'm not letting nintendo have it; it meant nothing to them.

Correct answer is probably soldier blade... But still something very classy about super star soldier and gunhed... Final I could let go but it could be said to be a bit more friendly (at least to start with).