Arcade stick vs D-Pad vs Analog stick vs Touch screen

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Nick420

Re: Arcade stick vs D-Pad vs Analog stick vs Touch screen

Post by Nick420 »

supergrafx77 wrote:
mastermx wrote:I've always used sanwa. But I hear a lot about seimitsu from shmup players. Is the difference really noticeable?
amdiggywhut wrote:Arcade stick, no question.

Can't decide which I like more between the LS-58 or LS-56 tho.
Since switching to the LS-56 after reading Emphatic's kind remarks regarding the stick, I could never go back to a LS-32.

After switching them out, IMO, it's apparent that the LS-32 is a pretty sloppy stick in comparison. Much better for fighters IMO, like the JLF (although I'd still choose LS32 over the JLF for shmups).

For shmups, the controls of the LS-56 feel tighter and more responsive.

I'm running it stock right now w/ square gate, but hear it can get even better by modding it which honestly, I'm in no hurry to do since it is "that good."

I tried the octagonal gate, but that didn't seem to good for me (tried that w/ Ketsui).

I'd love to know what mods are proper to make it even better though.

Not sure about the LS-58. I had assumed they were pretty much identical sticks except for a plate or something superficial like that?
Wow! Really?
I bought two ls32's for my cab after being lead to believe (through reading a tonne of various forum posts) that these were the best for shmups. I actually think that I would prefer a firmer spring though. I'm gonna have to try these :)
jasoncslaughter

Post by jasoncslaughter »

I prefer stick because I like to grab life by the balls.
Vetus

Post by Vetus »

I prefer either arcade stick or analog stick. Xbox360 controller is ideal for shmup, Playstation's analog stick isn't so good. D-pad is ok for Fixed shooters like Space Invaders and Galaga. Touch screen of mobile phones? Hell no! Only in fixed shooters where the space ship goes only left and right and you have auto-fire.
STG

Post by STG »

Semitsu all the way for me, but I must say I'm impressed with the players who don't use an arcade configuration. Personally I find that I can't play the genre nowadays any other way.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

mehguy why did you ask?

The input choice really doesn't matter as long as it's accurate. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with.
..as long as it's not touch screen.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
fraggore

Post by fraggore »

My preference is a joystick seimitsu ls-40 with seimitsu buttons, sanwa are great as well well but there is too much travel in the stick for my liking and its really noticeable on shmups.

But if i was going for a pad its saturn model 2 pad all the way.
hell hath no fury like a pregnant hamster
mehguy

Post by mehguy »

Blinge wrote:mehguy why did you ask?

The input choice really doesn't matter as long as it's accurate. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with.
..as long as it's not touch screen.
Had nothing to post about, so why not post a super generic topic?
NZA

Post by NZA »

though i enjoy the arcade stick, i am a little better with a d-pad. still, the arcade stick makes it seem more fun
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Eww touch screen, ugh...

As for the others, I don't really place the D-Pad or Analog stick above each other. I use them both depending on the situation/game. The arcade stick, I don't really like simply because I've used it so little.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

this isn't a question at all

keyboards are almost always superior for games with digital-based controls. a hit box might be slightly better for fighting games, but i'm not sure about chempop's stick as i've never used something like that for shmups or anything built on that level

going with "whatever you're comfortable with" is a great way to limit yourself forever. people like gus and all those so-called "pro players" using pad don't even begin to think they're handicapping themselves and so are just more examples of crazy people who succeed despite everything

the player may matter more than the input, but the player's relation to that input matters above all else
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Despatche wrote:
going with "whatever you're comfortable with" is a great way to limit yourself forever.
So everyone should just start playing keyboard? fuck that. I've tried, it instantly removes any enjoyment from the game.

Maybe a better way to say it would be " experiment with as many inputs as you can, and go with what works for you "
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
dink

Post by dink »

I use a Playstation DS3 (ps3 controller) to play my favorite games on the pc (emulated arcade/nes/md/msx/c64..)
Works great wireless w a bluetooth dongle :)
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

chempop wrote:Hitbox, shmup style:
Haha. Keyboard "stick."
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Try playing shooters on a good stick. After that, chances are you won't have fun playing them any other way.
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

finisherr wrote:Try playing shooters on a good stick. After that, chances are you won't have fun playing them any other way.
So you mean you stick to it once you try?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I've ordered a HORI Hayabusa lever to fit into my new 1-player panel that I'm building for my EGRET II. That will be interesting, as I've heard many great things about it.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BackwardPlot425

Post by BackwardPlot425 »

I like to play Shmups with a Pad. Just recently I obtained some Hyperkin Pixelart Controllers and although they're kind of floaty they are just as good as the Buffalo Famicom USB Pad once you've gotten used to it.

I also bought Raiden Legacy on IOS. I don't really know if I could win in that collection because of the touch screen.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

For me moving to stick was a godsend for my thumbs. Stick is so accurate, makes the game more fun, especially if you are also into fighting games.

Without stick I'd have blistered thumbs. I've always used sanwa parts in my arcade sticks. I'm thinking of building another stick with cthulhu motherboard, thinking of getting seimitsus like others on here have recommended.

I'm still really good with pad though, but like finisherr has said, once you go stick, you won't go back.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

mastermx wrote:For me moving to stick was a godsend for my thumbs. Stick is so accurate, makes the game more fun, especially if you are also into fighting games.

Without stick I'd have blistered thumbs. I've always used sanwa parts in my arcade sticks. I'm thinking of building another stick with cthulhu motherboard, thinking of getting seimitsus like others on here have recommended.

I'm still really good with pad though, but like finisherr has said, once you go stick, you won't go back.
Same, mostly my right thumb. Awkwardly holding down certain buttons was a huge pain.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I prefer a stick (JLF) personally, but there is no correct input method for digitally controlled games. It's what you find most comfortable. I see it all the time, people struggle with a specific game and seem to think an alternative brand of stick or alternative input method will magically make them better overnight. A new input method/stick brand won't make a bad gameplay strategy suddenly start working. Succeeding at a game is all in how well you understand how the game actually works and the nuances in the game engine, and from creative ideas and thorough analysis. A new joystick won't compensate for a lack of this knowledge/effort.

That's what I think anyway :)
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

For certain games, the tools are very important. Fighting games for example, plinking on a pad is hell.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

This guy would disagree with you :)

http://youtu.be/rzZpNK_UI8U
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

There are certain pad players that excel. Players like wolfkrone and others, but they are far and few between. Most of the time, the characters that they use don't have tight 1 frame links. It's doable, but counter intuitive. Even simple crouch os, is terrible on pad. Pianoing inputs is also an ordeal.

Me and my friend were all pad warriors once. In fact I'm still pretty good with pad. But stick all the way.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Yeah, I agree. I play Super Turbo as my main fighting game and I can't imagine using anything but a stick to play it. That said, at the SF20th anniversary ST qualifier 'Fuzzy', a pad player, defeated the mighty Orf in the finals who is arguably the best ST player in the UK.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Agreed, pad players that play at a high level like Vangeif and others are even more impressive when you know how hard it is. I haven't seen many keyboard or hit-box users in the fighting game community, but I don't want to derail the thread too much from shmup talk.
fraggore

Post by fraggore »

I used to be a pad player for years and then swapped stick, i was just as good on a pad as i was on a stick but sticks do have a few advantages pressing combinations for buttons on a pad is a pain in the arse for example ultra moves in SF4 or the new red focus. you see pad players hold the joypad with one hand and tapping buttons with the other sort of like using a arcade stick a small one never felt comfortable for me doing that.

So i decided to change to stick a few years ago, the change from pad to stick takes a lot of practice and now that i have done it i would say a good arcade stick is the way to go for me anyway and now i have ive gone a bit crap on a pad odd.

I will go with its a matter of preference and what you feel works for you so give both options a go you might find you hate sticks and love pads Lol.
fraggore

Post by fraggore »

That's a fantastic match.
Ex_Mosquito wrote:This guy would disagree with you :)

http://youtu.be/rzZpNK_UI8U
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I like keyboard.
Blinge wrote:Dreamcast has the best damn D-pad
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

Drum wrote:I like keyboard.
Blinge wrote:Dreamcast has the best damn D-pad
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Random question: Is Trigger Heart Exelica playable/enjoyable with the Dreamcast controller (I also have a way to play using a Saturn d-pad...).
thetricker24

Post by thetricker24 »

saturn d-pad is nice.
arcade stick is great, to me.
other aren't