What are some good *newer* shmups that aren't the classics?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Stevens

Re: What are some good *newer* shmups that aren't the classi

Post by Stevens »

hermosaguy wrote:I would say Jamestown, that came out of nowhere and really surprised me. I couldn't put it down for quite sometime.
The more players the more fun it is. Not a fan of it as a single player though.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
qmish

Post by qmish »

While Danmaku Unlimited 2 follows the STG formula in broad strokes, it sadly goes awry in many, many areas. Let me describe some of the problems I’ve had with it one by one:

1) The music is incredibly bland and does not synchronise with the action on screen at all.
Dont
Touch
The
Music

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I have no interest in Danmaku Unlimited 2 but OST is godawesome
And much better than that Jet n Guns overhyped chipmetal
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

The OST of Danmaku Unlimited 2 does not fit the action at all, which made for a jarring experience. Would it have been too much to ask for an OST that synchronizes with key events? Isn't this a staple of the genre?
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

To make a positive contribution to this thread: I second Crimzon Clover: WI. Fantastic game! I also started playing Caladrius Blaze on PS3 recently. My first impression is highly positive. Those two games have enough content to last an experienced player for many weeks, and a scrub like me for at least a couple of years.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Different strokes for different folks, I quite liked DU2, but wasn't expecting the next Dodonpachi or anything.
team_andromeda

Post by team_andromeda »

Jesus. You guys f--king rock. Mind = blown, I am not worthy. Looks like I am getting a steam gift card this christmas, after I play through the awesome freebies you guys linked to. Hopefully this thread helps people in my shoes, my gaming buddies are casual shmuppers at best with no interest to dive any deeper. Thanks to all of you for being my gateway drug.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Eschatos
Mecha Ritz (this game is amazing AND it's free)
Score Rush
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure (this is just a good time)
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Bonus! wrote:The OST of Danmaku Unlimited 2 does not fit the action at all, which made for a jarring experience. Would it have been too much to ask for an OST that synchronizes with key events? Isn't this a staple of the genre?
Heavy Metal fits Heavy Metal Machine Combat just perfectly.

Only way I can interpret this post without it being wrong is that you're saying the stages don't have enough setpieces that are synced to musical sequences. This is not all that common a thing for the genre, though. Cave did a decent job of it but most shmup osts don't sync music to stage moments that frequently (probably because it's REALLY hard for level designers and music composers to be so creatively synced, I imagine Cave only got it occasionally through massive trial and error and stage design revision).
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Thanks Bonus, you've convinced me to buy it! That entire review seems incredibly sketchy.

I take offense to the bit about CAVE final stages (having a final stage completely dwarf all other stages is trash design) and especially to the bit about Touhou. It's 2015, we can stop with the dumb Touhou forum memes already. tEoSD, PCB, IN, StB, UFO, Yousei... these are easily some of the best shmups ever made, period.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Despatche wrote:Thanks Bonus, you've convinced me to buy it! That entire review seems incredibly sketchy.

I take offense to the bit about CAVE final stages (having a final stage completely dwarf all other stages is trash design) and especially to the bit about Touhou. It's 2015, we can stop with the dumb Touhou forum memes already. tEoSD, PCB, IN, StB, UFO, Yousei... these are easily some of the best shmups ever made, period.
The final remark in that review was obviously tongue in cheek. In particular, the reference to Touhou is due to the stereotypical Touhou fan who cares much more about the lore than the actual games. Further, if a stage 5 is the longest stage in a shmup, it should also yield the most points. Cave may go overboard, but in general I'm not nearly as upset about that kind of design as you. Also note that stage 5 tends to be the hardest. Thus, you get the relation "greater challenge - moar points".

Overall, though, I couldn't care less whether anybody does or does not buy Danmaku Unlimited 2 based on my review. However, it is by far the worst shmup I have ever played, but this is coming for a guy who has played maybe three dozen shmups. Still, I am baffled at how mechanically incompetent this game is. The worst offender are poorly communicated bullet hit boxes with two bosses. One shoots big bubbles of which only part of the center, which is not demarcated in any way, will harm you. Some other one triggers rows of hexagons, of which, again, only the small center will harm your ship. Have fun with crap like that. When I found out about the bubbles, I thought at first that they were only a visual distraction, which would have been a dubious design choice as well, but that is not the case. They can harm you.