Redux (DUX 2) (DC/iOS/Steam), Trailer up - PC Demo out

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Friendly

Re: Redux (DUX 2) for DC/iOS/Steam), Trailer up - Kickstarter

Post by Friendly »

"PLATFORM RELEASE SCHEDULE:

JULY 2012 - iOS/iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch"

So the game is basically ready right now and they want $25,000 USD + 6 months for porting it to DC/PSN/Steam?
Orrpus

Post by Orrpus »

They need the money to port Redux to Steam, Xbox Live Arcade and PSN:
"Our goal is to publish "Redux: Dark Matters" on STEAM, XBLA and PSN. To achieve this, we are offering a Kickstarter exclusive preorder for a Limited Edition of Redux on Sega Dreamcast. Only 1000 copies will be produced ever! It will only be available, right now, exclusively through this Kickstarter campaign.

The required devkits to release on STEAM, XBLA and PSN are costly - so we are offering an exclusive Sega Dreamcast version of Redux: Dark Matters to fund the development for these additional platforms. We want to bring Redux to as many people as possible. Pledging your support directly makes this a reality!

The Sega Dreamcast is one of our personal favorite video game systems. We thought, what better way to reach our goals than to offer something we know or fans would love: a limited edition Sega Dreamcast version! Help keep the Sega Dreamcast alive by preordering a copy of Redux: Dark Matters today!

Supporting our campaign not only helps keep the Dreamcast alive - but directly helps us bring Redux to more platforms and more people."
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Yup yup worthy cause imo
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

Devkits are expensive...
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Why couldn't one of the rewards be a digital copy on Steam/iOS if the kickstarter succeeds? :?
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Zeether wrote:Why couldn't one of the rewards be a digital copy on Steam/iOS if the kickstarter succeeds? :?
My point exactly. That's just wrong. They could at least offer a download for those pledging more than 5 dollars. Unless you pledge $65 USD and up, you basically get nothing for your money.
Gmintyfresh

Post by Gmintyfresh »

The wording in the kickstarter description makes me wonder if they'll offer a "standard" edition of the DC game via an alternative retail source
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

Friendly wrote:
Zeether wrote:Why couldn't one of the rewards be a digital copy on Steam/iOS if the kickstarter succeeds? :?
My point exactly. That's just wrong. They could at least offer a download for those pledging more than 5 dollars. Unless you pledge $65 USD and up, you basically get nothing for your money.
Yeah but what if Valve/Steam declines the game?
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

psoslayer wrote:
Friendly wrote:
Yeah but what if Valve/Steam declines the game?
Not to mention there's a big chance of them denying it, they are known to be assholes towards arcade games.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

I don't see how this would stop them from giving digital copies to those who contributed.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Why couldn't one of the rewards be a digital copy on Steam/iOS if the kickstarter succeeds?
I wouldn't have even bothered if that was the case. I ONLY did it to get the DC release and soundtrack. I hate virtual media.... wait, let me rephrase that. I hate paying for virtual media.

Still it could have been an option for the lower bids.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

It's theoretically possible for creators to give rewards beyond what's mentioned, but that isn't how Kickstarter game projects have "traditionally" worked. I haven't heard of a single such instance so far, and certainly don't expect this to be the first.

I do agree that there should have been a digital release tier though. I wonder if they're taking a wait-and-see approach to release only on platforms that they can afford. As I mentioned, with the relatively low prices they're offering, there's probably not a whole lot going into the devkits. The $25k seems to be enough to justify a DC print run with all expenses involved, not necessarily to fund all digital platform releases.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Looks like this should easily meet its target. $18,655 raised already with 27 days still to go.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

I was about to pledge $65, but no. It's bugging me that I showed my support for the first game, then waited patiently for the promised free fixed version, and now v1.5 is ready "the only time and place it will ever be available" is if I pay for the Limited Edition of Redux: Dark Matters. Not even an apology.
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Now up to $19,142.

I'm actually quite surprised. Even as a contributor, I didn't expect that target to be met.
daliscar

Post by daliscar »

stuntman wrote:I was about to pledge $65, but no. It's bugging me that I showed my support for the first game, then waited patiently for the promised free fixed version, and now v1.5 is ready "the only time and place it will ever be available" is if I pay for the Limited Edition of Redux: Dark Matters. Not even an apology.
This.
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

daliscar wrote:
stuntman wrote:I was about to pledge $65, but no. It's bugging me that I showed my support for the first game, then waited patiently for the promised free fixed version, and now v1.5 is ready "the only time and place it will ever be available" is if I pay for the Limited Edition of Redux: Dark Matters. Not even an apology.
This.
Look at facebook, there will be option to grab up a free revision disc at some point. (if you purchased the original game)
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

$25,000 for DUX 2, huh?

That's just fucking depressing.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Is one of the reward tiers configurable controls?
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Am I the only one who thinks the music is better in DUX than what is shown in the trailer?
Age of Kings

Post by Age of Kings »

Wow, 2 people took the $1000 plunge....

Anyways, I'll be giving my money later today. I'm glad that it's gotten pretty close to its goal and with a bunch of time left.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

wow its not far from hitting the target. I suppose folk like their DC games.
daliscar

Post by daliscar »

psoslayer wrote: Look at facebook, there will be option to grab up a free revision disc at some point. (if you purchased the original game)
If that's true then that's great but please remember that this guy made a whole lot of empty promises before whenever he was asked a direct question about Dux (patch disc, release dates etc etc) and that disc has already been promised and repromised with nothing to show for it.
It certainly looks like this project will reach it's kickstarter target soon so we'll see what happens but I'm guessing lots of delays, lots more false promises and an eventual very late release of a substandard product with no Dux 1.5 and certainly no patch disc, if anything at all.
Sorry to be so negative but I'm just calling it like I see it. if I'm wrong then that would be great for everybody and I'll very happily eat my words.
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

IIRC the promise was to deliver the free disc once it's possible. Which is now.

@lilmanjs
The new music is way better in my ears, it's more modern, more dubsteb, but less video game-ish.
daliscar

Post by daliscar »

psoslayer wrote:IIRC the promise was to deliver the free disc once it's possible. Which is now.
Just read these posts and judge for yourself: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 86#p588086
Time will tell my friend, time will tell :D
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'm not interested in the DC version. If it makes PSN I'll take that version.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

So this is happening now, just passed the $25k!
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

Udderdude wrote:$25,000 for DUX 2, huh?

That's just fucking depressing.
No, this is depressing http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/693 ... ef=popular
bcass

Post by bcass »

Whether you like that kind of game or not, a lot of effort has clearly gone into making it so far. I'm sure some people think that code just magically grows on trees.

This is promising for DUX though. Might encourage more people to dip their toes into shmup development. Sure, 25 grand isn't that much, but I'm sure they can also make money out of selling it to others once it's released.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

I'm glad it made the total so quickly as I didn't have to put into it and it saved me some money :P I'll wait for the PC version. Hopefully the sucess of the KS will go a long way to getting it on Steam.

Its a shame those DC discs don't have the PC version on it as well.

Anyway, congrats psoslayer