Sagittarius-A-Star (DSi 2014/4/16)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
GSK

Re: Sagittarius-A-Star (DSi 2014/4/16)

Post by GSK »

LordHypnos wrote:
GSK wrote:I don't wanna say too much, but talks might be happening...
What do you mean? or would that be saying too much.
I mean that international publishers have been made aware of this game (and Coropata), so there's a (good?) chance of 'em coming over, or at least a non-zero chance.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

GSK wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:
GSK wrote:I don't wanna say too much, but talks might be happening...
What do you mean? or would that be saying too much.
I mean that international publishers have been made aware of this game (and Coropata), so there's a (good?) chance of 'em coming over, or at least a non-zero chance.
I'll take a non-zero chance over a zero chance any day :P
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
GSK

Post by GSK »

Here's an off-screen playthrough of the first stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arsrhl90gtk
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

According to this video, the ennemies and stages are entirely designed around this slash mechanic, which is really cool. Even the missiles the bosses and mid-bosses send can be slashed.
Does the number in the lower right corner indicate the amount of lives? The player finishes the stage with 31 of them. Even Compile games don't give you that many lives in a single stage.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Extends are given out every 100,000pts.
Glad to see it's possible to get 2.9 million in just stage one alone as yy best run so far is only 700k.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Perhaps it's just the first stage, but this looks incredibly easy, especially if extends are indeed being handed out every few seconds from the bonuses given when slashing every enemy. The sword looks very powerful and simple to use, unlike Silvergun's deliberately weak and unwieldy blade that was mainly intended for pink bullet absorption. There seems to also be a lengthy shield bar.

Are there any difficulty settings?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Interesting to note that SFKhoa's only gotten 1/4 of that player's score. It may give more points than Compile, but it sounds like SA* at least doesn't hand them out as a reward for not falling asleep like Compile does. :3

Seems like more of a score attack-focused game, which is cool.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Yeah, I'm gonna guess that the sword chaining takes a lot of practice to get the hang of. That is a shit ton of extends though :lol:
Looks pretty sweet, though. Come on, some publisher, bring this over!
1) Create Scoring System
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

We shouldn't also forget that breaking the chain of slashes means that you have to wait for quite a while before you can slash again. Scoring and therefore earning extends requires a high risk-reward play style.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

M.Knight wrote:We shouldn't also forget that breaking the chain of slashes means that you have to wait for quite a while before you can slash again. Scoring and therefore earning extends requires a high risk-reward play style.
Yeah, this is a really good point. Presumably, before you can get fairly long chains, getting extends is quite a bit trickier.
1) Create Scoring System
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

It's also a noteworthy mention that if you slash and you either don't hit an enemy or bounce off because you didn't slash along the yellow seams, your chain breaks.
So having chains in succession WITH accuracy is the key to high scoring.
glitch

Post by glitch »

i think what you're looking at in that vid is game-breakingly good play.
i'd imagine if the developers see that vid they'll go oh fuck maybe we should have thought the multiplier logic through a bit more.
chaining the slash attacks requires pretty precise timing and alignment. pro play makes it look easy but it's really not.
Pretas wrote:There seems to also be a lengthy shield bar.
no. that's the sword charge bar. there is no shield. no bombs either. no defense, basically.
bombs save lives
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

glitch wrote:i think what you're looking at in that vid is game-breakingly good play.
i'd imagine if the developers see that vid they'll go oh fuck maybe we should have thought the multiplier logic through a bit more.
chaining the slash attacks requires pretty precise timing and alignment. pro play makes it look easy but it's really not.
I personally think the multiplier logic for combos is good enough as it is (as it caps out at 8x).
Have you reached Stage 4 yet? I'm having a hard time as Stage 3 is so freaking hard (but that music is so good).
glitch

Post by glitch »

dude i'm only just starting to make it into stage 3 finally. ^^;

managing about 3 extends on stage 1 now...
bombs save lives
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Full game scoring run by the same guy who made that stage 1 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYMI81KbVBA

The game certainly looks interesting, hope I can play it someday. It seems like learning the chains is really the key to survival since you get some lengthy invulnerability frames between each cut too.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Zaarock wrote:Full game scoring run by the same guy who made that stage 1 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYMI81KbVBA

The game certainly looks interesting, hope I can play it someday. It seems like learning the chains is really the key to survival since you get some lengthy invulnerability frames between each cut too.
How long did it take Metal Torrent to get localized? Only other localized 3DS-compatible shmups I know of are Xevious, and Twinbee (both classic-ish arcade games), and Recca (which was doubtless pretty cheap to localize since it's emulated and I don't think needed to be translated or anything like that. Just the manual, so quite cheap to do).
Just trying to figure out if it's already past the cut off for probably never gonna get localized.
1) Create Scoring System
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

LordHypnos wrote:
Zaarock wrote:Full game scoring run by the same guy who made that stage 1 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYMI81KbVBA

How long did it take Metal Torrent to get localized? Only other localized 3DS-compatible shmups I know of are Xevious, and Twinbee (both classic-ish arcade games), and Recca (which was doubtless pretty cheap to localize since it's emulated and I don't think needed to be translated or anything like that. Just the manual, so quite cheap to do).
Just trying to figure out if it's already past the cut off for probably never gonna get localized.
Some DSiWare has still been coming, though mostly match 3 games. Chain Blaster for 3DS also got localized. A couple Konami NES shmups, Gradius and Life Force, are on the US VC, as well.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

BrianC wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:

Some DSiWare has still been coming, though mostly match 3 games. Chain Blaster for 3DS also got localized. A couple Konami NES shmups, Gradius and Life Force, are on the US VC, as well.
Oh yeah, I totally knew that, actually. hahaha. just forgot. Also there's that one G.Rev game (name is escaping me for some reason).
Anyway, we can hope, I guess.
1) Create Scoring System
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Kokuga, though that one isn't really a shmup.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

yes it is
Aleksei wrote:Looks like a game similar to those from Blue & White.
http://www.geocities.jp/bwohp/soft/product.html
edit: hm, i've found more questions than answers...
LordHypnos wrote:Why is region-locking even still a thing?
to counter reverse imports
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!