Raiden Fighters 1,2,Jet +Viper Phase 1 now playable in Mame!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PsikyoFan

Post by PsikyoFan »

Frogacuda wrote: Now it looks like at least Raiden Fighters 2 is completely decrypted and working, and the others have working backgrounds and the rest will probably follow soon. So look for SPI games in MAME.. probably within the next week, seeing how often MAME updates these days. By the end of the month at least.
Well, RF2 still has missing priorities and requires alpha-blending, so I guess Ville will have to do something similar to what I did with the Psikyo games which may take a while to get right as we still have no decent framework for a z-buffer so it's a case of writing your own, he's said he'll take a look when Nicola submits it.

There are various different gfx encryptions so don't hold your breath still for the rest of them and most of the games still sound like ass.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

PsikyoFan wrote:There are various different gfx encryptions so don't hold your breath still for the rest of them and most of the games still sound like ass.
Yep, that sounds like the 2000 versions ;)
PsikyoFan

Post by PsikyoFan »

roushimsx wrote:
PsikyoFan wrote:There are various different gfx encryptions so don't hold your breath still for the rest of them and most of the games still sound like ass.
Yep, that sounds like the 2000 versions ;)
Well, the normal ones too. But that's not their fault..
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

PsikyoFan wrote:Well, the normal ones too. But that's not their fault..
I just like to take pot shots at the sound quality in the 2k versions whenever i get a chance :(
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Yeah, SPI sound emulation is garbage. But then it's not hard to understand why; Clearly there were more pressing issues.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

I fought the urge to make a new topic for this bad boy

http://haze.mameworld.info/

MAME 0.92u2000

Attn Haze / Nicola / Ville / everyone else:

I love you

Direct Link to MAME32 0.92u1 (Please keep the link within the shmups.com forums, thanks)

And incase anyone gets a brain fart, let's remember that asking for roms is a no no here :)
Style-0

Post by Style-0 »

:shock: It only took four days! Oh man, and it works great :lol:
To bad it's the 2000 version as already stated, the sound is crap.. But one shouldn't complain. Have fun!
landshark

Post by landshark »

* starts bouncing around like Homer after a donut *
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

OH JOY!

Edit: played a couple of rounds just now! LOVE IT. Instant classic, even if the sound emulation barely works.

Edit again: Woo, just got to level 5 in a credit! That came a little bit earlier than I expected, how many levels are there? I was using the Raiden mk-ii, by the way, and came up at just over 7 mil.
Last edited by Tomtom on Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoMaD

Post by NoMaD »

It's as excellent as I remember it. The tilemaps are a bit jittery as the screen scrolls, but virtually most graphics are intact. Sound (the music, anyway) is something else, though...
landshark

Post by landshark »

I love it. Lots of fun. Places a little "more fun" than raiden 1 and 2 in that the game doesn't seem as cheap. You can still be insta-shot from enemies as you scroll horizontally, but it seems a bit more fair. And all the possibilities for points ... GREAT! Only found one of them little blue guys so far.

Now I need to go read raiden's (the member) post about points.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

woohoo!! very nice cant wait to get to grips with this one
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Wow, Raiden Fighters 2 is ALOT easier than the first.. I got to level 4 on my first try. Let's see if there aren't some settings to fix that.

I think I like the fast-bullet madness of the first a bit better, but it's still great to have it to play at home, and it seems like RF1 and Jet are that much closer.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Not perfect, of course, but kudos to Nicola for taking on one of the holy grails of emulation! This ought to do quite nicely for a while, although I'd love to see Viper Phase 1 taken care of too.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
druuna

Post by druuna »

:D Great News!!!
Thanks for the link to the emulator....can't wait, I never played Raiden Fighters in all my life!
Thanks Nicola....you're REALLY THE BEST!
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

OK, this ROM is working in MAME now? Badass!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
sffan

Post by sffan »

Thanks for the heads up. Lots of enemies on this one. :shock: Fun fun.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Can someone tell me the name of the rom?

Also, how do you install this upgrade into mame?
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

roushimsx- Thanks for the quick Mame download, that saved me some time. Works great.

raiden- From the brief bit I've played it seems like RF2 works just like 1 in terms of the medals. I've been getting stuck at 9000 value and wondered what was up until I read your post.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

CMoon wrote:Can someone tell me the name of the rom?

Also, how do you install this upgrade into mame?
rf2_2k.zip is the romset, and i think rf2_eur.zip is the parent set (you'll need both but rf2_eur.zip is like 90k or something big..quite small)

Just unpack MAME32 0.92u1 into your current mame directory or a new one and you're set.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

cmoon you want the 2000 china rom its called rf2_2k. the file is only really updating the mame .exe file just copy and paste it over your old mame.exe file to save you having to import you roms to another folder.
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

how do you guys select the secret airplanes in this game, thanks, cant wait for the release of Raiden Fighters Jet and Raiden Fighters 1 and Viper Phase what a great day today it.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I guess it's just a matter of time before one of the Xbox Mame variants add this driver.

Then the injustice of the Raiden Fighters Evolution for Xbox cancellation will be avenged.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Thunder Force wrote:I guess it's just a matter of time before one of the Xbox Mame variants add this driver.

Then the injustice of the Raiden Fighters Evolution for Xbox cancellation will be avenged.
Does the Xbox have enough horsepower to run the SPI driver? I thought it'd require a much beffier CPU
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Another waaa-hooo!!! Thank you so much, Nicola! :D What a great game! I usually played this at the local theater (appeared once, then taken out, then back again, but too brief to get any time with it). Was a great game that I didn't feel so bad about pumping quarters into. Now that I get to play it again, it kind of has that Battle Bakraid feel to it, so I wonder if the guys at Raizing/8ing were going for the RF style in Bakraid? Of course, the graphics are really much more lush. You can tell the guys at Seibu really pour their talents into these games.

I won't get anything done now... :wink:
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Good show, Nicola! :cool: After progress on the SPI driver stalled- BAM, here's RF2 2000 and it's looking good so far. Once the sound is in it'll be awesome, especially on the USA/JPN versions.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
postman

Post by postman »

Largest Aircraft Carrier converted into a tank boss EVAR !!!!!!!! Sweet game.

Now I really want to play Raiden 3.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

There is no silence from this huge Raiden Fighters fan here! Damn! I've been waiting for almost 5 years to finally see a Seibu SPI game almost fully emulated! And it's RF2, which I consider the best of the RF series (albeit the crappy 2000 version)!

I am managing a high-score thread for this game. Check my sig...
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

er... while i am very excited about the progress of SPI emulation, i can't wait to trade the crappy china version for the slick original with some decent sound and fixed graphics. only a matter of time. :D
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

RF2 has the best stage designs out of the three games.

RF2 also has one of the coolest stages ever in any RF game: the superfortress stage! It is so awesome to blow up those behemoths, exploding into a spectacular ball of flame.

The land carrier boss Sand Lobster still captivates me in awe every time I play that stage.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.