GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanliner

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
beharius

Re: GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanli

Post by beharius »

It outputs the exact same resolution it's fed with. 1:1. No upscaling, no stretching. Nada.
These are processed on the TV though.
elmimmo

Post by elmimmo »

I thought RGB video signals through SCART maxed at 480i, or at least that's the maximum most TVs will support. Isn't that the case? If it is, what happens when you connect a 480p source via component, say, a Wii or an original Xbox, to the GARO, and then the GARO to the TV via SCART?
beharius

Post by beharius »

It outputs the same resolution. It's just a video connector. TVs can't support it, however upscalers like XRGB can handle it. 480p in 480p out
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Can I reserve one of these? Or pre-order?
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
beharius

Post by beharius »

There will be enough available. I will announce when we are ready for the Preorders. Doing some more tweaks on the design like using smd components.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Any updates?
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
beharius

Post by beharius »

I received the latest prototype a few days ago, tomorrow I will build and test it. Previous ones had some design flaws, they are all fixed. I hope we can release it this month.
Plasia

Post by Plasia »

Make sure to test with Wii! It has a funky component output that makes most component to vga transcoder trip out.

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BLp7w4KM40
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Indeed I had issues with both Wii and Gamecube using the Startech Component to VGA transcoder http://www.videogameperfection.com/2014 ... ranscoder/ (see the bottom of the page).
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
beharius

Post by beharius »

Final prototype is working great. We will start production soon.
Our design is using newer tech, unlike ones from Audio Authority or JS Technology...
Shuco13

Post by Shuco13 »

I'd really like to know if this device is of any benefit if used in conjunction with a framemeister, thinking of the often proclaimed better handling of RGBs instead of RGBHV.
Comparison shots are very welcome!
...aka 12345
beharius

Post by beharius »

Will do that when it's ready.thanks.
Delta81

Post by Delta81 »

Can't wait for this! Really looking forward to it. Seems like it'll be the best component to RGBHV transcoder on the market.
Greenalink

Post by Greenalink »

Judging from the opening post, I guess it does not support 240p? This would have been ideal for Wii VC at 240p mode using component cables.
Many VC games especially the Sega Master System will only run at 60hz if the console is set to NTSC but you lose RGB Scart. I wasn't sure if this product could solve the issue when it comes to non-composite/S-video. My CRT does not support component but RGB Scart instead.
It's a 1:1 transcoder, not an upscaler, so it outputs what it's fed, from 480i to 1080p.
Delta81

Post by Delta81 »

Greenalink wrote:Judging from the opening post, I guess it does not support 240p? This would have been ideal for Wii VC at 240p mode using component cables.
Many VC games especially the Sega Master System will only run at 60hz if the console is set to NTSC but you lose RGB Scart. I wasn't sure if this product could solve the issue when it comes to non-composite/S-video. My CRT does not support component but RGB Scart instead.
It's a 1:1 transcoder, not an upscaler, so it outputs what it's fed, from 480i to 1080p.
Why would it not support 240p? If it's fed 240p component, it'll output 240p RGBs. I'm not sure of any consoles (other than Wii VC) that support 240p over component though. Perhaps component modded consoles.
beharius

Post by beharius »

Actually it supports that too. Probably I forgot to write that. 240p test suite works well.
Delta81

Post by Delta81 »

beharius wrote:Actually it supports that too. Probably I forgot to write that. 240p test suite works well.
Any more updates or ETAs beharius?
beharius

Post by beharius »

It's really difficult to release a new design. We will test one more prototype before the final production. We made a small update fo fix an unexpected issue, waiting for the Chinese holiday to end.
We are also stocking the required parts. I hope we can release it in March.
Thanks for your patience and support.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Delta81 wrote:
Greenalink wrote:Judging from the opening post, I guess it does not support 240p? This would have been ideal for Wii VC at 240p mode using component cables.
Why would it not support 240p? If it's fed 240p component, it'll output 240p RGBs. I'm not sure of any consoles (other than Wii VC) that support 240p over component though. Perhaps component modded consoles.
The PS2 when playing PS1 games. I believe the PSP playing PS1 games can also be configured to do that.

HD Retrovision's component cables will make it seem like several additional consoles (Genesis/SNES to start, with adapters for PS1 and other consoles to come) support 240p over component: the user experience will seem as if the console is doing native component, although in reality it's an RGB-to-Component adapter built into the cable, meaning these would not be useful for the Garo (why convert RGB to component and then back to RGB when you can just use native RGB).
beharius

Post by beharius »

I prefer using RGB scart cables for these consoles, component cables don't upscale anything or improve the image quality.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Component cables have the advantage that they work with televisions. RGB SCART cables don't (in North America).
The_Atomik_Punk!

Post by The_Atomik_Punk! »

Hey Beharius, I have a couple of more questions about the upcoming GARO. I plan to use your device mostly with a Wii, PS2, and maybe XBOX (MAME) on a LCD PC Monitor. The monitor in question is the Dell U2412M, (a 1920x1200 16:10 aspect ratio screen).

1. If I use the GARO on such a monitor, and am outputting a 640x480p source (PS2) onto my 1920x1200 screen, how big would that look on my 24 inch monitor? If there's no scaling, wouldn't it be a very small box in the middle of the screen, or would it take up the full vertical height of my 16:10 monitor and be pillarboxed on the sides?

2. I'm unclear as to whether modern PC LCD monitors support interlaced resolutions. Would I be able to play 480i PS2 games on a PC monitor, and if so, would it introduced extra processing, and thus lag by doing so?

3. Any update on the prospective release date? I'm really looking forward to the release of GARO; keep up the great work Beharius!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

1 - Why would you think your monitor had no scaling?

2 - Very few PC monitors support interlace. Interlace almost always adds input lag wherever it is supported.

3 -I'd like to know that too :)

Also, how bad is your PC if you want to use Xbox for Mame? Pretty much any PC will give better results these days.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
The_Atomik_Punk!

Post by The_Atomik_Punk! »

BuckoA51 wrote:1 - Why would you think your monitor had no scaling?

2 - Very few PC monitors support interlace. Interlace almost always adds input lag wherever it is supported.

3 -I'd like to know that too :)

Also, how bad is your PC if you want to use Xbox for Mame? Pretty much any PC will give better results these days.
1. I have no idea; obviously I know very little about such matters- hence my question. I thought it's the GPU that's responsible for any potential scaling/aspect ratio correction on a PC image, and, as Beharius said in his first post, there's no scaling from the GARO whatsoever. This led me to speculate as to whether a small image would be outputted to a screen with a high native resolution. Your response doesn't answer my question directly, but from Youtubing Dreamcasts run on LCD TVs, it looks like the 480p image is properly scaled as I presumed, and not just a small 640x480 window.

2. So does that mean that 480i PS2 games can't be played on most PC LCD monitors with the GARO via VGA? If so, that would be a shame, because most PS2 games seem to not support 480p.

3. My PC is very powerful (i7-6700k, 32G Ram, EVGA GTX 980Ti); the whole concept of MAME is completely new to me, as I've just encountered it. After looking into the feasibility of running MAME directly on my PC, that seems like a no-brainer :roll:
werk91

Post by werk91 »

The_Atomik_Punk! wrote:2. So does that mean that 480i PS2 games can't be played on most PC LCD monitors with the GARO via VGA? If so, that would be a shame, because most PS2 games seem to not support 480p.

You would have to go PS2 -> GARO -> linedoubler like GBS8200 or the OSSC -> LCD monitor.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You would have to go PS2 -> GARO -> linedoubler like GBS8200 or the OSSC -> LCD monitor.
or just PS2 -> video processor -> monitor. To use the Garo in this setup doesn't make too much sense.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Good point.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Is there any word on a RGBHV to YUV transcoder or just a DC "VGA" box with component output ? I think it was mentioned at some point. We aren't exactly getting more VGA connectors on modern TVs and monitors, so component out would be a logical step. Also RGBHV to YUV transcoders are getting very hard to find....
beharius

Post by beharius »

480i may not be supported on most displays. Your monitor upscales the image to its native resolution, so no letterboxing.
We will be testing the latest prototype in a few weeks. Then we will start production, so launching it in April is a high possibility.

For the DC Component video box, we have a working prototype however we haven't managed to add the scanline feature yet.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

beharius wrote:
For the DC Component video box, we have a working prototype however we haven't managed to add the scanline feature yet.
As in Dreamcast to component? :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen:
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.